CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Syclant Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What Luck is saying is that people shouldn't care about how a movepool is created. They should only care about that a movepool contains all the attacking moves under the skies, and not useless moves such as Sand-attack, Splash, Tackle, or Bug Bite. The problem is: NO POKEMON IS LIKE THAT. Not even Gengar, which people say has a huge movepool. Look at its level-up and egg moves; most of them suck.

Now, if with your post, you're saying "I don't give a fuck about how the other Pokemon's movepools are", that's where I don't agree with you. What we've created (and creating) are POKEMON. Since they are Pokemon, they need to conform with the already-existing Pokemon in everything. We SHOULD care about how the already-existing Pokemon's movepools are. Search as hard as you like, and you will never find a Pokemon having more than 6 viable moves altogether in the level-up and egg moves lists.

But maybe your argument is "But we didn't know this when we created Syclant, and we voted for those moves". First of all, now we know about them. And secondly, Syclant was the first Pokemon that was created, which means that people were basically in the dark when voting for particular moves. This further implies that we can now look at Syclant and decide for ourselves whether the voting produced what we wanted or not.

Anyway, I just wanted to put things in perspective. In my opinion, Syclant's egg move list (and its level-up list, too, to an extent, even though I didn't complain about it) is ridiculous. Not even Mew learns the amount of attacking moves Syclant learns, (and Mew learns EVERY TM) and that insults my intelligence, basically.

What Luck is saying is that people shouldn't care about how a movepool is created. They should only care about that a movepool contains all the attacking moves under the skies, and not useless moves such as Sand-attack, Splash, Tackle, or Bug Bite. The problem is: NO POKEMON IS LIKE THAT. Not even Gengar, which people say has a huge movepool. Look at its level-up and egg moves; most of them suck.

Now, if with your post, you're saying "I don't give a fuck about how the other Pokemon's movepools are", that's where I don't agree with you. What we've created (and creating) are POKEMON. Since they are Pokemon, they need to conform with the already-existing Pokemon in everything. We SHOULD care about how the already-existing Pokemon's movepools are. Search as hard as you like, and you will never find a Pokemon having more than 6 viable moves altogether in the level-up and egg moves lists.

But maybe your argument is "But we didn't know this when we created Syclant, and we voted for those moves". First of all, now we know about them. And secondly, Syclant was the first Pokemon that was created, which means that people were basically in the dark when voting for particular moves. This further implies that we can now look at Syclant and decide for ourselves whether the voting produced what we wanted or not.

Anyway, I just wanted to put things in perspective. In my opinion, Syclant's egg move list (and its level-up list, too, to an extent, even though I didn't complain about it) is ridiculous. Not even Mew learns the amount of attacking moves Syclant learns, (and Mew learns EVERY TM) and that insults my intelligence, basically.
I agree with you that syclant movepool "Looks like people squeezed every good move they could fit on it" but it was voted that way unless those moves mess up the balance of the pokemon game their is no need to fix what does not hurt anything.If syclant can't actually use them what is point of taking them off when it was voted for that way.

They are exceptions to rule all time ditto,smeragle,wobuffett,mew movepools are not like others so i can't why breaking norm is earth shattering.

I am strongly against making change after the fact unless it is having some large impact.Change movepool for aesthetic reasons is not a good reason to change things.I agree with movepool is overkill but there is no "Real" need change it.The change suggested would make the poke a complete different poke than what people voted on which is a bad move.Small tweaks for balance should be the goal.

X-Act i am happy you are part process and your impact on project should lead more realistic movepools and that in turn should lead to better balance poke but I take the voting part very serious and change(big change) should be last resort.

I do agree movepool should be revised if Syclant was

a.Unbalanced
b.Not filling its in intend role

Syclant is so far is doing what people wanted it do.One small change The"Tail Glow Issue" has been mention quite a bit but other than people seem perfect fine with it.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What (I think) X-Act wanted to do with the Lv up movepool was not to remove, but to reorganize.
From what I understand he does want to change the egg movepool a bit, but so long as it is agreed and voted on i do not see any problems with this.

Any changes WILL be voted on before being finalised.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't want to change Syclant either.

I think eric put it better than anyone else. He said that Air Slash, Crunch, Counter and Spikes are quite rare. That means that if they (or three of them) are removed, Syclant would barely be affected at all, the movepool would conform to how it usually is and everyone would be happy. I don't want to change how Syclant plays if possible.

I will put this way,The focus should be more if tail glow or some other move making syclant imbalance ,than it has too many attacking moves and does not fit ideal pokemon movepool.Leaving it as is makes what people wanted.As long it is what general consensus(in a vote) wants a i am fine with what happens but a change to fit a ideal movepool when is unnecessary when they are pokes with weird movepools.Either way (change or no change)is fine for me but we should always hesitate to change something that was voted on if their is no real need too.

Luck.... we were listing all competitively viable Egg Moves willynilly. We wanted Syclant to have the option to do everything. We now know this is wrong, and a majority of people did not care about the Egg Moves outside of Earth Power, SuperPower, and Tail Glow. Go read the old thread if you want to see how haphazardly we made this.

Luck.... we were listing all competitively viable Egg Moves willynilly. We wanted Syclant to have the option to do everything. We now know this is wrong, and a majority of people did not care about the Egg Moves outside of Earth Power, SuperPower, and Tail Glow. Go read the old thread if you want to see how haphazardly we made this.

One half me agrees and half me is defending the process of making these pokes and the small harmless flaw are part of dna of syclant but i guess i have to view this as alpha or beta testing not as a final product backtract thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)