Smogon VGC Live Tournaments - On hold (See post #180, page 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread is the hub for information on the biweekly Smogon VGC live tournaments! These tournaments are held every other Saturday at 4PM EDT (GMT-4), on Pokemon Showdown! In addition, all participants get a free Pokemon, usually a legendary, for free to use on cartridge for live VGC events. These tournaments are Swiss tournaments, where Swiss is best of 3 and top cut is best of 3.

View the bracket and sign up for the tournament here, which begins at 4 PM EDT (GMT-4) on Saturday.
You will need to check in before the tournament begins, and the check-in will be available from one hour before the tournament starts until it starts. Also, about the in game name, it comes as a default on Battlefy when you make ORAS tournaments, just fill in your Pokemon Showdown name there instead.

Rules:

• The tournament will be hosted in the room Tohjo Falls, and you must be there in order to participate
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Please keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither. If time is called and you are using such a strategy, you will likely take the loss.
  • Each round will last a maximum of 20 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will most likely allowed to be completed, but if there are conditions that make finishing the game not an option, the host decides who gets the win.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds but not during a best of three series. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.

Dialga
Nature: Modest - Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 0 - IVs: 31/25/31/31/31/0
Moveset:

This Dialga was given to me by kamikaze17 , who recieved it from ΩDonut. This is one of very few Telepathy Dialga's that pass the hack checks at Regionals, and as an added bonus it also has HP Ice. This week you will recieve it through manual trades due to its Wish Ribbon.

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free Pokemon. Stop by Tohjo Falls this weekend to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

HOW TO RECEIVE YOUR POKEMON (SCIZOR IS USED AS AN EXAMPLE): WE ARE DOING MANUAL TRADES FOR DIALGA

• Note: Scizor will be distributed a while after the tournaments start, around round 2 or 3.
  • Step 1: Catch a Cacnea
  • Step 2: Offer the Cacnea for a Scizor on the GTS. If you haven't registered Scizor in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: Refresh the GTS to receive your Scizor. Enjoy!

Leaderboards

First off, yes, this is actually happening now. We will have leaderboards to see who performs well over the season, and the ones high up will get rewards, which I won't say the details of, but it might possibly include small irl gifts.

The point system is the following: 3 points to the winner, 2 points to second place, and 1 point for third place, which is whoever of the two semifinal losers that played the winner.

Last edited:
So we have to enter the tournament to get the Salamence? Because I really want it, and I live in Japan, so I don't think I can get to a tournament.

What exactly do you mean by "check in one hour in advance"? Just be on irc and signed up on battlefy by then? I'd like to participate in the tournament tonight, but I won't be home from work until 17:15 (EDT), 45 minutes before the competition starts.

Thanks in advance~

EDIT: Should I just play in tomorrow's tour instead?

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by "check in one hour in advance"? Just be on irc and signed up on battlefy by then? I'd like to participate in the tournament tonight, but I won't be home from work until 17:15 (EDT), 45 minutes before the competition starts.

Thanks in advance~
Basically, be on battlefy 1 hour before tour starts and click a check in button

it is also okay to get on like 45 minutes before it starts, the check-in button appears 1 hour before start and disappears when the tour starts.

Here it says the Friday tour starts 6pm EDT. On battlefy, it says it starts 5PM. Which is it?

(edit: never mind I'm an idiot who doesn't understand what daylight saving and timezones are)

Last edited:
Please remember to get on irc and the channel #smogonvgc, you have to be on irc in order to participate. we have a link in the top of the thread to the channel on the client mibbit, which requires no knowledge about irc to use.

double posting so people actually notice

Okay, so first of I want to apologise for there being misunderstandings in regards of timezones and such, blame both me and daylight savings for that. The OP has been updated with correct times so we hope this won't happen again.

Just a little disappointed with the integrity of some players, and the mods inability to control it... Great tour otherwise! Might do it again tomorrow

Lol I'm literally just joining for the mence. Also by ign on battlefy does it mean forums name?

EDIT: I got it, no need

Last edited:
lucariojr approved this

This thread is the hub for information on the biweekly #smogonvgc live tournament! This tournament series aims to create a cartridge practice environment as well as provide every participant with a free Pokemon to help them get what they need for their local VGC events. This post will update every other week on Wednesdays with info about that week's tournaments. These tournaments will be organized slightly differently than last seaon, as we will hold biweekly tournaments (every other week), and in one weekend we will host two tournaments; one at 5 pm EST (GMT-5) on Friday, and one at 2 pm EST (GMT-5), or 8 pm GMT+1, which is meant to make participating in these tournaments easier for our european players.

Steven Stone is going to host the Friday tournaments, and Ksh13 and / or Chenkovsky will be hosting the tournaments on Saturday.

View the bracket and sign up for Fridays tournament here.
View the bracket and sign up for Saturdays tournament here.
The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.
Fridays tournament begins at 5 pm EST (New York, US East Coast), Saturdays tournament begins at 2 pm EST.

You will need to check in one hour before the tournament begins to participate.

Additionally, we're aiming to record the finals and put them up on the official Smogon Youtube Channel! This should go without saying, but please, if you make it to the finals, save your Battle Videos and post them here or in the irc chat!

Rules:

• You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate.
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Please keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither. If time is called and you are using such a strategy, you will likely take the loss.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament and we have little control over this, you may change your team between rounds but not during a best of three series. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You can only participate in one of the tournaments that are held in one weekend

Salamence

Nature: Naive - Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe - IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Moveset: Hyper Voice, Protect, Draco Meteor, Double-Edge
This week, we'll be giving away a shiny battle ready Salamence donated by Ksh13 . Salamence's mega evolution has proven to be one of the biggest threats in VGC this year, and this mixed set is one of the more common ways to run it.

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free shiny Salamence. Stop by #smogonvgc this weekend to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

HOW TO RECEIVE SALAMENCE:
  • Note: Salamence will start being distributed when the tournaments start, any other times will be announced that day in the irc channel, so that's when you need to follow these instructions
  • Step 1: Catch a Cacnea
  • Step 2: Offer the Cacnea for a Salamence on the GTS. If you haven't registered Salamence in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: Refresh the GTS to receive your Salamence. Enjoy!
Leaderboards

This season we will be having leaderboards to see who performs well over the course of the season, and the users on the top will get a special reward at the end. The details regarding rewards and point system are still being worked on, but it will come asap.

Ok I deposited cacnea best of luck to everyone

Last edited:
Back! Okay so, my 3rd opponent didn't show up I guess, and I beat my 4th opponent. I ended with 2-2, and didn't make the top cut, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)