Smogon Tournament Finals Game 1 Analysis

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Ehhhhhhhhhh picky time.

Analysis doesn't quite highlight how Gr8's bait for DU's reaction to a potential Crunch was nothing- he simply kept Jellicent in rather than switching to Forry or possibly even Landy looking for a Crunch. Gr8 knowing that DU was not making a switch reaction to bait a Crunch meant that when he brought Forry back in, it immediately gave Gr8 an opportunity to sweep, and he took it. That reaction bait and a lack of a response both times was what defined that entire game

ALSO

You really should never say "The most broken threats in the tier" because it makes the analysis here as a whole lose some credibility. I'm not saying Celebi isn't a very good all-around threat counter/check nor that the game analysis was incorrect, but you really should just use "Some of the most powerful threats in the tier" because you look like a fool when you don't.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
this battle isnt even worth an analysis to be honest.
I competely agree with ToF here, I was pretty dissapointed by the standard of play from both players actually. Now I'm not one to judge, because I've never been in a battle under such pressure, but honestly they both made pretty bad plays. The first misplay is DU leading off with Landorus-T. Maybe he was predicting the Garchomp lead? I'm not sure, but I really think he should have lead out with Celebi, as it can set up SR against basically anything on gr8's team.

The next misplay I see is DU Volt Switching on Gator and going into Jellicent. gr8 would not have SD'd knowing Jellicent is still alive if he didn't have Crunch, so going into Jellicent was a pretty bad play. Most of the Gator's running around are usually bulky and don't run much speed, so even with a minus nature, Celebi was your best bet, as it can tank a +2 Aqua Jet better than anything else on your team.

The next misplay DU makes is switching in Landorus-T after Jellicent is KOed to get the Intimidate attack drop. That's just asking to be SD'd on again, and gr8 makes a great play and just SDs as Lando uses U-turn. Switching in Lando-T wasn't a terrible play, it's the fact that DU didn't go for EQ to get rid of this huge threat.

After Celebi was KOed by Keldeo, it was an easy sweep for gr8. I honestly can't say much else about this battle. DU had a great match up, but he threw away his Gator counters too easily. Jellicent can take on Gator at +0 boosts and Celebi can even take it on at +2 (although I can understnand why you was nevous about using Celebi because of it's nature). gr8 played pretty well by predicting the U turn on Ladorus-T as Gator SDd again I guess, but it was basically over already.

The second battle I think was actually more interesting, as gr8 and DU both made pretty cool double switches, but we all know how that game was going to end.

Ojama

Banned deucer.
I competely agree with ToF here, I was pretty dissapointed by the standard of play from both players actually. Now I'm not one to judge, because I've never been in a battle under such pressure, but honestly they both made pretty bad plays. The first misplay is DU leading off with Landorus-T. Maybe he was predicting the Garchomp lead? I'm not sure, but I really think he should have lead out with Celebi, as it can set up SR against basically anything on gr8's team.

The next misplay I see is DU Volt Switching on Gator and going into Jellicent. gr8 would not have SD'd knowing Jellicent is still alive if he didn't have Crunch, so going into Jellicent was a pretty bad play. Most of the Gator's running around are usually bulky and don't run much speed, so even with a minus nature, Celebi was your best bet, as it can tank a +2 Aqua Jet better than anything else on your team.

The next misplay DU makes is switching in Landorus-T after Jellicent is KOed to get the Intimidate attack drop. That's just asking to be SD'd on again, and gr8 makes a great play and just SDs as Lando uses U-turn. Switching in Lando-T wasn't a terrible play, it's the fact that DU didn't go for EQ to get rid of this huge threat.
Yah so don't judge please, no one knows that Feraligatr is used with a Bulky Spread and is slower than a -Speed Nature Celebi, I'm sorry but DU didn't make a mistake by not sending Celebi. He made a mistake by not sending in Tyranitar. As I already said it, DU had the team matchup advantage, but it's pretty easy to judge when you aren't the one playing. I guess we can just congratulate gr8 for how he played during this game because I'm pretty sure no one would have risked to Swords Dance again with Feraligatr, and no one would have switched out vs Jellicent when he had +1 Feraligatr (I'm almost sure Fera was Expert Belt and it was Special Wall Jellicent which means +1 Fera kills with Crunch after Stealth Rock.) And even if it was Physical Wall Jellicent which means Jellicent takes like 80% after Stealth Rock, Keldeo would have destroyed the rest of DU's Team. I don't know if Gr8 really thought about that during the game or just switched out because he thought Crunch didn't kill, but when I was watching the game I immediately thought about that (especially after seeing it had Crunch). Pretty sure it was a feint from Gr8 which was really well played.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yes but Celebi was still his best bet. I'm pretty sure gr8 didn't know Celebi's nature, so DU could have bluffed it moderately well, as he couldn't really do anything else. I understand that they may have misplayed because of pressure, but I'm just trying to point out his mistakes for less experienced players. I don't think I'd play without any misplays in such a big game, and you have to give them both credit for making it this far.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Yah so don't judge please, no one knows that Feraligatr is used with a Bulky Spread and is slower than a -Speed Nature Celebi, I'm sorry but DU didn't make a mistake by not sending Celebi. He made a mistake by not sending in Tyranitar. As I already said it, DU had the team matchup advantage, but it's pretty easy to judge when you aren't the one playing. I guess we can just congratulate gr8 for how he played during this game because I'm pretty sure no one would have risked to Swords Dance again with Feraligatr, and no one would have switched out vs Jellicent when he had +1 Feraligatr (I'm almost sure Fera was Expert Belt and it was Special Wall Jellicent which means +1 Fera kills with Crunch after Stealth Rock.) And even if it was Physical Wall Jellicent which means Jellicent takes like 80% after Stealth Rock, Keldeo would have destroyed the rest of DU's Team. I don't know if Gr8 really thought about that during the game or just switched out because he thought Crunch didn't kill, but when I was watching the game I immediately thought about that (especially after seeing it had Crunch). Pretty sure it was a feint from Gr8 which was really well played.
Expert belt is a poor item on Feraligatr. It was most probably mystic watet or splash plate

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Gr8 takes advantage of his opponent's stupidity. Typical good playing. It just goes to show that the better player always wins. Team matchup isn't everything, like a few players have tried spamming in discussion threads a few months ago (I won't point you guys out, but I feel this is clear evidence that the better player always wins). If he had played better, Gr8 would have lost no doubt, as he was at a huge disadvantage. Gr8 pulls through though, and takes the win. Very deserving win in my honest opinion.

I would go more into the battle but I simply don't think what I could cover is going to get anywhere closer than the posters before me. Simply put: Gr8 won because of his opponent's misplays and playing better. Kudos ;o

one match where the player with the upper hand team-wise doesn't capitalise on it does not mean the better player "always wins". this generation, i have been in/seen games where this is not the case more often than not in games involving sun and/or rain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)