#smogonvgc Live Tournament Week 9 - Thundurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi everyone, in an effort to promote activity here in the VGC subforum, we'll be holding a practice tournament this Friday at 5 pm US central time (GMT -6). If this tournament goes over well enough, we'll do more like it and hopefully have more fun stuff for everyone. This week, we'll be giving away a Calm Thundurus (soft reset by Zari ) to everyone that enters the tournament to use in future live tournaments, or one of the many premier challenges being held across the US (and the world?).

This week, TheMantyke , lucariojr, and Professor Birch will be running the bracket.

View the bracket and sign up for the tournament here.

You will need to check in one hour before the tournament begins to participate.

We are switching to Battlefy over Challonge. Please register an account there if you haven't already.

Additionally, we're aiming to record the finals and put them up on the official Smogon Youtube Channel! This should go without saying, but please, if you make it to the finals, save your Battle Videos and post them here!

if we don't get the battle video up on youtube soon after the tournament, please pester us about it. we probably deserve it.

The rules are simple:
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. Basic VGC rules here, folks. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Id' like to keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter.
  • The tournament will be Swiss, best of one with a top cut (with best of three matches) that will be determined by how many people enter (or depending on time constraints)
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate.

Thundurus
Nature: Calm - Ability: Prankster
IVs: 31/x/30/27/31/31 (Hidden Power Ice)
This week, we have a ORAS native Thundurus courtesy of Zari. Bulky Thundurus has been reletively untouched in the transition to VGC15, but now it has some new Pokemon to prey on such as Suicune and Talonflame, and new threats that hate paralysis such as Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross. This along with priority Taunt at its disposal makes Thundurus a welcome addition to many teams.

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free Thundurus. Stop by #smogonvgc this Friday to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.

HOW TO RECEIVE THUNDURUS:
  • Note: Thundurus will not start being distributed until 3:30 PM CST. Please follow these instructions then.
  • Step 1: Catch a Baltoy
  • Step 2: Offer the Baltoy for an Thundurus on the GTS. If you haven't registered Thundurus in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: At about 4:30pm EST, our distributor will start giving out the Thundurus. Refresh the GTS to receive your Thundurus. Enjoy!
This has been going for 8 weeks now and it's really incredible. Let's keep it up!

If you haven't already, you can watch the finals of last week's tournament here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope I can do as good this week as last week.
Also, are these pokémon redistributable for trade threads and stuff like that, just wondering

I'll join this week! I wasn't able to join the last three, so hopefully this will make up for my absence. Sounds fun as usual.

I think i'll finally be able to play without connection issues & soccer matches or trips to GodKnowsWhere and stuff like that, so i'll make mah best to be there. I'll bring my MVP so be warned about it
:P

I'm off and I'm not dying left and right to 1340 noobs atm, so should be good. Gotta breed/train like mad though, HA Johto starters have claimed the last two days I should of spent on my team.

edit: also, IVs on Thundy?

I just signed up I want be home when you'll start distributing but I'll be home by the time the tournament starts. Can I receive the thundurus around that time?

I'm off and I'm not dying left and right to 1340 noobs atm, so should be good. Gotta breed/train like mad though, HA Johto starters have claimed the last two days I should of spent on my team.

edit: also, IVs on Thundy?
The IV's on Thundurus are 31/x/27/30/31/31, it atleast says so in the OP. Those IV's make HP Ice.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
By the way, if you got sniped and received a crappy Thundurus, let me know. So far only one two have happened, so don't lie

latest snipe is OT: Hayden JK Pretty sure it was TheMantyke who traded it.

Last edited:
the OT of this Thundurus is Noelle guys, I'm not sure why people keep thinking this is the wrong Thundurus. Check the stats.

In case anyone's interested, the first semifinal's videos:
Game 1: 74HG-WWWW-WWXG-GS6P
Game 2: YFYW-WWWW-WWXG-GSC6
Game 3: MRJG-WWWW-WWXG-GSG6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)