CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 14 (the ACTUAL last poll)

Ice Shell or Mountaineer?

• Ice Shell

Votes: 79 32.2%
  • Mountaineer

Votes: 166 67.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I just went and took a look at the Java source code for Shoddy. Pokemon Species data is stored in a DB file, which I couldn't read as text. But, based on the code that reads the DB file, it appears to be very straightforward. Other things like movesets, etc are similarly straightforward. I also took a peek at the ability code (It was strange that abilities were in a subdirectory under "Status Effects". Odd...) But, I checked out the implementation of Levitate to see if other immunities might be able to use existing framework code. As expected, it appears that immunity-like abilities fit into a framework of "Move Transformers". That's a positive sign.

All of this really means nothing until the coding project is underway. But, I noticed Shoddy was written in Java, and I've been working with Java for ten years. After a quick peek at the code, I'm optimistic.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Awsome! It would be so cool if we could set up a working server with Syclant in it. Then we could do some serious testing. IMO we should aim to get that done before we send it off to nintendo, because we don't really want to be going up to them if they do make a Syclant like Pokemon and say "Hey, we made a bit of a mistake, could you change this one thing for us" lol...

The reason you fail is because you're basing your entire argument on things that you either don't know or can't know. Saying there may be something like Stealth Vines in the future is like saying Tyranitar is a useless pokemon because there will be a Ghost/Steel with Levitate and Mach Punch in the future. Also, because GSC didn't have abilities, if Nintendo had wanted an ability to guard against Spikes, why didn't they put it in RSE? Everything you've said to this point has been based on evidence you plan to present when a 5th generation comes out, which is ridiculous.
If Nintendo had wanted an ability to make a pokemon heal from Poison, why didn't they put it in DP? If Nintendo had wanted an ability to increase speed when hit by electric attacks, why didn't they put it in RSE? I could go on and on. Point being, there is way more precedent for a "Stealth Vines" than there is for a Ghost/Steel with Levitate and Mach Punch. Even if that happens, I'm not saying anything about uselessness, so your comparison doesn't hold. How did I say Ttar would be useless based on a future event? All I said was that I wouldn't be surprised if such moves exist, as there is precedent for Nintendo increasing entry hazards and types, and they already added Stealth Rock.

Nothing I've said depends on changes in the 5th generation being different. My only argument is that it would be more true to precedent and less broken to have Mountaineer prevent Stealth Rock damage. Please focus on this instead of trying to nitpick examples and twist my arguments.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Sorry for not being online today, i was gone all day and as a result, the sprite will be pushed back another day as well. :(

I'm working on it now though...

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Awsome! It would be so cool if we could set up a working server with Syclant in it. Then we could do some serious testing. IMO we should aim to get that done before we send it off to nintendo, because we don't really want to be going up to them if they do make a Syclant like Pokemon and say "Hey, we made a bit of a mistake, could you change this one thing for us" lol...
lets not have just a "syclant server" lets have a server that will also have ALL the pokemon we create, we could make a hole generation of pokemon with a trio, starters, some Ubers, and yet another useless rodent near the start of the game (dont kill me ratacae/bibarel/furret/linoone lovers).

oh and DJD that is very awsome, i hope you can do this, it would be sooo cool, and maybe we should ask some REALY good hackers if it could be added to the DS games?

oh also im reposting this so cooper sees it

We could have a vote, but Hyra is the only person whom I remember showing any real interest in changing the program, and he liked my idea of putting him in charge.
maybe say that you are looking for someone to run the next program? then whoever offers to run it and has participated in the program well should be on a poll. i would run the program if chosen. or maybe there could be 2-3 people runing this? i dont know, but i would like it to continue. hyra has been very active from the biging and would probably be a good choice though.

maybe say that you are looking for someone to run the next program? then whoever offers to run it and has participated in the program well should be on a poll. i would run the program if chosen. or maybe there could be 2-3 people runing this? i dont know, but i would like it to continue. hyra has been very active from the biging and would probably be a good choice though.
For reference, even if I don't address something you said, it doesn't mean I didn't read it. But I'll post a want for a new mod in the final "Create A Pokemon" thread, which will most likely show up later today, when I get home from school.

Nothing I've said depends on changes in the 5th generation being different. My only argument is that it would be more true to precedent and less broken to have Mountaineer prevent Stealth Rock damage.
Ah, but you see, you are worried more about how I'm proving you wrong than how I'm proving me right. I'm basing my argument off the current metagame, where there are no abilities that negate a specific attack, but a range of attacks as a whole. Immunity prevents poinsoning, not negating the move Toxic. Poison Heal gives health if you're poisoned, not if you're poisoned by Toxic Orb. Shed Skin shaves off any status, not Paralysis only. Motor Drive raises speed if hit by an Electric attack, not Thunderbolt/Thunder wave (I could go on all day). My point is that there is no move that prevents the effect of one specific move only, but a range of attacks. If in two generations Nintendo hasn't changed that, even after monitoring how Spikes affected the 3rd gen, what makes you think they'd change now? Your argument is still moot.

People, Taiwanesedude in particular, why do you all think Mountaineer is making Syclant more powerful than it is all the time? If you focus more on the last part of the description, as opposed to the beginning, you'd notice that Mountaineer only prevents damage upon switching in. Tyranitar and Gyarados are still viable options for counters, only they can't do it on the switch. Rock is still 4x effective people. And Dugtrio with Arena Trap says hi to the pokemon without Levitate.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i think a multi mod idea would be better than a single one, if one person leaves then the program can continue, maybe 2 or 3? what do you think of that idea?
also i was just posting to remind you to reply as i had posted it quite a log time ago.

I'm torn on this one. From a purely balance perspective Mountaineer is better than Ice Shell, but I really dislike the name of it. Ice Shell sounds (to me) much better and something that would more likely be an actual ability.

I guess I'll vote for Mountaineer, but I still think the word itself doesn't sound very good.

Ok. I don't know if this is too early but I will post this now since I might forget it. Today during my Chem class I was bored and was playing around with the idea of Belly Drum. I thought, hey wouldn't it be an amazingly strong Pokemon to be based off Belly Drum? So I started thinking of Abilites, but after each one I thought, it made it way too broken and near impossible to beat. So, I threw around some ideas and came up with something awsome. Now, not being a good drawer and me not having the ability to scratch Pokemon, I based my Pokemon as a split Evo from Munchlax. So I will post the idea/ "Dex Entry" so to speak in a few. I just need to find the papers that listed the information on it.

EDIT: Here it is:

WarLax [I can't think of a good name yet, so if we decide to go along with this then we should poll a name.]
Classification: Heavy Armour Pokemon
Height: 8" 0'
Weight: 1200 Lbs
Gender Ratio: 50-50
Type: Normal/Steel
Evolution: If a Munchlax is holding the "Gong" item and is hit by a Gut Punch it will evolve after the battle.
Abilities:
-Thick Fat: Halves Damage from Ice and Fire type moves.
For the second one, I had a few choices, one of which I know for a fact will be denied:
A). Iron Gut: Any damage from recoil, sansdstorm, hail, toxic, burn and self-inflicted HP loss is halved.
B). Gluttony: Berries are consumed at 50% or less.
or
C). Charging: Each time this Pokemon inflicts more than 100% damage, this Pokemon takes 5% damage.
Base Stats: 112/40/95/30/70/30
Description of how it looks: Since I can't seem to make a decent Image, I might as well explain how I invisioned it. It basically has the same shape as Snorlax. But, It has a war helmet on its head and a large GONG protecting its belly. It has the same feet as Snorlax, but its hands are a tad different. It has the same arms, but it has a clenched fist with two metal spike coming from its fists, like Knuckels. Hope that can help. Oh and the Gong is worn like Armour, so there are straps.

Flavour Text:
1). [Insert Name here] are known to have sharp hearing. Any noise could potentially set it off into an incredibly fast and near-unstoppable rampage.
2). Because of its war-like attitude, this POKEMON despises the laid-back attitude of Snorlax. If a MUNCHLAX evolves into a SNORLAX, this POKEMON will immediatly challenge it in the wild.

New Moves:

1). Bell Toll

Bp: ---
Accuracy: ---
Effect: While sacrificing HP, this Pokemon's Atk and speed are maxed.
Secondary Effect: 75% of the users HP are lost and Atk and Speed are maxed.
Other Pokemon that can learn this: Bronzong, Chimecho and Cleffa

2). Gut Punch

Bp: 75
Accuracy: 100
Effect: May cause confusion.
Secondary Effect: 10% chance of causing confusion.
Other Pokemon that can learn: Hitmonchan, any Normal Pokemon.

Egg Groups: Mineral and Monster.

Explaination to why these moves and Pokemon etc.:
OK, I felt that Snorlax, whilst being a very good Wall, isn't good at anything else. WarLax [or anothr name] is a little more flexible. At first I thought Bell toll would be too over powered to make it lose 50% Hp, so I played around with percentages and thought 75% was probab;y the best option. Now, I would make it impossible to get Thick Fat with this, so If ability C was chosen, it wouldn't be nearly as overpowered. I added the 2nd move so Normal gets a punch and so this POkemon gets a reliable, good STAB. The Flavour Text i added works very well with the Bell Toll move. For the base stats, I didn't want to make it too strong in Atk and Speed, so that once BELL TOLL is used, it also won't be too overpowered. I gave it nice Defeneses and Hp so if you don't want to go BellyDrum-esque you can make it a wall. Im making it so BELL TOLL is an Egg Move, so when you trade over your Munchlax, it doesn't get Thick Fat and it won't be too overpowered and barely stoppable. So Bell Toll + Thick Fat would be illegal in-game, but viable in Shoddy, unless we could make it where you can't get both. Gut Punch is both a Level up move AND Egg movee, so either one would not be iilegal. This move would be granted to Bronzong and Chimecho as level up moves. I gave it the Mineral Egg group to get Bell Toll from Bronzong.

I really hope you take this into consideration. I thought about this all day, trying to not make it Uber material, but good enough to be in OU. PLease, please, PLEASE take this into consideration. Im going to find someone to sprite or make a Pic of this ASAP.

Sunday

Could we pleeease just focus on finishing Syclant before we even talk about having another?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok. I don't know if this is too early but I will post this now since I might forget it. ...
Here it is:

WarLax....
So, I guess you just want to skip the whole "14 Polls and Everyone Votes On Each Piece" idea. Let's all post an entire pokemon concept and have one vote on the favorite -- is that it?

I don't think so. That isn't "Smogon Creates a Pokemon". That is a contest for "Best new pokemon idea". And it's been done before. Many times, I think.

I appreciate the hard work you've put into this WarLax, but it's really pointless to present a fully-formed concept. This project is based on the idea of building a pokemon piece-by-piece, with community votes for each step. This Warlax thing is interesting, but has very little to do with this project.

I hasn't cared to much for the create a pokemon pools before but i cant let this broken thing have ice shell, Mounter ftw even thought i dont like the ideo of switching into rock slide/Stone Edge and then just... avoid it?

I was just posting it so I didn't forget. It isn't set in stone. It was just a base idea.

EDIT:
@ Lord Sunday: Scylant is pretty much done. The only thing left is for Cooper to post the letter to Nintendo so we can tweak it.

I was just posting it so I didn't forget. It isn't set in stone. It was just a base idea.

EDIT:
@ Lord Sunday: Scylant is pretty much done. The only thing left is for Cooper to post the letter to Nintendo so we can tweak it.
And try to get a shoddy server with it for testing, plus the preevo and stuff like that.

Wow, I was going to ask that too. So you guys can put Syclant on Shoddy? That's news to me, cause I didn't participated in the first pools.

Sunday

Not the official server, obviously. If you'd lurked more, or read the first post this page you would know that Doug is optomistic that he can create a mod of Shoddy to include Syclant. He also said that Shoddy is made for mods such as these, and that there are already quite a few, so getting premission is no issue.

Well wasn't the original idea to have a potential "Smogon Server" which had Syclant and others added? If we keep making pokemon like Syclant, probably 10 of them will be interesting enough to see regular use in the OU metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)