1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon's Favourite Trolling Styles

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by monkfish, Dec 31, 2007.

1. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I think my first post was probably a locked thread in Congregation introducing myself as a p. good pokemon player and/or asking where I could find the leagandry 'NetBattle'. 1,999 posts later, I look back on my 12-year old self and introduce to you one of the greatest threads of very-nearly-2008 so far:

Smogon's Favourite Trolling Styles
    Featuring your most beloved trolls and styles in addition to potentially new material. I spelled it 'favorite' in the title so the Americans weren't suspicious. wait no i didnt oh god how do i make thread

So, you're all here in the Smogon forums - the chances are you've also ventured into the Wifi Section/Stark Mountain once or maybe even twice if you had a girl over you were trying to impress. So really, once. The point is that we all love to marvel at a skilled troll - a troll who skims passionately, beautifully along the boundary of disbelief, like a Swedish ice-skating champion gliding along beside a glacial crevace. All of us dream of reaching such a high level of proficiency and this thread can help anyone reach that goal. We all have our personal favourites and there are a few distinctive styles that this thread will cover!

First up - Introducing........... The Contenders!
    1. [<^_oo_[<^;;
    2. Impeccable grammar and intelligent prose with an outrageous insensitivity to logic.
    3. improper,use of punctuations and language?and no spacings.
    4. a random double space here and there o _o
    5. barillian !! grande barillians !!?!america booo!!! xD
    6. just dumb angry kids!!!! F***ING P*$$ED AT THE INTERNET i hope u die!!!!!!n if u dnt i wil cum 2ur house n kill u my self!!!!!
    7. copying previous segments of conversF***ING P*$$ED AT THE INTERNETation and pasting them in the middle of a line
    8. nonsensical insults
    9. I am the administrator.
    2 [xxxxxxxxxx ] 2. Profiles [Xxxxxxxxxxxx)
    An in-depth look at each style with exAMPLES OF AFOREMEntioned styles.

[<^_oo_[<^;;
    A trademark Anime emoticon is all that's needed to give your post the authenticity it needs. Readers will get so lost in the complexity of the facial features that they'll forget they ever doubted you. Also handy for showing your sarcasm if you want the December '07ers to understand that you're joking.

Impeccable grammar and intelligent prose with an outrageous insensitivity to logic.

He's... he's just too pompous to be true! This is going through the mind of every person who reads your unnecessarily longwinded tripe. They'll be so confused at your apparent abundance of intelligence but incredible lack of rationale that they won't dare question you for fear of being contraversially wrong. Too much use of this device may result in you being banned from various communities.

improper,use of punctuations and language?and no spacings.

a personal favourite,popularised by the great doduo.the rapidity of the sentences give it a desperate sense of urgent edginess,as if you are far too heavily invested in the transaction.

a random [double] space here and there o _o

Conversely, the random space breaks up sentences like a silent fart that only gets noticed later when you realise how funny it is. Glen is the sole proponent of the o _o smiley which is mentioned because it is hilarious but you might wanna just not use it cause glen might get possessive, hes a bit clingy. just like his jeans.

barillian !! grande barillians !!?!america booo!!! xD
    If you haven't ever seen this gimmick then the chances are you were kinda offended by my final comment for Contender 1. The source of meny best time!!! on netbattle, head over to the netbattle user profiles thread for more hilarity.

just dumb angry kids!!!! F***ING P*$$ED AT THE INTERNET i hope u die!!!!!!n if u dnt i wil cum 2ur house n kill u my self!!!!!

www.youtube.com - for great examples see youtube comment thread

copying previous segments of conversF***ING P*$$ED AT THE INTERNETation and pasting them in the middle of a line
    SOOO in at the moment - it's THE trolling tool of Christmas 2007. Invented by the mystical trolling power that is the combined Steelicks and chaos, it has strangely managed not to spread to the rest of the internet, giving it that personal, familiar touch. Slightly obvious but hilarious nonetheless.

nonsensical insults
    Used by trolls and Brazilians alike, the nonsensical insult can be both a powerful trolling device and a source of great joy for prospective bystanders. Use your imagination, just as these cheeky chappies have done:
    I am the administrator.
    Probably the most fun to use. Most people have done it at some point or another - just go into a channel and act with a false sense of authority, threatening to ban people even though you can't. The less astute users won't realise you're trolling and will get hilariously wound up.
    Mekkah's example:
    If the search function was working I'd tell you to look for 'barkers-kun' in firebot.

+----------------+
    | 3. Conclusion |
    +----------------+
    You've seen the contenders, so get voting (except i cant be bothered to make this a poll) - thanks to the advanced feedback technology of this forum you can even suggest your OWN personal favourites by hitting the 'Post Reply' button!

a m0nkfish thread:pimp:
  2. Yuri

Yuri

I like number two. Number nine is very good too but must be masterfully played.
  3. Phiddlesticks

Phiddlesticks

I like attempting to have a conversation with someone in a language you don't know :x On the list in the first post though, nonsensical insults are my favourite.
  4. Sunday

Sunday God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I hate the no punctuation style. Screw you Munje.
  5. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I can't believe there's no "I'm a girl" in here. I just can't. Congrats on 2k though.
  6. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

i prefer posting penises [​IMG]
  7. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

that cum does not look healthy
  8. the Lexx

the Lexx

"I want to join your clan"
  9. Toothache

Toothache Let the music play!

If I get in one of those rare moods where I find myself wanting to troll, I generally find the most eager minded of people (see the PikaPika log for example). Lure them into a false sense of friendship, support (in their eyes) their point of view or ideas, then encourage them to take the initiative and tell the world. It has hilarious consequences, all for very little effort. I generally get to sit back and watch the hilarity as some poor sap makes a fool of himself. It only works on a certain sort of person, but they are easy to identify, and the results are often hilarious.
  10. Nate

Nate
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

11. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?

hahaha yeah thats the one, awesome
  12. Portugeez

Portugeez

Pick me!!!!!11!!1!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Venom

Venom red eyes no visine
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Mekkah wins!
  14. Doomsday

Doomsday

I really like both 9 and 3, but I'm going to go with 3 here not only to FUCK MEKKAH but also because doduo is awesome.
  15. Hyra

Hyra
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I'm stuck between the Mekkah of trolling or an angry army of Obi's yelling at someone. I'll guess I'll have to go with Mekkah because Obi doesn't troll enough.
  16. Altmer

Altmer rid this world of human waste
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

2,3,9 are amazing
  17. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I can't decide between 2 and 9.

If I have to pick one, I guess I'd go with 9, purely because of the potential it has when executed properly.
  18. D_Force

D_Force

#2 and #9 for me. I dont know, it just seems that the others dont require much effort. When 2 and 9 are pulled off correctly, theyre pretty hilarious.
  19. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

yeah mekkah's right. as an example you could use BlackBraGirl! also, congrats on the 2k!
  20. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I'd say 2 (though I'm a fan of 3 as well). That's seemingly the closest to those BlitzTheReaper troll topics, which are some of my favorites.
  21. pear

pear

Your join date is two months after mine and I was 14 back then.

#2 seems like something I could easily pull off on forums, #9 is hard to do but having the nick Owner on my NickServ group could be a useful resource, and the others are just elements of trolling rather than techniques in themselves.
  22. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

9 is easily my favourite! nice job m0nk
  23. Mr.378

Mr.378

I like 2 and 3.
  24. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND

25. almino

almino

You all forgot the best kind of trolling: Holocaust Denial.

Today's sad holocaust tale comes from Eva Clarke

Eva was not even born when she survived a death camp. Eva's mother was sent to Auschwitz, where they killed all the women and children, but by some miracle, Eva's mother survived 3 weeks without food or water in a cattle car to Auschwitz, and then Eva survived being born in a grocery cart pushed along by typhus victims who were being death marched.

The Germans were going to gas Eva on the 29th, when she was born, but instead they blew up the gas chambers on the 28th.

Eva's mother weighed just 60 lbs and was 9 months pregnant with Eva when a Nazi officer was going to whip Eva's mother for drinking a glass of milk, but changed his mind. After all, Eva had already been without food or water for 3 weeks on a death train.

The nazis were trying to kill all the Jews who couldn't work. Eva weighed only 3 lbs, and did not move or cry when she was wrapped in newspapers. In April. In Austria.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)