Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

Thanks, I thought someone mentioned the O-Power before, haven't added that yet. I have no clue how the O-Powers work exactly since I just couldn't be bothered, but I will check it out and add it to the guide!
Capture Power 3 multiplies the catch rate by 1.3 (there's no sense in using the lower level powers since they're weaker, so you may as well grind your Capture Power to level 3 before attempting any SRs). You would just have to activate the power after each reset, before interacting with the Pokemon. It does add a bit of time to each reset, but if you're using low catch rate Poke Balls, you're likely saving some time overall per successful capture. I guess it's personal preference whether you want to spend the extra effort to do that or not (IMO it's worth it). Just add a note that you can't use O-powers in Groudon/Kyogre's room in the Cave of Origin, so you have to save in the previous room.

Also, minor nitpick here, but in a lot of the Pokemon's writeups you say something like "if it survives Final Gambit, confirmed 31 in HP". A lot of the Pokemon are low enough leveled that it could be 30 or 31 with the same stat. You did mention this somewhere else in your post, but I think for the sake of clarity you should reword it to say like "if it survives, potential 31 in HP".

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Capture Power 3 multiplies the catch rate by 1.3 (there's no sense in using the lower level powers since they're weaker, so you may as well grind your Capture Power to level 3 before attempting any SRs). You would just have to activate the power after each reset, before interacting with the Pokemon. It does add a bit of time to each reset, but if you're using low catch rate Poke Balls, you're likely saving some time overall per successful capture. I guess it's personal preference whether you want to spend the extra effort to do that or not (IMO it's worth it). Just add a note that you can't use O-powers in Groudon/Kyogre's room in the Cave of Origin, so you have to save in the previous room.
Cool, adding that to the first post!

Also, minor nitpick here, but in a lot of the Pokemon's writeups you say something like "if it survives Final Gambit, confirmed 31 in HP". A lot of the Pokemon are low enough leveled that it could be 30 or 31 with the same stat. You did mention this somewhere else in your post, but I think for the sake of clarity you should reword it to say like "if it survives, potential 31 in HP".
I already covered this in the FAQ. It's just easier to say it has 31IV than to write it possibly has 31, could also be 30. And for Kygore/Groudon, stats could even be 29.

I posted some info on how to determine Lati@s' stats at level 30 on the previous page (I've quoted myself so you don't have to look). It requires entering the level 30 stats several times with different levels of EVs which you will need Super Training for to make it easiest. If you don't want to use it or don't have money for Vitamins / spare Rare Candies then you're basically stuck with having to battle against Pokemon to gain EVs. I'm sorry to say but if you were planning to take on the task of SRing it then you should have been more prepared..

So basically, enter its stats, apply a bunch of EVs and enter those stats next, repeat until the calculator gives you a definitive answer :)
Lolol thanks. And yes, you're totally right in that I was unprepared. I usually just take it to the IV judge and/or use rare candies, but it didn't cross my mind that I wouldn't have either or at least not many rare candies. What I ended up doing (I think this works) was using the large training bags for each stat because they give 12 each, so if the IV is 31, it should go up by one point, right? Partly why I'm confused is because if you simply need to add 12 EVs to each stat to see if it will go up by 1 point to verify 31 IV, why bother with rare candies that are frankly hard to come by?

And Buckert I actually read everything from your FAQ before I posted the first time and I didn't see any info about how to verify the IVs at that point in the game. I've never used anything other than that IV judge you mention that also appears in previous games, so that's why I needed some help.

Last edited:

Buckert

Lolol thanks. And yes, you're totally right in that I was unprepared. I usually just take it to the IV judge and/or use rare candies, but it didn't cross my mind that I wouldn't have either or at least not many rare candies. What I ended up doing (I think this works) was using the large training bags for each stat because they give 12 each, so if the IV is 31, it should go up by one point, right? Partly why I'm confused is because if you simply need to add 12 EVs to each stat to see if it will go up by 1 point to verify 31 IV, why bother with rare candies that are frankly hard to come by?

And Buckert I actually read everything from your FAQ before I posted the first time and I didn't see any info about how to verify the IVs at that point in the game. I've never used anything other than that IV judge you mention that also appears in previous games, so that's why I needed some help.
Yes that's correct. And I just edited the thread today, adding more info about the preparations one should make. :)

If you want to check speed regardless of priority where the legendary has an ability that states that it has it the second the battle starts (ie pressure, air lock, etc.) try leading with a pokemon that has a similarly activating ability but has 1 less speed stat than the perfect speed iv and nature of the legendary pokemon you are trying to catch.

So that way when both pokemon enter the battle if the legendary has perfect speed ivs then its ability will activate first.
But does this apply to Air Balloon as well? Theoretically Prankster Sableye with Pain Split and an Air Balloon could check Rayquaza's HP and Speed in one turn without interference. Although in order to get PS and AB you'd have to first trade with someone who already has the Battle Resort.

Buckert

But does this apply to Air Balloon as well? Theoretically Prankster Sableye with Pain Split and an Air Balloon could check Rayquaza's HP and Speed in one turn without interference. Although in order to get PS and AB you'd have to first trade with someone who already has the Battle Resort.
Could you explain this please? I still haven't done Rayquaza yet because I haven't thought of anything to get around that ExtremeSpeed.

Could you explain this please? I still haven't done Rayquaza yet because I haven't thought of anything to get around that ExtremeSpeed.
Sableye is immune to Extreme Speed because it's a ghost. Pain Split is a status move so it gets boosted priority from Prankster, and so Sableye doesn't have to worry about getting hit by Dragon Pulse or Dragon Ascent before the HP can be determined. Theoretically, the message saying that your Pokémon is floating on a balloon when it's sent out, works like the Ability messages from Mold Breaker, etc. in that if Rayquaza is faster than your Pokémon, the Air Lock message will display before your Pokémon's message. But Air Balloon is an item and not an Ability so I don't know if it would actually work like this. If it did work, Sableye could hold an Air Balloon to determine Rayquaza's speed as well. So it would only take one turn to find both HP and Speed.

Previously, Pain Split was incompatible with Prankster Sableye because even though Sableye could learn it from the tutor in HGSS, it couldn't in B2W2 for some reason. But now Sableye once again has access to Pain Split from a tutor in the Battle Resort in ORAS. Mega Banette is another Prankster with access to Pain Split, and did not miss out on the tutor in B2W2. However, Prankster does not take effect on the turn that it Mega Evolves so it would have to use Protect on the first turn. It also has to hold Banettite, so Air Balloon wouldn't work. (If only Rayquaza held an item, Banette could come out with Frisk at the beginning to see whether it activates after Air Lock...) You need to determine Rayquaza's speed on the first turn, or else Rayquaza could use Dragon Dance.

Several other ghosts can just use Night Shade to determine Rayquaza's HP without having to worry about retaining a specific amount of HP or being hit by Extreme Speed. But, Night Shade would have to be used for several turns in a row, so it would take longer. You would also have to make sure your ghost could survive Rayquaza's attacks.

Buckert

Sableye is immune to Extreme Speed because it's a ghost. Pain Split is a status move so it gets boosted priority from Prankster, and so Sableye doesn't have to worry about getting hit by Dragon Pulse or Dragon Ascent before the HP can be determined. Theoretically, the message saying that your Pokémon is floating on a balloon when it's sent out, works like the Ability messages from Mold Breaker, etc. in that if Rayquaza is faster than your Pokémon, the Air Lock message will display before your Pokémon's message. But Air Balloon is an item and not an Ability so I don't know if it would actually work like this. If it did work, Sableye could hold an Air Balloon to determine Rayquaza's speed as well. So it would only take one turn to find both HP and Speed.

Previously, Pain Split was incompatible with Prankster Sableye because even though Sableye could learn it from the tutor in HGSS, it couldn't in B2W2 for some reason. But now Sableye once again has access to Pain Split from a tutor in the Battle Resort in ORAS. Mega Banette is another Prankster with access to Pain Split, and did not miss out on the tutor in B2W2. However, Prankster does not take effect on the turn that it Mega Evolves so it would have to use Protect on the first turn. It also has to hold Banettite, so Air Balloon wouldn't work. (If only Rayquaza held an item, Banette could come out with Frisk at the beginning to see whether it activates after Air Lock...) You need to determine Rayquaza's speed on the first turn, or else Rayquaza could use Dragon Dance.

Several other ghosts can just use Night Shade to determine Rayquaza's HP without having to worry about retaining a specific amount of HP or being hit by Extreme Speed. But, Night Shade would have to be used for several turns in a row, so it would take longer. You would also have to make sure your ghost could survive Rayquaza's attacks.
I'd like to confirm the Air Balloon part, just tested it myself. Had faster Pokémon than Rayquaza holding it, Air Balloon message showed first. After that I got a slower Pokémon holding it, Air Baloon message showed second.

Will add more info once I have more space xD

I actually have a bunch of spit back prankster sableye in my copy of pokemon X idk what their ivs are but could someone check the math on what the iv and EV training requirements are to get it to 1 stat under rayquaza's when you can catch it? Because if I have a lot more free time soon (long story that I should only be mentioning on the interwebz) I would be more than happy to breed one perfect for the job and ev train it to then have someone clone it 50 times and spread it to other cloners and give it away for free because that wonderful of a pokemon should be spread, especially if someone can successfully shiny hatch it.

I actually have a bunch of spit back prankster sableye in my copy of pokemon X idk what their ivs are but could someone check the math on what the iv and EV training requirements are to get it to 1 stat under rayquaza's when you can catch it? Because if I have a lot more free time soon (long story that I should only be mentioning on the interwebz) I would be more than happy to breed one perfect for the job and ev train it to then have someone clone it 50 times and spread it to other cloners and give it away for free because that wonderful of a pokemon should be spread, especially if someone can successfully shiny hatch it.
At level 81, a +Speed nature perfect speed IV Sableye with 236 EV's in Speed will be one point under flawless +Speed nature Rayquaza, or level 79 with full investment. I'm not quite sure how Pain Split would be used to determine HP, so can't say for that one.

Just wanted to point out again that Breloom is a LOT easier to get false swipe and spore on as well as the fact that it has a massive atk stat to make false swipes hurt a lot, and with poison heal it can least a LONG time in battle, or you could use technician breloom to have false swipe hurt even harder.

Buckert

Just wanted to point out again that Breloom is a LOT easier to get false swipe and spore on as well as the fact that it has a massive atk stat to make false swipes hurt a lot, and with poison heal it can least a LONG time in battle, or you could use technician breloom to have false swipe hurt even harder.
I'll have to see how useful that actually is, since you only use False Swipe to get Rayquaza down to 1HP, if Groudon uses rest that could also work. All the others can be done with Final Gambit, and those that have recovery moves will be Taunted against.

Anyway, this guide is almost done! I only need to write something for Deoxys and Regigigas.

Edit: Alright, the guide is now for 37/39 done. I just can't figure out how to write a guide for Deoxys and Regigigas. If you guys have any suggestions, please feel free to share. Keep in mind that you need the 3 Regis in your team when encountering Regigigas. So you only have 2 spots left for Pokémon who need to sync, check HP and check Spe.

Last edited:
Hey guys, this guide is awesome!
As an admin of one of the Pokemon communities (Russian Pokemon Community) I wanted to ask if you could allow this guide to be translated with full credit being given to you. Thanks =)

For Deoxys, a level 61 Staraptor with a +Spe nature, 31 IVs in HP and Speed, and 252 EVs in Speed has 193 HP and 202 Speed. Give it a Scarf and it outspeeds.

Level 100 Smeargle with max Speed and 232 Speed EVs hits 268 to test for neutral nature Deoxys.

For Speed+ Deoxys, Scarf Level 100 Adamant Smeargle with 31 Spe IVs and 40 Speed EV's hits 196, and 294 after Scarf. A level 80 Parasect with a +SpDef nature and max HP/SpDef EVs/IVs always survives a crit Psycho Boost, and can Spore.
0 SpA Deoxys Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect on a critical hit: 217-256 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Staraptor uses Final Gambit. If Deoxys survives, perfect HP confirmed. Free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle attempts to Spore. If it's outsped and killed, perfect speed confirmed. If it successfully hits, switch to Parasect. Spore whenever Deoxys uses any move other than Psycho Boost and use Max Potions if it takes any damage. Pray it gets caught before it runs out of PP.

A team of fainted SynchroMon, Scarf Staraptor, Scarf Smeargle, Leftovers Parasect, and a surfer would leave one slot to instantly check IVs upon capture.

Edit:
0 SpA Deoxys Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Smeargle on a critical hit: 252-297 (80.2 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You don't even need Parasect. Just use X Speed on Smeargle after it Spores and make sure it's always fully healed. It's not like Smeargle will be using any other attacks anyway.

Buckert

Hey guys, this guide is awesome!
As an admin of one of the Pokemon communities (Russian Pokemon Community) I wanted to ask if you could allow this guide to be translated with full credit being given to you. Thanks =)
Thanks! Well I'm currently still working on it, and it'll probably need some changes when it's done, so why not just link to this thread?

Buckert , why dont you use the pokemon with sync to check the hp or speed ? or isn't that possible to do ?
Because people might want 6 different natures for 1 Pokémon, it would be a bit silly to get 6 synchronizers if you can get the same result with Staraptor and Smeargle.

For Deoxys, a level 61 Staraptor with a +Spe nature, 31 IVs in HP and Speed, and 252 EVs in Speed has 193 HP and 202 Speed. Give it a Scarf and it outspeeds.

Level 100 Smeargle with max Speed and 232 Speed EVs hits 268 to test for neutral nature Deoxys.

For Speed+ Deoxys, Scarf Level 100 Adamant Smeargle with 31 Spe IVs and 40 Speed EV's hits 196, and 294 after Scarf. A level 80 Parasect with a +SpDef nature and max HP/SpDef EVs/IVs always survives a crit Psycho Boost, and can Spore.
0 SpA Deoxys Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect on a critical hit: 217-256 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Staraptor uses Final Gambit. If Deoxys survives, perfect HP confirmed. Free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle attempts to Spore. If it's outsped and killed, perfect speed confirmed. If it successfully hits, switch to Parasect. Spore whenever Deoxys uses any move other than Psycho Boost and use Max Potions if it takes any damage. Pray it gets caught before it runs out of PP.

A team of fainted SynchroMon, Scarf Staraptor, Scarf Smeargle, Leftovers Parasect, and a surfer would leave one slot to instantly check IVs upon capture.

Edit:
0 SpA Deoxys Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Smeargle on a critical hit: 252-297 (80.2 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You don't even need Parasect. Just use X Speed on Smeargle after it Spores and make sure it's always fully healed. It's not like Smeargle will be using any other attacks anyway.
Yeah X Speed or Rock Polish. Anyway, thanks a lot! Will review it later today and add it to the OP.

Also there's another way to solve PP problem: Exeggutor has nice combo of Bestow, Skill Swap and Harvest so when you need to catch something like Ho-Oh with 20 PP total, you can Bestow Leppa Berry and then Skill Swap Harvest (also in case of Ho-Oh, it can "support" itself with Sunny Day. Beware of gotten Pressure though).
Just something to note.

Hm, I've looked through the guide and noticed the mention of using Spore on Virizion... But being a Grass type, it's immune to Spore. Perhaps include the use of Soak instead of Taunt or Rock Polish? (could just use X Speed instead)
Or you could use a different sleep-causing move (Lovely Kiss, Sing, Grass Whistle, Hypnosis, or Dark Void), with Dark Void being the most accurate, and Lovely Kiss coming in second most accurate.

Buckert

Hm, I've looked through the guide and noticed the mention of using Spore on Virizion... But being a Grass type, it's immune to Spore. Perhaps include the use of Soak instead of Taunt or Rock Polish? (could just use X Speed instead)
Or you could use a different sleep-causing move (Lovely Kiss, Sing, Grass Whistle, Hypnosis, or Dark Void), with Dark Void being the most accurate, and Lovely Kiss coming in second most accurate.
Did this change in gen 6? I'd swear I've used Spore on Virizion to capture it in BW/BW2. Been quite a while, that is. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll consider adding either Soak or Dark Void. :)

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Great guide, Buckert!

Not sure if you would want to add this tidbit to clarify the Capture O-Power, but it takes 15 uses of Capture Power Lv. 1 to get Capture Power Lv. 2, and 30 uses of Capture Power Lv. 2 to get Capture Power Lv. 3. The cost of using an O-Power to level up is also reduced by 2 when you gift it to a friend/acquaintance/passerby, so the fastest way to level up is to give them away to others. It might be good to point out in your guide that it's best to start leveling it up as soon as possible while you're still playing through the story, since it's a bit of an annoying and time consuming process.

Also, question: I'm still SRing Rayquaza, so I haven't gotten to finish the Delta Episode. When capturing Deoxys, do you have to have Rayquaza in your party?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
During the Delta Episode, Rayquaza will be automatically defaulted to your first Pokemon, so if you wish to capture Deoxys in space Rayquaza will be required. Not that it makes a difference though because the game sees it as being captured in Sky Pillar.

However, if you KO Deoxys during Delta Episode, it will respawn on top of the Sky Pillar after you beat the E4, and Rayquaza will not be required. Idk what happens if you run away from Deoxys in space though (someone test this for me pls ^__^)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)