Smogon's Semi-Official IRC Channels

jrp

Banned deucer.
Descriptions done by Birkal, jonathanrp and jumpluff.

There are many IRC channels affiliated with Smogon that are considered to be "semi-official". While they aren't considered to be on the same level as #pokemon, they are used for discussion. These include the channels for the tiers, teambuilding channels, the Grammar-Prose team, general Pokemon discussion, the mentorship program, and internal policy. This article will serve as a list of the channels, as well as the ranked members of the channels.

#cap is the main channel to discuss all things pertaining to the
Create-A-Pokemon Project. You can expect lively discussion on the inner mechanics of Pokemon here, from how to create a legitimate movepool to writing realistic Pokedex entries.
Founder
dougjustdoug

SOPs
Birkal
Deck_Knight
capefeather
jas61292
tennisace

AOPs
elevator_music
Theorymon
Wyverii

HOPs
DHR
Korski
paintseagull
reachzero
SgtWoodsy

VOPs

bmelts
DetroitLolcat
Forte
Kadew
Mos_Quitoxe
Quanyails
v
Yilx
Zarel

#c&c is a fantastic place to go if you're looking for some in-depth discussion on competitive Pokemon. All of the Contributions & Corrections greats meet here to discuss optimal sets and share their opinions on their respective metagames.
Founder
Great Sage

SOPs

Alaka
aldaron
blue
chaos
Fatecrashers
ibojangles
Iconic
Jibaku
Macle
Nexus
Oglemi
SevenDeadlySins
Solace
tennisace
Theorymon
v
Zeb

AOPs

AccidentalGreed
Aerrow
ChouToshio
DittoCrow
elevator_music
kokoloko
little_gk
PKGaming
Raseri
Tobes

HOPs

Andrew
Biosci
brii
Charmander
comatt6
davidstone
Ditto
Dubs
Eo
ginganinja
Harsha
Honko
iss
Jellicent
jumpluff
Kevin_Garrett
Molk
NatGeo
NixHex
Pocket
RBG
ShakeItUp
shrang
SilentVerse
supermarth64
upstart
v0x
yee

VOPs

alexwolf
capefeather
Djangoo
DJXO9
dodrio
Everstone
firemage
Furai
Lamppost
lavos
Shnen
steamroll
Texas
Yondie

Zarator

#doubles is the official channel for the Doubles metagame. If you are interested in playing Doubles, hop on and get to know the rest of the players. The users are all an eager bunch that will answer your questions, accept your doubles challenges, and help you get more involved in this underrated metagame and our community! The channel consists of new and veteran doubles players alike, so you'll fit in whatever point you are at in your Doubles training!
Founder
Pocket

SOPs
NixHex

AOPs

DTC
Solace
TheMantyke
voodoo_pimp

HOPs
Birkal
Pwnemon

VOPs
Arcticblast
Audiosurfer
doughboy
EspyOwner
Exeggutor
Joim
Level-51
NyttyN
PenguinX
StarmanXL

#genvuu is where all discussion of Smogon's Underused tier takes place. The highly competitive UU scene gathers quite a crowd in this channel. Make sure to frequent here if you have aspirations for getting better at the tier; you'll get to hear plenty of detailed thoughts on strategies and playsets.
FOUNDER
kokoloko

SOPs
JabbaTheGriffin
RT

AOPs
DestinyUnknown
kd24
PKGaming
reachzero

HOPs
Ace_Emerald
fatty
locopoke
McMeghan
upstart

VOPs
cim
DittoCrow
DTC
Huntofthelion
Metric
Zeb

#grammar is where members of Smogon's GP team hang out. The GP team is very helpful and knowledgeable, and if you're interested in discussion about grammar or need assistance with writing, they'll be happy to oblige. If you're writing an analysis and need a quick GP check, this is the place to go.
Founder
Fatecrashers
ibojangles

SOPs
Fatecrashers
GreatSage
Jellicent
Noelle
Oglemi
tennisace

AOPs
Andrew
Cerulean
chaos
ChouToshio
comatt6
complete_legitimacy
DittoCrow
Engineer
Eraddd
GatoDelFuego
Harsha
Honko
jumpluff
Mikel
NixHex
py
Redew
Ritter
sandshrewz
ShakeItUp
Shamethat
sirndpt
SuperJOCKE
Tobes
user
v0x
Woodchuck
Yonko7

HOPs
aldaron
Birkal
blue
Charmander
elevator_music
Furai
Iconic
Macle
NatGeo
Nexus
PKGaming
Raseri
Solace
Texas
TheMantyke
v
Zeb
molk

VOPs
Ala
alexwolf
Aurora
az
Biosci
CherubAgent
DoomVM
dragonboy52
elcheeso
Hugendugen
Keiran
Limi
pokemon0078
prem
pstats
Shii
Shnen
SilentVerse
steamroll
Stone_Cold22
Symphonyx64
Vaz

#insidescoop is the channel where Smogon's badged community members gather to discuss Smogon policy and rules. You will not be able to chat in this channel if you do not have a badge, but you are more than welcome to view the conversation in silence. Check out this channel if you're curious as to how our staff operates.
Founder
bojangles

SOPs
blue
chaos
DougJustDoug
GreatSage
Haunter
ibojangles
Jumpman
Mekkah
mingot
Misty

AOPs
Alaka
aldaron
Antar
Birkal
Cathy
Earthworm
Fatecrashers
Iconic
Jellicent
jumpluff
Kevin_Garrett
Kit
Oglemi
RBG
Solace
tennisace
v
WildEep
Zarel
Zeb

VOPs
Ace_Emerald
Aerrow
Ala
alexwolf
alkinesthetase
am
Andrew
Aqualouis
Arcticblast
august
az
billymills
Biosci
BKC
blarajan
bmelts
Broolucks
Calm_Pokemaster
capefeather
cassie
CATAMATO
Cerulean
Charmander
Charzaro
CherubAgent
chiizu
ChouToshio
Ciele
comatt
complete_legitimacy
cookie
Crux
Cybertron
Danilo
davidstone
Deck_Knight
Delko
Delta
DestinyUnknown
Ditto
Djangoo
dodrio
DoomVM
Dozz
Dracoyoshi
DTC
Dubs
Eiganjo
elevator_music
Engineer
Eo
Eraddd
evan
Everstone
Exeggutor
ExpertEvan
Firestorm
Forte
Frizy
Furai
GEC
gene
ginganinja
Ginku
Gmax|afk
Harsha
Heist
Hozu
Hugendugen
Huy
ifm
Imanalt
iss
JabbaTheGriffin
jas61292
Jayde
Jimbo
Jio
Jirachee
Joel
Joim
jonathanrp
JRank
Justin
kd
Keiran
kokoloko
Lady_bug
Lamppost
Layell
Limi
Limitless
little_gk
LizardMan
LonelyNess
looke
Lovestoned
Macle
Marty
Max
McMeghan
MDragon
MikeDecIsHere
Mikel
MJB
Molk
mw
Nachos
Nails
NatGeo
negres
Nexus
NixHex
Noelle
Novaray
Ojama
panamaxis
paul
PDC_
PenguinX
Philip
PKGaming
pokemon0078
prem
py
Raseri
Ray
reachzero
Redew
Relados
religiousjedi
ReVeRb
Ritter
Rodan
sandshrewz
Sarenji
Sayonara
SevenDeadlySins
ShakeItUp
Shii
Shnen
SilentVerse
sirndpt
skarm
Slashmolder
Smith_
steamroll
Stone_Cold
SuperJOCKE
SuperMarioBro
supermarth
Symphonyx
Synre
Syrim
Tab
Taylor
Texas
TFC
TheImmortal
TheMantyke
Theorymon
The_Chaser
ToastPlusOne
Tobes
ToF
Toothache
TTS
undisputed
user
V
verbatim
Vinc
vx
WaterBomb
windsong
Woodchuck
yee

#littlecup is the central location for all things related to the Little Cup metagame hosted here on Smogon. All users who have mastered the art of using adorable Pokemon in competitive battle gather in this channel to discuss common threats, underrated movesets, and anything related to Little Cup. They're also a friendly group and would love to have you chat with them!
FOUNDER
v

SOPs
Aerrow
blarajan
Dubs
elevator_music
little_gk
Macle
SevenDeadlySins

AOPs
blue
Charmander
Dracoyoshi8
Hawkstar
iss
prem
Raseri

HOPs
askaninjask
Chieliee
comatt6
Danilo
Eo
Furai
ibojangles
tennisace
Woodchuck

VOPs
Apt-Get
Birkal
capefeather
DTC
Fatecrashers
Haunter
ifm
ium
kokoloko
Lamppost
MarceloDK
McMeghan
Mikel
Oglemi
PKGaming
PoJ
pstats
py
SkyNet
Solace
Tobes
Upd
Zeb

#mentor is the best place to start for someone new to Smogon. All of the @-ranked users in this channel are affiliated with Smogon's Mentorship program. Any of the members in the channel would be glad to help you out with getting accustomed to the site. If you're nervous about jumping into the competitive scene or just want to learn about any unfamiliar area of Smogon, then this is the channel for you!
Founder
Birkal

SOPs
GreatSage
Solace
Zeb

AOPs
Ace_Emerald
alkinesthetase
Andrew
Arcticblast
blue
CherubAgent
DittoCrow
doughboy
dragonuser
DTC
Ginku
Harsha
Hugendugen
Huntofthelion
ibojangles
Iconic
ium
Jellicent
Jirachee
Joeyboy
Joim
jumpluff
McMeghan
Mikel
Nexus
NixHex
Novaray
Philip
Pirates_vs_Ninjas
pokemon0078
Raseri
Redew
sandshrewz
steamroll
Superpowerdude
ToastPlusOne
v
WildEep
Yonko
zfs

HOPs
SuperJOCKE

VOPs
joshe
Oglemi
verbatim
Zracknel

#neverused is the best place to go if you're looking for in-depth conversation of Smogon's Neverused metagame. This diverse metagame features some intense competition and all of its regulars fight with pride and creativity. Check out this channel if you're interested in one of Smogon's most innovative tiers, which has created both an enjoyable metagame and a lively forum culture.
FOUNDER
zeb

SOPs
Djangoo
DTC
Oglemi
FLCL
Raseri
tennisace

AOPs
Annoyer
cbb
EBeast
ium
MMF
Shnen
Steamroll
sweetjesus
vinic

HOPs
aldaron
CherubAgent
FireMage
Ginku
Keiran
Molk
skylight
WhiteDMist

VOPs
AgentDell
Birkal
blarajan
breh
Brostime
Chieliee
citro
DestinyUnknown
DoomVM
Dracoyoshi8
drakon136
entwistle
Furai
GEC
GTS
Heist
Honus
Jayde
Limi
little_gk
McMeghan
MikeDecIsHere
novaray
TheWolf
VintageBooks
wiitle
Yonko7

#orangeislands is one of the most relaxed channels you can find in all of Smogon University. *Here, many of our casual players gather to discuss in-game experiences and events. *From battling Bug Catcher Wade in Pokemon Silver to watching Pokemon movies as a group, this channel is all about enjoying the culture of Pokemon. *It's a great place to take a break from the fast-paced competitive environment that Smogon is known for.
FOUNDER
Birkal

SOPs*
Cerulean
Fatecrashers
Jellicent
MarioWithLasers
Mekkah
Solace

AOPs
Birkal
GreatSage
ibojangles
JabbaTheGriffin
jumpluff
Layell
RBG
Texas
v
WildEep
Zeb

HOPs
Deinosaur
Dracoyoshi
DTC
IAR
Level-51
pstats
Raseri
Ritter
Rodan
SuperJOCKE

VOPs
alkinesthetase
atsync
BiGGiE
billymills
Biosci
breh
Carl
DHR
DoomVM
feathers
featherss
Garud
GeneralSpoon
ginganinja
Hulavuta
jas61292
Jibaku
Kadew
Keiran
Macle
NixHex
PoJ
Poppy
Redew
TalkingLion
TGMDoom
Tobes
V

#othermetas is the place to go if you're itching for something completely new and inventive. As the birth child of Smogon's Other Metagames forum, this channel is for discussing the delightful potpourri of newly-invented metagames that Smogon users create. Here, you can discuss metagames including Balanced Hackmons, 6-Move Battling, Middle Cup, and a host of other metagames.
FOUNDER
DTC

SOPs
Arcticblast
Birkal

AOPs
verbatim

HOPs
Keiran
NixHex
Pocket
Raseri
Relados

VOPs
EBeast
Molk
PDC_
pstats
Theorymon
zfs

#rarelyused is the most relevant channel for discussing Smogon's RarelyUsed metagame. Christened as the "perpetual middle child" of Smogon's metagames, RU has an incredible amount of diversity to play with in its tier. It has a unique flavor for a metagame and all of the RU regulars are as intellectually intimidating as they are helpful and friendly. This is definitely the channel to check out if you're interested in a metagame experience that differs from the norm, in a good way.
Founder
Oglemi

SOPs
DittoCrow
Jellicent
Molk
Nails
Texas Cloverleaf

AOPs
august
blarajan
complete_legitimacy
Honko
Limitless
ShakeItUp
SilentVerse

HOPs
CherubAgent
Double01
HotNCold
Level-51
Shnen
Yonko7

VOPs
BKC
ChanStat
Ciele
DTC
EBeast
Harsha
Honus
JabbaTheGriffin
kokoloko
NewBreed
Novaray
Pocket
SuperJOCKE
Tanner
Zeb

#ratemyteam is the best place to go if you're eager to discuss all things relating to Smogon's Rate My Team activities. If you're looking for some specific feedback on how you are doing as a team rater, you will certainly receive some meaningful feedback here. This channel features some intellectual discussion on topics such as teambuilding, team synergy, and team goals, among others.
Founder
Haunter

SOPs
blue
Delko
Tab

AOPs
aldaron
BKC
Harsha
Jibaku
Jirachee
RBG
Zeb

HOPs
AB2
Aerrow
august
DestinyUnknown
dragonuser
eranu
Funkasaurus
Furai
Gimmick
Heist
Honus
Iconic
Jimbon
Joeyboy
Nachos
Novaray
oAsek
PDC_
PenguinX
Pirates_vs_Ninjas
Pocket
Poppy
San_Pellegrino
Sayonara
ShakeItUp
SkyNet
Smith_
Superpowerdude
Taylor
TGMDoom
TheMantyke
TheWolf
thomas8808
ToF
Tomahawk
undisputed

VOPs
Ala
brii
DTC
electrolyte
Eo
ficcion
ganj4lF
GEC
ium
Jayde
Leftiez
Raseri
Silvershadow234
Stone_Cold22
yee
Yonko7

#ruinsofalph is the hallowed grounds for discussing our past metagames, which are all hosted in the Ruins of Alph. Don't assume that these metagames have dulled over the years; competition is still intense and focused in these metagames. From old school RBY to the highly acclaimed DPP OU/UU metagames, you're in for a blast from the past if you check out this channel.
FOUNDER
hipmonlee

SOPs
Jellicent
Mekkah

AOPs
Earthworm
Fatecrashers
gene
jumpluff
Kevin_Garrett
Oglemi
Zeb

HOPs

BKC
MDragon
sandshrewz

VOPs
Danilo
DoomVM
Fpy
Joim
NixHex
Ojama
Pocket

#smeargle is the cultured art chat of Smogon; all of our great artists meet here. This is a great place to get feedback on your art pieces (whether it be Pokemon-related or otherwise) from Smogon's most famous artists. You can also pop into this channel if you have a general art request.
FOUNDER
CyzirVisheen

SOPs
Fatecrashers
Zracknel

AOPs
Birkal
ChouToshio
icepick
paintseagull
Ritter
Rodan
Volmise

HOPs
chaos
Danmire
elcheeso
elevator_music
ium
Macle
v0x

VOPs
jumpluff
Zeb

#ubers is the rambunctious home of our most boisterous brawlers. Smogon's Ubers metagame is packed with powerhouses, and this channel follows suit. Come join the fray by duking it out with the most powerful Pokemon Smogon has to offer in this channel full of larger-than-life personalities.
FOUNDER
ibojangles

SOPs
Furai
GreatSage
Jibaku
poppy
Theorymon

AOPs
Dracoyoshi8
Hugendugen
negres
Nexus
shrang
Syrim
Tobes
trickroom
zing

HOPs
Eo
Iconic

VOPs
Ala
capefeather
ChanStat
Enguarde
Faint
ficcion
GEC
HSA
jonathanrp
Melee_Mewtwo
PKGaming
Pocket
pstats
ReyScarface
supermarth64

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
ah shit that explains where all the numbers went... my regexes must have been capturing on the digits in their names. kind of disappointed in myself for not noticing that earlier, i'll remember for next time

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know what anyone else would thinks about it, but right now I'm not really sure how much use this thread is. I might suggest that rather than having all the channels and their status lists in the OP that we instead have the leaders of each channel to post the info for the individual channels. This would allow the individual lists to be updated when necessary by the people who make the promotions. Additionally, based on what I am seeing here, the method used to collect the info does not differentiate between SOps and QOps, which is something the leaders of each channel would be able to do, if they wanted to.

In addition, it would be nice if we could give a brief description of each of the channels, as it is not always possible to tell what all the channels are used for by just the name.

jrp

Banned deucer.
I'm not going to be the only one updating this thread fyi, any of the moderators in this forum can assist in keeping the list up to date. this is basically just a "master list" of sorts that allows users to see who the ranked users in each channel are. I plan to add mibbit links as well as descriptions.

jrp

Banned deucer.
there's also a list of sorts in the social group Smogon IRC that I plan to borrow some information from

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I also have Founder on #grammar, CyzirVisheen is Founder for #smeargle, and I'm almost 100% positive that Birkal has Founder for #orangeislands

jrp

Banned deucer.
Added the above two posts

for some reason /cs access #channel list doesn't give you the name of the channel owners. I'll probably be hunting the owners for each channel down as the day goes on.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i assume the differences between the channel list in this thread and in birkal's article was intentional?

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
semi-official here means channels related to sub-forums of this site, whereas birkal's list threw together channels that smogon users have made, including random social ones and ones for non-smogon-related hobbies, that's a substantial difference

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well actually, for what it is worth, while Doug is indeed a QOp in #cap, the channel founder is actually tennisace. However, tennis really has nothing to do with the channel anymore and is only really still on the access list due to complications with transfering channel ownership, (or at least as far as I was told). If this is supposed to be a list of people who are actually responsible for channel auth and leadership, then tennisace should probably be removed from the #cap list.

jrp

Banned deucer.
just as a heads up, I'm probably going to be contacting the leaders of each channel (or at least high ranking members) to get a bit of information on rules / a general description of the channels.

jrp

Banned deucer.
I have added mibbit links to all semi-official channels in the op to increase the convenience for new users that want to join specific channels.

also if there are any discrepancies with the auth lists, feel free to either vm me, post in this thread or catch me on irc.

jrp

Banned deucer.
The OP of this thread has been updated with the descriptions from Birkal's IRC Directory. If anyone wants to modify a description for a channel, contact me.

Well actually, for what it is worth, while Doug is indeed a QOp in #cap, the channel founder is actually tennisace. However, tennis really has nothing to do with the channel anymore and is only really still on the access list due to complications with transfering channel ownership, (or at least as far as I was told). If this is supposed to be a list of people who are actually responsible for channel auth and leadership, then tennisace should probably be removed from the #cap list.
a QOp is exactly the same as a channel founder. The only reason I have one person listed for each channel's founder is the way ChanServ released the list. If a channel has multiple QOPs, then I will list them. I just need to know who to add.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)