1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

"Soft delete"

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by david stone, Jun 18, 2007.

1. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Would it be possible to have an option to make all deleted posts invisible? On threads that require constant cleaning, the first page can be rather bulky with deleted posts, so being able to just ignore those would be helpful.

Obviously, this is lower priority than a bunch of other stuff, but it's just something that would be nice. =)
  2. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

regular users already cant see them....
  3. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I think he meant mods, who have to scroll through them anyway when reading the threads.
  4. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

mekkah has the ability to physically remove posts from c&c
  5. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The purpose of soft delete is so that the mods can see which users are causing problems while still removing subpar posts from the view of the general public... so having an option to turn that off would encourage moderator laziness!

I realize it is a different situation in C and C, but yeah, just ask any supermod to clear them out if it gets to be too much.
  6. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hmm, I hadn't taken into consideration other mods deleting stuff. I'd definitely like to see those (I can remember who I've had to moderate), so perhaps this isn't the best suggestion.
  7. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Cool. I noticed I was able to do it for other forums too. Only used it for things like duplicate posts/threads though.

Actually, I think that's why we got infractions. Nonetheless, soft-delete is handy for cases like "Welcome to script manager what would you like 2 do?"...
  8. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

I like soft delete in Congregation especially, it really lets you know who's being a nuisance. Also, some posters will delete their own posts to try to pretend they never made them... but we know better.

Also, us super mods have the wonderful ability to "Physically Remove" posts, aka no trace of them is left. I usually only use this when I screw up one of my own posts and I don't catch it soon enough so it doesn't have a "last edited" tag at the bottom.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)