CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 7, part 3

What will be the art design of our new pokemon?

• CyzirVisheen

Votes: 134 56.8%
  • just some chick

Votes: 102 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
that's pretty freakin' schweet! doesn't look as vicious as i thought it would, but i'm glad of that. and it absolutely looks like a pokemon...i could easily see that in-game. i like the second pose better than the first, but i do like both.

i'd put that on a team...

Well, I've been hacking away at it, and I must say, I could've done worse. I'm not too good with sprites, and I had to do a lot of the parts from scratch. Anyways, I'm currently working on the wings as we speak, but I thought that I'd give you guys a look at my progress...

And here's a second pose.

I am working on a 3rd model, one that's resembles the example pic on the first page, but I thought I'd share these for now. Oh, and when I have them all done, I'll do each of the male and female sprites with and without the icicle claws, to see which you guys prefer.
That's freakin' amazing. I, personally, think the arms should be slimmer, but it's your poke, so who am I to judge.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I don't really like the first pose. The second pose is imo much better since it's floating, and I like floaty stuff. Still awesome, though.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, I've been hacking away at it, and I must say, I could've done worse. I'm not too good with sprites, and I had to do a lot of the parts from scratch. Anyways, I'm currently working on the wings as we speak, but I thought that I'd give you guys a look at my progress...

And here's a second pose.

I am working on a 3rd model, one that's resembles the example pic on the first page, but I thought I'd share these for now. Oh, and when I have them all done, I'll do each of the male and female sprites with and without the icicle claws, to see which you guys prefer.

EDIT: Just saw DJD's sprite. Very good job, especially on the wings. They're a bitch :P
Both of those are fantastic! The arms are a little big, but the details are wonderful! After working on a sprite version of this, I can appreciate how hard it is to get all the little touches in. 80 pixels square is so little room. Good luck on the rest of it. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I took doug's outline a few pages back and recolored some of it scrathched it better claws and did a few other touch ups not as good as vishen's but I was never good a scratching

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I took doug's outline a few pages back and recolored some of it scrathched it better claws and did a few other touch ups not as good as vishen's but I was never good a scratching

That's an awesome oldschool RBY style sprite.

Cyzir made the damn thing from scratch so get the man a freaking break and you know who I'm referring to.
If he made the arms from scratch, but they still draw the conclusion that they were taken from Metang, then what's the difference from taking them directly from Metang? This pokemon deserves to look original.

I think that the main moves I can envision on this guy are

Ice Shard
Ice Beam
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Earthquake
X-Scissor
Attack/Heal/ Order
Blizzard
Night Slash

If we give it Earthquake, are we going to give it a way to learn Earth Power?
Let's remember, what type of poke are we going for? Right now, it looks like it will become a physical Azelf in its move selection. Azelf has great Attack and Special Attack stats, but its movepool is almost entirely special. This guy is going full physical, plus Blizzard/Ice Beam.

I see no reason why it can't have TBolt...Lapras gets it, Gyara gets it......why shouldn't this guy? And remember, even if we don't give him TBolt, everybody will go HP Elec anyway. A special sweeping set might have FB or Earth Power/Ice Beam/HP Elec/Bug Buzz

So lets keep in mind that it will get a boltbeam-esque combo, and that is certainly enough to take out Gyara. Also, GALLADE gets TBolt!

Guys the sprites that are being worked on look really great but...shading needs to be worked on IMO, for some reason they look too much like the GameBoy Color games. Other than coloring, great sprites.

Will it have pre-evo's, or will it just be like that?

If he made the arms from scratch, but they still draw the conclusion that they were taken from Metang, then what's the difference from taking them directly from Metang? This pokemon deserves to look original.
But it's arm already did look like Metang's arm, have you not noticed that when looking at the original picture. It just look like someone grab a buffer and buff them out for him. Either way you look at it it still have that Metang arm feel to it.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also, I understand the no Thunder/Thunderbolt/Charge Beam movement, but this thing is more likely to use Electricity than Lapras. Can we compromise with Zap Cannon and Thunder Punch? Zap Cannon only gets 65% accuracy under Compound Eyes, worse than Thunder without the ability. It's weaker than Thunder and if it misses, this guy is dead. I just can't see us not giving an Electric move to a design so capable of generating Electricity.

I don't see anyway this thing will be using Stone Edge, or any Fire moves for that matter. They are just the opposite of this Pokemon design. Earthquake on the other hand might work, but is it heavy enough to cause one?
I'm really not seeing how "this is a bug with icy wings" = "It can zap things with electricity!" Please enlighten me. If Ice types are so proficient at electric moves why Weavile doesn't even get Thunderpunch, Articuno isn't boltbeaming anything, Cloyster isn't launching thunderbolts either, despite its spiky carapace and horns theoretically being perfect for it.

Or maybe it's the bug part that is good at using electricity. Aside from the fact the only bugs that can are Volbeat and Illumise, whose designs are based on fireflies. They also have antenae which this clearly lacks.

In the cases of both Ice and Bug types, learning electric attacks is the exception, not the rule. Ice has Lapras, Regice, and Froslass, Bug has Volbeat and Illumise. And again, "hand cannons" is not blanket approval for electric moves. Forry probably uses Zap Cannon the way Starmie uses Thunderbolt, which is to spin itself around in the air quickly to generate electricity through friction. In the attached form I see this happening approximately never, and in the "floaty" form it's still a stretch.

Weight never stopped much from learning EQ. Granted most of the smaller users are actually rock or ground types. Infernape is actually a midget ar 3' 11" and 121 lbs. Sceptile is 5'7" and 115 lbs. Snubbull weighs 17 lbs (yes, Snubbull gets EQ). In contrast, Lapras weighs 485 lbs and it doesn't get EQ.

Hit4three said:
So lets keep in mind that it will get a boltbeam-esque combo, and that is certainly enough to take out Gyara. Also, GALLADE gets TBolt!
Or, more realistically, Ralts gets Tbolt. Gallade just happens to be a physically oriented offshoot for a primarily special pokemon. It's Gardevior with swapped base offensive stats. Moreover, being forced to use HP Electric is pretty much the idea behing not giving this Thunderbolt/Thunder. It might take out Gyara (yeah, hard target to kill with Elec there), but it won't take out Skarmory and won't chew up half of, lets say Arcanine's HP. Giving it Tbolt gives it room to free up Hidden Power for something else (Fighting perhaps for those who don't like Focus Blast's sketchy accuracy, or even Grass to deal with Swampy.)

Sunday

@ Gothic.
I realise that. The obvious solution is to pose the Pokemon in a position that no pokemon in the Metang line is posed in, so that the arms are viewed form a different angle and therefore no relation is drawn. How about.. oh, say, the position of the original sketch, with the arms fully extended?

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
K dudes, I'm gonna try my hand now because I have the spriting bug. :)

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I honestly don't think we should be taking how these moves can be performed literally. If Dugtrio can do Slash (lol), Machamp can do Flamethrower and Fire Blast ( O_o ), and Pikachu can Fly, there's really no reason we should be so strict with this fella. He's easily the most move friendly pokemon I've seen design-wise, but suggest some seemingly non-feasible moves isn't that bad.

Also, don't get me started on Smeargle... :>

EDIT: Also Cyzir, I love you for making so many reference sketches, they are making my job infinitely easier with the spriting.

I love this pose. I can see it zooming around like its on a unicyce.

Anyways, to Deck Knight, wierder things have happened. I don't want Thunderbolt or Thunder on this. But Zap Cannon and Shock Wave are both moves that fit this. Shock Wave is clearly static electricity, which this has a lot of.

also, are you apposed to Earthquake on this? Because Earthquake allows it to hit Rocks, Steels, and Fire types SE, 3 types which it is weak to. I would think that would be much more overpowering than giving it an Electric move.

Sunday

Agreeing wiht everything Hydra said.

Also, I can't see this thing causing an Earthquake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)