1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Snowy Destruction

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Dragonfruit, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Dragonfruit

Dragonfruit

Snowy Destruction
    [​IMG]
    Get ready for the ride of your life. >:)
    It will be cold and harsh.
    Prepare for the worst.
    You'll need a heavy jacket for this team.

Hello people of Smogon. Today, I would like to introduce my most prized team, Snowy Destruction. With the release of BW2, Kyurem gained an invaluable move of Earth Power. I knew I wanted to use it until my heart's content. So for this reason, I built a very offensive hail team designed to destroy the current metagame of Drizzle. Many potent Ice-type Pokemon gain an amazing anti-metagame move known as Ice Shard, which demolishes the genies. I'm not one to ladder, but I was able to reach about 1420 with this team (on Pokemon Online), convincing me that it needs work. That's where Smogon comes in! Hopefully you guys can help me improve the team as a whole so I can continue to climb up the ladder and maybe even enter a tournament with this team. I'm not exactly sure how to format an RMT, so I'll go with what other people do.

A Quick Look
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Many of the sets on these Pocket Monsters are rarely or never seen. This adds to a surprise factor as well as making it hard for your opponent to predict anything. I also have custom EV spreads to help out against new big threats, so look out for those.

Digging Deeper

[​IMG]

Abomasnow (M) @ Expert Belt Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Shard
    - Wood Hammer
    - Earthquake
    - Focus Punch

From first glance, you may think this set is rather unorthodox or even flat out stupid. However, I trick you not, it has a purpose. Abomasnow is an absolute (snow)monster at taking out other weather inducers. Wood Hammer, with an expert belt, OHKO's both defensive Politoed and Tyranitar. Earthquake OHKOs defensive Ninetales after Stealth Rock, and flat out OHKOs offensive variants. Ice Shard is simply amazing priority that hits many things in the metagame. Focus Punch is probably really odd to you, but it's magical. Politoed 9/10 switches out of Abomasnow, and if they have a Ferrothorn, it's coming in. This is why unprotected Focus Punch can be a huge help to this team. Expert Belt Focus Punch does 75% to 91% to standard Ferrothorn, allowing Earthquake to KO the next turn. The usage of Expert Belt also helps here. If you want to play safe 1st turn against Politoed, a good choice would be going straight for Wood Hammer. Assume they switch into Ferrothorn. With Iron Barbs, it's revealed that you're not holding Leftovers, so the common assumption is that you're choiced. The opponent will feel safe going straight for hazards thinking it's safe, only to get slammed by a Focus Punch. I guess you didn't enjoy the ride >:) The EVs in Attack are to maximize power. I put enough speed in Abomasnow to outspeed 4 Spe Politoed. This also helps scout Politoed's set. If rain gets set up 1st, you can assume it's an offensive Politoed (which makes it likely to carry Focus Blast). More Speed isn't needed, so I dumped the rest into HP.

[​IMG]
    Kyurem @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 16 HP / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Blizzard
    - Earth Power
    - Draco Meteor
    - Focus Blast

Kyurem is the main member of my team as well as complete and utter powerhouse. Nobody can be ready for this ride. >:) I'm quite meticulous about EV spreads, so I make sure not to waste any. Since Kyurem is relatively slow, I knew a Timid nature was not worth investing for. Instead, a Modest nature makes sure it destroys absolutely everything in its path. The Speed EVs given allow Kyurem to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine as well as other threats like Feraligatr or Chandelure (and everything below). The rest is dumped into HP. Blizzard is usually the go-to move (even though Draco Meteor is 20 BP more powerful) because it has no hindering effects. Earth Power takes out Jirachi and Heatran that are both known to wall Kyurem. Focus Blast is there just in case I need to demolish a Ferrothorn outside of hail. I'm not sure if I should replace it with Dragon Pulse (or even Ice Beam). Blizzard is abnormally strong and nothing wants to switch into it. There's nothing more to say. (Jirachi takes like 35%)

[​IMG]
    Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Roar

Again, I'm using a rather unseen and unorthodox set, but it's for the better. Originally, I started out with the offensive Air Balloon set, but it didn't ride well >:). So I changed to a specially defensive RestTalking set. I'm sure you can see why. With Tornadus-T running all over the place, Heatran serves as a somewhat reliable check to it. Rest allows me to switch into as many Hurricanes or Draco Meteors as I want and shrug it off like nothing hit me. That's just how I ride. >:) Heatran is also extremely very valuable to pretty much every Hail team considering it absorbs fire types aimed at Abomasnow as well as checks Scizor. Heatran always plays a huge role on this team and is extremely valuable. Roar helps rack up residual damage from Stealth Rock and Hail while Lava Plume can burn incoming physical attackers.

[​IMG]
    Starmie @ Ice Gem
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Thunderbolt
    - Blizzard
    - Hydro Pump

You're probably questioning my sanity by now, but hear me out. With 3 Stealth Rock weak Pokemon, I obviously needed a spinner. I considered Tentacruel, but it was weak and couldn't handle the ride >:). Starmie provides excellent speed and decent power as well as amazing coverage. Ice Gem serves MANY purposes on this team. It's simply a great item. I originally applied an Ice Gem after messing around with EVs and discovered that with Blizzard, it has a high chance of OHKOing offensive DD Dragonite WITH MULTISCALE ACTIVE. That's a pretty huge feat for base 100 Special Attack and a non-STAB coverage move. It also does about 75% to defensive Latias, meaning with hail damage, it has a chance to OHKO after it switches into a Hydro Pump. I'm just getting started. Next, it feigns the choice item, which can be crucial for Starmie. Faking a choice item makes Spinning with such a frail Pocket Monster considerably easier. It's even more useful with Starmie's massive coverage options. It also scores nasty KOs on Pocket Monsters like Celebi (which switches in on Thunderbolt or Hydro Pump). Starmie is very valuable both offensively and speed-wise.

[​IMG]
    Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock
    - Superpower
    - Earthquake

Mamoswine has become one of the most used Pocket Monster in BW2 due to the increase in usage of the genies. However, it simply rocks my socks. Mamoswine has a humungous base attacking stat with a STAB priority move, making it one of the biggest threats on my team. People are starting to use Jolly to outspeed and OHKO Technician Breloom with Ice Shard, but I definitely appreciate the extra power that is brought through Adamant. There's a chance that Jolly Mamoswine cannot even OHKO Tornadus-T AFTER STEALTH ROCKS! I find that absurd and it's not up to my standards. Mamoswine is my physical powerhouse and needs all the attack he can get. Unless there's another reason to use Jolly, I wouldn't bother. I do have Stealth Rock on Mamoswine even when I have Heatran, which limits me from having a strong Ice STAB (like Icicle Crash or Icicle Spear). I find myself rarely using a strong Ice STAB, and since Mamoswine often forces switches, getting Stealth Rock up isn't usually a problem. There's not much to explain about Mamoswine except for the fact that he's strong as shit. He also adds to my collection of priority, which makes this team so hard to set up on.

[​IMG]
    Breloom (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
    - Mach Punch
    - Low Sweep
    - Spore
    - Bullet Seed

Breloom has turned out to be possibly the most important member of my team. Being able to revenge kill the biggest threat to this team, Infernape, is extremely desirable. I made my own EV spread based on the fact that Breloom is Choice Banded. 252 Attack and Adamant + Choice Band and Technician powers up Mach Punch to the point that it OHKOs or 2HKOs anything that does not resist it. It's usually my go-to move and it conveniently knocks out the Steel types that take Blizzards and Draco Meteors from Kyurem. It's often my late game sweeping move as well as insta-threat-remover. I do run Spore on a choiced set, which may seem weird, but it comes in handy when I need something asleep at that moment. I'm thinking of replacing it for Stone Edge. Bullet Seed is the monster that takes everything for a ride >:). It pretty much will OHKO anything that doesn't resist it, including Gliscor (if you get 5 hits) or Landorus-T (even after Initimidate!). Last, but definitely not least (the opposite in fact), Low Sweep. Low Sweep is pretty much the crux of this Choice Band set, especially with the EVs I calculated. If didn't know already, Low Sweep is a 60 BP (hello Technician boost!) move that always lowers the opposing Pocket Monster's Speed after getting hit. With 232 Spe, I'm able to outspeed Timid natured base 110 Speed Pokemon (Lati@s) and everything below after a Low Sweep. Similarly, Low Sweep 2HKOs Latios, meaning it absolutely CANNOT switch into my Breloom. Latias is 2HKOd after 2 switches into Stealth Rock, meaning it won't be alive for long. This forces pressure onto your opponent since many checks they try to switch in will get their Speed reduced, allowing me to attack once again. Breloom has become the MVP of the team even when I based it around my newfound interest in Kyurem.

Conclusion
    I'm not much of a ladder person myself, but out of boredom, I have reached about 1420. It also showed my increasing weaknesses to many Pocket Monsters (ESPECIALLY INFERNAPE). I was hoping with some guidance from Smogon University, I could build a better and more balanced team that could threaten many top teams today. I feel an offensive team like this has potential and want advice to strengthen it even further. Thanks for reading! I'd also like to take this time to give a public apology to Gamester. I finally realized why you cared so much about making RMTs. These take a lot of work and while I was writing, I had some pride in my team. If my team had gotten that far, I would have definitely done the same. I am deeply sorry for what I said. With that said, I'll finally end it.

Importable (open)

Abomasnow (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
    - Ice Shard
    - Wood Hammer
    - Earthquake
    - Focus Punch

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 16 HP / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Blizzard
    - Earth Power
    - Draco Meteor
    - Focus Blast

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock
    - Superpower
    - Earthquake

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Roar

Starmie @ Ice Gem
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Thunderbolt
    - Blizzard
    - Hydro Pump

Breloom (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
    - Mach Punch
    - Low Sweep
    - Spore
    - Bullet Seed

2. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene (◕‿◕✿)
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Hey. This is a cool hail team, but I feel that sun teams could give you many problems. HP Ground Volcarona, one of the sweepers often seen on sun teams, seems to be your biggest threat, seeing how it can enter the field against 4 of your team members (Abomasnow, Kyurem, Heatran, Breloom), set up one Quiver Dance, and proceed to break through your team. To deal with it more effectively, I'd recommend replacing either Mamoswine or Breloom (depending on which you like least) with a Scarfed Terrakion. This gives you an excellent Volcarona revenge killer and a secondary answer to sun and sand teams. Other than that, I can't say much else. If you end up replacing Mamoswine, be sure to make your Heatran the standard specially defensive variant.

Set:
    [​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
    Jolly Nature | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Close Combat | Stone Edge | X-Scissor | Earthquake

I don't have much else to say, so good luck with your team!
  3. Shining_Latios

Shining_Latios

Hey cool team you have here, I like that Starmie. However, due to the huge Infernape weakness, I suggest changing Starmie over to Tentacruel. Tentacruel can take a Close Combat and a Fire Blast like it's nothing and KO back with Scald. Tentacruel is also great because you still have the Rapid Spin traits like Starmie. Although you do lose some offensive spark by switching over, Tentacruel really does help patch up the weakness. The combination of hazards + rapid spin + patching up the Infernape weakness, makes Tentacruel ideal for this team. With Stealth Rock up, Mamoswine OHKO's every Dragonite variant with Ice Shard, so Dragonite shouldn't be too hard to deal with.

Tentacruel (open)

[​IMG]
    Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Defense / 16 Speed
    Bold Nature
    Moves:
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Protect / Ice Beam

Toxic Spikes will help cripple the opponent's Pokemon. Scald is the STAB move here and also provides a 30% chance of burn which can definitely be useful. Rapid Spin is pretty obvious. Protect is to scout moves. If you feel you are having trouble with Dragonite though, definitely use Ice Beam instead. Hope I helped.
  4. bubbly

bubbly

Hey, nice team, and pretty different from my Hail and some of the versions other people have posted, so kudos for that.

The main problems you have are Fighting types, and Sun teams to a lesser extent. Breloom and Keldeo both rip you apart; Terrakion is checked better by Starmie + Breloom but still a big problem. You can handle some Sun teams fairly well, but half the Sun on the ladder uses Dugtrio to remove Heatran, leaving you very open to a Volcarona sweep or similar.

Anyway, I'm trying to think of a way of covering these threats which doesn't turn it into my Hail build lol. The only way I can see is to use a Specs Latios in place of your Kyurem, which gives you a solid check to Breloom and Keldeo while doing better against Sun. You lose the ability to spam that Blizzard but I think overall the change would be beneficial.
  5. Jimbon

Jimbon fools and worthless liars
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi there!

This is a pretty well built Hail Team you have here, I love the use of Ice Gem Starmie. However I do see some weaknesses to certain threats like others have pointed out, such as Offensive Volcarona, Choice Band Breloom and things such as Latios, who has no problem dishing out powerful hits on a lot of your team members. You also seem a little weak to Sun Teams, Heatran is easily trapped by Dugtrio, and Volcarona and Chlorophyll abusers can easily start causing trouble for your team. Given that you have so much reliance on Heatran, I think you might want to keep it around for as long as possible. This may be an odd suggestion, but I think you should try Shed Shell > Leftovers on Heatran. Shed Shell allows you to escape from Dugtrio, which is one of the only common answers to Heatran on Sun Teams. Whie Leftovers is nice, you already have Rest and Shed Shell seemingly does a lot more for your team. Given that Heatran is your main special wall, you will need to keep it alive for as long as possible to help against hard hitting Special Attackers, most importantly Lati@s and Venusaur. If you can keep Heatran alive, you have a much better answer to Sun Teams, arguably one of the biggest threats to your team.

Additionally, if you're still having troubles with Volcarona, there is an alternative way you could help to deal with it. Trying out Stone Edge on either Mamoswine or Breloom does seem like the best idea. Given that these are two Pokemon that don't commonly run Stone Edge, you can catch Volcarona off guard as it tries to Quiver Dance in your face. Those running Hidden Power [Ground] look very difficult to stop after a couple boosts, just something to consider.

Solid team, hope I helped!
  6. Dragonfruit

Dragonfruit

@ Trinitrotoluene
    Okay hi.
    . Don't ever rate my team again.
    I don't think you understand Breloom or Mamoswine's roles on this team being powerful priority users.
    Um if you didn't know, Volcarona outspeeds Terrakion at +2, meaning I have to switch Terrakion in while it Quiver Dances. I know what you're thinking, *Terrakion resists both of FireBug's STABs!* HELLO NOPE SORRY IT HAS HIDDEN POWER GROUND. Terrakion is thus not safe switching into HIDDEN POWER GROUND VOLCARONA. Everyone's beginning to run ScarfRakion, so it's very predictable when it comes in. That's when it gets slammed by an HP Ground. Think it through before you give suggestions. Also, if I don't switch Terrakion in when it Quiver Dances, it's going to be able to outspeed Terrakion when it comes in. That is all.

@ Shining Latios
    Please learn a bit more about the metagame and game mechanics before telling me to replace Starmie. Tentacruel is often one of the most common checks to Infernape, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY IT RUNS EARTHQUAKE.
    HELLO DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS IS A HAIL TEAM? I don't even GET LEFTOVERS RECOVERY after getting hit by hail. Dude. Come on. Also why didn't you suggest a Tentacruel that outspeeds Technician Breloom, since Starmie is also my check to that? Give it enough speed as well as BLIZZARD since this is a HAIL TEAM to outspeed and OHKO it. You didn't help.

@ Bubbly
    I actually have to agree with you here, in a way. Replacing Latios with Kyurem gives me another powerful hitter and covers another fire and fighting weakness, so I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks!

@ Jimbon
    THANK YOU! You understand that Heatran is a massively good Volcarona counter! (none of that HP ground stuff...). Shed Shell is definitely a good idea since most sun teams with Volcarona use Dugtrio to eliminate Heatran. Thus, they have no need for HP Ground. I never thought of such an item.
    I guess smarts can't go for long, though, since I have Heatran with max Sp. Def to deal with Latios. It can live a Surf, allowing me to switch into Kyurem or Abomasnow to take the next one. Think before posting random threats that aren't even threats.
    Stone Edge is not worth it as Earthquake OHKOs after Rocks and without rocks, it is weak enough to die to a Mach Punch from Breloom. I do think I am going to replace Spore for Stone Edge on Breloom since being locked into Spore is stupid and sometimes messes me up.
    I seriously lost all faith in humanity. Good day.
  7. Gamester

Gamester

First off this a pretty cool hail team actually. I dig the unique sets. I really like Choice Band Breloom on this team.

If you do change Heatran's item to shed shell the only thing that will be a a big threat on sun is opposing heatran with earth power and well-played darmanitan's (and lol hp ground volcarona) but you can revenge both with breloom at-least. To help out with this slightly you might just try chesto-rest heatran and that way you'll free up a moveslot for earth power or something else useful.

I like the ice gem on starmie but without life orb or expert belt starmie isn't strong enough to get past jellicent forcing you to deal with annoying rocks I don't know how big of an issue it's been but you could run grass knot which can break through Jellicent because I only really imagine thunderbolt being used for gyarados who will kill at +1 anyways and for nado-I if anyone is running that. Overall though it's not like Jellicent is that big of an issue so I probably wouldn't bother but it's just something to consider.

However the biggest threat to your team I can see (it's also the bane of many teams) is SD lorb Scizor which can 1hko every member of your team after a boost + sr damage. This is kind of hard to stop without greatly increasing heatran's speed and also perhaps using HP fire on abomasnow over focus punch to also hit ferro hard and kill scizor who would try to set up on abomasnow.

Overall nice team gj.

also maybe try to be a little nicer to people lol.
  8. xXBigBangXx

xXBigBangXx

Why even ask for a rmt if you're just going to reply back to people who give constructive critism so rudely like seriously over pokemon too :/ get a life bro
  9. Delko

Delko "ghost mod"
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

The above user is correct:
    Be nice ;)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)