Smogon Wi-Fi Tournament #2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Q&A

Okay, sorry for the late post for most questions.

Bologo said:
Just curious, would using acupressure and getting the +2 evasion by chance be violating the evasion clause?
No. I'll clarify that it is for moves that distinctly raise evasion. This means Double Team and such. Otherwise, evasion boost via traits, chance effects, or items are legal.

Firestorm said:
When you mean no AR/Sharking, does that include Pokemon that were obviously hacked but not above what's possible in-game (so they show signs of hacking and were obviously not bred/caught normally but aren't doing massive damage) or just Pokemon like raidos' last time? Not for me, it's when I play people who have obviously hacked Pokemon (the spaces after the name, cherish balls, etc).
It's a regardless basically. We will check for names, stats, traits, EV tally, etc. It's really hard to detect PokéSav though, so we can't necessarily be sure if a person used PokéSav or not.

Firestorm said:
In PBR, I think that it shows both teams to each other before the match. Will DS players have to PM their teams to each other or something to keep them on the same level?
Both players will have to agree to play their match via Pokémon Battle Revolution. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking by the second part, but players will discover the teams once the battle starts. Remember though, the Damage Control team is there to prevent people from revealing your team in the chat room, or if we discover a PM sharing case.

Dane said:
Are there no drawbacks to using PBR over a DS? As in, is it hard to get PBR to battle with a DS? Hadn't planned on getting PBR, but if they can battle each other I just might.
DS to Wii connectivity will be no trouble at all. Most likely, the team will be transferred temporarily to your Wii to avoid the hassle between DS -> Wii -> Wi-Fi -> Wii -> DS. PBR will most likely have a detection code again like in Colloseum that detects illegal Pokémon. Like Firestorm said, you cannot do a Wii vs. DS Wi-Fi match.

Blizzard said:
So accuracy-decreasing moves and evasion-increasing abilities and/or items are ok? I'm still interested in knowing the motivation, though of course I want to participate and will abide by whatever rules. *sheds a tear for the minimize blissey that never was*
Yes. Accuracy-decreasing moves are easier to handle since a Pokémon can have their accuracy restored by switching out. Items only provide +1, moves have a chance, and traits are situational.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to those who fielded the questions while I was temporarily away.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Those are OHKO and Evasion bans, not clauses!

I used Sand-Attack on my joke BP team in GSC. As for Evasion, there weren't really enough people that used it successfully last time but smart people like myself already know it's broken when used effectively. ;/

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Both players will have to agree to play their match via Pokémon Battle Revolution. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking by the second part, but players will discover the teams once the battle starts. Remember though, the Damage Control team is there to prevent people from revealing your team in the chat room, or if we discover a PM sharing case.
What I meant is that in Pokemon Battle Revolution, before the battle begins, I'm pretty sure the game displays both teams before the battle. Like how they did in the Stadium games. I was wondering if DS Battlers would have to tell each other their teams before the battle as well to stay consistent with those using the Wii.

I'm definitely in.
Got eliminated in the first round in #1, partly because of my own mistakes.
Before #2 I'm atleast gonna make sure I have time to get all the EVs to my pokemon. >_>

If I have time to participate, this time, I will definitely make sure that I have my team ready BEFORE the tournament. =)

I think this one will be just as interesting as the last one.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What I meant is that in Pokemon Battle Revolution, before the battle begins, I'm pretty sure the game displays both teams before the battle. Like how they did in the Stadium games. I was wondering if DS Battlers would have to tell each other their teams before the battle as well to stay consistent with those using the Wii.
No.

well there goes my masterful Wobbuffet plan, oh well... this should be pretty legit -- although we can all but guarantee victory from yours truly

This, except it may well go on to about 2-3am lol.
If it ends up going that late(PDT), depending on my schedue, I'd have to drop out assuming thats even allowed. I'm having an Algorithim Analysis final that week (barf summer classes) and I'd prefer some sleep prior to taking it.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If it ends up going that late(PDT), depending on my schedue, I'd have to drop out assuming thats even allowed. I'm having an Algorithim Analysis final that week (barf summer classes) and I'd prefer some sleep prior to taking it.
The last tournament ended around 6:00 PM Pacific iirc. This was with one match every round taking the maximum allotted time and the tournament starting half an hour late. You'll be fine.

Heh, maybe I can make it this time; I got back late from my trip last time, so I couldn't register for the first one. Also one little thing that's bugging me : Sunday, July 22th in the first post should be Sunday, July 22nd.

# # Please do not use hacked Pokemon. This includes Game Shark and Pro Action Reply. Though this is mute, we must trust people. We have a team that will check your Pokémon if suspicious arises.
So this is basically a blanket ban even if the stats are untampered with? Because some people only use AR just to catch the Pokemon from previous generations.

If I may ask politely, what is the rationale behind the evasion clause? As I recall we were going to test it. Did you conclude from the one person who used evasion in one battle (that I know of) and lost the tourney that the metagame is ruined if evasion is allowed?
I was just wondering the same thing. I know wobbuffet proved to be broken/bad for the metagame, but I didn't see double team/minimize as a huge metagame breaker in any of the matches in the tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)