1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon University PO Statistics — June 2011

Discussion in 'BW Competitive Discussion' started by Rising_Dusk, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaxx

Jaxx

I'm sorry but I have to agree with PK on Pert. It isn't THAT bad of a Pokemon, but really when building a team there are so many better options and you'll probably usually find a Pokemon that does Pert's job a lot better. Pert isn't exactly bad but it doesn't belong in OU.
  2. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Stealth Rock is more crucial than last gen imo, not only for breaking Focus Sashes, but more relevantly, to deactivate Sturdy and Multiscale. There are also several powerful threats that are hit hard by Stealth Rock, namely Volcarona, Ninetales, Dragonite, and Thundurus. It also discourages people from spamming Volt Switches and U-turns willy-nilly when such users are in low health.
  3. Redtype

Redtype

I haven't played DP competitively (well, I tried, but after playing a few games I refused to play in a metagame with Garchomp and Wobba allowed), but I lurked quite a bit, and looking at old Shoddy usage stats, early DP wasn't such a kind metagame to Electivire at all. He couldn't really touch popular walls like Cresselia, Swampert, Forretress, Bronzong and Tangrowth (which I recall was OU for a short time). As far as Electric moves are considered, he could switch into Thunder Wave from the ridiculously popular Blissey (a possible throwback from 3 gen?), Cress (which walled E-vire anyways) and maybe Togekiss. Thunderbolt was used by Pokemon like Gengar, Starmie and Jolteon, but E-Vire would likely lose if he came in on anything but T-bolt. Finally he could also switch in on itself, but then he risked a KO from a predicted Earthquake. Sorry, I just cannot imagine Electivire popularity being driven by anything but hype (man, I still remember the obnoxious slogan "HITS 13 TYPES SUPEREFFECTIVELY!!!").

You are obviously right, but I also found that SR is much harder to set up and maintain throughout the whole match than in the previous gen, mainly due to extremely aggressive nature of the metagame. I found myself forgoing Stealth Rock on some of my teams and doing alright, something which was simply unimaginable in the previous gen.
  4. GtM

GtM

At the end of the day, other pokemon can learn Stealth Rock if your team really needs Gastrodon more than Swampert. Gastrodon would have major 4 moveslot syndrome if it learned Stealth Rock anyways, and wouldn't be able to beat pokemon it normally checks like Rotom-W.
  5. SHUCKLE MAN

SHUCKLE MAN

With Electivire, it's not actually as bad as most people say, but originally, there was a lot of hype around Electivire (look at my join date), and it wasn't quite that good, which I think annoyed a lot of people, so some people started making out that Electivire was actually the worst Pokemon in existance, completely useless, blah blah blah, in an attempt to combat the overratedness of it (some people have admitted to doing that, if you look at past threads on this).

The result now is that Electivire is probably now underrated, if anything, that n00bs come along saying "Electivire sucks", because all the top players say that constantly, so the n00bs think if they say it too it makes them look cool and skilled at Pokemon.

But I think the saddest thing is that 4 years later people are still repeating "Electivire sucks", even though people stopped going on about its type coverage years ago. Kind of sad really. I think everybody gets it now!
  6. SJCrew

SJCrew Believer, going on a journey...
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Swampert's answer to Rotom-W is destroying it with Waterfall or Superpower, since both do half or more. Standard Rotom really isn't even bulky.
  7. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

p-2 in uu noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. there is NOTHING in uu for it besides medicham. the world has ended. Glad to see Celebi back in OU. Also Politoed deserves the usage. I particulary see the specs set
  8. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Standard Swampert deals (33% - 39.2%) with Waterfall and (66.3% - 78%) with Superpower VS standard Rotom. It seems like a good enough check to me. Sure Waterfall OHKOes in the rain but a Rain boosted Hydro Pump from Rotom-W Obliterates Swampert.
  9. Rackham

Rackham

QFT. Its also much harder to spinblock without Rotom-A in particular, Rapid Spin Excadrill beating every spinblocker hands down. Although going without SR leaves you somewhat more open to threats like DDnite and Volcarona. Stealth Rocks no longer dominate the opening half of the match and to some extent drive the metagame.
  10. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

True but there are ways around that, for example if you're an offensive team forgoing SR chances are you have something like ScarfTerakkion sitting in the wings to revenge those two threats that try to sset up.
  11. AfroThunderRule

AfroThunderRule *yawn* ez
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hate being that guy but when can we expect stats?
  12. GtM

GtM

We usually get them about a week into the month, so unless circumstances have changed significantly you can probably expect them then.

Predictions, everyone?

I'm going to be a biased little bitch and say Gastrodon will rise about ten places, maybe more. I've seen it in so many battles and in so many RMTs that I wouldn't be surprised if it was OU now. I certainly see it more than Tornadus :P
  13. Ewil

Ewil

QFT

Gastro is so awesome and can wall a lot of threats. To not mention his presence in a lot of team, and the tabloo RMT rends the defensive anti-weather core gastro-heat-skarm very famous, so, this three guys will climb the stats.
    Kingdra also will see a little climb since is another good anti-rain poke.
    Dugtrio is another anti-weather-inducer, used in a lot of sun teams, personally i see him more suitable in a rain team since he kill ninetails and dents Tyranitar.
    Haxorus and Magnezone can climb well and Gorebyss will fall a little.

For now that's the first impression that i have.
  14. TickingSeedotBomb

TickingSeedotBomb

Porygon 2 will drop a good amount and people will be pissed initially about his presence in UU but I have a feeling we'll get used to him (or he may end up in BL, but who knows?) Tornadus will climb for sure! I've been seeing him a lot even on non-rain teams.
  15. fatsnorlax

fatsnorlax

I think Toad will pass T-Tar in usage and Gastrdon will be OU.

/awaitingauguststats
  16. BTzz

BTzz spams overhand rights
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I've seen a rise in sun teams so I expect Ninetales to move up maybe 3-4 spots.
  17. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

I think Latias is going to rise signifigantly. I also forsee a slight rise in Terrakion.
  18. Jayde

Jayde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Celebi up, Gastrodon up, Politoed up, Latias up
  19. AccidentalGreed

AccidentalGreed HOMERUN, CABRONES
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

With the influx of Thundurus and Rotom-W in OU, Gastrodon may actually replace something in OU.

I don't know about you guys, but I find Gastro more useful than Swampert in general. Don't expect it to take Choiced Outrages or Tricks to the face, though. Gee, if Thundurus were to use Grass Knot now...just like how Rotom-W is using Hidden Power Grass. (...On the other hand, this gives Virizion and many Dragon-types excellent opportunities to set up in front of it)
  20. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¡YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Gastrodon is immensely better than Swampert. All Swampert has is Stealth Rock, better physical defense, and a phazing move. With Storm Drain and the all important recovery move, Gastrodon easily surpasses Swampert. Maybe if Swampert gets a recovery move outside of Rest it can stand up to the heat that Gastrodon brings to the table.
  21. bluemon

bluemon

dont forget that immunity to explosion ;)
    Nahh.. he loses stealth rock then.
  22. tomtom5858

tomtom5858

Who the hell uses Explosion?
  23. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

I have seen Doexys-S on like every other team I saw today, I can say he is atleast going up a bit.
  24. Chieliee

Chieliee

Whimsicott wil fall a lot. tbh, I haven't seen it once during my battles (but that could be because I was so high up the ladders all the time :D)

no seriously:
    50% of the people with a rating of 900 or lower use whimsicott
    1% of the people above a rating of 900 use whimiscott

o.o
  25. fatsnorlax

fatsnorlax

I see a rise of Rotom-W as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)