CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Art Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the idea? I'm usually up for helping with sketches, assuming I can get a decent mental image to work from. If you are willing to do the drudgery of spriting the thing, I'll help with the visualization, if I can. If I can't see it in my head, I'll tell you.

I'm thinking of a Huge Snowflake-Spider each of the pointy things in the flake being a leg, each one of those having multiple spikes.

Work your magic, I can help a bit but I'm more of a Digital Artist than a Pencil one.

coughaltvenonatevocough yeah.... anyways, I did steal the snowflake wings idea. There is such a thing as a snow moth... The one I drew has some pointy edges that could be used for SD, maybe... I know, I know, we have enough moths... but I like this sketch a lot. Not colored because I just kind of sketched it when I saw this thread.

By the way click it for a larger image.

More description:

Think of surskit/masquerain.

A ball with 4 legs/wings that look like a snowflake's tips. like an X pattern.
The Pokemon would spin (rapid spin any1?) to attack physical and would "shoot" special attacks from its underside, using all 4 wings to cover it up sorta charging the attack open them and boom!

Super bad and ugly sketch (Bird's eye view):

The spikes of the flake turned out super bad, but It should give you an idea.

I'll edit this into the first post.

No spriting please! That's not what this is about. What I'm hoping you'll design is not the final pokemon, but a preliminary sketch. For emphasis, this is not the last art thread that will be made. Also, please provide a basic description with your art, so that others will really get the idea of your pokemon. For example, Soy-Monk = good, Tyranitar.armaldo = bad. If you can't draw or scan, go ahead and paint, but sketches are appreciated.

We don't know yet if this pokemon is final form or not, but judging by the current poll, it's going to have a BST between 520-559. So it doesn't really matter whether your pokemon is Spinda cuddley or Garchomp ferocious.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Since we're not spriting anything at this stage, I decided to let my imagination go a little bit and just let it flow into a sketch.

Here's a bug I imagine came straight out of a sci-fi movie. Natural eye goggles protect from blizzard winds... Icy crystals for joints as part of it's arctic origins.. Special foot pads for traveling quickly over soft powder snow... A razor-sharp barbed tail that encases a glowing orb capable of firing any number of special energy beams...

This design is intended to be both bug and ice... both physical and special. A little bit cute, a little bit dangerous...

Many more ideas are floating through my head right now. I'll work 'em up as I get the time. Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Soy-Monk, could we get a better view of the head? Right now it is really blurry and hard to make out. Also, Pinsir evo anyone?

I still think a Spider would be the best way to go. Moths = overflowing amounts. Beetle = Heracross and Pinsir. Spider = Ariados. In other words, we have less competition if we go with a Spider like look. The scorpion look was just done recently with Drapion, do we want to repeat it so soon?

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Looks like some sort of pre-evo for that scorpion I drew lol
After seeing the tail on your design, I definitely had "scorpion" on my mind. But, I really wanted to combine several bug elements into the design. The head was inspired by an ant. The legs were meant look spider-like. The tail... well, that's obvious.

I wanted the "bug" theme to come through loud and clear. The "ice" part is really hard to do. Probably have to do that with colors. Amazing what some muted blues and white can do to connote ice...

BTW, love your sketch Soy. Scary badass for sure. Honestly, even if I tried, I don't think could come up with anything more badass than your Yukalio! I'm going for something a little less intimidating.

Sorry for crappy size, but I'm still learning how to use ImageShack. This is a design I was tinkering with, named "Mantice." The body is supposed to be made up of ice, hence the see-though abdomen. Six legs mean bug. I'll do another sketch later.

After seeing the tail on your design, I definitely had "scorpion" on my mind. But, I really wanted to combine several bug elements into the design. The head was inspired by an ant. The legs were meant look spider-like. The tail... well, that's obvious.

I wanted the "bug" theme to come through loud and clear. The "ice" part is really hard to do. Probably have to do that with colors. Amazing what some muted blues and white can do to connote ice...

BTW, love your sketch Soy. Scary badass for sure. Honestly, even if I tried, I don't think could come up with anything more badass than your Yukalio! I'm going for something a little less intimidating.
You should have seen the first sketch. It was too realistic for a Pokemon character, so i stopped right after finishing the head.

Anybody want to do a design of my Idea?

A cross between Spider + Snowflake + Shuriken (Ninja Star)

For more read my previus 2 post.

Anybody want to do a design of my Idea?

A cross between Spider + Snowflake + Shuriken (Ninja Star)

For more read my previus 2 post.
I keep thiking frail Metagross, structure-wise XD

Then I think it'd have crazy Speed and some Flying moves or Levitate lol.

I was thinking of random abilities for Yukalio. Since it'll probably be slow as shit (~55 base Speed maybe), would giving it a Hail version of Swift Swim make it too broken? That or Hyper Cutter or something lame like Battle Armor.

DougJustDoug

I was thinking of random abilities for Yukalio. Since it'll probably be slow as shit (~55 base Speed maybe), would giving it a Hail version of Swift Swim make it too broken? That or Hyper Cutter or something lame like Battle Armor.
If it isn't Intimidate, then something is seriously wrong...

I guess that works too...
INTIMIDATE!!!

I had time to kill before going to sleep for my last final tomorrow morning... So I decided to ink it.
Color suggestions?
That, sir, is godly. I think that green and white would work since it's Ice/Bug. It's your decision though.

That is ungodly beautiful. My hat is off to you.

My fucking scanner doesn't work and I can't find my camera. Not like my design is that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)