1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 1 Smogon's 1st "Create a Pokemon"

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Cooper, Nov 27, 2007.

?

Would You Actively Participate in the Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Program?

1. Yes, I will vote whenever I can

156 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. No, this idea is stupid/premature, as are you

25 vote(s)
    13.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syberia

Syberia [custom user title]
    is a Pre-Contributor

Seems like we could have us the very first Fighting/Flying pokemon right there.

EDIT: Sunflora needs an evolution. Fire/Grass ftw.
  2. 1337

I voted yes as long as this gets to be more organized. It seems like everyone is spamming up a storm right now. I don't even know how I should approach this post considering the examples left for me. If you tell us what we should do to help then maybe we can actually start being preductive.

EDIT: What this needs is a Pinsir evolution. Fuck off Heracross.
  3. Tytus

Tytus

Well, he's not starting yet, he's just trying to get an idea of how interested the community is in doing it. There's not much we can do to be productive right now, aside from suggesting an organization for the project.
  4. Orwell

Orwell

I really like the idea of inventing a new Pokemon, especially with the checks and balances Cooper is considering. I think everyone who has played the game, not just hardcore Pokemon fans, has imaged doing this at least once. With that said, if there's any chance at all of getting Nintendo to adopt a character model, we would have to be conservative, as well as organized about it. Radical new type combinations, impractical evolutions, and unbalanced stats like 75/90/105/0/115/30 (0?) could only work against an "adoption" case in the long run.
  5. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

That would be pretty awesome. When you think about it from a completely competitive standpoint, a pokemon is just a sprite with a list of available moves, stats, typing, and an ability. It doesn't require anywhere near professional-level programming knowledge to just design a pokemon, and we've already got a program that could probably be used to test out new pokemon without much trouble.

Of course, lots of disputes would probably arise on a ton of different matters, but those would just have to be dealt with as they come along.

So, in other words, I think it's a good idea.
  6. Cooper

Cooper
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

This whole thing is supposed to be an open forum for discussion on how to create the best pokemon, just with actual options so people will have a way to voice their opinions without either getting drowned by a flood of stupidity or having their stupidness drown other people's opinions.
  7. Hyra

Hyra

I still think a major decision that needs to be made before we go to the polls is if we want to do a totally new Pokemon or evolve and old one. We have a lot more freedom with the former, but the latter is faster.
  8. Kamikaze Korean

Kamikaze Korean

Would we be allowed to post a Pokemon we came up with ourselves? Or is this exclusively going to be for Pokemon built one section at a time by the community?
  9. Cooper

Cooper

That would eventually become a poll. After deciding whether the new pokemon evolves or not, it will be decided what it does or doesn't evolve from/into. Don't worry, I've got it covered.

Kamikaze: Don't post your own pokemon please. I expect some jackass who can't read the rules will post some retarted base 800, but hopefully everyone will ignore him/her. That's not the point of this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)