Smogon's Official Ladder Tournament II - Playoffs Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my attempt at scheduling (and pointing out a coincidence) was deleted, I will reiterate that I wish to attempt to play with teso24 wednesday night (sometime after 10 PM my time) because I can't think of any time with less conflicts.

Also that last post was like 90% sarcastic (I did not think my opponent missed the time on purpose, although he certainly did decide to initially attempt to delay our game by an extra 30 minutes before he eated his food fast). Playing right now is not possible for me (posting =/= good time to play)
Ok Wednesday night then

I recommend you guys don't play because jirachee said he'd kick your ass and that's something you really want to happen to you because he is so goddamn hot that it'd leave christian grey himself begging to be a submissive. pm me for details about one of the many times the hunky canadian bw superstar smacked my ass and called me judy

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I understand that people want to see games, but you can't really knock the guy for pursuing the activity win, given that he has a fair claim for one (the opponent missed the scheduled time, regardless or activity levels during the rest of the week). This is a tournament that I assume FV (like most people) busted his ass for attempting to qualify, and he's simply trying to maximize his chances of proceeding to the next round and thus prolonging his time in the tournament. Sure, it may not be in the spirit of the game, but given that people in this community tend to value winning so highly, why play and potentially lose when you deserve a guaranteed (in your opinion) activity win?

Not condoning the novels this man wrote though, lol

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I understand that people want to see games, but you can't really knock the guy for pursuing the activity win, given that he has a fair claim for one (the opponent missed the scheduled time, regardless or activity levels during the rest of the week). This is a tournament that I assume FV (like most people) busted his ass for attempting to qualify, and he's simply trying to maximize his chances of proceeding to the next round and thus prolonging his time in the tournament. Sure, it may not be in the spirit of the game, but given that people in this community tend to value winning so highly, why play and potentially lose when you deserve a guaranteed (in your opinion) activity win?

Cause he went about it like a jackass.

Different story.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner

I wanna reply on the bolded part, even if it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

There is physically nothing to win on this website. You only play for pride, fun, glory, whatever you wanna call it but nothing you can achieve or demonstrate through activity wins. If money was on the line, I could understand but it's not the case.

I understand FV defending his case as if the games don't get completed, he doesn't want his fate to be decided on a coinflip. However, there are still two open days left, and if need be, we can work something out too.

We can see when people are going for the activity win and we'll never encourage that over playing the actual game.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Eh, although a lot of people here share your sentiments (myself included, as I'd like to believe), I feel that it's a tad naive to assume that everyone does. Even though there is physically nothing to win we all strive for some sort of recognition or result that, to us, justifies the amount of time we spend on this site, playing this game. So some people play purely for fun, which I consider the "optimal" perspective on the game, but most play for results (there is nothing wrong with this as long as rules aren't broken; we play a competitive game after all) and therefore will typically do what puts them in the best possible position to get said results (whether it be stuff like pursuing activity wins and CTing, or even drastic stuff like ghosting and/or eating a hot a$$ burrito, making alt accounts to try to win official tours, or realizing your mom turned off your router (he wrote passive-aggressively, while wearing his drop a draco shirt))

Regarding the activity win not achieving anything, I mean, of course it doesn't achieve anything by itself. However, a single act. win could mean the difference between a deep run or a R1 loss. Sure, people won't swoon over a R1 activity win, but it guarantees a path for the player to proceed and potentially post some results against the next round of (and usually better) players. If FV gets the act. win and somehow wins every single match from then on, people aren't going to look at his black trophy and immediately think of the activity win he got R1 bailing him out. A hypothetical situation - say Double01 beats me in an early round of a tournament, and then I extort a loophole to get a rematch and go on to win the tournament. It's not in the spirit of the game, but because of this chance I was given I was able to make the most of my opportunities in the tournament. I mean, there are skeptics, but I still get the recognition for winning the thing. Taking advantage of an opponent's blunder to maximize your opportunities - isn't that a similar situation to what's going on here?

I realize it's petty for me go keep going on about this tiny thing, 1 act. win, but to a newer player trying to compile together some results and make a name for himself, 1 extra win could potentially go a long way; carpe diem type ish, y'know

e: my phrasing makes it look like i actually own a drop a draco shirt; since my reputation on this forum means a lot to me i can assure you that i am instead committed to the heatah fajita corporation

Last edited:
I can clearly see now that requesting an activity win when my opponent screws up is never gonna get me anywhere, cuz obviously, people want to see games. I'd much rather play (and hopefully win), but people it seems like even people i've been friends with for so long can't understand how my opponent's screwup and then disrespect for the scheduled time (by initially saying that he would play 30 minutes after I waited for 45 minutes after I clearly stated that I wished to play him right then) was downright rude and, and in consequence, it has fucked with my schedule. Also congrats to those who read my 300 page hard-bound novel-that-took-10-minutes-to-write and called it so rather than an essay, and to those who didn't read it either.

I argued for the activity win because it was only fair; teso screwed up and then tried to act chill about it and basically rubbed me off when I told him to play me then. If you're gonna be late to a game and then ask to delay it for 30 more minutes after coming online, you're basically asking for an activity loss.

As I expected, I have come out in a negative light because of this. My schedule 1 month prior is not the same as what it is now, and when I claim to be busy I legitimately am, i'm not trying to be an ass and force activity (my prior knowledge from OLT 1 Round 1 tells me that even if my opponent disappears off the face of the earth (and that was the first time in a tour so i didn't really understand activity claims etc, but i still posted about it in the thread), the game will be extended or coin flipped).

I understand FV defending his case as if the games don't get completed, he doesn't want his fate to be decided on a coinflip. However, there are still two open days left, and if need be, we can work something out too.
Basically my motivation, other than the fact that I think its screwed up that my opponent can miss a scheduled time and act poorly about it without any consequence, while I am suffering in this situation. I scheduled for monday rather than the weekend, my usual playing time, because I actually had pretty much 0 time this weekend to play any mons, and not for another weekday because I had a significant number of things to do on most of those days. I have no other choice but to compromise in this situation (and also take a hit to my reputation because most people can't sympathize with legitimate activity claims?), so yeah i'm hoping I can manage everything on Wednesday.

Way back when I used to compete in Halo, Scheduling was everything. If you were late on GB, you lost the match, no excuses. If we were at an event, and showed up 10 mins late to the match, we forfeit game 1. I get that there is no physical prize but some people on this website value that trophy as a form of winnings.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I don't get how someone can call for activity when they only gave their opp one slot in which they could play and said I'm busy the rest of the time? I like your teams and watching you play FV but that's kinda ridic lol, even if Teso did mess up on his end.

As I expected, I have come out in a negative light because of this. My schedule 1 month prior is not the same as what it is now, and when I claim to be busy I legitimately am, i'm not trying to be an ass and force activity (my prior knowledge from OLT 1 Round 1 tells me that even if my opponent disappears off the face of the earth (and that was the first time in a tour so i didn't really understand activity claims etc, but i still posted about it in the thread), the game will be extended or coin flipped).
you've come out in a negative light because to an outsider it looks like you think your time is more important than everyone else's on this website. there are ibankers who work 80 hour weeks and played in smogon tour (at least one, anyway) and you're telling us in ~2000 words total that you don't have the time to reschedule your games? yeah, teso24 fucked up and cost you 45 minutes of your time. that's neither the first nor the last time someone has johned someone else in a tournament on smogon, but to my knowledge it IS the first time someone wrote half of an IB extended essay in response

you've come out in a negative light because to an outsider it looks like you think your time is more important than everyone else's on this website. there are ibankers who work 80 hour weeks and played in smogon tour (at least one, anyway) and you're telling us in ~2000 words total that you don't have the time to reschedule your games? yeah, teso24 fucked up and cost you 45 minutes of your time. that's neither the first nor the last time someone has johned someone else in a tournament on smogon, but to my knowledge it IS the first time someone wrote half of an IB extended essay in response
If my schedule was more flexible, which it is not at the current time, it wouldn't have been such a problem. I need to at least get my bases covered and not get completely screwed over by some coinflip in the situation that I am not able to complete the games because he missed the scheduled time. I don't really understand why the majority of people are too lazy or don't care to read a longer response/comment either, it doesn't take much time to read or write one. I'm sure there are other people busier than I who are able to dedicate more time to pokemon due to somewhat greater flexibility (or just sacrificing sleep or other activities), but I currently have a pretty inflexible schedule. Regardless, I am making an effort to play on wednesday now and I fully apologize for arguing my side more than what may have been expected or accepted without negative consequences.

bro gotta get those high school projects done lol

If my schedule was more flexible, which it is not at the current time, it wouldn't have been such a problem. I need to at least get my bases covered and not get completely screwed over by some coinflip in the situation that I am not able to complete the games because he missed the scheduled time. I don't really understand why the majority of people are too lazy or don't care to read a longer response/comment either, it doesn't take much time to read or write one. I'm sure there are other people busier than I who are able to dedicate more time to pokemon due to somewhat greater flexibility (or just sacrificing sleep or other activities), but I currently have a pretty inflexible schedule. Regardless, I am making an effort to play on wednesday now and I fully apologize for arguing my side more than what may have been expected or accepted without negative consequences.
the reason people don't feel obligated to read your 5 paragraph essays complete with compositional risk is that they have no obligation to read it. none of the other 31 players in this tournament are having the same trouble you have. do you really think you're so much busier than the other 31 players that everyone needs to read your ever-useless rational on why you can't play but everyone else can? do you actually think that, as a high schooler, you're more busy than every other person in this tournament?

BTW, waiting 43 minutes doesn't really prove that much, seeing as if you only had that much time to play, you may not have been able to complete the entire bo3. then you would have had to schedule AGAIN with your packed schedule!

Last edited:
I've readed a lot of post of FV saying the thing is that i didn't played at the moment: Why I didn't played? because I got online when I arrived home, and my mom asked me go eat(Do you guys had mom before? i know some moms are patient etc but not mine xD if i had played with him in that exact moment i wouldn't be able to complete the match because she should turn off the wifi) so was my bad to not play at that exact moment but was justified. I expect to play on wednesday with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)