Smogon Wi-Fi Tournament #2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright everyone! It has been officially decided that we will be hosting a second Smogon Wi-Fi Tournament!

We also have new council members to help out with the tournament. This means we will have dedicated teams. Go to the bottom of this page to see all the new council people and see in what they specialize in.

Tournament Rules (Basics)
  • You must be able to commit yourself on the day of the tournament to play until you are eliminated or if the tournament has ended. This could last up towards six hours.
  • The tournament will be held on Sunday, July 22nd. The tournament itself will start at 11am (PDT)/2:00 (EDT). Check-in time begins at 10am (PDT)/1pm(EDT). Note: The date would've been a little bit longer, but due to Smocon and other events, it was shortened. So feel special.
  • If you do not check-in, then you will be disqualified from the tournament.
  • We will be using IRC to host the tournament again. This will avoid conflicts of many sorts.
  • This is not a registration topic. Registrations for the tournament will be held on July 21st from 12am EDT, to 11:59pm, EDT. This topic is for further discussion and bragging. Please don't go overboard.
  • This is a 64 player tournament, single elimination.
  • We are going to require that when you register, that you must give us your Friend Code for a resource. Your Friend Codes (DS and -if- PBR) must then match the one you gave us during the same day, or revise it before the tournament. This will prevent cheating from generating new Friend Codes.
  • Administrators and Council have the right to deny the registration of a participant. We can remove your registration from the topic, DQ you before the tournament begins, and more. There will be no questions asked. Remember, by joining the second (and further) tournaments, you are agreeing that you will follow the Administration and Council's decisions.
  • Subs can join the tournament channel and if players do not check-in, then players who checked in as subs based on time will get blank slots. Subs will be checked out by the Shark Team to make sure their team is legitimate.
Tournament Rules (Game)
Please read the game rules again as there are some changes.
  • 6vs6 Single Battle Format, and levels are to be set at 100.
  • Player are allowed to do their battles on either Pokémon Battle Revolution on the Nintendo Wii or use the Nintendo DS. Both players must agree to play on Pokémon Battle Revolution because it does reveal teams and does change the battle format to a Stadium Mode.
  • Players are allowed to switch Pokémon throughout each round. So, you could replace your Victreebel during R1 for a Vileplume in R2.
  • The following Pokemon are banned: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latios, Latias, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys (all forms), Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus (all types) and Wobbuffet. Yes, that means Celebi and Jirachi are allowed, but please refer to the rule below.
  • Please do not use hacked Pokemon. This includes Game Shark and Pro Action Reply. Though this is mute, we must trust people. We have a team that will check your Pokémon if suspicions arise. ANY FORM OF HACKING IS ILLEGAL AS LONG AS WE FIGURE IT OUT! THIS INCLUDES CATCHING POKÉMON IN PLACES WHERE THEY AREN'T FOUND, ILLEGAL MOVE SETS, STAT PUMPS, ILLEGAL EV DISTRIBUTION, AND ANYTHING ELSE!
  • Sleep Clause: If two Pokémon are put to sleep via a sleep move by a player, then that person automatically loses his/her's match.
  • Item Clause: Each team can only use one separate item on each Pokémon. A player who has two Pokémon holding the same item automatically loses his/her's match. (I.E.: Two Pokémon are holding Leftovers)
  • OHKO Ban: Moves that are specifically meant to OHKO (Sheer Cold, Guillotine, Fissure, Horn Drill) are not allowed as a move on your Pokémon. If one of the OHKO moves are used, then the player who used the OHKO move loses the match.
  • Evasion Ban: Moves that specifically increase evasion are not allowed to be used. A player who has a Pokémon with an evasion increasing move will automatically lose their match.
  • *Any disconnections will be judged on a case by case basis by a "Council". Please see below.
*The one problem that was overlooked by the Wi-Fi service offered for DP (At least, for the DS) is that the game doesn't register who disconnected. Certain games like Metroid Prime: Hunters have such features to detect intentional/unintentional disconnects. So, that's a shame D/P doesn't have this feature.

There will be an IRC channel created for only the tournament. You must use the IRC channel since it will be very easy to contact your opponent among other things. You don't know how to use IRC? Download the mIRC IRC Chat Client or another client. The program should provide enough help for you in order to join the channels. The IRC server and channel are as followed: Server - irc.dejatoons.net. Channel - #smogontournament. For normal chat, use channel #smogon. If you are still having problems using mIRC, then send a private message to one of the council members who specialize in IRC for help.

Also, please don't do anything dumb like sharing DSes. That bogs down the tournament and any delays such as this will result in swift disqualification from the tournament.

Thank you, and good luck. If you have any questions please feel free to ask here.

Administration List

Administrator: Skarm
Co-Administrator: Sonuis and Surgo
Council (May grow): Misty, Synre, chaos, omni, Groudon80, GreenPikachu, Roy, Aeolus, Shiv, tenchi17, DoomMullet, LordS, and Kumar.

Damage Control Team
Skarm, Sonuis, Surgo, Misty, Synre, chaos, omni, Groudon80, GreenPikachu, Roy, Aeolus, Shiv, tenchi17, DoomMullet, LordS, and Kumar.

Shark/PAR Check Team
- Members of the Shark Team that are participating in the tournament will not be allowed to check teams until they lose or get DQ'd.
Skarm, Surgo, omni, Misty, tenchi17, Aeolus, Synre, and LordS.

Disconnect/Time Limit Judges
Skarm, Sonuis, Surgo, omni, Misty, Roy, tenchi17, Aeolus, Synre, and LordS.

Results Team
Skarm, Sonuis, Surgo, Groudon80, Misty, tenchi17, Aeolus, Kumar, Synre, and Shiv.

Check-In
Sonuis, Misty, tenchi17, Aeolus, Kumar, Shiv, and DoomMullet.

mIRC help

Skarm, Sonuis, Surgo, GreenPikachu, Misty, tenchi17, Aeolus, Kumar, DoomMullet, and LordS.

P.S.: Administrators and Council members are welcome to join the tournament. However, if time limit/DC comes up, then other members will judge. We will avoid bias as much as we can.

I have definite interest in participating, and if necessary, will have no problem showing my team to the Check Team beforehand. Obviously, I was a little upset last time because of the same problems, and I still feel bummed that people thought I was cheating. I have every intention of proving to the Check Team that my team is completely legitimate before my first match.

Will request the day off work in about 55 minutes when I go in :P

Evidently if I don't compete I can't trust you suckers to get anything done at all so I'll have to enter this time in addition to actually being around to do my council duties this time I suppose!

I hope I can be in this one, but that's the day I have to register my irc, and I don't think my dad would be keen on me paying for a chat program, even if it is only $20. Thst's why I wasn't liking having irc the last tournament.

I hope I can be in this one, but that's the day I have to register my irc, and I don't think my dad would be keen on me paying for a chat program, even if it is only $20. Thst's why I wasn't liking having irc the last tournament.

...lol...

Given that most of us have been using IRC for free for anywhere from 3 to 7 years at this point I'm pretty sure I wouldn't worry too much about registering it :P

I'm definitely getting in on this one. I think I did decently well the last time, and hope to better my record the 2nd time.

I will also be having the same issue with Snak (IRC for Macs) as Heraweak, but if Synre says that it shouldn't be a problem to stay on for more than 15 minutes after the 30 day trial period is over, then I guess it's good.

Happy to see Wobbs on the Uber list and Evasion Clause back up again, though most people didn't abuse Evasion the first time.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just curious, would using acupressure and getting the +2 evasion by chance be violating the evasion clause?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't worry guys, IRC just keeps giving you a message telling you to register, you can still use it.

Questions:
When you mean no AR/Sharking, does that include Pokemon that were obviously hacked but not above what's possible in-game (so they show signs of hacking and were obviously not bred/caught normally but aren't doing massive damage) or just Pokemon like raidos' last time? Not for me, it's when I play people who have obviously hacked Pokemon (the spaces after the name, cherish balls, etc).

In PBR, I think that it shows both teams to each other before the match. Will DS players have to PM their teams to each other or something to keep them on the same level?

Are there no drawbacks to using PBR over a DS? As in, is it hard to get PBR to battle with a DS? Hadn't planned on getting PBR, but if they can battle each other I just might.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can't do a Wii vs DS battle I don't think. You can use your DS team in PBR against someone else using their DS team in PBR though.

If I may ask politely, what is the rationale behind the evasion clause? As I recall we were going to test it. Did you conclude from the one person who used evasion in one battle (that I know of) and lost the tourney that the metagame is ruined if evasion is allowed?

Secondly, are we also banning all evasion-increasing things? i.e., sandstorm will be banned, because it can increase evasion/decrease accuracy, bright powder will be banned, because it can increase evasion/decrease accuracy? Also, the move mentioned above.

Firestorm

As it says, only moves that increase evasion aren't allowed. So that means Double Team and Minimize. Don't know of any other moves that do the same, but I don't know all the new moves off by heart.

So accuracy-decreasing moves and evasion-increasing abilities and/or items are ok? I'm still interested in knowing the motivation, though of course I want to participate and will abide by whatever rules. *sheds a tear for the minimize blissey that never was*

Don't worry guys, IRC just keeps giving you a message telling you to register, you can still use it.

Questions:
When you mean no AR/Sharking, does that include Pokemon that were obviously hacked but not above what's possible in-game (so they show signs of hacking and were obviously not bred/caught normally but aren't doing massive damage) or just Pokemon like raidos' last time? Not for me, it's when I play people who have obviously hacked Pokemon (the spaces after the name, cherish balls, etc).

In PBR, I think that it shows both teams to each other before the match. Will DS players have to PM their teams to each other or something to keep them on the same level?
Thank god, I'll be able to compete then unless something comes up.

So accuracy-decreasing moves and evasion-increasing abilities and/or items are ok? I'm still interested in knowing the motivation, though of course I want to participate and will abide by whatever rules. *sheds a tear for the minimize blissey that never was*
Me and my mates used to ban it when we were playing RBY back in middle school. The game then just became annoying, the whole thing was based on who got lucky all the time. Keeping it out helps to make sure that the best players win, not those who got lucky I guess.

Firestorm

Sonuis put emphasis on certain words for a reason I assume. Sand Attack and other attacks which lower the opponent's accuracy is allowed.

Damn, I get back from boston on the day of the tournament. I don't think I'll be able to make it to the tournament unless we have a really early flight that day, so not in.

Well wouldn't it be redundant to use Sand Attack anyway? Doesn't do damage or set up for you.

I think I can make it this time, still have to EV train though =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)