Snorlax is back.

Alright, this is my second RMT and is my first sun team. I really like this team but is still not perfect. Any help would be appreciated.

The team​

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Pain Split ---> Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
Starting off with ninetales. Ninetales is essential to every sun team (unless its a sunny day team) as it has drought ability. I normally lead with this to get the sun up. I decided to go with a more defensive set rather than an offensive. Will-o-wisp I normally use when I predict a switch to a physical attacker or any switch to be honest. Flamethrower is for stab damage and solarbeam to take care of grass types. I was originally using sunny day instead of pain split but I hardly ever use sunny day so I changed it for pain split.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Leech Seed --> Growth
- Sleep Powder --> Hidden Power Ice
I decided to go with Tangrowth instead of venusaur for a chlorophyll user. I prefer tangrowth over venusaur if i'm honest. This thing is my main sweeper as it outspeeds a lot of pokemon with chlorophyll and growth boosts my sp atk. and atk. by 2 stages in sun. Sleep powder is there to give me time to set up. I'm using a special set instead of physical set so Giga Drain is my main stab move. I also gain health back with Giga Drain so life orb recoil won't be a problem. Focus Blast is to take care of ice and steel types as they are a problem for Tangrowth.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
Fairly standard set. This thing can be a fearsome sweeper in a sun team, with really good typing and access to quiver dance, this thing can sweep whole teams just like that. Fiery dance also has a 50% chance to raise my sp atk. which is pretty neat. There's nothing really to say about this because so many people use this and for good reason too.

Snorlax @ Leftovers ---> Chesto Berry
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 104 Atk / 188 HP / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch---> Rest
Another fairly standard set. This pokemon, is the star of the team. I was using this in my UU team and it really destroys everything so I was like what the heck? Why not use it in OU, and wow is it amazing! Once I set up a curse, nothing can come in snorlax's way. Snorlax also walls any special move out there. Body Slam almost always paralyzes for me and does some hefty damage after a curse. Earthquake and fire punch are mainly there for steel types and ferrothorn>.<

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Landorus is my scarfmon and my revenge killer. This is also to win the weather war, when a sandstorm team comes, Landorus is my best friend because of Sand Force. Earthquake and Stone edge do some hefty damage to anything. HP Ice is really just for those pokemon with a 4x weakness such as dragonite and gliscor. Nothing much to say here really xD.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar----> Ice Shard

Donphan is my physical wall and my stealth rocker + rapid spinner. Donphan is essential to sun teams. It nicely walls rock moves that sun teams dread. Rapid spin is to get those damn stealth rocks out of there and stealth rock is to get my own up:P. Earthquake is to get some stab damage out there and roar is to prevent anything from setting up.

So there you go. I hope you enjoyed my RMT and thanks for reading this!

Well, Mamoswine with Superpower looks like it could steamroll through this team. You have 3 ice weaknesses and it looks like you would be screwed if you lost a weather war with rain.
Starmie>Donphan?
Checks rain and Mamoswine while giving better offensive and defensive synergy at the cost of rocks and phazing.
That still leaves Volcarona with the job of dealing with Weavile though.

Also, why Tangrowth? All you said was "I prefer it". You're gonna need more than that to get a good rate in response.

Alright, this looks like a decent team. Now, when it comes to weaknesses in your team... Well, I can see DDnite as a big one after Landorus goes down, so I'd consider giving Donphan a better utility in being able to take down these fast Dragons in Mence/Dnite/Chomp. The option would be Ice Shard > Roar, as I can't see you using roar all too often. Besides, out of experience of how people use Donphan, it is basically a Switch-In-Spin-Srocks-Ice Shard-Die routine. I see no reason why that shouldn't be the case with you.

Now, for the Tangrowth... I've never really used one myself, as I'm more of a Victreebel/Leafeon/Sawsbuck kind of guy, but it looks decent enough... Sadly, due to his low basespeed, a lot of pokemon can actually outspeed with a Scarf despite everything. And his abysmal Special Defense doesn't help him out. So, that makes things like Lati@s a huge threat to your team the moment you lose your Snorlax. Of course, Snorlax can take a lot of hits first. To help deal with these dragons that roam in OU, I'd get rid of Sleep Powder for Hidden Power Ice. The "Grass-fighting-ice" coverage is actually very good.

And for the Snorlax, well, as a Curselax, he should atleast have some more Special Defense investments. I'll post the typical Curselax set at the bottom for you to consider.

Finally, the biggest threat to your own team is, in fact, Sun teams. And especially mix Infernape, as he can dish out extremely powerful Overheats/Fire Blasts in the Sun, and also get rid of your Lax with a STAB Close Combat. Nothing on your team wants to switch in to that.

Curselax

Snorlax @ Leftovers | Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 104 Def / 216 SpD | Careful nature
Moves:
~ Curse
~ Body Slam / Return
~ Crunch / Fire Punch / Earthquake
~ Rest / Selfdestruct

I agree with youngjake with the Starmie > Donphan idea.

Yo there,

First of all, welcome to Smogon! Speaking about your team, it seems weak to dragon-types such as Dragonite and Salamence which can setup on Ninetales, Volcarona and Tangrowth and then they can smash your team very easily, you have Choice Scarf Landorus but it isn't enough in my opinion because you need a solid switch into them. Therefore, I suggest you to use Ice Shard replacing Roar on your Donphan because with this change, you have a solid switch into physical dragon-types and another revenge-killer for them. Then, I see that special dragon-types such as Lati Twins and Hydreigon are still a problem for your team since you haven't solid switch into them and they can simple use Draco Meteor to destroy your team. To solve your weakness to special dragon-types, I suggest you to change Snorlax's set in a Choice Band one with Pursuit, CB Snorlax is a good pokemon and with Pursuit it can trap-kill Lati Twins easily. I'd use an EV spread of 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 SpD with a moveset of Return, Fire Punch, Pursuit and Superpower, with Adamant nature and with Choice Band obviously. Next, I'd use Hidden Power Fire replacing Focus Blast on Tangrowth, it hits steel-types and ice-types though, it's boosted by the sun becoming a very good move and it doesn't miss, for all those reasons, I think that Hidden Power Fire is simple better than Focus Blast on your Tangrowth. Finally, I'd change a little Ninetales' moveset, in my opinion, Ninetales always needs Sunny Day to punish Politoed, Tyranitar and Hippowdon's switch in and to try to win the weather war more easily. Sunny Day also allows you to use SolarBeam with more confidence since if you use SolarBeam while Tyranitar, for example, is switching in, it'll kill Ninetales and you'll lose the weather war, so I suggest you to use Sunny Day replacing Pain Split which seems Ninetales' more useless move since it isn't a very reliable recovery move since if you use it on a pokemon which has much HP, you'll recover few HP. If you want to use a recovery move on Ninetales, I suggest you to use Rest replacing Pain Split and Sunny Day replacing SolarBeam, I'd use Chesto Berry as item which is very good with Rest since it allows to recover all the HP in only one turn.

Good luck.

Alright, so i've made a few changed to the team as you can see above..
-Putting ice shard on donphan totally slipped my mind, totally forgot it could learn it xD
-Snorlax now has rest with chesto berry
-Tangrowth has hp ice instead of sleep powder as suggested above
-I've also put sunny day on Ninetales

The reason why I am using tangrowth over other chlorophyll users like sawsbuck and venusaur is because of the pure reason that i think tangrowth is underrated and has some potential.
I decided not to change donphan to starmie because the main reason i have donphan is to wall those rock moves my team hate. And after all, it is a sun team, and I cant see myself using starmie too often

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)