Smogon University: Now Home of the Best VGC Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Aldaron's request, I did a shitton of work on a custom version of the server to get you guys better VGC support. Namely, you now have 1 minute per turn, and there's a 15-minute overall game timer. Read more here and consider having your VGC battles on our server.

Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Did you get the 1:30 minute time limit for team preview? I always use the extra 30 seconds in tourneys.

This looks great, thanks a lot for all of the hard work gone into this, it should definitely help out when it comes to prepping for regionals!

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's ironic that we have a thread discussing the fact that playing a lot on PO is detrimental, and at the same time have a thread advertising playing on PO xD

Seriously, this looks great, thanks Antar!

There will still be trolls and android users on the Smogon server 9.9

Also, this is really awesome! Thank you for all your hard work, hopefully we more VGC players on SU now. I really look forward as you guys move on to simulating it like the real games with animations for moves and weather effects. Great job!

Great work, I remember asking coyotte508 once if a minute timer could be implemented eventually for PO so VGC can have an easier time to practice. Gives a reason to go play VGC on the Smogon server, but time limit like that so much more stressful, no damage calcs can't be done to practice with for later, but point to stress is still, this is the best for regionals practice.

Thank you for thinking about the VGC community and making update :D

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice work, although I think without the communitcation time and battle animations it isn't quite the same. I'm not too sure about others but I tend to find I do a lot of my thinking for my next move while the battle animations for the previous turn are running. Though, those are pretty hard to emulate. Still good practice running on the timer.

btw, what does it choose if your timer runs out?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
You know, actually he's got an important point. I don't at all want to downplay the work that you put into this, but paying attention to the animations in normal "cart-based" gameplay is extremely important, and really is the only reason that I don't play much PO at all. The way that PO spits out the information is so foreign and unusual and hard to keep track of. Its not at all like playing on a cart.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I urge our users to use Smogon University for VGC testing as while it is not perfect, it more closely emulates the real VGC and can further prepare you for Regionals and beyond. Smogon University also has a very intricate statistical analysis for stats that can help shape your teams.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I still experience so much lag on the server that my moves aren't even registered. Twice already I've "lost" a match even when I've selected my moves very early in the 1-minute selection period.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I still experience so much lag on the server that my moves aren't even registered. Twice already I've "lost" a match even when I've selected my moves very early in the 1-minute selection period.
Lag issues will be taken care of on Wednesday with a server update.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know, actually he's got an important point. I don't at all want to downplay the work that you put into this, but paying attention to the animations in normal "cart-based" gameplay is extremely important, and really is the only reason that I don't play much PO at all. The way that PO spits out the information is so foreign and unusual and hard to keep track of. Its not at all like playing on a cart.
What R Inanimate meant is that the attack animations don't take away from the 1 minute turn timer (although it does from the 15 minute match timer) and that time is often used to think about what your next move should be. Your criticism is more about Pokemon Online in general and isn't related to this update, although I know the PO guys are working on some attack animations to be more like Pokemon Showdown.

In any case, great work Antar =) Should help cut down a little on strategies used on the simulator that aren't viable in real competitive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)