#smogonvgc Live Tournament Feedback/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, we're thinking about having a couple of tourneys with best of three swiss since US nationals will be bo3 swiss. more matches would mean less rounds to keep things rolling smoothly for an online tournament, so i was looking for opinions on how we could go about this, or even if you guys actually want this or not.

hey guys, we're thinking about having a couple of tourneys with best of three swiss since US nationals will be bo3 swiss. more matches would mean less rounds to keep things rolling smoothly for an online tournament, so i was looking for opinions on how we could go about this, or even if you guys actually want this or not.
I like the actual style of tournaments, i found more fun to battle different teams in a league and then Best os 3 in the final rounds. However, there's no problem for me if you want to change the format, we can try it and then see what' s better, so if you want to do it c'mon !! See you all in next tourney!

Could be interesting to try out. It will indeed help give us more practice in bo3, which does add a new layer of mindgames. I'm fine with trying it out a couple of weeks.

Also, will there be a tourney this week?

I'm just finishing my year at college, and other games and hobbies (like reading) have been keeping me away from my Pokemon, so I haen't been participating for the last few weeks, and I doubt I will this week too... Hope I can join you guys soon, I'll contribute to this Bo3 Swiss thing and say; I've enjoyed the tournaments here as they have been, relatively quick and single with a top cut (that I never make it to. lol.)

I like fighting Bo1 Swiss rounds more, because my teams usually only work on surprise factor and Bo3 kills that I get to see more teams and try to figure out how the gears spin.
That said I'm not exactly opposed to Bo3. My work schedule will *eventually* allow me to participate again. I'm keeping my blades sharp on BS Doubles, no worries.

I feel that the bo3 is nice however it can help your OP scout you
Well, that is one of the things that are unique about bo3. Good players always try to hide as much information as possible about their team, and get as much information as possible from the oppoments team. Heck, some players care more about collecting information game 1 than actually winning it. So, although your opponent can scout you game 1, so can you do to him. That plus the choice of what to lead with the next match, which is very difficult if you want to be really smart, adds a whole new level of mindgames to bo3. Practice in this is imo nice, as you otherwise have to top cut to get practice.

I didn't enjoy having bo3, as it takes the extra time, we could use it for the last round because the tension for getting those top cut spots was quite amazing, although it's a killer when you realise you won't make it because of some bad luck in the first two rounds, Byes kill.

think about it this way. Lets say youre 6-0 going to try to get 7-0. you're playing bo3. you know what he's playing. and if you meet with him in top cut, he knows your team. all surprise factor is lost and ultimately can't win. I forfeited my last round in the smogonvgc tournament so i can be on even ground.

Well if I had made it into the top cut (remember I only had 3 opponents though) I would of had fair games where no one knew what I had and vice versa. At the same time though, as it was stated when I said I missed out because I lost the Bo1 round because of a crit, it works both ways. So you'd also know their team. You can always hold one back through the preliminaries too. I still would prefer Bo1 in preliminaries, and maybe Bo3 for the final round in the Swiss format we use before TC.

Signups have to be done 1 hour in advance right? So a 4PM start is a 3PM signup? I was wondering are all tournaments hosted at 4PM New York time? I checked for me (and in Australia) that's like a 5AM signup. Any chance of some more friendly signup/tournament times? I know it's not possible to satisfy everyone's timezone but just wondering :)?

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Signups have to be done 1 hour in advance right? So a 4PM start is a 3PM signup? I was wondering are all tournaments hosted at 4PM New York time? I checked for me (and in Australia) that's like a 5PM signup. Any chance of some more friendly signup/tournament times? I know it's not possible to satisfy everyone's timezone but just wondering :)?
All the recent tournaments have been held at 4 pm New York time. I'm guessing you meant 5 am for you? There aren't any other tournaments I know of but there may be some on nuggetbridge.

All the recent tournaments have been held at 4 pm New York time. I'm guessing you meant 5 am for you? There aren't any other tournaments I know of but there may be some on nuggetbridge.
Yeah, 5AM that's what I meant. That's no problem. I can see if I can make those earlier times.

Attending this weeks tournament :) I've been practicing quite a bit this summer. I'm hoping to better than I have in past tournaments!

With the Wrolds coming up. I wasn't expeting a decline in people participating until later, so we need to build up the hype for VGC again for larger turnouts... I think confirmation of the tournament earlier in the week, even without Battlefly's registration open might help too.

By the Nine I'm actually off today. I worked 9 out of the 10 last days.
Might show up if we have a tourney today, weeks of rust may hinder me but slow as he may be Titan is hard to fully stop.
Will bring something worth fighting this time, last time I brought Arbok-level trash for the lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)