Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

Would Sableye be better than Staraptor/Smeargle then? Or does the extra turn you need to switch to another Smeargle to Spore makes it less efficient?
Faster reset>faster capture imo. Staraptor/smeargle will give you get a free switch on smeargle but with sableye you will be able to reset on turn one because you test for HPandSpeed at the same time.... which makes the SR faster in the long run. It's your choice though you want a faster reset or to be able to start throwing balls sooner?

If you are SRing for Lati@s use Attract with Natu. Paired with thunder wave Lati@s will rarely attack and that way you don't need to spore it continously.
Obviously you need to use a female Natu for Latios and a male Natu Latias for attract to work.

If you are SRing for Lati@s use Attract with Natu. Paired with thunder wave Lati@s will rarely attack and that way you don't need to spore it continously.
Obviously you need to use a female Natu for Latios and a male Natu Latias for attract to work.
Please explain the magic that lets you Spore a paralyzed Pokemon ;)

To expand on the O Power method I found that you can reset for Max Capture O-Power from your Secret Pals. This grants you one hour of Capture Power Level 3. Prepare your team beforehand and safe afterwards in front of the Legend to have a very short reset time.
(I use all O-Powers before saving to make reset times very short, so this helped a lot to give more time before O-Powers run out.)

Please explain the magic that lets you Spore a paralyzed Pokemon ;)

To expand on the O Power method I found that you can reset for Max Capture O-Power from your Secret Pals. This grants you one hour of Capture Power Level 3. Prepare your team beforehand and safe afterwards in front of the Legend to have a very short reset time.
(I use all O-Powers before saving to make reset times very short, so this helped a lot to give more time before O-Powers run out.)
Reread my post. I basically said use T-wave+Attract instead of Spore.

When you Reset any O-Power active will erase even if you saved beforehand.

Reread my post. I basically said use T-wave+Attract instead of Spore.

When you Reset any O-Power active will erase even if you saved beforehand.
i introduce the joke disclaimer in html soon :D
maybe I will write them in ultraviolett next time...

About the OPower, I was somehow sure that I got the deactivation message after some resets, but that might very well be a mistake on my part. The brain gets flurry after dozens of resets, quite a faulty technology it is.

So thanks for telling me, I will check this again!

Just a tip...but for suicune, your first turn out with smeargle you should taunt first. If you move before an attack, (or a message that suicune couldn't use mist)reset. If it says 'suicune can't use mirror coat after the taunt' speed could still be flawless and you'll find out on the next turn as mirror coat has negative priority

Mirror coat goes through taunt, though it can still be used to see if negative priority was used...I guess the best bet short of imprison/mirror coat would be to not rock polish so you can continually check speed

Last edited:
Just a tip...but for suicune, your first turn out with smeargle you should taunt first. If you move before an attack, (or a message that suicune couldn't use mist)reset. If it says 'suicune can't use mirror coat after the taunt' speed could still be flawless and you'll find out on the next turn as mirror coat has negative priority

Mirror coat goes through taunt, though it can still be used to see if negative priority was used...I guess the best bet short of imprison/mirror coat would be to not rock polish so you can continually check speed
Is it possible to use the speed o power trick with suicune? It works against raikou and entei, but suicune is slower than those 2.

The "trick" work like this
You need a staraptor with initimidate and you need to use the speed you usually use on the speed checker, 1 point below flawless. Then when ready activate the catching o-power and then a lv1 speed o-power. Interact with the portal if Intimidate goes first SR, if pressure goes first use Final Gambit once the turn starts the speed opower activates and you will be able to outspeed and check both hp and speed at the same time. Maybe for suicune you need a neutral speed nature on straptor. I used an adamant staraptor for my entei iirc.

Is it possible to use the speed o power trick with suicune? It works against raikou and entei, but suicune is slower than those 2.

The "trick" work like this
You need a staraptor with initimidate and you need to use the speed you usually use on the speed checker, 1 point below flawless. Then when ready activate the catching o-power and then a lv1 speed o-power. Interact with the portal if Intimidate goes first SR, if pressure goes first use Final Gambit once the turn starts the speed opower activates and you will be able to outspeed and check both hp and speed at the same time. Maybe for suicune you need a neutral speed nature on straptor. I used an adamant staraptor for my entei iirc.
the staraptor would have to be level 49 with a 0 speed iv with 12 evs in speed and a 31 hp iv with 140 evs.

Definitely doable. But it's a bit less complicated to taunt with smeargle first then spore as the odds are extremely low of it using mirror coat 3 times in a row (while you use taunt,spore, and then rock polish)

the staraptor would have to be level 49 with a 0 speed iv with 12 evs in speed and a 31 hp iv with 140 evs.

Definitely doable. But it's a bit less complicated to taunt with smeargle first then spore as the odds are extremely low of it using mirror coat 3 times in a row (while you use taunt,spore, and then rock polish)
Breeding some Starly and leveling them all to 41 in advance, you will save quite some time if you want to soft reset multiple legends.
The true power of the O Power method lies in the speed check being done before turn 1 even starts and finishing all the checks before the opponent can move.

But it really depends on how fast you want to reset and how much attention you want to spend on the soft reset.
Activating all the O Powers can be annoying if you want to watch TV, while spending some turns to know HP/speed adds quite some time to every soft reset.

As hard said you only need to breed that starly and level it up in contrast to be messing around with probabilities the o power method it's a reliable method no matter what Suicune does you get BOTH checks turn one. You can SR faster this way instead of burning turns trying to speed check. Believe me Sr ing with that method was incredibly fast compared to the regular method when I was Sring for Entei, most of the time I SRd as soon as I saw/heard Intimidate proc first. Also that Staraptor could be used against Dialga/Palkia and other legends with abilities that show up.

Ok, for those who(like me)are trying for 0 speed TR spread on stuff with abilities like pressure(which are announced at the start of the battle, for example, Groudon with Desolate land does this), a trick you could use is that instead of leading with staraptor, you can lead with smeargle, make it hold an Air Balloon and if Groudon's text appears first, reset, but if Smeargle's Air Balloon is announced first, you can Spore it and switch to Groudon to check it's HP :D

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, for those who(like me)are trying for 0 speed TR spread on stuff with abilities like pressure(which are announced at the start of the battle, for example, Groudon with Desolate land does this), a trick you could use is that instead of leading with staraptor, you can lead with smeargle, make it hold an Air Balloon and if Groudon's text appears first, reset, but if Smeargle's Air Balloon is announced first, you can Spore it and switch to Groudon to check it's HP :D
But... Staraptor with Intimidate will fire off Intimidate before any of those abilities, and then you can still use Final Gambit on the first turn to test HP.

...But virtually none of the legendary Pokemon that have announced abilities really want minimal speed, since most have a base Speed that's too high for Trick Room outside of something gimmicky. In the cases where I would want minimal Speed, I think I'd prefer going with what cant say suggested and use an Intimidate Staraptor for a faster reset... and maybe an extra Staraptor with the same HP in case Groudon opts to Rest on the first turn so then Smeargle can Taunt and Spore without having to whittle the beast's HP back down.

Staraptor is too fast to SR for TR sets with the speed o-power method. You need something like a fast jolly staraptor with Macho Brace(50% less speed) attached or in some cases a 0 spe IV with -spe nature. Then you can use the speed o-power method.

Staraptor is too fast to SR for TR sets with the speed o-power method. You need something like a fast jolly staraptor with Macho Brace(50% less speed) attached or in some cases a 0 spe IV with -spe nature. Then you can use the speed o-power method.
Why would you need Speed Power if going for Trick Room? You want the Speed check to be as close to 1 point above 0 Speed with - Speed nature as possible. Staraptor would already be faster (albeit yes you need to prepare one specifically for the job of what few benefit from this) and thus you don't need Speed Power. (the incoming Smeargle would likely be level 100 to maximize survivability while Taunting and Sporing)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure what's so hard about it..

Here's you Groudon answer Arhan

Staraptor @ nothing
Lv. 41
Ability: Intimidate
Brave Nature
IVs: 31/x/x/x/x/0
EVs: 236 HP
Level 50 stats: HP=157, Speed=78
- Final Gambit
-
-
-

1 less HP for Final Gambit, 1 more speed than a 0 IV, negative natured Groudon. If Intimidate goes second then reset. If Final Gambit kills, reset. Boom done

Not sure what's so hard about it..

Here's you Groudon answer Arhan

Staraptor @ nothing
Lv. 41
Brave Nature
EVs: 236 HP
- Final Gambit
-
-
-

1 less HP for Final Gambit, 1 more speed than a 0 IV, negative natured Groudon. If Intimidate goes second then reset. If Final Gambit kills, reset. Boom done
Starly learns final gambit at lvl 41 the lowest level staraptor with final gambit you can have is lv 43...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
But.. You can breed a male and female Starly who both know Final Gambit together to pass it on as an egg move, so the whole 'Staraptor can't have Final Gambit before level 43' doesn't really apply. If you can't be bothered breeding, then:

Staravia @ nothing
Level 49
Brave Nature
EVs: 236 HP / 32 Speed
- Final Gambit
-
-
-

Works exactly the same as I just explained above

so I noticed that there's no mention for -Spe nature for the regi trio, and I figured that while it may seem difficult given their low level and high HP stat, it should be worth mentioning since they're slow af

Starly@ Power item
Lv. 42
Jolly (or any +Spe) Nature
252 HP/64 Spe
Stats at level 42: 125 HP, 82 Spe
-Final Gambit
-something
-or
-nuffin

Power item leaves it at 41 Speed, outpseeding minimum regirock/ice/steel by 1 point. It doesn't matter if you get hit first and lose HP, because you want slower regis in this scenario.

Since all Regis have the same base HP/Speed, this same spread can be used for all 3.

I managed to use a nifty method of soft resetting involving Umbreon. My Umbreon came from a past gen game, before I was competitive, so the EVs are all over the place, and it has a jolly nature.
Umbreon's speed is just high enough that a speed positive nature Landorus with a perfect speed IV would outspeed Umbreon, but Umbreon would move first if otherwise.

Granted, I should've used some way to check the HP IV in the process, but at least I didn't have to deal with catching one with imperfect speed.

I managed to use a nifty method of soft resetting involving Umbreon. My Umbreon came from a past gen game, before I was competitive, so the EVs are all over the place, and it has a jolly nature.
Umbreon's speed is just high enough that a speed positive nature Landorus with a perfect speed IV would outspeed Umbreon, but Umbreon would move first if otherwise.

Granted, I should've used some way to check the HP IV in the process, but at least I didn't have to deal with catching one with imperfect speed.
What advantage does Umbreon have over other Speed checkers already discussed in the thread? I guess it does have Synchronize, but it doesn't get Seismic Toss or Night Shade, or even any sleep-inducing move (except Yawn, I suppose), or False Swipe. You're better off using a fainted level 1 Synch and a Smeargle or a Staraptor to Speed check, surely?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)