CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Art Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
By popular demand (or demand of a few people), I'm posting here to advertise the fact that the pokemon currently being created in the Stark Mountain forum surrently needs an art design.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, find the links here:

Poll 1
Poll 1 part two
Poll 2
Poll 3
Poll 4

If those don't work for you, just know that the pokemon is currently a Bug/Ice mixed sweeper.

Now, for the art. Please post your art in this thread, though I'd prefer links to other pages, to help with polling options. There aren't any rules to this, just be creative, appropriate if at all possible, and stick to the typing and function. No bulky Fire types please.

EDIT: No spriting please! That's not what this is about. What I'm hoping you'll design is not the final pokemon, but a preliminary sketch. For emphasis, this is not the last art thread that will be made. Also, please provide a basic description with your art, so that others will really get the idea of your pokemon. For example, Soy-Monk = good, Tyranitar.armaldo = bad. If you can't draw or scan, go ahead and paint, but sketches are appreciated.

We don't know yet if this pokemon is final form or not, but judging by the current poll, it's going to have a BST between 520-559. So it doesn't really matter whether your pokemon is Spinda cuddley or Garchomp ferocious.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Hm, a Bug/Ice type Mixed Sweeper sounds interesting. I'm assuming it's only a single evolutionary pokemon?

Well, I'll have a couple sketches up in a few days.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
cooper: are you asking for a sprite + backsprite or just a skech that can be in any format(pencel, paint shop)?

since cooper hasent answerd the questions yet i will do my best
I'll try it out when I get the time. When's the deadline?
ether 3, 6 or mabe 9 days(depending on which oder the polls go in)

Hm, a Bug/Ice type Mixed Sweeper sounds interesting. I'm assuming it's only a single evolutionary pokemon?
it hasent been chosen yet so its your choice, someone sugeted a altenet syther evo, or skiing bug or ice spider or... just look trough poll 3 there are soe ideas in there, or you could come up with a new idea.

Well, I'll have a couple sketches up in a few days.
brill

If it is sprites you are looking for I have made one that you could use for this new pokemon, although my spriteing skills arent that good. Mabye some expert could tweak it.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
tyranitar.amaldo: if you do the shadeing around the head, improve the arms and legs, and mabe make a backsprite that could be good.

calciphoce: so long as you make them look diferent eneugh i would asume so.

I will give it a try, I'm quite good at making scratch sprites.

I just need a reference to know how it should look like.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here are three concepts of "Ski Bug" or "Sled Bug" that I came up with.

The first is the "cute" version. Conceptually inspired by Ledian, which is obviously a ladybug. This is more of a generic bug, looking somewhat ant-like and beetle-like.

The second is my current favorite. Which is odd, because I rejected it when I first made the sketch. It's has inspirational roots from Flygon. Obviously is a praying mantis theme.

The last is the most serious-looking of the three. I call it the "toboggan bug". I'd call it "Tobuggan", if that name didn't suck so hard. Meant to look menacing. Based on horned beetle pics I looked up on the internet. This was really geared to get a big horn in place, so as to justify the move Megahorn. I added ice crystal eyes to allow for Ice Beam and other special attacks. This is my least favorite of the three. Mainly because, unless you are familiar with horned beetles, you might ask, "What the heck is that?"

Spriting is so damn time-consuming, I'm not going to work on any sprites without some feedback. If anybody else thinks I'm onto something good with these sketches, feel free to help.

The last is the most serious-looking of the three. I call it the "toboggan bug". I'd call it "Tobuggan", if that name didn't suck so hard. Meant to look menacing. Based on horned beetle pics I looked up on the internet. This was really geared to get a big horn in place, so as to justify the move Megahorn. I added ice crystal eyes to allow for Ice Beam and other special attacks. This is my least favorite of the three. Mainly because, unless you are familiar with horned beetles, you might ask, "What the heck is that?"

This one would be much cooler without the sleds as it remind me of a torpedo with horns. How bout legs that it can tuck in and use his belly, something like Metagross does.

Edit: I'm now imaging it as a horned, icy version of Heatran.

Hey Doug, I got an Idea, since your good at making sketches:

I'll give you my idea
You draw it
I sprite it (you can search in the sprite thread to see my work)

Sounds good to you?

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This one would be much cooler without the sleds as it remind me of a torpedo with horns. How bout legs that it can tuck in and use his belly, something like Metagross does.

Edit: I'm now imaging it as a horned, icy version of Heatran.
Yeah, the horned sled-bug just didn't work. But, I like the direction you are going. I really wanted to get a horned beetle concept to work. The sled idea gave an impression of speed, but it just didn't gel. I swept back the legs, which made it look like a water-beetle. Overall, just too much going on to give it a cohesive look. When I get some time, I'll ditch the runners and rework the legs and see if that helps. What about the horned carapace? I thought that was kinda fail also. But, there's really no nice way to do it without it looking like a rhino or dinosaur. If you looked at it and thought the "bug" feel came through, then maybe it's worth a second pass.

DougJustDoug

Hey Doug, I got an Idea, since your good at making sketches:

I'll give you my idea
You draw it
I sprite it (you can search in the sprite thread to see my work)

Sounds good to you?
What's the idea? I'm usually up for helping with sketches, assuming I can get a decent mental image to work from. If you are willing to do the drudgery of spriting the thing, I'll help with the visualization, if I can. If I can't see it in my head, I'll tell you.

Yeah, the horned sled-bug just didn't work. But, I like the direction you are going. I really wanted to get a horned beetle concept to work. The sled idea gave an impression of speed, but it just didn't gel. I swept back the legs, which made it look like a water-beetle. Overall, just too much going on to give it a cohesive look. When I get some time, I'll ditch the runners and rework the legs and see if that helps. What about the horned carapace? I thought that was kinda fail also. But, there's really no nice way to do it without it looking like a rhino or dinosaur. If you looked at it and thought the "bug" feel came through, then maybe it's worth a second pass.
I got the feeling of a bug from it even with the sleds. I think the only couple of things that needs to be done are: 1)Rework the legs design/structure, 2)Figure out the best route for it's face or see if we can give it a actual bug head and horned carapace thing like true Dynastinae.

Tada! ...

(Protoype) Name: Yukalio (Yuki = Japanese word for ice; Kailios = Pinsir's Japanese name)
Type: Bug/Ice
Species: Ice Hunter Pokemon

Moving on razor sharp, spindly "feet", this Pokemon gracefully moves across icy terrain with ease and amazing speed. It's large upper body and arms and thick carapace give it good protection against the harsh elements and opponents that it may encounter in the wild. Its four durable lenses shield its weak eyes from extreme cold and wind.

Its thick, muscle-bound tail helps it balance since its heavy upper body and can also emit a piercing beam of ice from its sharp tip. The stinger can secret biological toxin into its enemies to Paralyze or Poison them. Its enormous pincers allow it pierce its prey or shoot powerful Ice Beams at its targets. When its prey is fully immobilized and encased in solid ice, it will use the large horn on the front of its head to tear its food into smaller, more manageable chunks since it lacks teeth.

Yukalio definitely doesn't sound at all like Lucario.

In honor of Cooper's avatar, I'll be working on a Phendrana Drifts inspired design. Maybe. I'm actually not very good at drawing, but what the hell, sounds like fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)