CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 7, part 3

What will be the art design of our new pokemon?

• CyzirVisheen

Votes: 134 56.8%
  • just some chick

Votes: 102 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
skater, I kind of know what you mean, but think about it. What Pokemon's sprite can play a good role for this guy's wings? Dialga's shoulder blades (??) seem good enough for the time being at least.
I know, I feel the same way its good, great, but I have a feeling it could be better, not saying that its bad, I mean its great. Its just I have a thought that it could be amazing, not that its isn't, uggg I can't explain it without being rude in some way =\.

Battle animations: male on top, female on bottom.
Maybe it starts with arms crossed and then uncrosses? (reverse the order...is what I mean)

Now, I wish to state that I could not do anything near as good as that before my next statement. Ever...its amazing...

Would it be at all possible to make the arms a bit thinner or maybe reduce them to 2 claws each instead of three? I keep looking at it and thinking it will be a Metang or Metagross forever...

@Cooper: Maybe we should take a couple designs for the sprite, like the one above, and vote on those too. Like 3 different options would be cool only one poll though. Just an idea.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
These sprites don't look anything like Cyzir's design. They are interesting designs in their own right, but we aren't evaluating new designs at this point.

Using fusions is a horrible way to try and come up with a sprite version of a completely original design. The end result is a kind of "Frankenstein's Monster" cobbled together from little pieces of other drawings. With no part being exactly right for the whole. Sure, you can look to other sprites for inspiration and color samples, but this sprite needs to be worked up from scratch.

And, BTW, 80x80 is a lot more room than you might think. Scaling down a full-size sketch is very little indication of what the sprite might look like. Yes, a simpler drawing is easier to sprite. But, that does not mean a more complex drawing can't be made into a sprite. I did a quick test in Paint on some of the complex parts of Cyzir's design, and it seemed very workable. I could be wrong, but my initial tests were encouraging.

How about we let Cyzir take a crack at the sprite and see if it's something workable? If not, let's have legitimate sprite artists do an original sprite rendering. Cyzir said he could do it in a day or two. Let's wait and see what he does with it.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I was about to bring up Doug's points but he beat me to the punch. Trying to base any original sprite with franks are lol.

Honestly, going full custom on this is the best way to go. Seeing how he posted pictures showing this beastie from almost every direction, you have all the references you need to go full scratch.

If that seems too difficult, then going back to fusions would be best for you. :/

I Also don't think the above sprites follow Cy's design much. I'll see what Cy can come up with, then try a crack at one myself if need be. :)

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
But you've got to admit, that fusion looks pretty close to Cyzir's.
To me, it looks like a fusion of Ariados' head, Metang's arms, and the blades from Dialga's ass. It's very creative, like many good fusions. But, I don't think it looks much like Cyzir's design at all.

If someone wants to go full custom, then be my guest. I'm sure it would look better than mine, but I've tried and cannot do sprite's from scratch. The above is the best I could do with it.

I think both sides of he argument have valid points. A Frankenstein monster isn't exactly appealing, but it is practical. On the other hand, making an original sprite would be awesome, but time-consuming and could potentially suck. I'll definitely make a poll out of this and put up all good options.

Next poll is for movepool. Someone suggested a negative vote, where you vote for what you don't want to see, which seemed like a good idea.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, but I can't stand that crappy, frankenstien sprite. With it's metang arms and other, stitched on bits.

I think both sides of he argument have valid points. A Frankenstein monster isn't exactly appealing, but it is practical. On the other hand, making an original sprite would be awesome, but time-consuming and could potentially suck. I'll definitely make a poll out of this and put up all good options.

Next poll is for movepool. Someone suggested a negative vote, where you vote for what you don't want to see, which seemed like a good idea.
How do we know what to start with?

Like I could randomly say "NO SPLASH!" or no Draco Meteor... Hm... Also, what if I vote no Hypnosis but yes Dark Void?

Yah, move pool is going to take a long time.

How do we know what to start with?

Like I could randomly say "NO SPLASH!" or no Draco Meteor... Hm... Also, what if I vote no Hypnosis but yes Dark Void?

Yah, move pool is going to take a long time.
It could be people suggesting sets, like the Base Stats, and people could say something like "Looks like it could use ...." which could be added, then the negative vote occurs.

Set example:
Lv. 1 Tackle
Lv. 5 Screech
Lv. 8 Icy Wind
Lv. 15 Bug Bite
etc...TM's, Egg Moves, all the rest.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Base Learnset:

1: Scratch
1: Leer
6: Powder Snow
10: Bug Bite
16: Ice Shard
23: Icy Wind
29: Slash
36: X-Scissor
47: Ice Beam
56: Bug Buzz
64: Blizzard

DougJustDoug

^I like that learnset as a strawman. It seems like it needs a few more non-STAB moves. Maybe replace a STAB move or two.

With those wings in Cyzir's drawing, it sure seems like Wing Attack fits --even though it isn't flying. The move description is "Strikes the foe with wings spread wide." Those icy wings look like they could do some damage. It would be the first non-flying character to get Wing Attack. But, Empoleon was the first non-flyer to get Drill Peck. My assumption is because it just makes so much sense based on Empoleon's design. With that logic, Wing Attack on our ice bug should fit.

Right now, with the exception of a couple of moves -- every move is made for battle. Nintendo learnsets rarely are so efficient. Maybe give it Scary Face, even though this bug is so fast, it would never need it. It DOES have a scary face, IMO. Also maybe give it Razor Wind, even though it's a totally worthless battle move. With all those sharp icy edges, Razor Wind seem appropos.

Just a few suggestions. But, I like Deck Knight's starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)