So I Heard You Like Rain Sweepers

As a person with a personal general hatred for weather in 5th Gen. especially OU, so I'm somewhat ashamed to show this team. I don't have any stories of huge success on PO or PS, as I just started trying it out today, and found some immediate success with it. Just going to jump right into the team. One last thing..... Let me apologize in advance for the 3-4 run-on sentences that will surely be in there. Lol.​

The Team

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Damp... jk Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

Politoed for getting dat rain up. This team is basically hyper offensive, but if I didn't go with this set on Politoed I'd run the risk of losing a weather war or letting certain pokes sweep. Scald and Toxic there for obligatory supportive reasons. Protect there because I really like the ability of scouting or getting some lefties to live another hit. I could have Ice Beam, Focus Blast, or maybe even Encore there, but Protect is useful in way more situations than any of those. Perish song because it forces that sweeper out. Yep not really much to say here, but defensive Politoed is definitely the best way to get the most use out of Politoed.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Protect
- Rapid Spin

Thought for a very long time about this spot, and still am. Forretress would give a lot more utility. However, it would give the team a pretty big weakness to fire. On the other hand, they would be weakened by the rain. Toxic Spikes is also a little redundant when Politoed is carrying Toxic. Stealth Rock and Spikes support would probably do a lot for this team, make it easier for the rest of the team to clean up, but again there's that weakness to fire. Politoed wouldn't be able to do anything to Specially Defensive Ninetales or Heatran. Keldeo can take hits decently well, and then hit hard, but at the same time, I don't want Keldeo to have to take all of those hits. Especially if it's early in the game. You can see the conundrum. Definitely looking for feedback there. Other than that, it's just the standard Toxic Spikes set from Tentacruel. Felt like the team would appreciate some Rapid Spin support.

Keldeo-R @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power (Ghost)

Well, this is where this team takes a turn and becomes very offensive. As you already know, Keldeo is extremely strong in the rain, and is tough to force to switch out after just one Calm Mind, as it doesn't have to worry about being out-sped by much of anything. Even if it is out-sped there really isn't that much that can OHKO it. As for the set, I felt this was best for sweeping. I really don't have much to say about it. It's all self-explanatory. Hidden Power Ghost is exclusively for Jellicent. There isn't much else to put in that slot, so in case the opponent does have Jellicent, it can't stop the sweep cold. Substitute would probably serve much better use, but this team would have trouble getting rid of Jellicent otherwise. It would at least take some stalling on my end, and that would cause me to lose some momentum in the battle, because that's just not the style of the team.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

Some may look at Virizion as a bit of a curve-ball, but it works very well for this team. It deals with a couple of big threats to this team in Thundurus and Rotom-W. A lot of people think it's weak, but after a swords dance it CAN sweep, or at the very least give me some early-game crippling or late-game cleanup. It can also take a special hit if I need it. It's a great early-game weapon as it can cripple opponents unexpecting of being KO'd by it and if they send in that fire type. Politoed or Tentacruel will just sponge it. Curve-ball, maybe. Synergetic, yes.

Tornadus-T @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Hurricane
-U-Turn
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Ice)

Again not much explanation here. Just another extremely good sweeper. Escpecially in the rain. Hasty Nature because, things that are going to hit it physically I shouldn't be staying in against anyways. And then, hey Regenerator kicks in and makes Tornadus-T better than it already is. 129 base Speed, and 110 base Special attack is scary on this team. Not much this thing can't take care of in the rain.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-U-Turn
-Bug Buzz
-Thunder
-Ice Beam

Genesect has recently become a staple on all of my OU teams. Especially Scarf'd. Genesect works for every team well, and it works especially well on this team. It covers almost everything the team doesn't already have covered. Including Deoxys-D, Reuniclus, and it can OHKO most dragons with Ice Beam. Oh, and just as icing to the cake, it gets access to Thunder. So in the rain, it can deal massive damage to anything that's interested in taking that. Also to top it off it gets Download. Giving it the ability to possibly OHKO T-Tar, Reuniclus, Dragonite, and other bulky dragons without taking a hit.

Well, I hope you found this at least interesting. Please feel free to give any feedback.

Hey nice rain team you have here!

Ok looking at your team i noticed you don't have Stealth Rock on any pokemon. Stealth Rock is often regarded as the best move in the game because of the damage it does to Volcarona and Dragonite. Tornadus-T also looks like a big threat to your team as nothing wants to take a Choice Specs Hurricane while Latios works in a similar fashion also being dangerous when equipped with Choice Specs. With no Stealth Rock Dragonite can have his Multiscale intact easier and live a Hidden Power [Ice] from Tornadus-T and an Ice Beam from Genesect and set up Dragon Dances on them which you really don't want because Dragonite can severly weaken this team.

Because of your teams trouble in dealing with these threats and the fact that your team has no user of Stealth Rock Specially Defensive Jirachi>Virizion is a great change. Jirachi provides your team with the much needed Stealth Rock while also being able to check Tornadus-T and Latios by taking any of their shots and threatening them with paralarysis. Much like Virizion Jirachi still checks Rotom-W and stops Thunderous-T from absolutely 6-0ing your team without Virizion. To allow paralysis on both Thunderous-T and Rotom-W Body Slam is the prefered method as opposed to Thunder, despite how appealing Thunder might be you need the ability to paralyse Thunderous-T otherwise the Choice Scarf set or the Agility set outright destroys you outspeeding your whole team and having its Electric stab to abuse on your rain team. Being a Steel-Type Jirachi also helps you with Dragon Dancing Dragonites. To keep Jirachi healthy during the course of the match he has Wish which can also be used to heal some of your weakend sweepers should they get damaged throughout the match.

With Jirachi over Virizion your team seems alot less weak to its threats and you get Stealth Rock support but without Virzion your team looks quite weak to Blissey and Chansey. Also your team lacks a good wallbreaker which offensive teams usaully enjoy having to destroy walls so you can sweep their team more efficently. fortunatly for you Tornadus-T makes a good wallbreaker if you use Life Orb Tornadus-T>Choice Specs Tornadus-T Life Orb Tornadus-T is a great wallbreaker and a pokemon that can beat Chansey and Blissey 1 on 1 With a moveset of Hurricane/Taunt/Superpower/U-Turn. Tornadus-T can hurt special walls with Superpower most notaly Chansey and Blissey while also being able to use Taunt to stop walls using recovery moves as well as hazards and status moves. Tornadus-T still hits very hard with Life Orb and doesn't get worn down with the recoil due to Regenerator. Also regarding your Tornadus-T Naive>Hasty is also prefered. You say that you don't keep Tornadus-T on any physical attacker but majority of priority attacks are physical so Naive is the better option lowening special defense and boosting speed. Because with Hasty you can get ohkoe'd by a Jolly Life Orb Mamoswine's Ice Shard after Stealth Rock

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
Careful | 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 Sp Def
Stealth Rock | Body Slam | Iron Head | Wish

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb | Regenerator
Naive | 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hurricane | Superpower | Taunt | U-turn

Tl;dr
Jirachi--->Virizion

Tornadus-T
.Wallbreaker--->Choice Specs Set

~Superpowerdude

Hey there!

I think that Superpowerdude made a good decision in recommending Jirachi to your team, but other metagame threats still need to be addressed. I have a solution in the form of changing your Tentacruel that I think helps you both in terms of spinning and checking threats.

Though Toxic Spikes can be good, without a spin blocker I do not believe they earn their moveslot. Currently, any core of Jellicent+Spinner can come in and spin your T-spikes so that Jelli can waltzes in and walls you. Additionally, while you have a dragon check in Genesect, locking yourself can be a dangerous decision when teams manipulate this very situation and have a Volcarona/Magnezone/Lucario/etc in the wings. I now recommend a set that can hits Dragons and hard and lets you beat Dugtrio, which is a big deal.

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Toxic

With Toxic instead of Toxic Spikes, you will now be able to break through a Jellicent Stall core if you stay on your toes. Scald is still here to burn Ferrothorn. Icy Wind is where this set shines in killing MANY would be threats.

Scenarios: Dragonite and Salamence try to Dragon Dance against you, you Icy Wind which hurts them severely and negates speed boosts. Even if you die they are easily revenged with only attack boosts under their belts.

Dugtrio comes in after something U-Turns away from your Tenta. You Icy Wind first turn as Duggy fails to OHKO and outspeed the next turn to kill it. In rain and with SR, you can do the same thing to Tornadus-T, giving Jirachi a little more room to breath, so that Lavos Sun-type teams are more easily defended against.

All in all, I urge you to give this set a try, and at the very least switch T-Spikes for Toxic. Hope I helped, and have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)