CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 11

Whose art will we use for the Syclant sprite?

• KingofAnime - KoA

Votes: 128 57.7%
  • CyzirVisheen

Votes: 84 37.8%
  • DougJustDoug

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for KoA's. Mr Goodbar is right, Cyzir's is good, it's a great pose, but it's seriously way too complicated. To the left side of the sprite it's really hard to tell what's going on between the two arms, and the ice thing coming out of the arm is kinda out of place. The way the abdominal ice wings and the legs interact in the bottom right seems a bit off as well. Though, to be honest, I think Cyzir's wings are amazing, and KoA's arm on the right hand side of the sprite looks like an extension of the horn. I'd be happy if either one won, but tbh I think that some sort of combination of all the good things from both should be the final version.

I also think it'd be really cool if like, the males had the really detailed bug-like wings that Cyzir's sprite has, while the females had the simpler, more sleek wings of KoA.

cyzir's to me looks way to much like a RBY sprite, not a more sleek d/p sprite. KOA's back sprite is much to good to pass up, the animation is pretty cool too.

In the post from Jibaku, the first sprite was what i thought be an amazing Pre-Evo. It fits with the hunting idea/dex entry. Maybe if the arms were a tad smaller. Any thoughts on that?

I voted for KoA's. Mr Goodbar is right, Cyzir's is good, it's a great pose, but it's seriously way too complicated. To the left side of the sprite it's really hard to tell what's going on between the two arms, and the ice thing coming out of the arm is kinda out of place. The way the abdominal ice wings and the legs interact in the bottom right seems a bit off as well. Though, to be honest, I think Cyzir's wings are amazing, and KoA's arm on the right hand side of the sprite looks like an extension of the horn. I'd be happy if either one won, but tbh I think that some sort of combination of all the good things from both should be the final version.
In his defense, the design of the fakemon itself is a bit on the complicated side, especially the wings. Although I can't criticize anyone for that, due to this.

Jibaku, those are the pics we were looking for as concepts for the pre evo.

Shinies for Czyir, because I like them.

In his defense, the design of the fakemon itself is a bit on the complicated side, especially the wings. Although I can't criticize anyone for that, due to this.
That's quite true. I think that KoA was really able to take the complexity of the original design and simplify it well. Though, both of them are incredibly talented and I'd be happy to either one win. (Or sad to see either one lose.)

I thought there was supposed to be a competition for the best drawn version of it, like certain people were supposed to draw this particular pokemon and the best version would be chosen

Maybe it was too complicated looking for him.

Complex != bad, guys.
For a pokemon sprite, I think the trick is a combination of good design and simplicity. I mean, there are very few pokemon that have incredibly detailed sprites. Things like Tentacruel just seem much more detailed than they are. I'm not saying that complexity is bad, but if things are complex enough to take away from the effect a sprite should have, then it's expendable.

Complexity rocks on this guy. Just look at the wings. They're awesome.

there are very few pokemon that have incredibly detailed sprites
You could say that about any aspect of anything involving Pokemon.

Nah, the competition was 'Draw an Ice/Bug'.

JSC's should have won. ;(
Yea but after that they shoulda had everyone redraw Cyzir's pokemon (now known as Syclant?).

The wings is the only thing that Cyzir's may have over KoA's, who can probably change it if the people wanted it that way. KoA's seems better proportioned to me too.

Yes, and that's pretty much the only complicated thing about it.

There's an idea, have KoA change the wings (if he wants to, or we could vote on it). I wouldn't really care one way or the other if they both had those awesome wings.

That's kinda what I mean. Glalie looks a lot more detailed than it is, just because it has kickass shading. It isn't complex at all when you look at it.

I mean, it's really just got some random black spots and blue eyes and teeth on a white ball. With horns. The shading makes it come alive.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This is such a hard choice, I just can't bring myself to vote!!!!

No, seriously, I haven't voted! Who's winning????

Sunday, Cyzir needs YOUR vote!

On topic, I agree with Sanjay, Cyzir's wings on KoA's sprite would be fine with me.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm not going to say who I went for as really, if I had three votes they each would have gotten one.

On the other hand, if the guitar addition was also in the poll it would have gotten every vote I could give it!!!

EDIT: For what was a really awesome Sprite, Doug's way behind in the polls. IMO it's because ti's a different style of spriting, not necesarily because it's the inferior sprite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)