#smogonvgc Live Tournament Week 7 - Latios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, in an effort to promote activity here in the VGC subforum, we'll be holding a practice tournament this Friday at 5 pm US central time (GMT -6). If this tournament goes over well enough, we'll do more like it and hopefully have more fun stuff for everyone. This week, we'll be giving away a flawless Hidden Power Ground Timid Latios (soft reset by P3DS) to everyone that enters the tournament to use in future live tournaments, or one of the many premier challenges being held across the US (and the world?).

This week, myself, lucariojr and Professor Birch will be running the bracket.

View the bracket and sign up for the tournament here
You will need to check in one hour before the tournament begins to participate.

We are experimenting and switching to Battlefy over Challonge. Please register an account there if you haven't already.

The rules are simple:
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. Basic VGC rules here, folks. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Id' like to keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter.
  • The tournament will be Swiss, best of one with a top cut that will be determined by how many people enter (or depending on time constraints)
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate.

Latios
Nature: Timid - Ability: Levitate
IVs: 31/x/31/30/30/31
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpAtk / 252 Speed
This week, we have a ORAS native Latios courtesy of P3DS. Latios lost its best pal the Dragon Gem this year, but it's still the fastest non-mega evolved Dragon-type out there and has monsterous Special Attack. This one even comes with Hidden Power Ground if you don't want to rely on a teammate to take out Heatran and company.

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free Latios. Stop by #smogonvgc this Friday to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.

HOW TO RECEIVE Latios:
  • Note: Latios will not start being distributed until 3:30 PM CST. Please follow these instructions then.
  • Step 1: Catch a Cacnea
  • Step 2: Offer the Cacnea for a Latios on the GTS. If you haven't registered Latios in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: At about 4:30pm EST, our distributor will start giving out the Latios. Refresh the GTS to receive your Latios. Enjoy!
This has been going for 6 weeks now and it's really incredible. Let's keep it up!

Question

Do any of the other metagames like OU or UU have similar weekly tournaments, or is it only VGC?

Question

Do any of the other metagames like OU or UU have similar weekly tournaments, or is it only VGC?
I'm pretty sure for now, only VGC members are doing this kind of tournaments. If it were tiers, it'll be WAY more complicated as a lot of people will join them. When i mean a lot, i say at the very least 300 -_-.
Doing this tournament in VGC is pretty simple, the way they're organized are exactly as people organize in real life tournaments.

When is the tournament? At what time? Is this an overtime tournament (done in days, or in on sitting). Can you unregistered if you do. Can you still join.
Sorry for all of the questions, its my first time thinking about doing on of these

When is the tournament? At what time? Is this an overtime tournament (done in days, or in on sitting). Can you unregistered if you do. Can you still join.
Sorry for all of the questions, its my first time thinking about doing on of these
Basically, if you want to join, add yourself to the bracket. (Need to make a battlefy account first). However, tonight's tourney already started ~ 30 mins ago. They usually happen every friday evening, and there is usually something given away. and it is a live tourney, as in, first round is on now, and soon round 2 will be up. It tries to mirror actual premier challenge style events in the VGC circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)