1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 14 (the ACTUAL last poll)

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Cooper, Jan 14, 2008.

?

Ice Shell or Mountaineer?

Poll closed Jan 16, 2008.
  1. Ice Shell

79 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Mountaineer

166 vote(s)
    67.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marrilpet

marrilpet

I actually think Mountaineer should negate ALL damage from Rock moves, even after Syclant is on the field. That's no more broken than Levitate. He still has a huge 4x Fire weakness, as opposed to Poison types with Levitate with can only be hit Super-Effective by Psychic moves.
  2. Hyra

Hyra
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

How many Pokemon with a 4x Ground weak have Levitate. Replace Ground with Fire/Electric/Water for Flash Fire/Volt Absorb/Motor Drive/Water Absorb. Look, if this is immune to Rock, it resist the Ground+Rock combo and the Ground+Ice Combo. The immunity to Rock is too powerful, which is why there are no Rock immunities so far.
  3. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

No. Just NO.
  4. scorchedsky

scorchedsky

That is more broken than Levitate, though. No pokemon has ever been immune to Rock-type moves before, while flyers have always had a ground immunity.
  5. GengarCrysis92

GengarCrysis92

There is a logical reason that Flying types are granted imuntiy, as goes with Levitaters the A). Don't have feet or B). Just, well Levitate, and the reason is: The ground doesn't afect them. They aren't even ON the gorund. Whereas rocks aren't nesecarily on the ground. They could be falling. Which is why Flyings are hurt by Rock. There are some exceptions o this Levitating/Flying thing. I mean why give Flygon Levitate? Other than the fact that is has "Fly" in it's name. Ground doesn't do anything to him either. But w/e Im off on a Tangent. What Im saying is that I makes utterly no sense to get rid of a 4X weakness AND to have it able to dodge something nothing else can.
  6. Arcadia Oni

Arcadia Oni

Mountaineer is awesome. it's like Levitate, and a Rock immunity should exist too.
  7. Jibaku

Jibaku Balance is a fool's master
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Does rock immunity mean immunity to sandstorm as well?
  8. scorchedsky

scorchedsky

I don't think it would provide sandstorm immunity...Does sandstorm check a pokemon's type, or type resistances? We would probably have to search into the actual game code.
  9. sanjay120

sanjay120

Technically Sandstorm is Rock type, but how would we do it? It doesn't receive SS damage at the end of the turn it switches in? It seems to me like giving Shedinja Hail immunity because it isn't weak to ice.
  10. Arcadia Oni

Arcadia Oni

Levitate gives immunity to spikes, so Mountaineer will give to Sandstorm, I guess. But the problem is that will turn to be a little (or a lot) broken... let's wait someone who knows the answer.
  11. Jenigmat

Jenigmat

I think that mountaineer and sandstorm is sorta like Steels and Black Sludge, or Sheddy and Hail. Just because technically they shouldn't be affected, Sandstorm is an end of turn effect, and so should effect through Mountaineer.
  12. GengarCrysis92

GengarCrysis92

AW.....I was going to say that.
  13. Zenigame

Zenigame

I think Ice Shell is the better trait, but my opinion doesn't matter right now seeing how Mountaineer is dominating.
  14. Cooper

Cooper

The reason you fail is because you're basing your entire argument on things that you either don't know or can't know. Saying there may be something like Stealth Vines in the future is like saying Tyranitar is a useless pokemon because there will be a Ghost/Steel with Levitate and Mach Punch in the future. Also, because GSC didn't have abilities, if Nintendo had wanted an ability to guard against Spikes, why didn't they put it in RSE? Everything you've said to this point has been based on evidence you plan to present when a 5th generation comes out, which is ridiculous.

EDIT: For things like the height/weight, I'm going to have a final "Create A Pokemon" Reflections and Final Discussion thread, where everything relating to technical details of Syclant and its pre-evo (Syclar) will be decided. Hopefully it won't require a vote.
  15. zxn666

zxn666

i have an idea:
    Why don't we allow it to have BOTH traits? People can pick the trait that suit their teams better when they use this guy
  16. Jenigmat

Jenigmat

It already has Compoundeyes.
  17. Rhykune

Rhykune

It already has compound eyes as one of its traits.
  18. Sunday

Sunday God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Because we already have compoundeyes, lol.

EDIT: Beat ahahaha.
  19. Cooper

Cooper

No way! That's like, a totally awesome idea! Sadly, if you had participated in every poll up till now, you'd know we already have Compound Eyes as an ability, and these two are fighting for the second slot. But other than that, your idea is so cool!
  20. zxn666

zxn666

well, if there were previous polls on the same subject, then why did you not decide it then instead of now?
  21. GengarCrysis92

GengarCrysis92

Some people started to get agitated with Cooper's desicion to alter the Ability a little, and Cooper didn't want arguements all over the place.
  22. Jenigmat

Jenigmat

Which you would have seen if you had read the previous polls.
  23. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Voted Mountaineer, though I think they're both broken.
  24. Sunday

Sunday God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

If you remember my Analysis of Syclant then he is actually quite easy to counter if you know he has the mountaineer ability. He can't 2HKO quite a few common walls with Ice Beam. Some being of note include Cresselia, and Dusknoir (Who hits hard with Fire Punch)
  25. TaiwaneseDude

TaiwaneseDude

.. Yeah, but that just seems..

I don't know, it's an additional immunity, to ROCK. It just.. in an "elemental" view, it doesn't seem right. The electric/ground is "easily" explainable. Same with flying/ground. Ghost/normal (but those are vice-versa so it's okay). And then dark/psychic (a bit itneresting, but I guess it's to weak the psychic type a bit), then steel/poison (makes sense).

Because this Pokemon lives high up in mountains, it gets to deflect rocks that are on the field, and shards of rocks, groups of rock, sandstorm, and special rocks fused with cosmical powers?

If we were using that "mountaineer" analogy that we used to get the name, it doesn't really add up.

Sure, you can use the whole "Levitate" doesn't mean you should avoid mud. But mud (Mud Bomb, etc.) isn't really a "ground" thing, but it's not necessarily water, and it belongs to the dirt. If a truck was driving through the mud, it would not necessarily make a huge "splash" and "flying things" would not necessarily be.. hit by the mud. This reasonable to you guys?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)