Smogon University PO Statistics — June 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one problem I have with Rivalry is that it is a high risk/high reward ability and it's a nuisance when you don't get the boost and end up failing to KO at key moments.

Of course if you manage to get the boost you can score key KO's that probably wouldn't of have happened.

How about PK Gaming's boosted Haxorus? Well let's see the results:

Rivarly Swords Dance Haxorus (male) vs. Physically Defensive Skarm (Male and Female)
Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Rivalry
Adamant Nature
252 atk EVs
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Brick Break/taunt

Skarmory @ shed shell/ leftovers
Ability: sturdy
Impish Nature
252 HP/ 252 Def EV's

Rivalry Boosted Outrage (+0) does 32.3% - 38.3%
Rivalry Hindered Outrage (+0) does 19.8% - 23.4%
Rivalry Boosted Outrage (+2) does 64.7% - 76.3%
Rivalry Hindered Outrage (+2) does 39.2% - 46.1%

So that shows how much different Boosted and hindered Rivalry makes a difference between a 2hko and a 3hko (counting roost it's a 3hko with + rivalry and set-up bait with - rivalry).

It's great when it boosts but you can cost yourself the match if rivalry hinders your attack.

Well I guess Ferrothorn, Tyranitar and Politoed should enjoy their time in the spot light while they can, as soon as Tech Breloom is released there is and answer for all three of them meaning Scizor and Gliscor should continue to rise when it becomes released.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
good point, although technician breloom can take Scizor and Gliscor with relative ease as well.

252 Atk Adamant Breloom Mach Punch vs. 248 HP Adamant Scizor: 40.8 - 48.7: OHKO after rocks and an SD on average.

252 Atk Adamant Breloom Bullet Seed (Three hits) vs. 252 HP/252 Def Impish Gliscor: 44.1% - 53.4%: OHKO after SD and rocks.

Please note he also gets Spore for Scizor.

I think we can just stop discussing about Rivalry Haxorus. Frankly, Rivalry is a TERRIBLE ability, since you cannot control the gender of the opposing Pokemon. The only Pokemon in OU that has fixed genders are the genies, Blissey and the genderless guys.

Sure, you can run female, but on a normal battler that doesn't change gender, you lose power against anything that isn't Blissey. If you run male, a random noob running a female Skarmory wins. :/

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It was just a suggestion geez. Like I said before, Rivalry is good once you get a feel for the ladder and that power boost should never be underestimated. I do prefer Mold Breaker (simply because its one of the coolest abilities in the game bar none) but I'd like to give Rivalry credit where credit is due. It deserves that much at least.

@ steamroll, Mold Breaker is a superior ability on the Swords Dance set.

I change as many of my pokes as possible to female because of random Rivalry and Attract users....

To try to change the subject...will Gastrodon be OU in the near future? Because I have been seeing it everywhere and its actually pretty good

i'd say gastrodon is a definite OU material
it counters the three main weathers really well, especially rain team
fucking with thundurus for instance is too awesome to pass up
i have no idea why swamper it up there with the OU dudes however

I haven't seen a Swampert yet in 5th gen. However, the usage stats haven't been updated yet, and I doubt it will be in OU for much longer. I've seen Gastrodon on a lot of teams though. Swampert basically has nothing over Quagsire and Gastrodon except that it can set up Stealth Rock and phaze, but the lack of recovery definitely demolishes that advantage.

I haven't seen a Swampert yet in 5th gen. However, the usage stats haven't been updated yet, and I doubt it will be in OU for much longer. I've seen Gastrodon on a lot of teams though. Swampert basically has nothing over Quagsire and Gastrodon except that it can set up Stealth Rock and phaze, but the lack of recovery definitely demolishes that advantage.
on PO, which shares very similar stats as smogon's, swampert is mid-OU still.

Good to see that people finally see that thick fat mamoswine is a good counter to dragonite, specially defensive jirachi, balloon heatran, and other things.

Yeah PKG I realize that. I was just making an example with a swords dance haxorus (which was the first haxorus set that came to my mind).

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Good to see that people finally see that thick fat mamoswine is a good counter to dragonite, specially defensive jirachi, balloon heatran, and other things.
Unfortunately, Thick Fat Mamo can't legally learn Ice Shard, Superpower, Icicle Spear, or Stealth Rock which makes it a pretty lousy alternative to the regular Snow Cloak version.

Also, Mamoswine can't switch directly into any of those. I think the word you are looking for is "check", not counter.

@Swampert in OU - I believe many people are still caught in the 4th Gen mindset when Stealth Rock was a mandatory on every team and Swampert was one of the better users of the move (as well as a decent phazer).

Kind of like Raikou was OU at the beginning of 4th generation because it was such a good sweeper in the previous gen.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Short Answer: YES

Long Answer: Its higher than Pokemon like Mew, Mamoswine, Gastrodon, Slowbro, etc despite being significantly worse than them. Its even worse than E-vire was in gen IV.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Fifth gen does not have an electivire. Even the over hyped pokemon ended up being moderately good in OU.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Honestly, Swampert isn't that bad. It's a good check to sand threats, gets a boosted Waterfall in the rain, counters Thundurus and Jirachi, sets up SR and can Roar to rack up hazard damage. I might make a Swampert team just to troll you guys with.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't think so. Swampert was a great Pokemon in the last two gens. Electivire was never good, just overhyped.
Clearly you haven't played DP without Platinum to say that. Electivire never was top-tier, but to say it was "never good"?

The real overhype here is the "Electivire was overhyped" one.

CB Pert in the rain can be a pretty big threat to teams lacking Rotom-W. Waterfall in the rain hurts a lot. It does something around 40%+ to Latios switching in. Superpower smacks incoming Ferrothorn, Earthquake is powerful STAB and Ice Punch can be thrown on for even better coverage even though you won't use it much. With 252 HP and no defensive investment 'Pert is still very bulky and can take on threats such as Terrakion, Tyranitar, GK-less Thundurus, unboosted Excadrill.

It's not an amazing poke by any means, but with rain support and hazards it can make huge dents in teams. Wish support would make it even more dangerous.

It has no answer to Rotom-W, however.

CB Pert in the rain can be a pretty big threat to teams lacking Rotom-W. Waterfall in the rain hurts a lot. It does something around 40%+ to Latios switching in. Superpower smacks incoming Ferrothorn, Earthquake is powerful STAB and Ice Punch can be thrown on for even better coverage even though you won't use it much. With 252 HP and no defensive investment 'Pert is still very bulky and can take on threats such as Terrakion, Tyranitar, GK-less Thundurus, unboosted Excadrill.

It's not an amazing poke by any means, but with rain support and hazards it can make huge dents in teams. Wish support would make it even more dangerous.

It has no answer to Rotom-W, however.
specs swampert

scald
ice beam
earth power
hp grass

I'm sorry but I have to agree with PK on Pert. It isn't THAT bad of a Pokemon, but really when building a team there are so many better options and you'll probably usually find a Pokemon that does Pert's job a lot better. Pert isn't exactly bad but it doesn't belong in OU.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@Swampert in OU - I believe many people are still caught in the 4th Gen mindset when Stealth Rock was a mandatory on every team and Swampert was one of the better users of the move (as well as a decent phazer).
Stealth Rock is more crucial than last gen imo, not only for breaking Focus Sashes, but more relevantly, to deactivate Sturdy and Multiscale. There are also several powerful threats that are hit hard by Stealth Rock, namely Volcarona, Ninetales, Dragonite, and Thundurus. It also discourages people from spamming Volt Switches and U-turns willy-nilly when such users are in low health.

Clearly you haven't played DP without Platinum to say that. Electivire never was top-tier, but to say it was "never good"?

The real overhype here is the "Electivire was overhyped" one.
I haven't played DP competitively (well, I tried, but after playing a few games I refused to play in a metagame with Garchomp and Wobba allowed), but I lurked quite a bit, and looking at old Shoddy usage stats, early DP wasn't such a kind metagame to Electivire at all. He couldn't really touch popular walls like Cresselia, Swampert, Forretress, Bronzong and Tangrowth (which I recall was OU for a short time). As far as Electric moves are considered, he could switch into Thunder Wave from the ridiculously popular Blissey (a possible throwback from 3 gen?), Cress (which walled E-vire anyways) and maybe Togekiss. Thunderbolt was used by Pokemon like Gengar, Starmie and Jolteon, but E-Vire would likely lose if he came in on anything but T-bolt. Finally he could also switch in on itself, but then he risked a KO from a predicted Earthquake. Sorry, I just cannot imagine Electivire popularity being driven by anything but hype (man, I still remember the obnoxious slogan "HITS 13 TYPES SUPEREFFECTIVELY!!!").

Stealth Rock is more crucial than last gen imo, not only for breaking Focus Sashes, but more relevantly, to deactivate Sturdy and Multiscale. There are also several powerful threats that are hit hard by Stealth Rock, namely Volcarona, Ninetales, Dragonite, and Thundurus. It also discourages people from spamming Volt Switches and U-turns willy-nilly when such users are in low health.
You are obviously right, but I also found that SR is much harder to set up and maintain throughout the whole match than in the previous gen, mainly due to extremely aggressive nature of the metagame. I found myself forgoing Stealth Rock on some of my teams and doing alright, something which was simply unimaginable in the previous gen.

At the end of the day, other pokemon can learn Stealth Rock if your team really needs Gastrodon more than Swampert. Gastrodon would have major 4 moveslot syndrome if it learned Stealth Rock anyways, and wouldn't be able to beat pokemon it normally checks like Rotom-W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)