Smogon University PO Statistics — October 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Dugtrio is OU now? ... Why? IMO, Dugtrio isn't even good.

Jolteon OU now? Meh, Jolteon's alright. It's definitely worthy of OU, but I tried Jolteon, and it's just..... Meh.

Gliscor still being high in usage isn't that surprising, as it can wall non-Ice Punch variants of Lucario to death.

Also, what really stood out to me is that WHIMSICOTT is in RU range now. Don't worry RU, the key to beating Whimsicott is patience.

Kyogre #1 in Ubers is so obvious.

Specs Tornadus Hurricane spam definitely making itself evident in usage. It's just too consistent and good to not use if you're running rain.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lucario and Terrakion!

Lead Deoxys-S is the face of most offensive teams and it being at #2 in lead usage is pretty telling of how fast paced OU is right now. I really though Ninetales would rise, but I guess not:/

All hail king Dragonite.

Hey antar can you calculate the most common users of the choice items? Just cruious
Thanks man
*I* can't, because battle logs don't record items, but starting with November's stats, Innocent Criminal will be releasing separate results for movesets and, presumably, item usage,

Dugtrio is OU now? ... Why? IMO, Dugtrio isn't even good.

Jolteon OU now? Meh, Jolteon's alright. It's definitely worthy of OU, but I tried Jolteon, and it's just..... Meh.
Once again, tiers only get updated once every three months. Trio will have to sustain this usage for another two months to get into OU.

Also, what really stood out to me is that WHIMSICOTT is in RU range now. Don't worry RU, the key to beating Whimsicott is patience.
Whimsicott is underrepresented because the tiers were only changed halfway through the month.

To everyone hating on Dnite: if history repeats itself, Grey tutors will make Dragonite wake up. I really hope not, though, because I love Dragonite, but it is pretty darn likely.

But more than anything else, my support goes to the final OU veterans. Starmie and Gengar, who have survived through it all, are both sitting in the top 20, at #15 and #18, respectively. Hopefully Gamefreak will notice this and give some love in Grey to the only Pokemon who have been OU since the game's beginning.

To everyone hating on Dnite: if history repeats itself, Grey tutors will make Dragonite wake up.
None of us are hating on Dragonite (at least I'm not...) all were saying is its overrated, which you must admit is true.
EDIT: Thundur messing up my perfect plan >.>

None of us are hating on Dragonite (at least I'm not...) all were saying is its overrated, which you must admit is true.
dragonite can go fuck himself.
Eh.

To your credit, D-nite isnt too bad to handle. Poison or burn him and he's useless. SR ruins him. every turn is a struggle to regain and/or maintain Multiscale. But even so, #1 in usage speaks volumes for its awesomeness.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
waterwarrior said:
I don't think Dragonite is overrated at all. Between his three best sets (DD+Lum, SubDD and M_Dragonite) he can fill a role on almost any team and he is one of the few Pokemon in the metagame that is truly, consistently unpredictable. Best Pokemon in the metagame? Well, I'd give that honor to Tyranitar/Politoed because of the importance of weather but outside of those two? Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that.

| 1 | Octillery | 459 | 0.119% | 1.35±1.28 | 4.67±3.08 |
| 1 | Slaking | 179 | 0.271% | 0.92±0.79 | 4.34±2.45 |
| 1 | Swanna | 157 | 0.505% | 1.01±0.97 | 4.12±2.51 |
| 1 | Ursaring | 381 | 4.904% | 1.13±1.05 | 3.47±1.70 |
| 1 | Palkia | 3359 | 22.933% | 0.97±1.07 | 4.02±2.54 |
Octillery? Dafuq is dis? XD

Slaking? Yea, I can see that. Not that prominent, but when he shows up, don't underestimate him.

Swanna? That has the same dafuq value as Octillery XD

Ursaring? Pretty sweet in NU, can't knock it.

And Palkia? If you knock it in Ubers, play more.

| 1 | Ambipom | 3662 | 0.950% | 0.61±0.83 | 4.68±2.63 |
| 1 | Ambipom | 2686 | 4.069% | 0.52±0.78 | 4.73±2.65 |
| 1 | Kangaskhan | 311 | 1.000% | 1.03±1.06 | 5.80±3.27 |
| 1 | Gurdurr | 248 | 3.192% | 1.04±1.20 | 6.02±3.91 |
| 1 | Smeargle | 122 | 0.833% | 0.05±0.22 | 4.11±2.18 |
| 1 | Aipom | 121 | 3.150% | 0.65±0.78 | 5.19±2.84 |
Move over Dragonite, Ambipom is the king in TWO TIERS. (Note how the top 3 all have Fake Out...) EDIT: Smeargle has it too, not that it uses it, so don't Sketch-nazi me.

Kangaskhan? In the same vein as Ambipom, only because Fake Out. Only.

Gurdurr? That thing has INSANE defenses after a Bulk Up, not surprised at all.

Smeargle? BP = staying on the field, not a huge surprise.

Aipom = like father like son I guess XD

Bow down to Dragonite, the new king of OU (but only barely. Scizor almost took that place niggaaa)

Roserade definitely deserves the UU spot. Most diverse and overall useful Pokemon in UU easily. Claydol topping RU doesn't make sense, and Mesprit in NU makes sense because she's just overall very solid for that tier.

Then I don't play Ubers or LC so idk about that shit.

But most of this is looking good. This is the best the OU metagame has been in a long time.

@waterwarrior -- first off, the error bars (and the results themselves) pretty much make these metrics a joke.

Turns in per battle, I think is valid, but KOs per battle I think should be divided up into two separate measures:

-odds of getting at least ONE KO in a battle
-if it gets at least one KO, what's the average number of KOs it'll get?

Regarding Octillery, specifically: that would be people abusing the hell out of the Moody ban being broken.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the stats!

It looks like Dragonite has finally claimed his throne, which he's extremely justified in claiming, due to his sheer sweeping capabilities, lack of a universal counter and Multiscale which goes hand in hand with the aforementioned traits to create a fearsome threat.

Tyranitar fell quite a bit [by Tyranitar's standards], and it seems like Rotom-W and Scizor [collectively as well as separately] are still dominating the metagame.

Dugtrio's great surge actually doesn't surprise me one bit, it's a great partner for weather teams since it takes out opposing Tyranitar and opposing Ninetales, as well as for Sun Teams in particular because it also beats Heatran, one of the two best counters [Latias being the other] for Sun and we all know of weather's prevalence in the OU metagame. Dugtrio also makes an amazing sweeping partner for Reuniclus, since it traps and takes out two of its most solid counters: SpDef Jirachi and CB Tar, although the latter is more of a check.

I will admit, however, that Jolteon's ranking surprises me, perhaps Stone's team got popular? Although, Jolteon is definitely a great rain abuser, so it's most likely deserving of its spot.

I dont really know what to start with, so I'll just start with the things that I'm upset with

Volcarona-Ok, fuck everyone who hasn't been using this thing. I know, I know, it needs spinner support, but so do 90% of mons on a sun team. Run the ChestoRest set on a sun team with Quiver Dance, Fiery Dance, and Bug Buzz, and this thing destroys EVERYTHING. Seriously, this thing should be cemented in the top 20 with those stats and Quiver Dance. Message- USE VOLCARONA MORE!!

Reuniclus-Again, use this more. The CM set rapes stall and the TR set rapes offense. I dont know how this thing has dropped to 22. Its so good. Psychic is a mediocre STAB, but still. Use this thing, its really good and should also be top 15.

Dragonite-This thing is impossible to kill, has huge attack, and a great boosting move, yet something doesn't feel right about it being #1. I don't know, I see it on nearly every team, and its really really good, but it just doesn't feel like #1. Anyone else get this vibe. It makes sense, it just feels wrong

And Finally

Tentacruel and Starmie-What the fuck. I dont know how Reuniclus and Volc aren't top 20 but these bitches are. I know, rapid spin is great for Sun, Dnite, and just in general. And Tentacruel can rain stall, i know, i just dont get it. Starmie has a tiny, tiny SpAtk, and Tentacruel just sits there after is spins and Tspikes. Ughh.. These things aren't as good as theyre being made out to be.

Now, I'll move onto things I do like :D

Terrakion-FUCK YEAH! FINALLY GETTING THE USAGE YOU'VE ALWAYS DESERVED. But seriously, Terrakion's always been one of the best physical attackers/sweepers in OU, yet its hovered around in the Upper 20s. People thought Excadrill outclassed it, but they just served different roles. CB Terrakion kills everything with Stone Miss (when it hits) and the Almighty Close Combat, and it wrecks stall teams, while the Scarf Set molests offense. Then, there's the Double Booster, that can do either. But #13 is good for Terrakion, and I think it belongs there, though being in the top 10 would be awesome!

Chansey and Blissey-People are finally realizing that Chansey is way better than Blissey, except on Sand. Its sooo much bulkier. Plus, I think itll be good for Chansey to not be in UU anymore, as once the opponent's Machamp is dead, it walls everything but like CB Darmanitan. Also, how is Blissey still where it is. I've honestly seen like 1 Blissey in the last month.

Starmie is one of the best overall utility Pokemon that's ever existed. It's a great counter to a few select sweepers like Gyarados, has incredible type coverage that actually makes it way more powerful than you think (specs hydro pump in the rain? good luck). It spins, it recovers, it takes status...it's one of the best Pokemon Game Freak has ever made, and that's evident in the fact that it has NEVER been less than OU in any generation.

Also, Charizard in OU has significantly dropped, which saddens me. The specs set is hands down the most bad-ass mofo to be found in all of pokemon. A solar power specs boosted timid Fire Blast in the sun does ~165% of the damage of adamant CB Haxorus' Outrage. It can 2HKO Blissey, max SpD Gastrodon, max SpD Tentacruel, max SpD Jellicent, and way more, almost all of them without rocks. Run Focus Blast for Heatran and Tyranitar, and fill your remaining moveslots with Air Slash for Chandelure and Flamethrower for accuracy, and you're set. The neccesary spin support is demanded by sun teams anyway (again, you are, right?).
I'm a noob, but I strongly agree with this. I'm using the scarf-set, and when I use it I'm practically laughing like a maniac while spamming fireblast at anything and everything. One thing I'm usually yelling while having such fits is "CHARIZARD IS BACK IN THE BUSINESS BABY"

Starmie is one of the best overall utility Pokemon that's ever existed. It's a great counter to a few select sweepers like Gyarados, has incredible type coverage that actually makes it way more powerful than you think (specs hydro pump in the rain? good luck). It spins, it recovers, it takes status...it's one of the best Pokemon Game Freak has ever made, and that's evident in the fact that it has NEVER been less than OU in any generation.
Pretty much nailed it right here. Starmie is a damn near perfect example of amazing speed and versatility. All of Starmies attributes combined allow it to adapt to whatever niche it needs to in whatever state the metagame is in.

Not really surprised. Dragonite is just used so much. Surprised Quagsire and Tangrowth aren't higher than they are considering DD Nite is the most frequent variant.

Re: trolls in 1337--checking into it now. A manual check found no one with a ranking above 1337 (though one guy had >1100) using Plusle. There may be a bug in my code.
90% sure that was me lol, but I might've been using Minun, don't remember.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nooooo Virizion is falling! Why are you not being used? It's like one of the best offensive pivots in the game. Stop trying to immediately sweep with that thing! You're using him wrong! On the bright side, Latias is going back up. ALL HAIL LATIAS. Best dragon in the game (Fuck off Dragonite).

And...
| 84 | Wobbuffet | 5028 | 1.304% | 0.52±0.66 | 5.09±4.56 |
Come on... when will people realise that Wobb completely trashes teams? You can seriously put the blob in lead position and immediately remove the opposing weather inducer a lot of the time, which usually is an instant gg. Otherwise, you can also set up sweepers like Lucario with it all day.

Oh, and the Ubers ladder looks like OU usage stats, with the prominent Ubers chucked in. Probably because people are still living under a rock and not realised that Excadrill and Thundurus are banned, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)