CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 14 (the ACTUAL last poll)

Ice Shell or Mountaineer?

• Ice Shell

Votes: 79 32.2%
  • Mountaineer

Votes: 166 67.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus frickin' Christ, people. Just because YOU don't like Spikes doesn't mean we should have an ability devoted to coming in safely. Whatever, another two days of polling to shut you all up is fine with me [/kidding].

Fine, because a certain person decided to complain, I'm going to settle this once and for all with a poll 14. This poll will serve two purposes: it will give me a chance to point out how broken Ice Shell is once it wins, and it will allow for discussion about the pre-evo. But for the poll at hand, here are the abilities in question:

Ice Shell: Syclant takes no indirect damage for the turn it switches in (specifically from Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock).

Mountaineer: This pokemon takes no indirect or direct damage from Rock type attacks upon switching in. This doesn't block additional effects.

Vote.

On a different note, I'm going to point out a few things about the pre-evo that we should all know:

• It will have the same movepool as Syclant, but will learn everything sooner. Standard.
  • Come on, do we really need a new sprite for this? There have been plenty of links to Cyzir's page of pre-evos, and as I recall, everyone agreed to use them. The first is the only on that works for that purpose.
  • The name needs to relate to Syclant. We can't have something Bugarc (Bug + Arctic) evolve into Syclant. I'm leaning toward Sylar myself.

This poll will close in two days. Hopefully we can end this then.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd just like to say good work Cooper for going through all of this. Lets put a bullet in the brain with a vote for Mountaineer!

Take a guess at what I voted. And here's why:

Ice Shell = Wonderguard
Mountaineer = Honey Gather

Which do you think Nintendo is more likely to accept on a fan submission?

Threw up a vote for mountaineer. Ice Shell is starting to almost sound like magic guard and it just doesn't really fit in my eyes. But switching into a stone edge and not taking damage is pretty dumb, if you predict poorly you should be punished. I dont really like either but immunity to all spikes is closing in on wonder guard too much for me.

Defend your answer, latino. Why is negating the one offensive Rock type that people use metagame broken?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
Take a guess at what I voted. And here's why:

Ice Shell = Wonderguard
Mountaineer = Honey Gather

Which do you think Nintendo is more likely to accept on a fan submission?
I'd say Ice Shell = Wonderguard and Mountaineer = Levitate (really), but whatever, voted for Mountaineer.

Blah.. I really think it should've just been "Syclant takes no indirect damage from Stealth Rock."

I really think Stone Edge immunity on the turn is just a bit too much.

Then Ice Shell is just like additional Spikes immunity, (TS immunity doesn't make sense here) which doesn't make AS much sense but it's more sensible than Mountaineer.

Mountaineer.

It gives an ability to those that aren't specifically Shell-wearing Ice-types, so things like...mountain Pokemon can get it, too.

I voted Mountaineer because Ice Shell would be too broken. Really, do you need immunity to every field effect? Your explanation of Ice Shell also makes me think that if you use toxic or will-o-wisp on Syclant, he will not take damage.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
  • The name needs to relate to Syclant. We can't have something Bugarc (Bug + Arctic) evolve into Syclant. I'm leaning toward Sylar myself.
How about "Artick" like Antartica + Tick.
Edit: also out of the two abilities, i think Ice shell makes the most sense i mean come on, no rock damage on the switch in? What the hell is that? they will obviously see where trying to get around Stealth Rock and Ice shell is a better ability anyway.

Definately Mountaineer. It would get rid of his 4X weakness to rock somewhat. However, I would still be cautious around tyranitar with this thing.

Voted Ice Shell, I found it more useful overall. Both traits defend it from Rock attacks on switching, but Ice Shell protects it from set-ups. That would render all Stealth Rock setuppers and Spikers useless. Sounds a bit broken, but hey, its useful.

Mountaneer is awesome, but seriously, Ice Shell is more useful IMO.

Blah...this is a hard decision to make here. one hand Ice Shell and it's immuntiy to all spikes like shit is great but on the other hand it a bit broken. Mountaineer also sounds good with it's No Rock and SR damage upon switching in but getting hurt by spikes and Toxic spikes seem weird too since it's fucking floating, and don't say Magazone since he's obivously pulling spikes onto itself with his magents.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
Voted Ice Shell, I found it more useful overall. Both traits defend it from Rock attacks on switching, but Ice Shell protects it from set-ups. That would render all Stealth Rock setuppers and Spikers useless. Sounds a bit broken, but hey, its useful.

Mountaneer is awesome, but seriously, Ice Shell is more useful IMO.
Huh, no. Ice Shell only negates [Toxic] Spikes+Stealth Rock when Syclant switches in. He doesn't stop Bronzong and friends from setting-up Spikes/Stealth Rock.

That would render all Stealth Rock setuppers and Spikers useless. Sounds a bit broken, but hey, its useful.
The problem is, with Thunderpunch, Blizzard, and HP Fire, Syclant can at least 2HKO everything that would try and set up. That's really bad.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mountaineer.

I don't want Magic Guard redux. If you want effective immunity to spikes be a levitating Ground type.

Voted Mountaineer. It's a lot less broken than Ice Shell and anyone who calls themself a good battler should be able to predict a switch after they have seen Syclant, so you can really say Mountaineer's broken.

And another thing. How does a shell of ice protect you from sharp and possibly poisonous spikes and floating pointy rocks. It doesn't make much sence if you ask me.

Ok. i was thinking and "Sylar" isn't going to work as the Pre-evos name. Someone had suggested Sylax, and that seems reasonable. I think we should go with that, to avoid lawsuits aimed at Nintendo.

But why Sylax? To me, that doesn't make any sense flavor-wise. Would Syclar work? That was my first idea, before Sylar was suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)