CAP 1 Smogon's 1st "Create a Pokemon"

Would You Actively Participate in the Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Program?

• Yes, I will vote whenever I can

Votes: 156 86.2%
  • No, this idea is stupid/premature, as are you

Votes: 25 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted yes as long as this gets to be more organized. It seems like everyone is spamming up a storm right now. I don't even know how I should approach this post considering the examples left for me. If you tell us what we should do to help then maybe we can actually start being preductive.

EDIT: What this needs is a Pinsir evolution. Fuck off Heracross.

I voted yes as long as this gets to be more organized. It seems like everyone is spamming up a storm right now. I don't even know how I should approach this post considering the examples left for me. If you tell us what we should do to help then maybe we can actually start being preductive.

EDIT: What this needs is a Pinsir evolution. Fuck off Heracross.
Well, he's not starting yet, he's just trying to get an idea of how interested the community is in doing it. There's not much we can do to be productive right now, aside from suggesting an organization for the project.

i lol'd at 0 sp. atk. needs at least 1 point in spAtk
what about

75/90/105/3/115/30

I really like the idea of inventing a new Pokemon, especially with the checks and balances Cooper is considering. I think everyone who has played the game, not just hardcore Pokemon fans, has imaged doing this at least once. With that said, if there's any chance at all of getting Nintendo to adopt a character model, we would have to be conservative, as well as organized about it. Radical new type combinations, impractical evolutions, and unbalanced stats like 75/90/105/0/115/30 (0?) could only work against an "adoption" case in the long run.

I may be getting off-topic here, but imagine this: an entire generation, one could say, of Smokemon -- wow, that was incredibly lame, but you know what I mean -- created by the community and balanced with stats, types, sprites, move-sets, and the like. We could stray away from new moves, if we wanted, or could add a few if we wished to give a signature move or two to some "legendaries" (special-oriented Dragon Dance, anyone?). Same with abilities. We could even finally give a Pokemon in the overused meta-game the ability Drought or Drizzle, if we so desired.
That would be pretty awesome. When you think about it from a completely competitive standpoint, a pokemon is just a sprite with a list of available moves, stats, typing, and an ability. It doesn't require anywhere near professional-level programming knowledge to just design a pokemon, and we've already got a program that could probably be used to test out new pokemon without much trouble.

Of course, lots of disputes would probably arise on a ton of different matters, but those would just have to be dealt with as they come along.

So, in other words, I think it's a good idea.

This whole thing is supposed to be an open forum for discussion on how to create the best pokemon, just with actual options so people will have a way to voice their opinions without either getting drowned by a flood of stupidity or having their stupidness drown other people's opinions.

I still think a major decision that needs to be made before we go to the polls is if we want to do a totally new Pokemon or evolve and old one. We have a lot more freedom with the former, but the latter is faster.

Would we be allowed to post a Pokemon we came up with ourselves? Or is this exclusively going to be for Pokemon built one section at a time by the community?

I still think a major decision that needs to be made before we go to the polls is if we want to do a totally new Pokemon or evolve and old one. We have a lot more freedom with the former, but the latter is faster.
That would eventually become a poll. After deciding whether the new pokemon evolves or not, it will be decided what it does or doesn't evolve from/into. Don't worry, I've got it covered.

Kamikaze: Don't post your own pokemon please. I expect some jackass who can't read the rules will post some retarted base 800, but hopefully everyone will ignore him/her. That's not the point of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)