CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Syclant Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not with CoupoundEyes and Life Orb on something that will be forced to switch if you mispredict.
how does haveing tail glow help this? also my mixant set does NOT list compoundeyes as an option.

Hypothetical question.If say Syclant was broken,has anyone else notice that spread and type of the second create a pokemon basically neuter syclant?

If it isn't designed from the get-go to be an OU pokemon, then we are wasting our time. It takes many months to do the polls, lots of brain wracking and wrist sprains to make the concept art, unknown (I'm not a programmer myself) amounts of time writing it into shoddy, and several hundred test battles to see how it really performs (not to mention dozens of battles to test whether the custom ability works properly; we only discovered the baton pass problem last night). Imagine what it would be like to find out "meh, cacturne does it better."

Also, ScarfObama can really shock some Syclant users, and Eric was using it very effectively.

Mind you, if you are playing with Syclant AT LEAST 3 POKEMON ON YOUR TEAM MUST OUTSPEED IT / LEARN PRIORITY MOVE. I cannot stress this enough. It will rip slow teams to shreds.

If it isn't designed from the get-go to be an OU pokemon, then we are wasting our time. It takes many months to do the polls, lots of brain wracking and wrist sprains to make the concept art, unknown (I'm not a programmer myself) amounts of time writing it into shoddy, and several hundred test battles to see how it really performs (not to mention dozens of battles to test whether the custom ability works properly; we only discovered the baton pass/U-Turn problem last night). Imagine what it would be like to find out "meh, cacturne does it better."
fixed.

Anyways, I've been testing Trace, and there seems to be a few problems. Actually, let me re-phrase that, there are a lot of problems with Mountaineer in general today.

For starters, all I can get to work is the immunity to Stealth Rock. It gets hit by every other Rock attack. I have logs to prove this as well.

I was testing Trace by Skill Swapping Mountaineer and then switching in a Trace Gardevoir on a Rock attack form the Skill Swapper pokemon. Gardevoir got hurt from everything but Stealth Rock. I still have the log and I'm waiting for Doug to get back on to show it to him.

Then I just used it normally on Syclant and it hit, even though it showed the Stealth Rock immunity when coming in. As shown by this:
-----
SyclantTest switched in Syclant (lvl 100 Syclant ?).
Syclant is a Mountaineer and avoided the floating stones!
Grumpig used Power Gem.
It's super effective!
Syclant lost 104% of its health.
SyclantTest's Syclant fainted.
-----
On a side note, I also did Assist testing last night, and Assisting a Rock move did hit through. I tried Metronome, but the only time I got a Rock move was this morning, so I'm not sure if that was just because it doesn't seem to be working.

It looks like Mountaineer is only blocking the first rock type hit. Has anyone tried rock blast against it?
Unfortunatly not. We can't do anything until Dougy finds out what's wrong. However, I'm not sure if your theory is why. Here's another snippet from the same situation (without the Stealth Rocks down):

---
SyclantTest: gah
SyclantTest switched in Grumpig (lvl 100 Grumpig ?).
Alphabet_Soup switched in Syclant (lvl 100 Syclant ?).
Grumpig used Power Gem.
It's super effective!
Syclant lost 99% of its health.
---

And I'm 100% sure that was a Mountaineer. I've been using the same two Syclant the whole time.

A couple days ago I switched my Syclant into a Stone Edge from Marowak and that hit too. I figured I gave it the wrong ability, but when I checked, it had Mountaineer. I don't have the log though =/

That's happening because both players switched at the same time. That is normal and intended.

EDIT:(response to AlphabetSoup)
Oh, right. Maybe that was a bad example. I'll repeat the "experiment". I'll even have a witness.

This was the beginning of a no-rules battle (hence it doesn't show any rules at the beginning):

SyclantTest sent out Solrock (lvl 100 Solrock).
Alphabet_Soup sent out Solrock (lvl 100 Solrock).
Alphabet_Soup switched in Syclant (lvl 100 Syclant ♂).
Solrock used Rock Throw. It's super effective!
Syclant lost 127% of its health.
Alphabet_Soup's Syclant fainted.
----
Magmortified has entered the room.
Alphabet_Soup: you missed it
Alphabet_Soup: =/
Magmortified: Darn it.
Alphabet_Soup: let me do it over
Magmortified: I was battling.
Alphabet_Soup: it'll take like 1 turn
Alphabet_Soup switched in Solrock (lvl 100 Solrock).
SyclantTest switched in Syclant (lvl 100 Syclant ♂).
Solrock used Rock Throw.
Solrock's attack missed!
SyclantTest: gah
SyclantTest: darn 10% miss rate
EspeonUser.5 has entered the room.
SyclantTest switched in Solrock (lvl 100 Solrock).
Solrock used Rock Throw.
Solrock lost 30% of its health.
----
SyclantTest switched in Syclant (lvl 100 Syclant ♂).
Solrock used Rock Throw. It's super effective!
Syclant lost 134% of its health.
SyclantTest's Syclant fainted.
SyclantTest: there
SyclantTest: that's all the proof I need

EDIT- Gah, copy-pasted strangely. But that's what happened, I just tried to make it more readable (it might not be in normal format.....)

Have you guys tried to email this idea to nintedo? With all the development you guys put into it, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd be interested in using it/editing it into next gen.

Would a specific Create a Pokemon section in Stark Mountain be an option? Like RMT en Warstories. That way we can have all the CaP threads together, post the Syclant RMT's there and maybe even the art.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Cool, I was totally a witness!

Anyhow, yeah, I saw it happen. It's looking like Mountaineer isn't blocking Rock attacks when it switches in at the moment. Thank God it still has the SR immunity. Otherwise we'd all be using Compundeyes before the thing blows over. And that would be scary. I'll have nightmares about it. Anyhow, addition to this is confirmation of that U-Turn/Baton Pass glitch that lets Syclant get hit by Rock attacks when you BP/U-Turn it in. But since Syclant is getting hit by those anyways at the moment, it's a moot point. Doug said he'd get to work on fixing the U-Turn/Baton Pass glitch last night. I wonder if he knows that Syclant is getting hit with Rock attacks on regular switches.

Also, today I learned Moltres' proficiency at beating Syclant. Well, mine was heavily defensive, but it did beat Syclant. And by my calcs it can survive a LO Tail Glowed Ice Beam. And is resistant to almost everything else.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
deucalion2 said:
Also, ScarfObama can really shock some Syclant users, and Eric was using it very effectively.
was, i found out that max speed + nature syclant outspeeds it.
now i use Sash Obama, it only works once but it works.

X-Act has banned Syclant RMTs...

I want to protest...
what? what? when? why? how?
thats not fair.

Would a specific Create a Pokemon section in Stark Mountain be an option? Like RMT en Warstories. That way we can have all the CaP threads together, post the Syclant RMT's there and maybe even the art.
like the idea... doubt it will happen.

First off, too all that complain about Sylcant's power. If you're that worried it will sweep your team, which from experience I find it won't, use a Registeel.

Registeel resists Ice Beam and Bug Buzz and I believe is 3-4HKO'd by Brick Break. Mixant stands no chance.

Swords Ant might not even have Brick Break and even with a Swords Dance, is probably a 2HKO. You can kill it then or cripple it with T-Wave.

SpecsAnt HAS to predict you coming in and use Super Power/Focus Blast. Earth Power doesn't have enough kill power to kill it before Registeel kills Sylcant.

Registeel gets T-Wave to cripple if for some reason it can't kill, can setup Stealth Rock too make switching in a non-Mountaineer Sylcant a chore and Fire Punch to prey upon it's 4x weakness and easily kill w/ Stealth Rock or Spikes.

Secondly, I agree with Screwed On Head for the most part. Both Sylcant and the soon to be created pokemon seem to be more metagame-based then actual pokemon based. Still, I doubt Nintendo would make any pokemon sent to them offical anyway, so it's a moot point.

Thirdly, I do not find Sylcant overpowered. I have, however, had great fun with Focus Sash CounterAnt, even if it rarely works. Roost is also suprisingly fun.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
!-Warning, very long post. Warning-!
<snip>
I personally agree with you on many of your points. However, most of these are basic thematic and general character design arguments. All of these arguments have already been presented by other people during the design process. While I agree with some of your arguments, this pokemon is the result of a voting process. That process is over. Were are not redesigning Syclant. We are playtesting Syclant to ensure competitive viability. The only changes made, if any, would be based on that reasoning.

As for the negative reaction to your post -- Please realize that Syclant was designed over a long period of time, and many people here have developed a strong sense of ownership of various facets of the design. For you to come in after the fact and point out flaws (however valid or invalid they may be) will likely cause a very defensive reaction. If you want to comment on issues of competitive balance, that is certainly welcome. That is the point of this phase of Syclant's development. But bringing up past design decisions and rehashing them is unproductive and will likely spark negative reactions, as you have seen.

If you really don't like certain decisions, I encourage you to participate in the current (not past) Create-A-Pokemon polls and begin voicing your opinions there. It is an interesting community process and everyone has a voice and vote.

Actually, let me re-phrase that, there are a lot of problems with Mountaineer in general today.
Thanks for all the dedicated testing you did on this. Something is very wrong in the current Mountaineer code. I'll keep digging tomorrow and see what I can find. I suspect a server restart will make many problems go away temporarily. I don't want to do that yet. I'd like to find the root problem and fix it. I'll keep you posted.

Good to see you participating on the project. After watching your testing, I can tell you know quite a bit about the game. I hope you stick around and pitch in on other Create-A-Pokemon projects.

It looks like Mountaineer is only blocking the first rock type hit. Has anyone tried rock blast against it?
Same welcome to you chronostrike. I'm glad to see you over here on Smogon, not just on the playtesting server.

As for testing, the server traffic continues its upward march. Over 1200 battles yesterday. Our server traffic is an order of magnitude larger than any other mod server. We are the most widely used Shoddy server, other than Official, of course. I really don't know why. It's just one new pokemon. The other servers are just as good for non-Syclant battles, which seems to be most battles. I'm scratching my head as to why this flood of users keeps coming. But, I guess the more the merrier, right?

I'm curious, does Mountaineer protect against sandstorm damage/is it intended to? Sandstorm is a rock attack, but it's obviously a unique situation to be considered. I'm personally of the opinion that Mountaineer should block the first turn of Sandstorm damage, however programming it would be pretty complicated.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
First off, too all that complain about Sylcant's power. If you're that worried it will sweep your team, which from experience I find it won't, use a Registeel.

Registeel resists Ice Beam and Bug Buzz and I believe is 3-4HKO'd by Brick Break. Mixant stands no chance.

Swords Ant might not even have Brick Break and even with a Swords Dance, is probably a 2HKO. You can kill it then or cripple it with T-Wave.

SpecsAnt HAS to predict you coming in and use Super Power/Focus Blast. Earth Power doesn't have enough kill power to kill it before Registeel kills Sylcant.

Registeel gets T-Wave to cripple if for some reason it can't kill, can setup Stealth Rock too make switching in a non-Mountaineer Sylcant a chore and Fire Punch to prey upon it's 4x weakness and easily kill w/ Stealth Rock or Spikes.
registeel is destroyed by Tail Glow ant, that posses focus blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)