#smogonvgc Live Tournament Feedback/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, the live tournament deal has been doing great over the past couple of months! However, the weekly threads have started to clutter up the forums, so we're just going to have a couple of permanent stickies instead.

In this thread, just post what you'd normally post in the weekly threads. Battle videos, whether or not you'll be able to attend that week's tournament, and of course any feedback you may have so we can improve the experience for everyone! As always, we're accepting donations for legendary Pokemon to give away during the tournament.

Here's the link to the IRC channel: #smogonvgc

And here's the YouTube playlist of exciting final rounds in previous weeks.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunally I only participated in one of them, but it was a great experience. It allowed me to face real teams without laddering (because come on, I started the battlespot on cartdridge just to lose my first battle on full swagger prankster, which became my last battle)

The only suggestion I could give to improve is to get better times for europeans, and maybe to not stack with Smogon Tour, the only reason I didn't play more was that I was either busy or sleeping.

These tourneys are such a win-win. Free legendary, most of which I can actually use, and seeing what people use is cool too even if all of you just run SubTran.
Gotta find some time to chop my team up a bit though. Last week and the April international was good testing for my ancient ass team.

I've participated in a few of these tournaments and it's always been a great experience for me.

I think that the Swiss format is perfect for this kind of tournament because it keeps it fun and is valuable practice even if you don't do well. The free legendary is awesome! A lot of newer players are discouraged from playing metagames on cartridges (such as VGC) because of the lack of access to pokemon, particularly legendaries. These tourneys are a great way for players to get into the game, improve their skills, and have fun.

Like others have said, the timing might be able to be improved so that these tourneys can have an even better turnout. Other than that, I think these tournaments are pretty much awesome in every way! =D

If the tourney is still on Friday (or Saturday) this week, I won't be able to make it... Sunday I can, though. ;) Edit: I'll probably be here to bring the party this week. ;)

Last edited:
I'm still watching after my appearance a fortnight ago, I didn't even look last week though because of the official thing - which I know I've failed on, luckily I only missed out on a double of my team centre. I hope to join some more fun tournaments in the future, supposing the times are acceptable.

Whoops, forgot that we were supposed to post stuff here. Anyways, I am definetly joining in this week, I got things to try out and I really want that TR Cress^_^

I love em they are great! I think its the main problem from before was drop outs but I feel as tho with check in and when we switched to battlefly from challonge but it still seems to happen from time to time. Personally I would rather the tournament be earlier and/or a different day but Friday isnt to bad but I could see more people busy on this day than other depending. Also sorry I have not been attending lately been really trying but somethings always come up! They are great tho I hope you guys continue to do it every week! The pokemon give aways are great! its hard to get them and really evens the playing field by doing this

Last edited:

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
These tournaments look so great! I'd love to participate, but the times don't ever seem to work for me. This is a great way to encourage people to participate though, so great work!

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It depends of your definition of legit. Those kinds of distributions are usually cloned from a legit Pokemon. So the Pokemon is legit for most people and will be fine in most (any?) tournaments. But if you don't like cloned Pokemon, they are not legit for you.

So, what is up with this week's tourney? The thread is usually up late Thursday, so is it a tourney this week?

So, what is up with this week's tourney? The thread is usually up late Thursday, so is it a tourney this week?
might be a bit later today, might go up Saturday or Sunday too.
I'm off today and tommorow, so let's hope its not a Sunday. I'm coinflipping this time: it's either going to be random (minimally trollish) shit, or a tweaked team since this damn breeding project is dicking me.

edit: ;_;

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to make a formal announcment about this last night:

1) This weeks tournament has been cancelled. Both lucariojr and I are wrapped up in things to do, mainly moving out of / into college, and don't have the free time to host the tournament.

2) The next tournament will be hosted Saturday May 16th. We'll be moving away from friday for good soon. Hope our European goers find that convenient.

It kind of sucks that you guys do these weekend nights. I can almost never make these because i'll be busy with other plans.

Hello everyone! Sorry for not getting the time out sooner, been getting into a rhythm for summer at college lately.

This week's tournament will begin tomorrow, May 16th at 4:00pm EDT (about 18 hours from when this post is being made)

Click here to register for the tournament

I have not secured a Pokemon I'm 100% comfortable giving out in a distribution, so we'll have info on the Pokemon later on.

I wish I could've participated today I would've loved a zapdos but I have finals to study for :/ Hopefully with summer starting I can begin playing in these next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)