Smogon VGC 2012 - Usage stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
17. Gastrodon - 8.73% - 31

why isn't this in the top 10.

METAGROSS IS METAGAME.
On the topic of Gastrodon, he's really not strong enough defensively to tank very many hits despite being slow while he also doesn't have a high offensive stat. His only real perk is Storm Drain, but even that is counteracted by the fact that many of the teams using water attacks for damage will also have Ludicolo or a grass type to be out on the field when they do that to help against bulky waters and tank Surf. Even in Rotom-W's case, if you're not running HP Grass on Gastrodon you don't really have a serious way of hurting him, so he isn't a very strong counter.

Although, he is nice for what survivability he has and his straight up blocking of water abilities, I think his base stats just really aren't good enough for him to be one of the most effective 'mons in the game-especially in such a competitive tournament. But hey, I'm probably wrong. It's just I don't like it when my Gastrodon is 2hko'd by Metagross' Zen Headbutt because I built it to be able to tank a Latios Draco Meteor.

On the topic of Gastrodon, he's really not strong enough defensively to tank very many hits despite being slow while he also doesn't have a high offensive stat.
I don't like it when my Gastrodon is 2hko'd by Metagross' Zen Headbutt because I built it to be able to tank a Latios Draco Meteor.
Yeah, whenever I use Gastrodon, it is usually either a complete burden, or helps my team alot. It really only finds use if all they have to hit it is a Latios or I am playing a Rain team. It has a lot of HP, but unless you max out a defensive stat, it isn't surviving more than 3 hits. Also, it doesn't do much damage without a Storm Drain boost. Plus, the pokemon you wall you can only 2HKO them with high damage rolls.

On the topic of Gastrodon, he's really not strong enough defensively to tank very many hits despite being slow while he also doesn't have a high offensive stat. His only real perk is Storm Drain, but even that is counteracted by the fact that many of the teams using water attacks for damage will also have Ludicolo or a grass type to be out on the field when they do that to help against bulky waters and tank Surf. Even in Rotom-W's case, if you're not running HP Grass on Gastrodon you don't really have a serious way of hurting him, so he isn't a very strong counter.

Although, he is nice for what survivability he has and his straight up blocking of water abilities, I think his base stats just really aren't good enough for him to be one of the most effective 'mons in the game-especially in such a competitive tournament. But hey, I'm probably wrong. It's just I don't like it when my Gastrodon is 2hko'd by Metagross' Zen Headbutt because I built it to be able to tank a Latios Draco Meteor.
Yeah, Gastrodon also has problems with pokes that can outspeed it and double attack with STAB moves if it doesn't have an EV investment that can tank it. But if Gastrodon is played well with Stockpile at the right timing of the game, it can be a huge problem for many teams since it has good coverage against all other types.

But anyways, I really think Gastrodon should have been up there in the top 10 because every team I play has the slug.

127. Combee - 0.28% - 1
128. Tangrowth - 0.28% - 1
129. Larvesta - 0.28% - 1
What is this, I don't even....

Does anyone notice that in numbers 12 through 27, most of the Mons used are common sights on Rain teams?

12. Politoed - 14.08% - 50
13. Thundurus - 12.39% - 44
14. Scizor - 12.11% - 43
15. Ludicolo - 11.27% - 40
17. Gastrodon - 8.73% - 31
18. Dragonite - 8.45% - 30
23. Kingdra - 6.76% - 24
24. Ferrothorn - 5.92% - 21
26. Toxicroak - 5.07% - 18
27. Tornadus - 4.79% - 17

I noticed the same about the Rain. I think it is an indication that actually Rain based teams were about 10% percent of those in the tournament.

103. Raikou - 0.56% - 2
^That was probably my doing.
EDIT: Oh wait, these were for an actual tourney. Nvm.

65. Rhydon - 1.13% - 4
^Wait, what?

I'm surprised to see Bisharp being used as much as it is. Defiant is a great way to counter Intimidate, but with the many things that use Heat Wave, Flamethrower, and Close Combat, you'd think that it would see less usage...

Phew, I'm just glad to know that only two Mons on my current team are in the top ten.

Is Metagross and Rotom-W really that surprising given this? I mean, that's what motivated me to use it. I looked up VGC 2012 recommendations and this is one of the few things out there.

Keldeo must not be availabe yet, huh?

I would suspect that we would have seen Keldeo if he was. Any educated opinions about this?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Keldeo must not be availabe yet, huh?

I would suspect that we would have seen Keldeo if he was. Any educated opinions about this?
Keldeo is an event Pokemon, and is banned from the VGC 12 format, so you wouldn't be seeing it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)