Snorlax (QC 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel choice band is the only good set, if you think specially defensive or curse are good at all, I will need to use them since I have no experience with them.

[Overview]
  • The once mighty king of older generations has fallen but is still useful
  • Special bulk and thick fat and high attack still allow it to be a powerful special tank
  • Can take on many special threats in the metagame and trap them like tyranitar, making it a boon to non-sand teams
  • Lack of resistances and recovery hurts
[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Fire Punch / Wild Charge (maybe Crunch)
item: Choice Band
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Adamant
evs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Functions similarly to Tyranitar on sun or weatherless teams being able to trap and kill Latios, Latias, Gengar, Starmie, and Reuniclus
  • It can also counter Heatran and Volcarona, and check nearly every special attacker
  • Choice Band adds a needed attack boost to grantee many KOs and successfully trap things
  • return is a needed stab
  • Pursuit is a must to trap and kill stuff
  • Wild Charge is for Gengar and Jellicent
  • The last slot takes down steels and rocks
  • Earthquake for Tyranitar, and Heatran, and Terrakion
  • Fire punch can be useful on sun teams, and gets a neat chance at a 2HKO on Skarm, it also defends off against Ferrothorn, and Forretress
[Additional Comments]
  • EVs focused on attack first to hit stuff, then special defense to take special hits much better
  • The special bulk gained from focusing in special defense is needed, for example with this spread Snorlax avoids a 2HKO from specs-Latios Drago Meteor
  • Body slam > Return for paralysis chance, but the loss in power is rarely worth it
  • Crunch to outright kill Gengar
  • Superpower, self destruct, and double edge (gotta test em all)
  • Snorlax doesn't appreciate passive damage from opposing weathers, so rain or sun support is useful
  • Sweepers that like the pokemon snorlax can trap out of the way love snorlax, for example venusaur likes Latios, and Latias out of the way
  • Defensive teams also like starmie and gengar trapped and killed to prevent spin blocking and spinning
  • Snorlax can't take boosted water hits, and it dreadfully weak against fighting types, so Celebi and Amoonguss make excellent partners
  • rapid spin support is useful to help it stick around longer
  • Wish support is cool, but the only wisher that doesn't compete with the same role is Vaporeon
  • snorlax appreciates rocks up to get many KOs and make some passive damage by forcing out pokemon, rocks also helps to kill of Volc which could otherwise fish for burns
[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Body Slam / Double Edge
move 2: Fire Punch
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Pursuit
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

[Additional Comments]

• Return
  • Crunch
  • Chople Berry and Expert Belt

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Return / Body Slam
move 3: Earthquake / Fire Punch
move 4: Rest / Selfdestruct
nature: Careful
evs: 188 HP / 104 Def / 216 SpD (idk about this)

[SET COMMENTS]

[Additional Comments]

• Evs prevent 3HKO from specs Jolteon (why I am unsure about the legitimacy of the spread in the current meta)
  • Crunch
  • Double edge
  • Pursuit support
  • Cleric support

[Other Options]

• Retaliate can get up to a scary 140 base attack after an ally dies, but snorlax lacks the speed to use it
  • Rock slide garantees a 1HKO on Volcarona, but it already 2HKOs it and everything else
  • fire blast
  • rest talk with body slam / whirlwind / rest / sleep talk is neat to phase, but the special attacks are to strong and the lack of good recovery hurts
  • Snorlax has belly drum, but there are to many strong attackers in the meta and rest is to unreliable for it to be used
  • Immunity can be useful vs toxic spikes teams and avoid poison from toxic, but toxic spikes are uncommon and the resistance gained from thick fat is to good to pass up
[Checks and Counters]
  • Without fire punch, Skarm, Ferrothorn, Forretress say hi
  • Easily crippled with burn or poison
  • Heatran, Tyranitar, and Terrakion without earthquake
  • Gliscor, with Intimidate Gyarados, and Hippowdon are solid counters
  • Jellicent can come in and cripple with wisp
  • Once locked into a move many things can come in, almost any fighting type can revenge

metsrule158

Don't disturb him on his break.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mention in checks and counters that toxic can cripple snorlax, as it has no means of recovery whatsoever.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definitely mention that Stealth Rock is necessary to OHKO Volcarona, as the bulky set can take a Choice Band Return and, thus, force Snorlax to gamble on burn chances. To show:

63.9% - 75.5% - before burn
31.8% - 38% - after burn

Which means Volcarona can Roost off the Return a couple of times and Quiver Dance if Snorlax is burnt. Granted, you likely have checks that can outspeed it and KO it after a Quiver Dance, but the damage output from Return after a burn is kind of scary. You just have to be faster than Tornadus-T, which leaves a handful of Scarfers and... Jolteon... and Weavile I guess.

I think pairing it with Rain and Vaporeon is probably your best bet. You can gain Wish passing if warranted, or even have Vaporeon carry Heal Bell to cure burns from Snorlax. I don't see how Jirachi is a terrible partner, though.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I personally believe that CB set is not Snorlax's best set in OU. Snorlax has a massive movepool, and being choice-locked hinders its versatility. Some sort of tankish non-choiced set should work, whether it be an all-out attacker with Self-Destruct or 3 atk + Counter / Whirlwind / Curse / Block / Refresh / Yawn, etc. I'd like you to test a non-choiced version of Snorlax.

Leftovers is a good option for any non-choiced lax, but Chople Berry does sound good for tanking fighting moves with ease. It can probably even run 3 atk + Chesto Rest to replenish its health. Its movepool has great coverage enough to make good use of Expert Belt. Pink Bow is good to power its STAB moves, namely Self-D. Going "mixed" with Fire Blast to roast Skarmory is always nice.

Thanks to Snorlax's colossal HP, it does not mind Double-Edge's recoil (relatively speaking, it's not going to cripple itself like Darmanitan), especially if its holding Leftovers. Body Slam is also a fine STAB alternative to slow down opponent, which helps with Lax's low Speed. Body Slam and Double-Edge are both superior to Return on Lax, imo.

So yea, play around with non-choiced Lax sets to fully explore its potential in OU. I would chip in whenever I have a chance to test it out.

P.S.: Concerning the CB set:

Make Wild Charge the primary 3rd move - as discussed in CB Stoutland's analysis, Wild Charge provides better neutral coverage than Pursuit, and most Ghost-types are hit hard(er) by Wild Charge anyways; Wild Charge OHKOs Gengar after SR damage 62.5% of the time. Hitting Skarmory and bulky Water-types for super-effective damage is a definite plus.

Superpower > EQ imo, since it hits many more things for neutral / super-effective damage. Hitting Ferrothorn, Blissey, and TTar harder is superior to hitting Jirachi for super-effective damage, imo.

Also no mention of Self-D on its choiced set? Despite the nerf, a STAB Self-D will hurt!

Change the EV spread to 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 SpD; this provides very similar special defensiveness while the extra HP will allow it to take physical hits better.

Ok Ill make the changes easily of the first 2 posts.

@ Pocket

Ok Im currently testing out a bulk tank set with leftovers, I quickly realized it doesn't play anything like the choice band set, definitely worth its own set. Im also testing out a sleep talk set, its ok but it requires a ton of team support, having a cleric with it is mandatory. I can see its merits though for phasing, but at the end of the battle I am left wondering, "Why I am not using Chansey or Blissey here." Again I need to play test it more. Curse is something I also need to test out. Ill leave all the sets in skeleton form here to see any input.

To be honest Im not sure about chople and expert belt, I could play with it though. I don't think fire blast is worth it though, if you really insist on 2HKOing skarm, use CB fire punch or fire punch in the sun. Ill add it to OO though.

Yeah I see the benefits of double edge, with leftovers it is worth the recoil. Although Im unsure about the CB set because it has all the power it needs, and the recoil would still really hurt, I can only think of a few things you could get a KO on, I will test it though for sure.

Wild charge does seem overall better, I honestly never thought of it. Crunch still has the benefits of outright killing Gengar, not messing around with pain split shenanigans, it also helps on a few other more uncommon ghosts, Sableye for example, so it still stays AC.

Im really against superpower though as a main option though. Sure its great against everything outside of Jirachi, but generally CB snorlax is solution for CM Jirachi as a glue for teams that use him. I mean unless you have something else for CM Jirachi, I wouldn't suggest it. Fire punch is right next to it because on sun teams, fire punch is stronger and you have ninetails for Jirachi. I could test it, but honestly I don't see it working. Self destruct is interesting, but Im having a hard time seeing where it can be used.

The spread seems reasonable, about a 1% loss of spD for about 3% gain in defense. :)

A lot more testing I need to do.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, RestTalk sucks this gen, so it's gonna get rejected (some QC members already said that).

The special set itself can be effective; just not rest-talk. Refresh, EQ for Jirachi, Protect, etc may be better.

I also have some ideas for the non-choiced offensive lax, but need to test them out.

I think the EV's for both Choice Band and the Leftovers varients should be 40 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 176 SpD like the old analysis. It survives a Band'd Stone Edge iirc which is still prevalent in the current metagame, and it still isn't 2HKO'd by Latios Draco Meteor, so the minor EV adjustment is worth it imo.

If there is any point in time the Curse set has been viable in 5th gen, it is now (so important I put it in bold). Tornadus-T has surpressed every single Fighting type basically out of OU besides Techniloom and Terrakion. Mienshao, Scrafty, and Virizion have all fallen out of OU and Conkeldurr to an extent. This makes it much easier for Snorlax to actually work and much easier to cover his weaknesses. I believe with one Curse Tornadus-T can not 2HKO with Superpower. He makes an excellent bulky sweeper on balanced teams as well an excellent sponge. In homage to the Skarmory-Tentacruel-Blissey core that often finds itself on stall teams, I have been using a Skarmory-Tentacruel-Snorlax core. Toxic Spikes is quite handy for those pesky Jellicent's and Tyranitars.

Bar none I think its best partner is defensive Celebi. Snrolax covers those pesky Ice and Fire weaknesses while Celebi defends against Breloom and Terrakion (to an extent). If Snorlax finds himself on Rest but can't wake up in time, just find an oppurtunity to get Celebi in and Heal Bell.

IMO Earthquake>Fire Punch. Gengar and Steel types are far easier to remove than Tyranitar, which is grossly overused. With the amount of rain running around, Fire Punch will be rather limited. It also compromises Snorlax's ability to check SubCM Jirachi in the rain. Crunch is kinda meh since Jellicent will be using Taunt+Will-o-Wisp to take you down, meaning you can't Crunch on the turn you wake up from Rest (that is the turn where you are impossible to be burned). Speaking of steel types, that another great reason to partner Celebi up with Snorlax since it can mess with Ferrothorn. No Leech Seed recovery+repeated Earthquake means it will be dying a slow and frustrating death.

Pocket

Here's a defensive Snorlax set I am testing.

name: Defensive Phazer
move 1: Whirlwind
move 2: Body Slam
move 3: Refresh
move 4: Protect / Earthquake / Counter
nature: Careful
evs: 208 HP / 164 Def / 136 SpD

The EVs is up for debate - it's ~67% biased towards special defense. I should probably run some calcs, though.

UberLax joined.
Pocket joined.
Format: OU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
Pocket's team:
Politoed / Ferrothorn / Tentacruel / Jellicent / Latias / Snorlax
UberLax's team:
Politoed / Ferrothorn / Tornadus-Therian / Toxicroak / Blissey / Gliscor
Battle between UberLax and Pocket started!
UberLax sent out Toxicroak!
Pocket sent out Ivy (Ferrothorn)!
Turn 1
Pocket called Ivy back!
Pocket sent out Echizen (Jellicent)!
The foe's Toxicroak used Substitute!
The foe's Toxicroak put in a substitute!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 25% of its health!
The foe's Toxicroak restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 2
Pocket called Echizen back!
Pocket sent out Wendy (Latias)!
The foe's Toxicroak used Bulk Up!
The foe's Toxicroak's Attack rose!
The foe's Toxicroak's Defense rose!
Turn 3
The foe's Toxicroak used Sucker Punch!
But it failed!
Wendy used Reflect!
Reflect raised your team's defense!
Turn 4
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
The foe's Toxicroak's substitute faded!
Turn 5
UberLax called Toxicroak back!
UberLax sent out Blissey!
Wendy used Calm Mind!
Wendy's Special Attack rose!
Wendy's Special Defense rose!
Turn 6
Inactive players will forfeit in 150 seconds. (requested by UberLax)
The restart or kick was interrupted by activity.
Pocket called Wendy back!
The foe's Blissey used Toxic!
It doesn't affect Ivy...
Turn 7
UberLax called Blissey back!
Ivy used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Your team's reflect wore off!
Turn 8
Pocket called Ivy back!
The foe's Toxicroak used Drain Punch!
It's not very effective... Wendy lost 18% of its health!
Wendy restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 9
UberLax sent out Ferrothorn!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Ferrothorn!
The foe's Ferrothorn restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 10
Ivy used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!
The foe's Ferrothorn used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
Turn 11
Pocket called Ivy back!
Pocket sent out Juvia (Politoed)!
Pointed stones dug into Juvia!
Juvia's Drizzle made it rain!
UberLax called Ferrothorn back!
UberLax sent out Gliscor!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gliscor!
Juvia restored HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Gliscor's Toxic Orb activated!
The foe's Gliscor was badly poisoned!
Turn 12
UberLax called Gliscor back!
The foe's Blissey is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Blissey!
Pocket called Juvia back!
Pocket sent out Sting (Tentacruel)!
Pointed stones dug into Sting!
Sting's Rain Dish heals it!
The foe's Blissey restored HP using its Leftovers!
Sting restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 13
Sting used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Blissey lost 4% of its health!
The pointed stones disappeared from around your team!
The foe's Blissey used Seismic Toss!
Sting lost 27% of its health!
Turn 14
Sting used Toxic!
The foe's Blissey was badly poisoned!
The foe's Blissey used Wish!
The foe's Blissey was hurt by poison!
Turn 15
Pocket called Sting back!
The foe's Toxicroak is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Toxicroak!
The foe's Toxicroak's Dry Skin heals it!
Blissey's wish came true!
Turn 16
Pocket called Ivy back!
Turn 17
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
Turn 18
Wendy used Reflect!
Turn 19
But it failed!
Wendy used Calm Mind!
Turn 20
It's super effective! Wendy lost 45% of its health!
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
Turn 21
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 61% of its health!
Turn 22
It's super effective! Wendy lost 41% of its health!
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
Turn 23
But it failed!
Wendy used Reflect!
Turn 24
But it failed!
Wendy used Recover!
Wendy regained health!
Turn 25
UberLax sent out Ferrothorn!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Ferrothorn!
The foe's Ferrothorn is hurt by the spikes!
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
A critical hit! It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 30% of its health!
Turn 26
The foe's Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
It doesn't affect Ivy...
Turn 27
Ivy used Spikes!
The foe's Ferrothorn used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!
Turn 28
Ivy used Spikes!
Turn 29
Pocket called Ivy back!
Sting is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 30
Sting used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 1% of its health!
Sting is hurt by the foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs!
The spikes disappeared from around your team's feet!
The foe's Ferrothorn used Power Whip!
Sting lost 34% of its health!
Turn 31
It doesn't affect Ivy...
Turn 32
Pocket called Ivy back!
Turn 33
Echizen used Will-O-Wisp!
The attack of Echizen missed!
Echizen was seeded!
Echizen's health is sapped by Leech Seed!
Turn 34
Pointed stones dug into Wendy!
It's not very effective... Wendy lost 19% of its health!
Turn 35
Wendy used Reflect!
Wendy was seeded!
Wendy's health is sapped by Leech Seed!
Turn 36
Turn 37
Sting used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 1% of its health!
Sting is hurt by the foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs!
The spikes disappeared from around your team's feet!
Sting lost 20% of its health!
Turn 38
Sting used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 11% of its health!
Sting was seeded!
Sting's health is sapped by Leech Seed!
Turn 39
It's super effective! Echizen lost 33% of its health!
Echizen restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 40
Echizen used Will-O-Wisp!
The foe's Ferrothorn was burned!
It's super effective! Echizen lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn was hurt by its burn!
Turn 41
Echizen used Taunt!
The foe's Ferrothorn fell for the taunt!
The foe's Ferrothorn can't use Leech Seed after the taunt!
Turn 42
Echizen used Recover!
Echizen regained health!
It's super effective! Echizen lost 30% of its health!
Turn 43
UberLax called Ferrothorn back!
UberLax sent out Tornadus-Therian!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tornadus-Therian!
Echizen used Recover!
Echizen regained health!
Turn 44
The foe's Tornadus-Therian used Hurricane!
Echizen lost 60% of its health!
The foe's Tornadus-Therian lost some of its HP!
Echizen used Scald!
The foe's Tornadus-Therian lost 43% of its health!
Turn 45
Pocket sent out Snow (Snorlax)!
Snow lost 37% of its health!
Snow restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 46
UberLax called Tornadus-Therian back!
Snow used Protect!
But it failed!
The foe's Gliscor restored HP using its Poison Heal!
Turn 47
The foe's Gliscor used Swords Dance!
The foe's Gliscor's Attack sharply rose!
Snow used Body Slam!
The foe's Gliscor lost 20% of its health!

Turn 48
Pocket called Snow back!
The foe's Gliscor used Swords Dance!
The foe's Gliscor's Attack sharply rose!
Turn 49
Wendy used Reflect!
The foe's Gliscor used Ice Fang!
It's super effective! Wendy lost 43% of its health!
Turn 50
Pocket sent out Juvia (Politoed)!
The foe's Gliscor used Ice Fang!
It's not very effective... Juvia lost 14% of its health!
Turn 51
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Toxicroak!
The foe's Toxicroak is hurt by the spikes!
Juvia used Ice Beam!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 36% of its health!
Turn 52
Juvia used Ice Beam!
Turn 53
Juvia lost 24% of its health!
Juvia had its energy drained!
Juvia used Ice Beam!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 40% of its health!
Turn 54
Pocket called Juvia back!
It's not very effective... Wendy lost 18% of its health!
Wendy had its energy drained!
Turn 55
Wendy used Reflect!
Turn 56
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
Turn 57
Wendy used Recover!
Wendy regained health!
Turn 58
But it failed!
Wendy used Calm Mind!
Turn 59
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
Turn 60
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 71% of its health!
Turn 61
Wendy used Reflect!
Turn 62
It's super effective! Wendy lost 74% of its health!
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
Turn 63
Wendy used Dragon Pulse!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 57% of its health!
The foe's Toxicroak fainted!
UberLax: ran out of pp for sucker punch :(
Inactive players will forfeit in 180 seconds. (requested by Pocket)
Pocket: xp
Turn 64
UberLax: this is a good game btw
Pocket sent out Snow (Snorlax)!
Snow lost 39% of its health!
Turn 65
Pocket: thanks
UberLax called Tornadus-Therian back!
Snow used Protect!
But it failed!
Turn 66
The foe's Gliscor used Earthquake!
Snow lost 27% of its health!
Snow used Whirlwind!
The foe's Politoed is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Politoed!
The foe's Politoed restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 67
Snow used Protect!
Snow protected itself!
The foe's Politoed used Scald!
Snow protected itself!
Turn 68
The foe's Politoed used Toxic!
Snow was badly poisoned!
Snow used Body Slam!
The foe's Politoed lost 23% of its health!
The foe's Politoed was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Snow was hurt by poison!
Turn 69
The foe's Politoed used Protect!
The foe's Politoed protected itself!
Snow used Refresh!
Snow was cured of its poisoning.
Turn 70
Snow used Body Slam!
The foe's Politoed lost 23% of its health!
The foe's Politoed used Scald!
Snow lost 19% of its health!

Turn 71
Pocket called Snow back!
The foe's Politoed used Perish Song!
All Pokémon hearing the song will faint in three turns!
The foe's Politoed's perish count fell to 3.
Echizen's perish count fell to 3.
Turn 72
The foe's Politoed used Toxic!
The foe's Politoed's perish count fell to 2.
Turn 73
Sting used Toxic Spikes!
Poison spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!
The foe's Politoed used Perish Song!
The foe's Politoed's perish count fell to 1.
Sting's perish count fell to 3.
Turn 74
UberLax called Politoed back!
Turn 75
The foe's Gliscor used Earthquake!
Echizen lost 27% of its health!
Echizen used Scald!
It's super effective! The foe's Gliscor lost 88% of its health!
Turn 76
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Blissey!
The foe's Blissey is hurt by the spikes!
The foe's Blissey was poisoned!
Turn 77
Turn 78
Sting used Toxic Spikes!
Poison spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!
The foe's Blissey used Seismic Toss!
Sting lost 27% of its health!
Blissey's wish came true!
Turn 79
Turn 80
Ivy used Power Whip!
It's not very effective... The foe's Tornadus-Therian lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Tornadus-Therian fainted!
UberLax: :(
Turn 81
The foe's Gliscor used Taunt!
Ivy fell for the taunt!
Ivy used Gyro Ball!
The foe's Gliscor lost 12% of its health!
The foe's Gliscor fainted!
UberLax: gg
Pocket: thanks
UberLax forfeited.
Pocket won the battle!
Ladder updating...
UberLax left.
UberLax's rating: 1736 → 1729
(-7 for losing)
Pocket's rating: 1490 → 1517
(+19 for winning, +8 from bonus pool)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok, i'm posting in direct opposition of Pocket.

You should keep CB and axe every other set, since they're really bad in BW OU. Restalk got slammed by the mechanics change and is just a weak set in general and you will never successfully pull off a curse sweep in gen V. Physical attackers hit too hard (hell a good amount of Special Attackers "hit Snorlax too hard" like Psychock Latios). The tank set isn't necessarily bad, but I feel that's an (inferior) extension to the CB. It was good when Selfdestruct didn't suck, but now it's slash material at best. Snorlax as a whole isn't particular good in BW, and CB is the only set that allows it to keep up with the current metagame. I think there's a better spread out there, but i've got nothing for now so you'll have to wait on it.

Choice Band:

The moveset order should look like this:
-Return
-Pursuit
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch / Crunch

Earthquake is non-negotiable. You'll need it if you want to to get meaningful damage on things like Tyranitar, Heatran, etc so having it slashed is a bad idea. Fire Punch is almost as important, since it gets useful coverage on things like Ferrothorn & Forretress. I don't think slashing it with Wild Charge on the other hand is kind of a weak option and it has recoil. Crunch also targets Jellicent, and WC' isn't actually useful against Skarmory since it'll stall you out. Put it in AC, along with Body Slam.

Yeah Ill get rid of sleep talk, the special attackers in the meta are too strong to be messing with rest like that.

The "tank" set is pretty solid I have to say though, instead of firing off boosted attacks it goes more on the path of a pivot, a glue of sorts, that works greatly to spread paralysis or damage. At the very least that and CB should be in the analysis.

Im not to sure about Pockets set, ill have to give it a go myself before I say anything, it looks interesting though.

Curse takes a bit of team support to pull off in this meta, but it still can work. I really want to play with it more because I feel that is may still be an acceptable set.

On the note of earthquake, I do agree with you on earthquake as a main slash, its a bit of my bias towards Gengar that made me think you could run without it...Not to sure about wild charge though. For now will keep it as a slash until further input.

Edit: After looking at the numbers, Princess's Bri's set is interesting, although it doesn't exactly avoid a 2HKO from Latios's draco meteor, it actually adds a slim chance. Im not sure its worth the toss up.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think that the Curse set has a lot of merit, and is a good set in this meta, provided you give it the right support. In theory it is a a Blissey with less special bulk, no reliable recovery, more resistances, and respectable offensive presence, along with a good boosting move. So if Blissey is usable, it can't be that bad right?

Being able to wall Volcarona in Sun even better than Blissey, and being able to actually counter any Volcarona and Latias out there (the blobs lose to ChestoRest Rona and Refresh Latias) is something no other poke can boast. Also it is able to tank hits from the most powerful special attackers in the tier, such as non-Psyshock Latios, Heatran (in sun), Rotom-W in rain and Specs Politoed, so this makes it as a great all around check to any many weather special attackers. For this reason Curse Lax fits best in weather-less balanced teams, imo.

After walling all those stuff, it can either start boosting with Curse or fire off a Body Slam on the incoming fighters, such as Terrakion, possibly paralyzing them, and screwing them for the rest of the match. After the strong physical attackers and the physical walls have been eliminated from the opponent's side, Snorlax is very hard to stop, as even at +1 every non fighting-type poke struggles to OHKO. CB Haxorus is the only non-fighting poke that comes close to ohkoing Snorlax after a boost, doing 85.49 - 100.76% (6.25% chance to ohko). This is a super effective 120 BP attack from a CB poke with 147 Base Attack... This speaks for itself!

The set i have been using is 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature, and a moveset of Curse / Body Slam / EQ / Rest. Curse is obvious, while Body Slam is the best option by far, as it allows Snorlax to cripple all those strong physical attackers that want to abuse Snorlax in the early game. Unless someone shows some important ohkoes that Return gets vs some important targets, i think that Body Slam should be alone in the 2nd slot and Return should go to AC. For the third move i prefer EQ, so i can quickly dispose of Heatran, Tyranitar and Terrakion if i need to, as well as counter non-Psyshock CM Jirachi's in rain. Fire Punch is nice move to hit Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress and Skarmory, but those mons are generally way less threatening than the ones that EQ hits, and you should already have something else to take care of the hazards setters, as Snorlax's main job is to wall special attackers and attempt a sweep late game, not trying to eliminate hazard setters on the switch. But anyway both deserve to be in the 3rd slot, but i think that EQ should be slashed first. Then Rest goes in the last slot, to give Snorlax a way of recovery, and allow him to sweep late-game, when everything that hits hard from the physical side is eliminated, so that you can actually stall out the sleep turns. Max HP and SpD are a must imo, as Snorlax's main role is to wall speciall attackers, and the physical side is going to be boosted anyway.

As far as teammates go, pokes to handle all the strong physical attackers that Snorlax attracts are a must. Heal Bell support i also a godsend for Snorlax, and makes him so much more effective. For those reasons physically defensive Celebi is one of the best partners for Snorlax, as it cehcks/counters most fighters, while also providing Heal Bell support. Slowbro is no slouch either, as he can eat any fighter for breakfast, as well as check any physical dragon.

I will be adding some logs of Curse Lax in action day by day... Here is what i have so far:

Tofuman joined.
alexwolf joined.
Format: OU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
alexwolf's team: Kingdra / Xatu / Snorlax / Slowbro / Scizor / Celebi
Tofuman's team: Sawsbuck / Keldeo-Resolution / Heatran / Gastrodon / Dragonite / Volcarona
Battle between Tofuman and alexwolf started!
Tofuman sent out Sawsbuck!
alexwolf sent out Snorlax!
Turn 1

alexwolf called Snorlax back!
alexwolf sent out Scizor!
The foe's Sawsbuck used Agility!
The foe's Sawsbuck's Speed sharply rose!
Turn 2

The foe's Sawsbuck used Return!
It's not very effective... Scizor lost 34% of its health!
The foe's Sawsbuck lost some of its HP!
Scizor used U-turn!
It's super effective! The foe's Sawsbuck lost 90% of its health!
The foe's Sawsbuck fainted!
alexwolf called Scizor back!
alexwolf sent out Kingdra!
Inactive players will forfeit in 180 seconds. (requested by alexwolf)
Tofuman sent out Gastrodon!
Turn 3

alexwolf called Kingdra back!
alexwolf sent out Celebi!
The foe's Gastrodon used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! Celebi lost 35% of its health!
Celebi restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 4

Tofuman called Gastrodon back!
Tofuman sent out Heatran!
Celebi used Perish Song!
The foe's Heatran's perish count fell to 3.
Celebi's perish count fell to 3.
Turn 5

Tofuman called Heatran back!
Tofuman sent out Volcarona!
alexwolf called Celebi back!
Turn 6

Tofuman called Volcarona back!
Tofuman sent out Heatran!
Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
Turn 7

The foe's Heatran used Magma Storm!
Snorlax lost 12% of its health!
Snorlax used Earthquake!
It's super effective! The foe's Heatran lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Heatran fainted!
Snorlax restored HP using its Leftovers!
Snorlax's magmastorm ended!
Tofuman sent out Keldeo-Resolution!
Turn 8

The foe's Keldeo-Resolution used Calm Mind!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's Special Attack rose!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's Special Defense rose!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution lost 51% of its health!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 9

alexwolf called Snorlax back!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution used Secret Sword!
It's not very effective... Celebi lost 21% of its health!
Turn 10

Celebi used Perish Song!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! Celebi lost 59% of its health!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's perish count fell to 3.
Turn 11

Celebi used Recover!
Celebi regained health!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution is paralyzed! It can't move!
Celebi's perish count fell to 2.
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's perish count fell to 2.
Turn 12

Tofuman called Keldeo-Resolution back!
Turn 13

Tofuman sent out Dragonite!
Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
Turn 14

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 16% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite used Dragon Tail!
Snorlax lost 17% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 15

Tofuman: Excuse me for a moment.
alexwolf: ok
Tofuman: Ok back. Sorry, is that i went to get my breakfast
alexwolf called slow back!
The foe's Dragonite used Substitute!
The foe's Dragonite put in a substitute!
The foe's Dragonite lost 25% of its health!
Turn 16

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite's substitute took the damage!
The attack of the foe's Dragonite missed!
Turn 17

The foe's Dragonite used Roost!
The foe's Dragonite regained health!
Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
Turn 18

Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
Turn 19

The foe's Dragonite used Thunder Wave!
Celebi was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 20

Celebi is paralyzed! It can't move!
Celebi lost 17% of its health!
Turn 21

alexwolf called Xatu back!
Celebi lost 15% of its health!
Turn 22

alexwolf sent out slow (Slowbro)!
slow was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 23

slow used Psychic!
The foe's Dragonite's substitute faded!
slow lost 16% of its health!
Turn 24

Turn 25

haunter joined.
Celebi used Recover!
Celebi regained health!
Celebi lost 18% of its health!
Turn 26

haunter left.
Tofuman called Dragonite back!
Turn 27

Celebi used Perish Song!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution used Calm Mind!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's Special Attack rose!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's Special Defense rose!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's perish count fell to 3.
Turn 28

Celebi used Giga Drain!
It's super effective! The foe's Keldeo-Resolution lost 44% of its health!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution had its energy drained!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution is paralyzed! It can't move!
Celebi's perish count fell to 2.
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's perish count fell to 2.
Turn 29

Celebi used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! Celebi lost 62% of its health!
Celebi's perish count fell to 1.
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution's perish count fell to 1.
Turn 30

haunter joined.
haunter left.
alexwolf sent out Kingdra!
Tofuman called Keldeo-Resolution back!
Turn 31

Turn 32

haunter joined.
Celebi used Recover!
Celebi regained health!
Celebi lost 16% of its health!
Turn 33

haunter left.
Turn 34

Celebi lost 16% of its health!
Turn 35

Turn 36

slow lost 17% of its health!
Turn 37

Xatu used U-turn!
A critical hit! It's not very effective... The foe's Dragonite lost 5% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite used Substitute!
The foe's Dragonite put in a substitute!
The foe's Dragonite lost 25% of its health!
Turn 38

haunter joined.
alexwolf: Parashuffling Dnite is so useless
haunter left.
slow used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! The foe's Dragonite's substitute faded!
slow lost 16% of its health!
Turn 39

alexwolf: does literlly nothing
Tofuman: Good for you, princess.
Celebi used Recover!
Celebi regained health!
Celebi lost 17% of its health!
Turn 40

alexwolf: and i am not talking about only my team
alexwolf: but whatever
Tofuman sent out Gastrodon!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Gastrodon lost 37% of its health!
The foe's Gastrodon was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
The foe's Gastrodon restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 41

Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
The foe's Gastrodon used Scald!
Snorlax lost 11% of its health!
Turn 42

haunter joined.
Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
The foe's Gastrodon is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 43

haunter left.
Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
The foe's Gastrodon used Scald!
Turn 44

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Gastrodon lost 88% of its health!
The foe's Gastrodon fainted!
Turn 45

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 50% of its health!
Snorlax lost 11% of its health!
Turn 46

Xatu used U-turn!
It's not very effective... The foe's Volcarona lost 8% of its health!
The foe's Volcarona restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 47

The foe's Volcarona used Fiery Dance!
Snorlax lost 8% of its health!
The foe's Volcarona's Special Attack rose!
Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
Turn 48

The foe's Volcarona used Hidden Power!
Snorlax lost 15% of its health!
Snorlax used Curse!
Snorlax's Attack rose!
Snorlax's Defense rose!
Snorlax's Speed fell!
Turn 49

Snorlax used Body Slam!
A critical hit! The foe's Keldeo-Resolution lost 54% of its health!
The foe's Keldeo-Resolution fainted!
Turn 50

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 44% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 51

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 43% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 52

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 41% of its health!
Turn 53

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 42% of its health!
Turn 54

Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 23% of its health!
Turn 55

Snorlax was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 46% of its health!
Turn 56

The foe's Dragonite is paralyzed! It can't move!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 40% of its health!
Turn 57

Snorlax is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 58

Snorlax used Body Slam!
A critical hit! The foe's Dragonite lost 66% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite fainted!
Turn 59

Snorlax lost 8% of its health!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Volcarona lost 83% of its health!
Turn 60

Snorlax used Earthquake!
The foe's Volcarona lost 24% of its health!
The foe's Volcarona fainted!
alexwolf won the battle!
Ladder updating...
Tofuman's rating: 1134 → 1137
(-5 for losing, +8 from bonus pool)
alexwolf's rating: 1751 → 1752
(+1 for winning)
Tofuman: gg
Tofuman left.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Posting to agree with PK Gaming.

Please axe every set BAR Choice Band. I honestly believe that its really the best option Snorlax has in this current metagame, and its other sets are mediocre at best.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bad to see CurseLax go, as it was a very solid mon when i used it, as long as you knew WHY to use it. It is one of the few mons that can counter Volcarona without getting trapped by Dugtrio, while also checking Venusaur like a boss after something takes the Sleep Power. All in all it was a very solid mon to use in a sun team (countering Lati@s is amazing for Sun teams too), or in a weatherless team that wanted something to handle Sun (which most weatherless teams have problem with). Imo it is not worth using in Sand, because it takes aways your only means of recovery outside of Rest, and in Rain you can't really wall all those double STAB special water moves flying around.

My problem with CBLax being the only set, is that not all players would want an offensive Snorlax, as many balanced and stall weather-less or sun teams would love the defensive variant.

Anyway as i don't have nor the time nor the energy to go through the effort of convincing the QC about CurseLax by providing logs and some convincing long ass posts, i may try to pass it through QC as a sole set somewhen in the future.

EDIT: Just something interesting i found... Check out how those teams (French Orgy with Belzebuth, Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, Eruption), which are the best sun teams of BW1, are swept from CurseLax (while also getting walled by him for the most part ) once just one poke goes down (CBNite in Eruption, CB Terrakion in Stone Cold's team), or even with zero pokes down in the case of the French Orgy team. No other poke can do this to Sun teams, and is the main reason why CurseLax deserves a set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)