CAP 1 Smogon's 1st "Create a Pokemon"

Would You Actively Participate in the Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Program?

• Yes, I will vote whenever I can

Votes: 156 86.2%
  • No, this idea is stupid/premature, as are you

Votes: 25 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I've been giving this idea a lot of thought lately. A lot of the sites that I've frequented in my life have had variants of this (gameFAQs character battle, Magic's months long card creating), but what they have in common is that regular posters decide on what is created. After realizing that, I figured "Why can't smogon have one of these as well?"

Perhaps the reason is that no one has ever done it in a concise and organized matter. There have been several failed attempts in the past, and those usually involved noobs posting how they wanted legal WonderTombs, and doing this when the metagame was still being decided. But now that individual pokemon discussions are winding down and Ubers, OU, and BL have pretty much been decided (as far as I know), i figure it's the perfect time to bust this out. How it will work is this:
  • Every 3-7 days (to be decided after popularity of the program is determined), you will vote on a particular aspect of a pokemon (type, ability, etc.)
  • Those votes will be recorded at the end of the voting period and will be incorporated into future relevant polls
  • When everything has been decided, the resulting pokemon will be poasted. I'm not sure if there's a way to send the product to GameFreak, but if there is, I'm all for doing it
These are tentative rules, of course. If anyone wants to offer their assistance to me, as I'm sure this will be somewhat taxing, I'm all for it. However, I don't intend to start this program immediately, as I need to compile any information required in birthing a brand new pokemon. So what I'm asking today is, if such as program is allowed to happen, would you actively partcipate? Active partcipation by smogoners is the only way this is going to happen.

If it's too early for something like this to happen, I apologize and invite mods to lock this thread down. But if you do allow it, I'll also need your help in deleting expired polls. Thank you for your consideration.

Yeah, definitely. To be honest, I have always had a little part of me that would love to see a fantasy league consisting of nothing but Pokemon the community has created. Of course, this would require a certain level of balance, but I think Smogon could pull it off.

I may be getting off-topic here, but imagine this: an entire generation, one could say, of Smokemon -- wow, that was incredibly lame, but you know what I mean -- created by the community and balanced with stats, types, sprites, move-sets, and the like. We could stray away from new moves, if we wanted, or could add a few if we wished to give a signature move or two to some "legendaries" (special-oriented Dragon Dance, anyone?). Same with abilities. We could even finally give a Pokemon in the overused meta-game the ability Drought or Drizzle, if we so desired.

The point is that with around one hundred created Pokemon, we could have our own fantasy league with them, and then, in the ultimate test, with them infused into the actual fortified meta-game. I am certainly aware that this would take a few months, not just in planning and execution of the Pokemon, but in the programming of these Pokemon to function in a Shoddy Battle-environment.

I really do think it could be done, though. Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I think if a moderator here really decided to do this right, we could get it going. Sprites would really be the only "hard" thing to pull off, but with the amount of sprite editing I have seen on this site I wouldn't be surprised if some people were up to the task.

As for the topic's original point, yes, I do think that a community-driven creation of a single Pokemon would be a great idea, and I am all for it.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I really wouldn't want to participate in this, because it would be rampant with useless subjectivity over something that won't make an impact in the grand scheme of things. Besides, it could perfectly well lead to some ridiculous debates over the most insignificant things.

I'd vote as often as I could. Are we also considering evolving existing Pokemon, such as Eevee? (I'd really like to see a Ghost- or Steel-type, myself.)

I really wouldn't want to participate in this, because it would be rampant with useless subjectivity over something that won't make an impact in the grand scheme of things. Besides, it could perfectly well lead to some ridiculous debates over the most insignificant things.
The point is that it would not have to be insignificant, and it would simply be "fun." Which is the whole point of Pokemon, in the end, anyway.

Wait....Draco Meteor's name came from a fan, what the hell?!? I alway thought GameFreak couldn't take ideas from fandom...or was that something else.

Has any pokemon design made by a fan been ever used by GameFreak but modified?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Wait....Draco Meteor's name came from a fan, what the hell?!? I alway thought GameFreak couldn't take ideas from fandom...or was that something else.
As far as I know, the move and the Japanese name were invented by a (Japanese, I think) fan. It was GF's fault the move was actually introduced, though ;[ Didn't anyone come with a special Dragon Dance or something?

Or maybe they went mostly for creativity...

I'd participate in this kind of thing because I'd like to see new creative type combos and new evolutions of pokemon such as Sableye. Great Idea:)

As far as I know, the move and the Japanese name were invented by a (Japanese, I think) fan. It was GF's fault the move was actually introduced, though ;[ Didn't anyone come with a special Dragon Dance or something?

Or maybe they went mostly for creativity...
All it really did was change Overheat's type to Dragon. I wouldn't consider that creative, personally.

I voted yes. This could be fun, and I think we'll probably end up with a pretty good Pokemon in the end =]

The thing I'm wondering is how would we decide its movepool? Of course, we'd only really need to include useable moves (but a whole movepool if we ever desired to show GF), but that'd still be quite difficult, IMO. We could end up with ridiculous things like a Steel-Poison Type using Draco Meteor >_>

I guess we'll just have to trust each other =]

Has any pokemon design made by a fan been ever used by GameFreak but modified?
I'm not 100% certain about this, but I'm pretty sure I heard some time ago that Luvdisc was designed by a fan. Don't quote me on that though. I'm sure there are many other members here who're more knowledgeable about that.

On topic though, this sounds pretty fun. Not sure if it would go over well in a tournament situation, but it just sounds like something cool to do just for kicks. It might be the only time I'll ever get to see a Fire/Dragon combination in some form or another (since it's such an obvious type combination, I'm sure if Gamefreak wanted to make one, they'd have already done so by now).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
All it really did was change Overheat's type to Dragon. I wouldn't consider that creative, personally.
...Oh yeah. Well, maybe the name's criativity?

But a special Dragon Dance would be way better, anyway.

Oh, and why don't you start with the most obvious fan-made pokémon... FARFETCH'D EVO!

I vote yes as well. Simply imagine all the wondorous [stalling] pokemon we could create, that would really kick [offensive play's] ass! I am quite interested in this sort of project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)