So hey. Wow. Another warstory. [Athens]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet! A hometown regional! I'm Aiya (or Kyler, if you prefer) and this is my Athens regional warstory.

Last year was my first experience with VGC and I placed top 4 in Atlanta and 53rd at Nats using a sun team. Since then, I've learned a thing or two and maybe actually somewhat almost know what the hell I'm doing. Probably.

I really enjoy team-building and started tossing around ideas as soon as the rules were announced last September. There were just so many possibilities and I really didn't know where to begin. Random GBU battles, as well as these forums, helped me a lot in learning what people were using, but it was still pretty overwhelming having to learn about so many "new" Pokémon.

I ended up attending the Orlando regional in November where I finished 14th with a mixed rain team after Blades knocked me out of the top 4. But the trip ended up paying off anyway as my return flight was overbooked and I was awarded two sets of round-trip tickets for taking the next flight. (Nationals here I come!)

So after that, I resolved to be better prepared for the spring regional and started play-testing a lot of different teams on the GBU. I eventually came up with my final team about 5 weeks ago, after deciding I wanted to play something "fun" in Athens.

My Team
At a glance:

Specifics (nicknames are themed after The Beatles, for those wondering):

Ob-La-Di (Aron) (F) @ Berry Juice
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: --
Quirky Nature
- Endeavor
- Toxic
- Double Team
- Protect

The backbone of my team. Nothing too new here: Endeavor like hell and Protect when I know I'll be double targeted. Annoying as hell if played right but it has its weaknesses. I gave him Double Team as a sort of Hail Mary move just in case I needed to stall, but I think I only used it once in the tourney.

Revolver (Cassie's Tyranitar) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick
- Protect

Standard is standard. Sash > Chople Berry. Sand damage + Aron = fun times.

theWalrus (Cassie's Hitmontop) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Feint

I used a LO Technitop in Orlando and loved it (Fake Out + Sucker Punch = one dead Latios). I needed Intimidate for this team though so I switched up the ability and moves. Feint is very underrated and is amazing for finishing off Endeavored 'mons; I'm pretty sure it won me my first match. 12 Spd EVs for Fake Out creeping~

LovelyRita (Dusclops) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Confuse Ray

My primary Trick Roomer. She's nearly impossible to OHKO and is beyond annoying if left alive for long. Shadow Sneak because priority is wonderful outside of TR. Will-O-Wisp unmans any physical threats and provides a much-needed damage-over-time bonus that Aron can take advantage of. Most people seem to underestimate the power of sand + burn damage. I originally had Foresight over Confuse Ray to Endeavor ghosts, but it didn't see much use so I went with the very annoying yet useful CR.

RubberSoul (Reuniclus) (M) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 172 HP / 88 Def / 192 SAtk / 56 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Safeguard
- Protect

My secondary/anti-Taunt Trick Roomer and answer to Spore. Immune to sand. EV'd to survive an un-boosted Tyranitar Crunch or Chandelure Shadowball. I didn't use him at all in the tourney though.

Mr.Postman (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Curse
- Protect

Obligatory Ferrothorn because I love him so. Immune to sand. EVs aren't anything special, I just wanted a bit more SpD. Curse is incredible. Kill it if you can.

Onward

I woke up pretty early for a Sunday and made the hour-long drive to Athens, arriving at the Classic Center just after 9:00. There were already a lot of people there and I was really excited to see that the turnout was much better than it had been in Orlando. The atmosphere reminded me a lot more of how Atlanta was last year, even without Nick being there. I waited in line to register for about 15 minutes, said hey to Crow350 and then, good-to-go, set to some last-minute prepping.

After about 45 minutes they posted the competitor list and there were 194 Masters competing: Woo! 8 rounds!

Game 1 vs. Jonathan Peters (I think.. his character ID was from Ohio)
vs.

He seemed like a pretty friendly guy. I loved his Chandelure and told him so.

The video of the match can be found here, and is much better than me writing it all out.

As you can see, I misplayed on the first turn. I even originally had Sucker Punch selected over Fake Out and then cancelled it. Bleh, I was nervous. I'm just glad my Dusclops ran max HP or she would have been one dead ghost. Things got a little better from there though. Fun fact: 'Clops Shadow Sneak breaks a Chandelure Sub! And ya, Aron got THREE Endeavors off.. such a little beastie.

Win: 2-0 (1-0)

Game 2 vs. Kenneth "DoctorKen2k" Wright
vs.

We talked some before and during the match and Ken is a cool guy. It's always nice to play against someone with skill who isn't also super-serious during a match.

I lead with Dusclops and Hitmontop against his Jellicent and Politoed. I correctly predict the Water Spout and KO his Jelli with Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch before he can get it off, while his 'Toed Surfs my guys for so-so damage. He brings in his Toxicroak and I set up Trick Room and switch out my 'Top for Tyranitar. Stuff happens like Rain Dance and Cross Chop and such, and much more switching occurs on both sides. I get some great predictions where I double-target the right 'mon as his other protects, but Toxicroak WILL NOT DIE. It comes down to his Toxicroak and Latios vs. my Ferrothorn and Tyranitar, but time runs out and I win the HP tie-breaker. Good game and respect to Team Gun-Leo.

Win: 2-2 (2-0)

Game 3 vs. Gregory Packett
vs.

Greg was really cool and seemed to know what he was doing. He said his son was playing in Seniors and we talked for a good while after the match about different strats.

I assume he'll lead with Infernape so I lead 'Clops and 'Top again for Intimidate. I was right and he sends out 'Nape and Hydreigon. I take advantage of the obvious Fake Out and switch out 'Top for Tyranitar so that sand will break his sash, and go for Trick Room with 'Clops. His Hydreigon uses Dark Pulse and gets the flinch. Dammit. So now 'Clops is at 45% or so and I've got a sashed Tyranitar. I think it's pretty obvious that he'll Dark Pulse again and Close Combat Ttar so I decide to leave Ttar in and Low Kick the dragon. Right again! Ttar lives with sash and OHKOs Hydreigon, and I swap in 'Top to avoid the KO on Dusclops. He sends in Eelektross. Next turn I protect on Ttar and KO his Infernape with a Close Combat, and I think Eelektross Thunderbolts or something to kill my 'Top.. I don't remember. Anyways, now he has a full HP Abomanow and Eelektross left. Stuff happens (my memory is fail) and I end up killing Abomasnow with Low Kick + Shadow Sneak. Eelektross kills my 'Clops and the hail finishes off Ttar so now it's full HP/item Aron vs. Eelektross and that's GG. Thank you very much hail.

Win 1-0 (3-0)

Game 4 vs. Jerry "PokeMaster366" Woods III
vs.

Nice guy. I think I remember him from the finalist's lounge last year in Atlanta.

I really don't remember too much about the match. I know he spammed Earthquake a lot with Hippowdon and Aron managed to kill his Cress before it could mess things up too bad (but it did manage to reverse my TR). I kept mis-predicting and wasting turns with failed Sucker Punches on Zapdos (I REALLY wanted that thing dead, knowing I had Ferrothorn in the back).. It came down to his low HP Zapdos and full HP Escavalier vs. my Aron and Full HP Ferrothorn. I misplayed on Aron twice though, wasting a turn on Protect and then using Toxic when I should have Endeavored. I also lucked out when his Heat Wave missed my Ferro. But his Escavalier Bug Gem + Mega Horned my Ferrothorn down to 40% just before time ran out. I lost to the tie breaker. Oh well, I should have played better.

Loss 0-1 (3-1)

Game 5 vs. Javier "Nightwalkr" Martinez
vs.

I swear everyone I played was really chill for once. Javier had an interesting team and maybe that + my fresh loss threw me off but my predictions in this match were horrible.

He led with Kingdra and an Imprison/Rain Dance Gardevoir, and I sent out my usual 'Clops/'Top combo. I over-predicted and didn't Trick Room turn one and he began to ruin me with Imprison and rain-boosted Surf spam. In the end it came down to my Hitmontop at 5% HP and Aron vs. his Murkrow and a half-HP Gengar. I knew I needed to Sucker Punch the Gengar to get the win, and the opportunity actually presented itself but I over-predicted and messed it up, letting my 'Top die to Sucker Punch. I also decided to go pro and used Toxic on Gengar because I'm so smart with remembering typings. Go me. Time runs out and of course he wins because Aron can't touch Gengar. Fail.

Loss 1-1 (3-2)

Game 6 vs. Kyle Mullin
vs.

He seemed nice enough. We chatted before the match about our favorite Pokémon and we both agreed that Ghost and Grass are the best types. When the battle began he commented on my shinies.

He led with Gastrodon and Latios, and I sent out my usual lead. I killed Latios turn one with a combo of Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch, and his Gastrodon spammed Muddy Water for like 3-4 turns until I finally killed it. I know that when it died it was both burned and confused. I confused everything I could and played well my role of being supremely annoying. Aron took care of business, Endeavoring both his Metagross and his Rotom-W after Close Combat had used up its Sitrus Berry. My team is so much fun! This was the easiest win of the day for me.

After the battle he called for a hack check. Of course I passed, but I don't really blame him for being concerned. We shook hands afterward.

Win 2-0 (4-2)

Game 7 vs. Matthew "Killah" Carlson
vs.

The coolest guy I played all day, hands down.. PONIES!!

Thankfully, he saved the match and you can watch it here.

I played so bad! Haha, I'm actually kind of embarrassed. I assumed he would Follow Me and maybe Trick Room on the first turn but I was wrong. Then on turn two I was again looking for the Follow Me but it never came. (Sorry again about that double flinch, BTW.) I'm not sure what the deal was with the random double Trick Room either.. my mind was gone. I wanted to burn Conkeldurr so bad but I was afraid of Guts (which he wasn't even running) and that cost me dearly. And I have no clue why I protected after sending out Aron.. I had no reason to AT ALL. My last hope of winning was to get a second double flinch at the end but it didn't happen. Oh well~

Here's a random pic of Applejack, in honor of the Conkeldurr that kicked my team's ass:

Loss 2-0 (4-3)

Game 8 vs. Alexander Paez
vs.

At this point nothing really mattered because we both knew we were nowhere near the top. Before the battle we joked about the worst-case-scenario of losing and having a 4-4 record. Lolz.

Anyway, usual leads blah blah.. he leads with the expected Mienshao and Porygon2. I switch to Ttar on the Fake Out then he U-Turns with Mienshao and brings out Scizor. I burn and confuse EVERYTHING. No, really.. every single one of his Pokémon are burned AND confused by the end. God, I love my team.. He paralyzes my 'Top and gets a double full para and then a KO with the Acrobatics Gliscor. Doesn't matter. All his attackers are burned and hitting themselves. I win. We both laugh. GG. Time to go home.

Win 2-0 (5-3)

--

The final round ends and I learn that Harrison pulled off the win. Good. He deserved it.. even if he did go all day without encountering a single Cresselia.

Shortly after, the final standings are posted and I'm near the top of the 5-3s at 31st place. Not too shabby I guess. I'm satisfied.

See you guys at Nationals!

Props:
TPCI for hosting these great events and for continuously striving to make them even better.
Cassie for being awesome and for giving me my Tyranitar and Hitmontop.. they served me well.
Harrison for winning the tournament and not getting second place again, and also for keeping me company between rounds.
Playing so many cool people from Smogon.
Not seeing a single Amoonguss or Breloom all day.
My Ob-La-Di, for inspiring me to have fun.

Slops:
No top cut.
Mis-predictions.
Gengar.
Not winning a cool trophy thing.

I'm starting to see that Lv. 1 Aron, more specifically Sand teams dominated the competition in Athens, I didn't do so well, but I hope to see you at Nationals.

Such a fun team and good read! I still don't get it though, why were there so many lvl 1 aarons?! I had a grood time hanging out with you, cya at Nationals.

Unless hail is up, Berry Juice Sturdy Aron has to be hit 3 times to KO.

It's pretty effective, but it sure does not like hail + any priority move.

Or do you mean why did so many people run it?

Great write up, and a rather interesting team as well. The Aron was actually the first I've battled since like 5 months ago, so it did scare me a bit. Also, Confuse Ray on Dusclops was pretty cool too, and actually almost threw me off for a second. Shame the team didn't get in the top cut, but at least you ranked in the top 32. That's better than I did, to say the least.

Also my other Pokémon I used was Murkrow. It outsped your Hitmontop's Sucker Punch with its own Sucker Punch to finish it off.

Props:
Not seeing a single Amoonguss or Breloom all day.
That made me laugh when I first read it, though you're not alone on the no-spore-streak. Ironically my friend ended up Trick Rooming on one and well... let's just say the match wasn't very pretty to watch, so I guess we were lucky unlike some others. Anyways, hope to see you again at the next VGC.

Thanks for the compliments! ^^

Such a fun team and good read! I still don't get it though, why were there so many lvl 1 aarons?! I had a grood time hanging out with you, cya at Nationals.
Ya, it was good talking to you.. you have some really interesting ideas. Also, you should try Aron sometime just for fun. It's such a little beast!

Also my other Pokémon I used was Murkrow. It outsped your Hitmontop's Sucker Punch with its own Sucker Punch to finish it off.
Oh, right! Thanks, I'll fix that in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)