1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: December 2015 (Read the OP)

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Antar, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnemite

Magnemite
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

because it's complete garbage

that said it's really annoying reading 300 posts about ambipom not dropping when it's pretty clear it won't (at least not for a while)
  2. Thatwackycruton

Thatwackycruton

The worst part about sylveon not dropping is that I mostly see the trashy defensive set that is essentially worse then Clefable in any way. The only reason why anyone would really use sylveon is as a non-mega pixilate wallbreaker. It makes me so mad to see some random sylveon doing what Clefable was doing, only 100 times worse. Yes, it has more special bulk but it has no flamethrower, ice beam, thunder wave, stealth rock, focus blast, or any other notable coverage moves of clef (Shadow Ball?)​
  3. ChrystalFalchion

ChrystalFalchion
    is a Pre-Contributor

Frankly I'm amazed Sylveon has lasted as long as it has in OU. It's not a bad Pokémon to use there, but Clefable often outclasses it and really it would do much better in UU. So would Mew, Celebi, Conkeldurr and in my opinion, Raikou and Jirachi.
  4. cyanize

cyanize

Pangoro was banned in RU, so that's not going to happen.
  5. r3df0x123

r3df0x123

Its kinda sad to that none of the Eeveelutions are viable in OU :(
    Honestly if Sylveon drops it will probably be BL, or at least a better mon then florges, since it still has that Pixilated Hyper Voice coming off its 110 Sp Attk, and cleric options.
  6. Kurona

Kurona

Just because a Pokémon deserves to drop doesn't mean it's unviable. Sylveon is definitely a viable and usable Pokémon in OU otherwise it wouldn't be listed on the VR; it's just... not quite one of the Pokémon you consider first for a team.
  7. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Ultra Ball off of Abyssal Hand for Lele for Guzma for game
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

The OU viability rankings have "it worked once under very specific conditions so it must be good" syndrome and idk how much I'd trust them
    Plancklength likes this.
  8. Cheryl.

Cheryl. Breh
    is a Pre-Contributor

Sylveon is barely viable in OU imo because of all the better Fairies out there, like Clefable who has Magic Guard, actual coverage, and other stuff like Thunder Wave, or Mega Altaria, who while falling out of favor, still has a really good typing and good stats and a movepool, while Sylveon only has a Choice Specs set that hits hard, but is really slow so it is easily revenged. (but yet it still manages to be C+)
    Plancklength likes this.
  9. Celticpride

Celticpride Do your worst, 'cause nothing's gonna stop me now
    is an official Team Rateris a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

The amount of talk about Sylveon / Conk being bad is a little over the top. They're kinda bad, but not even close to some of these out-of-place lower tier mons. I feel like people always look for the worst handful of mons in OU and clamor for them to drop. If / when Sylveon and Conk drop, I fully expect people to jump to Celebi, Dragonite or Mew next and the whole thing will start over.
  10. Miyami~~

Miyami~~

Just stopping by to say how happy I am that you guys gave us Venusaur.
  11. CharizardIsMeh

CharizardIsMeh

I think it's because choice specs pixilate hyper voice hits ridicusly hard everything that doesn't resist it (plz don't use cleric for the love of god) :
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 250-295 (78.3 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 280-330 (82.1 - 96.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Clefable: 303-357 (77 - 90.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (that's cleric clefable with Unaware)
  12. david0895

david0895

If sylveon and conk will drop, I think they should be suspected.
    Conk is like crawdaunt w/out SD.
    Sylveon is like florges but the set with calm mind is less viable
  13. Nightingales

Nightingales

You literally just stated two mons that are currently central in the metagame. They most likely won't be suspected, considering there's loads of offensive and defensive checks and counters.
    Plancklength likes this.
  14. Talpr0ne

Talpr0ne

Literally nothing alike.
  15. cellgoondude

cellgoondude

Just dropping by to say ban Machoke and at least give PU Prinplup if you're gonna take Pelipper :,(
  16. Martin

Martin Abyssal
    is a Live Chat Contributor

So... PU's hazard control now consists of Swanna, Avalugg, Wartortle, Vullaby and Vibrava

Man something needs to drop badly.
    Plancklength likes this.
  17. Based Honker

Based Honker

Armaldo too. Not that great but it still exists.
    Thatwackycruton likes this.
  18. Martin

Martin Abyssal
    is a Live Chat Contributor

Oh yea and that. Pity its almost completely outclassed...
  19. jordanthejq12

jordanthejq12

Why all the hate on Swanna?
  20. Swagodile

Swagodile

Prinplup has a chance of dropping, and PU is pretty much guaranteed to get Cryogonal.
  21. r3df0x123

r3df0x123

If Cryogonal drops to PU I'm guessing that Avalugg will be totally outclassed. The same should apply to Sylveon and Florges. Florges for RU if Sylveon drops, anyone?
  22. Dundies

Dundies
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Pelipper and Vullaby were our best defoggers, but losing Pelipper pretty much leaves us to Vullaby. Swanna is really good offensively but often you're forced to sack it to get off a Defog, meaning it really isn't reliable when actually coming to Defogging itself. Vibrava's typing is nice and all but its so frail and passive that it makes it really easily exploitable (for example free sub for Rotom-F).

Armaldo is our best spinner lol
  23. r3df0x123

r3df0x123

If Cyrogonal drops, will it outclass Armaldo by any chance? It does have that 105 speed after all.
  24. Dundies

Dundies
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

yes, armaldo really isnt that good it just happens that all of our other spinners suck even more!
  25. r3df0x123

r3df0x123

I know, Wartortle and Drilbur (lol jk) are bad.
    Does anyone else think Charizard-Base will eventually descend into the depths of NU?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)