Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: June 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
UU thoughts:
Alakazam: Mega Alakazam let alone its Focus Sashed regular self will be too good. UU isn't much about priority.
Blissey: Beaten my Chansey? Better up your game so you can reclaim territory.
Goodra: No. Too specially bulky.
Infernape: Meinshao just got competition.
Lucario: A bit late for an April Fools joke...
Manaphy: People are saying it's not what it was, but it's still one of the best water sweepers ever in my opinion.
Volcarona: Swampert will now go up in usage to deal with this moth.

UU thoughts:
Alakazam: Mega Alakazam let alone its Focus Sashed regular self will be too good. UU isn't much about priority.
Blissey: Beaten my Chansey? Better up your game so you can reclaim territory.
Goodra: No. Too specially bulky.
Infernape: Meinshao just got competition.
Lucario: A bit late for an April Fools joke...
Manaphy: People are saying it's not what it was, but it's still one of the best water sweepers ever in my opinion.
Volcarona: Swampert will now go up in usage to deal with this moth.
Volcarona gets Giga Drain.

When's the next time the tiers will be implemented on the ladder? Because I doubt that Vaporeon will see any significant use in OU after Baton Pass is (most likely going to be) nerfed.

Oh boy, the new UUs. Though I doubt many of them will live for very long in UU (some may be interesting though).
Volcarona's probably most likely to get the boot, because while Chandelure walls its STABs, it can't do much back to a bulky Volcarona and takes SE from HP Rock, and I suspect Florges may actually run Toxic sometimes now to deal with it (it completely loses otherwise). Bulky waters don't like Giga Drain at all either.
Lucario is probably next in line (I'm not even sure what really can switch into Close Combat / Crunch / Ice Punch repeatedly, although it still has 4MSS to deal with). Maybe Florges will start running more physical defense (Luke doesn't have Iron Head but has Bullet Punch).
Manaphy will probably be a huge thorn to slower teams that lack Blissey, which will lose to CM / Rain Dance / Rest. Not sure what can counter it in UU.
Blissey gives Florges competition as a Wish + Aromatherapy special wall, though they have different resistances, movepool, and stats.
Infernape will likely cause bulky waters (esp. Slowbro) to rise in usage. I doubt it'll be using SR a lot because the only common hazard remover it beats is Forretress.
Alakazam will likely be used like it was last gen OU before priority took over.
I don't have much to say about Goodra besides it being walled by Florges (Sludge Bomb doesn't do enough). I'm not really sure what to say about it.
Overall, it'll be pretty interesting to see how the meta evolves with these new guys.

Volcarona, Infernape, Chandelure, Mega Houndoom, Victini, Darmanitan, Arcanine, and Rotom-H.

More fire spam basically, not to mention Nape + Lucario with Heracross and Mienshao also means more fighting spam ...

welp, gotta put Rhyperior/Trevenant/Slowbro combo now ...

Wow, it's amazing to see how that Baton Pass team by Denniss really sparked a rise in usage of the Baton Pass users. The suspect also is probably having an effect. Should be interesting see if they'll remain after the possible nerf.

"Alakazam, Blissey, Goodra, Infernape, Lucario, Manaphy, Volcarona are now UU"

It's about time Infernape and Goodra will be actually useful in some tier.
Manaphy being in UU is a crime against nature. It won't last long.
i think Blissey and Alakazam have a chance at avoiding the Banhammer, but only time will tell.
There's absolutely no way Lucario is staying UU. It'll go the same route as its mega and then go BL.
Volcarona might stick

Oh man, UU is about to become a whole lot more interesting. In the process of making a UU team with Lucario and Goodra as I write this post.

Wasn't manaphy BL back in UU beta? It is not staying in UU for long, although Goodra and Blissey might have something to say about that. By the way, yay for more offensive threats in UU! Hopefully this will at least lessen the stall, with new fighting types to balance out the presence of Blissey (Assuming it's not put into BL). Mega Alakazam could break the meta but I definitely see Lucario staying, non-mega Lucario is a complete joke in OU. Vaporeon returning to OU is going to force a lot of UU teams to make some changes. Maybe Jellicent will return? Also, kind of proud that Manectric is OU. Seems like people are seeing how good its mega form actually is - the "worst mega" remarks about it are looking kind of silly right now. I would say the same for Gardevoir, but it was never really underestimated.
Jolteon going down to RU is understandable as Raikou and Manectric outclassed it in UU, I feel like it's going to make quite a splash there. Other than that nothing really notable happened in RU, iirc Sableye was BL2 anyway.
NU lost Doublade, Durant, Virizion and Shuckle? Ok, the last one I'm kind of meh about since I didn't really mind it but the good riddance to the other 3. Now we just need to get rid of Sigilyph and Magmortar.

UU is gonna op, but most of those pokes do not need sticky web support, and infernape has a lot of potential in uu, lucario not as much

Antar, do you have an ETA on when the unofficial UUs will be posted?
I'll prioritize Doubles and LC. Try to get them up first thing tomorrow morning.

When's the next time the tiers will be implemented on the ladder? Because I doubt that Vaporeon will see any significant use in OU after Baton Pass is (most likely going to be) nerfed.
The tier changes should already be live (or they will be the next time the server restarts. Or did you mean when's the next tier update? Because the answer to that is: three months, or September 1.

I seeva lot of Rabble about the new UU Mons, but I have ask: Why is Kyurem in the NU bracket??
It was banned in RU, making it BL2. This causes its little early RU usage to register as low overall usage and place Kyurem statistically in NU, even though it can't drop below BL2.

I'm kinda sad about mega manec moving to OU since I used it on like half of my uu teams :/ but it's nice to see people finally realizing how good it is in terms of coverage, power, speed, and even increased bulk (thanks to intimidate.) Oh well. It's gonna be interesting to use the new uu mons though.

Oh boy, the new UUs. Though I doubt many of them will live for very long in UU (some may be interesting though).
Volcarona's probably most likely to get the boot, because while Chandelure walls its STABs, it can't do much back to a bulky Volcarona and takes SE from HP Rock, and I suspect Florges may actually run Toxic sometimes now to deal with it (it completely loses otherwise). Bulky waters don't like Giga Drain at all either.
Lucario is probably next in line (I'm not even sure what really can switch into Close Combat / Crunch / Ice Punch repeatedly, although it still has 4MSS to deal with). Maybe Florges will start running more physical defense (Luke doesn't have Iron Head but has Bullet Punch).
Manaphy will probably be a huge thorn to slower teams that lack Blissey, which will lose to CM / Rain Dance / Rest. Not sure what can counter it in UU.
Blissey gives Florges competition as a Wish + Aromatherapy special wall, though they have different resistances, movepool, and stats.
Infernape will likely cause bulky waters (esp. Slowbro) to rise in usage. I doubt it'll be using SR a lot because the only common hazard remover it beats is Forretress.
Alakazam will likely be used like it was last gen OU before priority took over.
I don't have much to say about Goodra besides it being walled by Florges (Sludge Bomb doesn't do enough). I'm not really sure what to say about it.
Overall, it'll be pretty interesting to see how the meta evolves with these new guys.
Iron Tail Lucario has been becoming more common lately, so I'm pretty sure that people won't be switching in their Florges too often.

Thoughts:

- Three megas have been awarded their rightful place in OU, and I hope they stay there. Welcome, Gardevoir, Manectric and Medicham.
- Volcarona and Mega Alakazam are going to break UU so hard it's not even funny. Blissey is also going to be a bitch.
-I thought Medichamite, Manectite and Gardevoirite (the megastones) were already OU. Is base Manectric, Gardevoir and Medicham Better than Lucario and Infernape?
-Mega Alakazam shouldn't see more usage than the base form, since his best set is Focus Sash. (Isn't it anymore?)
EDIT
kill volcarona

kill infernape
I was thinking how hard Giga Drain/Grass Knot would wreck these pokemon's checks (like Swampert) but I guess this here bird is gonna SHOOT UP in usage. Probably Salamence too.
Which brings to my mind another question, I'd appreciate if an admin could reply.
Is this an OK time to test some BL pokemon back to UU, like Staraptor?

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
MEga Alakazam will be extremely devastating to frailer offense, really nothing in UU comes close to matching its strength and speed at once.

-I thought Medichamite, Manectite and Gardevoirite (the megastones) were already OU. Is base Manectric, Gardevoir and Medicham Better than Lucario and Infernape?
-Mega Alakazam shouldn't see more usage than the base form, since his best set is Focus Sash. (Isn't it anymore?)
EDIT

I was thinking how hard Giga Drain/Grass Knot would wreck these pokemon's checks (like Swampert) but I guess this here bird is gonna SHOOT UP in usage. Probably Salamence too.
Which brings to my mind another question, I'd appreciate if an admin could reply.
Is this an OK time to test some BL pokemon back to UU, like Staraptor?
The stones were BL, because they were banned from UU. Now they are OU because of usage. The base forms are also OU because the tiering system doesn't separare the usage of base forms and mega forms.

Except Manectric, he was UU.

About Alakazam, I don't know, apparently the mega form is better. Smogon people keep changing their minds.

Manaphy, Alakzam, Blissey and Volcarona should NOT be UU!!! What is everyone thinking?! Are you out of your minds or something?!
Manaphy is almost deadweight against offense, considering average speed, starting power and lack of setup opportunities(non to mention sun is quite common because of Charizard) while balance and stall tend to carry Pokémon that can deal well with it such as Unaware Clefable, Chansey or Mega Venusaur.

Blissey is a completely inferior version of Chansey, and no, Knock Off is not an argument in her favor, considering the only Knock Off user which Blissey has a chance to stand against are Landorus-I, Venusaur and Shuckle, and only the first commonly carries the move.

Half of the OU tier is a Volcarona check/counter, seriously.

Alakazam is the only one of the drops that somewhat belongs in OU tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)