CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 13

What dex entry should we use for Syclant (PICK TWO)?

• Entry 1

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Entry 2

Votes: 39 21.9%
  • Entry 3

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • Entry 4

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • Entry 5

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • Entry 6

Votes: 34 19.1%
  • Entry 7

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • Entry 8

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Entry 9

Votes: 58 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
3 and 8, DELISNACKS FTW!

Also, i'm doing the analysis re-write now, so it'll be posted in just a minute...

Sunday

[SET]
name: Mixant
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Bug buzz
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Substitute / Earth Power
item: Life Orb
ability: Compound Eyes
nature: Naive / Rash
evs: 200 Atk/ 56 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
Syclant has the ability to tear through many of the most common walls in D/P. Compound Eyes provided Syclant with an extremely high power 99% accurate STAB in the form of Blizzard. Brick Break deals with Blissey and will 2HKO 90% of the time. Bug buzz provides a strong STAB that deals with many opponents. Substitute can be used if you do not want to risk mispredicting, which will often force Syclant to switch out. It is also useful to absorb Thunder Waves from Blissey and Cresselia. If you do use substitute than Super Power becomes an option as it can 2HKO Blissey with less EVs. Those EVs give you the same Atk as a max Atk and Satk Syclant with the trade off of 10% recoil from every attack, so all of these damage calcs still stand.

If this set does not have sufficient rapid spin support, it will soon fall to passive damage. To combat this you can use ice shell over Compound Eyes, but only do this if you use an Abomasnow to set up hail or switch to the significantly weaker ice beam.

[SET]
name: Swords Ant
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard / Ice Punch
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Brick Break / U-Turn
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
ability: Mountaineer
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This is a full physical version of Syclant. It's attack reaches astronomical levels after a Swords Dance. Ice Shard takes care of anything that thinks it can switch in on the Swords Dance and out speed for a KO. Ice Punch provides a more reliable Ice STAB.

Fire fang, Thunder fang, Stone edge, Night slash or Shadow claw could be used over Brick Break / U-Turn. Fire fang dents Forretress, who would other wise wall you, after a SD. Thunder fang is your best bet against Gyarados. Stone edge (or Rock slide if you don’t like the poor accuracy and want to take advantage of the flinch chance) has great coverage and can 1KO some Pokemon you would otherwise have problems with Pokemon after a SD. Night slash or Shadow claw can beat down Dusknoir and bulky psychics. Superpower is not an option on this set as the attack drop conflicts with sword dance.

[SET]
name: SpecsSycle
move 1: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 2: Bug buzz
move 3: Super Power / Focus Blast
move 4: Earth Power
item: Choice Specs
ability: Mountaineer / Compound Eyes
nature: +Satk -Def / Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has the ability to do massage damage to most of the OU metagame, provided you predict right. If you run the low accuracy Blizzard and Focus Blast then use the Compound Eyes ability with heavy Rapid Spin support, as Syclant wants to have the ability to switch in and out freely with this set. If you don't want such a high-maintenance Poke than using running Mountaineer, Super Power and Ice beam allows you to still dent Blissey and also be immune to SR. Keep in mind that both Super Power and Focus Blast are unable to 2HKO without SR

[Other Options]
Stone Edge is a good option for dealing with the likes of Moltres and Articuno. Super Power is unable to 1HKO Blissey even with max Atk, so isn't of much note other than on the Choice Specs set, or to 2HKO with less EVs. Thunder Fang and Earth Power will 1HKO Gyarados and Heatran respectively, but don't be tempted to use them on anything that isn't 4x weak as STAB Blizzard or Bug buzz will usually do more. Most of the time its incredibly overpowered STABs will cover it better than a single attack that hits Super Effective against a certain Poke. Choice Band is also an options if you don’t want to have to set up your Physical sweeper, but Syclant isn't build for repeated switch ins. Choice Scarf makes it a decent lead.

[EVs]
Neutral Natured Syclant with max Atk and Life Orb is never guaranteed to 1HKO Blissey with Break Break, but 200 EVs Provide a very reasonable chance and a guaranteed KO with SR in play. Any EVs Leftover from your main form of offence should go into Spd. Always make sure that Syclant can survive two switch ins to SR if running Compound Eyes. This means NEVER give it four Hp EVs. Either eight or none.

[Opinion]
Syclant can tear through some of D/P's prestige walls, but is extremely high maintenance. Its typing is a mixed bag. It has two wonderful STABs for an offensive Poke, but is hindered by a horrible SR weakness. Mountaineer takes care of this, but leaves it using a weaker STAB. If you can keep Syclant in good condition then it will be a great asset to your team.

[Counters]
Infernape can come in on Blizzards and Bug buzz and threaten with Mach Punch. Tentacruel is a good overall counter, but like Infernape dies if Syclant is carrying Earth Power. If the Specs set is being run then Blissey is a good counter, or it can come in on anything other than Brick Break and Substitute on the Mixant set. Priority moves, or Pokes that out speed Syclant can deal very heavy damage once they get in.

Syclant relies on both having extremely powerful and accurate STAB moves and immunity to SR to survive. Taking either one of these away will weaken it significantly. If it is running the Compound Eyes ability then getting down SR and preventing it from being spun away will stop Syclant in it's tracks. If Syclant is using Abomasnow's hail for 100% Acc Blizzard then your own weather changer will hinder it slightly.

VOTE FOR NUMBER TWO.

This Bug needs to be as bad ass as possible.

I mean its an imaginary pokemon, that like the least bad ass thing ever. It need a super metal dex entry to make up for that.

Sunday

Cool. Um, I would do calcs, but I don't know how to. Can someone teach me for later times?
Well, first you have to open a gorebyys (sp) and a Yanmega in Shoddy. Make them both nuetral natured. give each the desired amount of EV's in Syclant would have in Satk. Yanmega gets Syclant's atk EV's put into it's Satk. Now take Gorebyys Satk and enter it as the Satk stat in Metalkids calculator. Do the same for Yanmegas Satk but in the Atk spot. Then take the poke you want to test against, put its EV's and nature into it on shoddy, take those stats and put them into metalkids calculator. Now if you want to test, say, bug Buzz make sure that you have the poke that is Syclant selected to be a bug type pokemon. For ice beam select an ice type Pokemon. Then enter all of the Pokemon your attackings data, so that the calc knows if the Atk is super effective. Then input the base power of the atk and the type (physical or special) and what type the attack is. then make sure "calculate via stats" is selected, and that Syclant is holding a life orb. NOW you can calculate the damage >.<

Yeah, it's long using fakemon...

There really needs to be a comment on the mountaineer ability. As much as we love a carnivore, I think the ability is more interesting.

Sunday

Having both gives it nice options. Neither are gamebreaking, though if they could be both used at once they would be XD

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Infernape Mach Punch is never going to take out Syclant. It has all of 60 Base Power after STAB. Bug/Ice isn't weak to fighting. 70/70 Defenses aren't Sterling, but none of the priority moves bar Extremespeed and Sucker Punch are going to deal much damage.

Thick Fat Hariyama can put it in a bind, and Forretress with Gyro Ball counters it completely without HP Fire. Steelix can switch in on anything except Blizzard, Earth Power, and Superpower on LO sets and KO with Gyro Ball.

Regirock in Sandstorm is also a complete counter, as is Aerodactyl if it switches in on anything other than Ice Beam or Stone Edge. Although Regirock does dislike Specs Earth Power.

Also, Banded Syclant Superpower OHKOs Blissey.

Sunday

Doesn't help that Syclant fails to even 2HKO Infernape if memory serves me correct.

Other counters noted, bar Aerodactly, who is obviously not a counter. I have noted at the end of a counter section that anyhting that is faster can threaten if It can come in. Aero obviously falls under that category and does not need to be mentioned.

Voted 1 + 5. Presents thing is just lol. The gender distinguish is nice, and the part about combat fits in with my vision of the males being Medieval Knights and the females being Queens.

I just don't like the way #9 says that the icicles are "100x stronger than any animal bone"...sounds kinda like when Ponyta's hooves were harder than diamond or Latios outrunning a jet airplane when it can't outrun a Starmie.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Okay I just noticed. There is not an in-battle sprite, like if you were using it.
Actually, there is. I made a complete sprite sheet for this guy, including back sprites. I do need to tweak some things though. (Following Cyzir's suggestions.)

It'd be silly if Cooper posted the entire sheet in each poll though.

Also, I voted 1 and 4 :)

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ruby Sapphire actually had dex entries that explained quite a bit of info.

The icicles on SYCLANT's back grow bigger as it gets older, the older a SYCLANT is the longer the icicles are. The icicles are 100x stronger than any animals bone and razor sharp.
The bold part should say 100x stronger than Mamoswine tusks, its more metal

VOTE FOR # 2......ITS BAD ASS

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ice shell v mountineer

ice shell (the ability that was voted for in this poll http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34050 ) gives imunity to spikes, SR and toxic spikes.

mountineer gives imunity too rock moves on the turn it switchis in, this includes SR.

in a previous poll ice shell won, but someone convinced cooper to change the effect and name off this ability, i do not think this is right. we should have a final short poll to see which ability people want. if they prefer mountineer this time i am fine with that, all i am disagreeing with is cooper changeing the ability after votes had been cast.

i think that mountineer is more powerfull than ice shell, a total imunity to a type that no other pokemon is imune to, and a type that is is normily 4x weak to even for 1 turn seams odd, and more powerful than imunity from spikes/toxic spikes which all flying pokemon and all levitators are imune to.

oh and lord sunday that looks great, what do you think about adding CBant? and maybe a second ev spread for the 1st set if you want to use superpower?

oh and i voted 4 and 5

ice shell (the ability that was voted for in this poll http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34050 ) gives imunity to spikes, SR and toxic spikes.

mountineer gives imunity too rock moves on the turn it switchis in, this includes SR.

in a previous poll ice shell won, but someone convinced cooper to change the effect and name off this ability, i do not think this is right. we should have a final short poll to see which ability people want. if they prefer mountineer this time i am fine with that, all i am disagreeing with is cooper changeing the ability after votes had been cast.

i think that mountineer is more powerfull than ice shell, a total imunity to a type that no other pokemon is imune to, and a type that is is normily 4x weak to even for 1 turn seams odd, and more powerful than imunity from spikes/toxic spikes which all flying pokemon and all levitators are imune to.

oh and lord sunday that looks great, what do you think about adding CBant? and maybe a second ev spread for the 1st set if you want to use superpower?

oh and i voted 4 and 5
Way to NOT READ your "proof" of the ability changing. I quote, from the very thread you linked to:
Automatic, if you're reading this, I did it for you. You have a very good point, and one that I didn't consider. When I created Ice Shell, it was so that this pokemon wouldn't get murdered by its huge weakness. However, Spikes is a constant. Why should I make an ability that gives this pokemon immunity from not only a huge threat, but a respectable one as well? 25% damage with Spikes takes a long time to set up, and if you can do it, then you deserve to win. SR, on the other hand, needs to be goten around. So from this point on, Ice Shell will only protect against Rock damage upon switching in. However, I'm still making it advantageous. Because of the limited number of usable Rock moves in the game, I don't feel this is a huge problem. Nintendo would be proud.
And then all he did was change the name to make it possible for it to be less exclusive. Nobody complained about it up until now, when you started on it.

lol I've been playing Phoenix Wright lately, so I've gotten kinda good at noticing contradictions in stuff.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Way to NOT READ your "proof" (i never said proof so dont write it like a quote) of the ability changing. I quote, from the very thread you linked to:

Automatic, if you're reading this, I did it for you. You have a very good point, and one that I didn't consider. When I created Ice Shell, it was so that this pokemon wouldn't get murdered by its huge weakness. However, Spikes is a constant. Why should I make an ability that gives this pokemon immunity from not only a huge threat, but a respectable one as well? 25% damage with Spikes takes a long time to set up, and if you can do it, then you deserve to win. SR, on the other hand, needs to be goten around. So from this point on, Ice Shell will only protect against Rock damage upon switching in. However, I'm still making it advantageous. Because of the limited number of usable Rock moves in the game, I don't feel this is a huge problem. Nintendo would be proud.
And then all he did was change the name to make it possible for it to be less exclusive. Nobody complained about it up until now, when you started on it.
ok i am sorry i did not say my objections sooner, i was on holaday. but you are wrong several people did complain about the late change, and i have a 3rd sujestion what about removeing the rock imunity and just makeing it imune to SR, as what cooper is trying to say is that he is weakening the ability, but imunity from rock is more usefull than imunity from SR.

lol I've been playing Phoenix Wright lately, so I've gotten kinda good at noticing contradictions in stuff.
ya lord sunday it is generly better, but what about scarf?

I may just add to run no Atk on the mixant if running SuperPower, though I'll have to test if this will 1HKO. The reason there is no CB ant set is that the only reason Syclant has a choice Specs set is that it lacks a Satk upping set, and specs is it's best bet for upping it's Satk. Swords Dance is totally superior to a CB set IMHO.

@ MM2 - PW FTW!!!!!
Have you seen this site?
Here's the homepage, but go to the other one first.
Yeah I know that site. It's pretty fun. I've made him say "All your base are belong to us" lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)