CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Art Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug: Very nice. My only problem with it is that it doesn't seem to have any way to launch of special attacks.

Looks great! Not sure if it's horny enough to use megahorn though
I'd sig this, but I value my sig space.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Doug: Very nice. My only problem with it is that it doesn't seem to have any way to launch of special attacks.
If you think about it, very few pokemon actually have a visual indication of special attack capability. Sceptile, Togekiss, Gengar, PorygonZ,... the list goes on and on. For most special attackers, the attacks just kind of "come out". If you've played any of the 3D games, that's exactly how most of the special attacking pokemon attack animations look. A beam just kind of emanates from their bodies or their hand-like appendages, if applicable.

In general, I think we should pick a pokemon design that looks good, fun, and interesting. As for visual support of physical or special attacks, it's not a big deal. Dugtrio gets Sucker Punch -- tell me how the hell THAT happens, considering it has no arms?!? Lots and lots of pokemon have moves that don't fit their visual. If we try to design a pokemon visual that supports all the moves and abilities of the pokemon, we might up with a bizarre "swiss army knife" design.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very good multi-functional designs posted. (CyzirVisheen's comes to mind as a good example) But, I hope people don't put too much focus on that part of the design evaluation.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
doug: i know that gothic togekiss talked you out of further design on this

but pleese can you keep working on it, it is by far my favorite idea yet, you could adapt the side spikes so they could fire sp. attacks or make it so they come strait from the horn/eyes. it is simple so it can fit into a small sprite it has bug (horns, head, body) and ice (sled, eyes, snowflakes) caracteristics.
your new idea, though it is well drawn, looks too much like flygon with ice blocks for wings and a sled, i cant see the bug in it.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you think about it, very few pokemon actually have a visual indication of special attack capability. Sceptile, Togekiss, Gengar, PorygonZ,... the list goes on and on. For most special attackers, the attacks just kind of "come out". If you've played any of the 3D games, that's exactly how most of the special attacking pokemon attack animations look. A beam just kind of emanates from their bodies or their hand-like appendages, if applicable.

In general, I think we should pick a pokemon design that looks good, fun, and interesting. As for visual support of physical or special attacks, it's not a big deal. Dugtrio gets Sucker Punch -- tell me how the hell THAT happens, considering it has no arms?!? Lots and lots of pokemon have moves that don't fit their visual. If we try to design a pokemon visual that supports all the moves and abilities of the pokemon, we might up with a bizarre "swiss army knife" design.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very good multi-functional designs posted. (CyzirVisheen's comes to mind as a good example) But, I hope people don't put too much focus on that part of the design evaluation.
You know, I have to agree with this. If I didn't prefer my own design, I'd have to go with something asthetically pleasing, something that was simple but interesting. Probably either JSC's or Doug's. But my mind would always be focused on "does having that move even make any sense?" Then I remember Focus Punch Togekiss and Ice Punch Wooper (seriously, does this make any sense at all!?) and the like, and I shut up. Also, I disagree with Cooper. It, to me, looks like there are a few points where it could launch special attacks: From the wings, from the snout, and in between the two claws. There are just two things I don't really like about it... One is the fact that, as some had already stated, it resembles Flygon way, way too much. The second thing is the the fact that it looks impractical. I just can't get over the fact that its hind-legs are fused together to make those skis. I mean, I understand why they're there. It just seems that it would hinder it on level ground. Okay, there's the wings, but my point still stands. I dunno, it's just my opinion on it. Other than those two issues, I really like that design. Good job on the coloring too, I love the simple choice of colors.

EDIT: One last thing:
Looks great! Not sure if it's horny enough to use megahorn though
I'm sooo siggin' that!

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
doug: i know that gothic togekiss talked you out of further design on this but pleese can you keep working on it, it is by far my favorite idea yet, you could adapt the side spikes so they could fire sp. attacks or make it so they come strait from the horn/eyes. it is simple so it can fit into a small sprite it has bug (horns, head, body) and ice (sled, eyes, snowflakes) caracteristics.
For me, the last design (ski bug) turned into more of a fun art project than a continuation of the pokemon design competition. I think I'm the only one that likes the design, and that's fine. Hopefully others will enjoy the rendering, at least. If not, that's fine too...

As for the "sled bug", I may start to render it and see if I get inspired by it again. Right now, artistically, it's kinda "meh". I don't know about the other artists, but for me-- I can't just grind out a picture that I don't like. Since art isn't my day job, I have to like what I'm working on. But, those things can change for me. Sometimes, I just have to get started and then it takes care of itself.

Sorry about before, I just read the thread. next time I should read it more carefully. LOL. Okay, so I hope you didn't already choose one, yet, but I thought maybe they could make an evolution off of Scyther. Maybe holding some item to make Scyther Evolve into a Ice Type, and I was also thinking like Gallade, they have a male form of Kirila(sp), this could be a female type. I'm thinking Maybe for a name. Blade, or IceBlade, or Slasher (for a lack of creativity), maybe Chill or Freeze Cutter, or mabe Frizzer. (Like Scizor, but with Freeze). I would also like to see this bug type has a decent ability.Maybe something that speeds up in Hail Storms, (doubles speed) or Raises evasiveness in Hail Storm.

I'd like to see another Bug Attack, like Double Cut, or Double Slash...I dunno what you think. but what are your opinions

Even if it's not an evolution, maybe it could be a rival like Pinsir is to Heracross. (Obviously, Pinsir is not, but you know what I mean. I hope.)

The second thing is the the fact that it looks impractical. I just can't get over the fact that its hind-legs are fused together to make those skis. I mean, I understand why they're there. It just seems that it would hinder it on level ground.
This is the main reason why I "persued" Doug out of his sled beetle idea despite the fact it's one of my favorite design so far. I couldn't accept the idea of it having no other way of moving around other then going downhill and shit. I did suggested that if it had legs that could morph into ski/sleds or could tuck it's legs in like Meta does with his limb and then slid down snowy hill on his stomach then it would be better. Unless this thing can move around on rocky leveled ground with it's sled then I'll more then happy to support it some more.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is the main reason why I "persued" Doug out of his sled beetle idea despite the fact it's one of my favorite design so far. I couldn't accept the idea of it having no other of moving around other then going downhill and shit. I did suggested that if it had legs that could morph into ski/sleds or could tuck it's legs in like Meta does with his limb and then slid down snowy hill on his stomach then it would be better. Unless this thing can move around on rocky leveled ground with it's sled then I'll more then happy to support it some more.
i thought the same but then i had an idea about that, how about if it had smaller legs UNDERNETH the body that it used for going uphill then when it reached the top it folded the legs onto its stomach and slid downhill.
alternitevly the side spikes could be modified into legs and they could push it uphill.
its good to hear that it was one of your favorite ideas, mabe it has a chance.

DougJustDoug

i thought the same but then i had an idea about that, how about if it had smaller legs UNDERNETH the body that it used for going uphill then when it reached the top it folded the legs onto its stomach and slid downhill.
alternitevly the side spikes could be modified into legs and they could push it uphill.
its good to hear that it was one of your favorite ideas, mabe it has a chance.
Many pokemon are built for mobility in a specific environment. Take, for example, almost every Water pokemon in existence. Goldeen, Lumineon, Gorebyss, etc. etc. etc -- you can pull those guys out of a PokeBall in the middle of the desert and they perform just fine. How? I don't know, but it works. That's the thinking with the ski bug. It's built for snowy climates. In those environments, it's a badass. Hopefully, it's a badass in other environments as well. Why? I don't know why. It just works. That's the nature of pokemon.

BTW, I'm totally cool with people not grooving on my ski bug design because of the Flygon resemblance. The Flygon thing is actually intentional. Way back when I posted the very first sketch in one of the poll threads, I mentioned that Flygon has a lot of "bug" in it. Trapinch is clearly an ant, and Vibrava is clearly a dragonfly. I think both of these pokemon are meant to be based off the ant-lion, but I'm not sure. Regardless, they are obviously insects, even though they are not the Bug type. With Flygon's "antennae" and geometric wings, I think it retains a lot of bug-like features. I've always imagined the ski bug as a cousin or maybe an alternate evo for Trapinch.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Many pokemon are built for mobility in a specific environment. Take, for example, almost every Water pokemon in existence. Goldeen, Lumineon, Gorebyss, etc. etc. etc -- you can pull those guys out of a PokeBall in the middle of the desert and they perform just fine. How? I don't know, but it works. That's the thinking with the ski bug. It's built for snowy climates. In those environments, it's a badass. Hopefully, it's a badass in other environments as well. Why? I don't know why. It just works. That's the nature of pokemon.

BTW, I'm totally cool with people not grooving on my ski bug design because of the Flygon resemblance. The Flygon thing is actually intentional. Way back when I posted the very first sketch in one of the poll threads, I mentioned that Flygon has a lot of "bug" in it. Trapinch is clearly an ant, and Vibrava is clearly a dragonfly. I think both of these pokemon are meant to be based off the ant-lion, but I'm not sure. Regardless, they are obviously insects, even though they are not the Bug type. With Flygon's "antennae" and geometric wings, I think it retains a lot of bug-like features. I've always imagined the ski bug as a cousin or maybe an alternate evo for Trapinch.
Ah, now it makes sense. Okay, I was just assuming that this would be a stand-alone pokemon. Knowing this, you could say that a Vibrava in cold environments evolves into this bug, completely changing its typing. Haha, this is quite interesting. And yeah, agreeing with you on the whole "look at me, I'm a fish fighting on land" thing. I'm just the type of person who prefers to have a reasonable-sounding explaination for my ideas, even when I draw the most absurd things. Oh well, it's pokemon, what can you do about it?

The Ski-Bug is easy, Basically it has 4 limbs on the bottom, and each on of these limbs attaches and disattaches to one in front. Thus allowing it to be amazing on slopes e.t.c aswell as being able to walk around e.t.c

Think of it like machamp if machamp was to grab his top arms with his bottom he'd certainly have similarities to the limb structure that Ski-Bug could have.

Anyways Soy continues to rock my sox with his poke. His poke in question doesn't look like it can actually walk, Looks like it glides along the surface instead, Think DBZ. And that Fits into the speed thing. A little alteration to Soy's that may show the redcuded defesnes is to state that the armor is made of ice Which if you ever hit it can crack quite easily depending on how thin it is

Anyways if you took my theory on Soy's an Dougs poke then you can get MEGAHORN easily :D

This one is definitely my favorite, I can just imagine it swaying back and forht as it hovers, then dashing forward wiht amazing speed an power. This one is quite amazing.

_________ used Ice Beam!

It's super effective!

...yeah, this is the male's design. As for the horn issue, I decided to go with both, and give the male the natural horn, and the female the icy horn.
This picture of this one is amazing however, almost beating out the above. Unfortunately, some versions of this one look too bulky around the legs.
I actually like this one the best so far, its one of the few that actually seems like it has the base stats it should. But Soy Monk's I like the best too, looks somewhat slow though, maybe a different pose or a little lost bulk?
I agree with this, and think it would make Soy-Monk's look quite good.

For a relatively fast, mixed Ice/Bug sweeper, CyzirVisheen's design makes the most sense IMO. JSC's "scarf bug" is great too.

still like soymonk's best, but it could use a bigger horn i think (preferably a buglike one since it still looks more like ice than bug). and also i dont really like the having 4 eyes idea, maybe make only 2 but make them bigger and more bug like to incorporate the compound eyes ability(which is currently winning in the ability voting although id prefer snow cloak...)

i still dont understand the "it looks slow" part, maybe because of the armoring on the legs, maybe remove that to make them happy i guess.

Just want to tell everyone that the art poll is coming up in a few days. I'll try and post everyones art, though some will be excluded (like the Dark/Flying for obvious reasons...).

Whenever you guys come up with your final product, see if you could make one to fit inside a 90x90 pixel area. Then just wait and see what happens =D

DougJustDoug

Whenever you guys come up with your final product, see if you could make one to fit inside a 90x90 pixel area. Then just wait and see what happens =D
I assume you are making a coy reference to the difficulty of spriting.
1) It's 80x80 for a pokemon sprite, not 90x90
2) You should read the other threads on this project, because this thing has moved way past the discussions in this thread
3) We have decided on the final design
4) We've made several fit in an 80x80 square. Here's one of the best ones (done by KoA):

"Just wait and see what happens" --- Yeah, right....

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Actually Doug, that was the older version, and it went 6 pixels too wide. The one in my avatar was the final product with proper size.. I'm working on the second pose now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)