• Ice/Bug

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • No dual typing, mono-Steel for the win

Votes: 16 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roserade is not a common OU pokemon, Garchomp would rather use Earthquake, and what Blissey are you using?
Roserade is in the top 50 of both weighted and unweighted usage on Shoddy. That puts it higher than Rhyperior and a few other big names. Top 50 seems overused enough to get a mention.

Every set for Garchomp in our Smogon analysis has a fire move listed.

And ObiBliss uses flamethrower. So not every Bliss uses it, but Obi's Blissey is common enough and if you read what I said, I distinctively put "Things that commonly use Fire attacks in OU".

My main problem with a Bug/Ice is the weakness to SR, but here's why: it needs to switch in. The reason Yanmega is so good is because it's an effective lead, capable of outspeeding everything right out of the gate after a Speed boost. Unless a new Bug/Ice is an effective lead, it's going to have to switch in at some point, and will take massive damage. A Wishpasser can only prolong the inevitable, and the new pokemon would needs to be able to counter common SRers (Bug and Ice aren't too effective against Skarm and Forry).
Ive seen plenty of Yanmegas that aren't leads. With a spinner it is still very viable. In fact on Shoddy, only half the Yanmegas were used as leads. Good point though. I'm not trying to say Ice/Bug has no problems from SR but I AM trying to say its still very viable. And as you said, we are trying to make the world's most broken poke here ;D balanced = good

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with my name, Gryllo, (Grill-O) It sounds pretty cool and its relevent to the creature we're making.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what about posting a compatition in Smeargle's Studio (after this poll is finished so they know what types the poemon should be) to sprite a bug/ice (mabe ice/steel) pokemon and picking the best 10 sprites yourself (i mean you coper) then haveing a poll to decide whitch one to use. then we can use the sprite as a guide to the pokemons moves, stats, ability, and everything else. otherwise i can see a situation where the moves, stats, and ability do not fit with the sprite or eachother.

the sprite poll should be next (or mabe the spriteing compatition could be done while the stat poll is done?) so that everything fits together.

i think like this because i thought "how would nintendo make a pokemon?" it would probably go in this oder
* means we dont necerceraly have to do this bit
1. what type is this pokemon?
2. make a prelimnary sprite.
3. make the evolution line (includeing how it evolves*).
4. make movepools)(includeing egg moves, TM/HM moves)/stats/ability.
5. final ajustments (egg group, number of steps to hach*, colour group*, pokedex number, gender ratio, wild hold item, EXP at Lv 100, base happinness*, effort points given from beating it*, hight*, weight*, classification*, loads of stuff I havent thought of yet)
6. final sprite, artwork, where in the games it can be found*, any last changes.

I know this is a little early in the deliberation process, but what about a Breloom style ability for dealing w/ SR? Like, gets healed a set amount by damage incurred upon switching in, instead of getting damage from it. That way you're not copying clefable, and it would have merit in its' own right

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know this is a little early in the deliberation process, but what about a Breloom style ability for dealing w/ SR? Like, gets healed a set amount by damage incurred upon switching in, instead of getting damage from it. That way you're not copying clefable, and it would have merit in its' own right
this is a very interesting idea do you mean something like "this pokemon heals by 25% when it swiches in" but the probalm is i cant see a bug/ice haveing a abliity like that. also i think that this pokemon should not be made to have no weaknesses rather it should be made as a pokemon that can be good on the right team with rapid spin suport.

Not sure about how I'll do the base stats yet. I'll probably have a poll be like

1) 550-600
2) 500-550
3) 450-500

And the lower we go, the better the attacks can be. Or something along those lines.
why not have more poll options more like
1) 600 + (mabe not)
2) 580-600
3) 550-580
4) 520-550
5) 500-520
6) 480-500
7) 450-480

otherwise you are includeing 80% of OU pokemon in one catagry. also i think that unless its a legindry (i dont think is a good idea) it should not have more than 550 base total.

I know this isnt about base stats yet, but I really wanted to say something. Arcanine has the same BST as the stats Jibaku provided, and the next highest is 540 I believe. I think we should keep this below 540, or else it would be broken, especially with a Magic Guard like ability. Also, as mentioned earlier, keep its offensive stats biased to one side, with like a 40 or so point difference. That way it would be easier to wall, and would avoid being completely broken.

Now about the poll, I voted Ice/Bug, cause some bugs can allow themselves to freeze over winter and thaw in the spring, still alive. I think thats a pretty cool thing to do.

why not have more poll options more like
1) 600 + (mabe not)
2) 580-600
3) 550-580
4) 520-550
5) 500-520
6) 480-500
7) 450-480
That sounds pretty good. 600+ seems a bit high, since I was originally intending for the new pokemon to be OU (it'd have to have a really crappy movepool and ability to be over 600 in OU), but I like having seven options instead of four.

No, it's just something that came up in discussion of how the program will fare in the future. Just like how we're not discussing names and such.

So the next poll is going to be the base stat range?

Just off the top of my head, here are some things we need to determine.
Number of Evolutions
Sprite/Backsprite
Stat range (total)
Stat placement (sp sweeper/wall/whatever)
Ability
Movepool (very hard to make into a good poll imo)

Also, where will these pokemon be implemented? A modded shoddy server? I think after every 2-3 pokemon are made, we should have a tournament using them. that would be cool.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm one of the few voting for mono-typing. As cool as i think steel/ice and bug/ice would be sprite-wise, they both fail pretty badly at...uh...everything. even as sweepers they will take huge damage from faster pokes, and their typings are too bad for them to set up reliably. Besides, we're lacking in mono-steels not named mawile, and hail teams could use a nice boost. --TAY

You shouldn't start on stats until you have a concept of what the Pokemon will look like... it'll suck if you had decided that you wanted tank stats but your coolest idea is for some slim looking insect that wouldn't look right as a tank, and vice-versa. Yes, I realize that you aren't setting anything in stone and that it is just talk about what might work if you choose the initial site of choosing the typing, but the way you have set this up the next thing you should be even just talking about is the concept... there are many good stat distributions, but there aren't many good concepts.

As for good concepts... Ice Bug could be a Weta, I remember something on animal planet about them literally freezing themselves in winter like ihcati said. Wetas look pretty beastly, something you could imagine with good defensive stats and high physical attack. (A quick wikipedia search shows me that it is not all wetas but a specific kind of weta that freezes itself...) Steel bugs could really be most bugs but steel bug has been done, and that is no fun at all. Steel Ice I guess could be a refrigerator lol... which I imagine would have some seriously tanky stats... and end up looking really goofy. Ice Steel could also be a good candidate for something based off of nothing in real life, like Metagross isn't, and so would have plenty of stat possibilities... </br>

I voted Ice Bug because it's just easier to see it working as a pokemon for me.

This does so very much remind of khold's old project in which the main thing I did was work on Pokemon concepts including stats and movepools and other such things. I don't know whats become of the place now.. it seems some people still post there, but I don't think any progress has been made at all since I left. I'd link but he doesn't or at least didn't want the link publicly known for whatever reason... Maybe I'm big headed, but I always thought I was at least pretty good at it. Errrrr.... it

Edit3: Edits one and two disappeared for some weird reason...

how is a bug/ice supposed to work again? Bugs die out in the wintertime, how's one supposed to use it as a dual-type? >_>

^ Not excately but close enough XD also a Weta would the Bug/Ice tank XD
um...4x weak to rock/fire doesn't make it a good tank...

Oh, and no disrespect to you, Cooper, but 2/4 of those typings are terrible. 2 of them have at least 1 4x weakness, and the Steel/Bug has been done a couple of times. Although Bug/Ice Ice/Steel are creative typings, they'd probably be UU due to their horrendous typing unless they had godly base stats.

um...4x weak to rock/fire doesn't make it a good tank...

Oh, and no disrespect to you, Cooper, but 2/4 of those typings are terrible. 2 of them have at least 1 4x weakness, and the Steel/Bug has been done a couple of times. Although Bug/Ice Ice/Steel are creative typings, they'd probably be UU due to their horrendous typing unless they had godly base stats.
Coooper didnt pick them. They came from the last poll he took. Blame smogon not cooper. Tard

How about with this poke we give Pinsir some Evo' love?

Maybe it evolves like Glaceon does?
people have mentioned SR a million times, give it an ability that it is immune to all attacks when it switches in?

How about with this poke we give Pinsir some Evo' love?

Maybe it evolves like Glaceon does?
people have mentioned SR a million times, give it an ability that it is immune to all attacks when it switches in?
With that ability, it would have to have some pretty crappy base stats. Maybe something along the lines of paper thin defences with high speed and above average offence?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
That's why I say the Ice/Bug guy should be some crazy Arctic moth. I know there's actually an Arctic moth (I didn't know that back the day when I "created" Himath), called Gynaephora. I didn't found any good sources, however.

EDIT: God, I only understood why you want to give this poké Magic Guard so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)