Solum's Core

Your team is completely solid... I tried to rate it, and the only thing I can see as a threat is Mamoswine, which is rarely used.

It's nice to see a sandstorm team without Excadrill once in a while. This really brightened my day.
--MUDKIPZ4EVER

What do you do when the opponent leads a Skarmory? If you leave Tyranitar in, Skarmory gets at least 2, maybe 3 layers of Spikes down if Fire Blast misses.

And then even if Skarmory only gets one layer down, a Ferrothorn or something else with Spikes comes in.

Other than the spikes issue, this team really is amazing.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Spikes aren't much of an issue for this team. Toxic Spikes are worse because you have to get the most out of Tyranitar and Garchomp when you can and rely on the rest of the team to close the game. If someone leads with Skarmory, you can lead with Rotom-W or Gliscor.

Obviously this is an incredibly solid team. I faced a couple of clones today and did come out on top but that was primarily me outplaying the opponent rather than any weakness of the team. As has been mentioned, Volcorona can cause a lot of trouble if it manages to QD, but there is very little which actually gives it one - only Gliscor really - so as you mentioned clever play can usually beat it.
Also, that Jirachi set is incedibly effective. The only possible alteratio I would consider is Doom Desire over protect but that would likely require a change of nature. It does put a lot of pressure on the opponent however and might let Chomp get a free substitue. Paralysis and Iron head gives a decent chance of stalling the Wish turn anyway. What DD also does is limit terrakions setup opportunities a little more because it cannot setupp while you are waiting for DD to hit and that may allow Tyranitar to Pursuit things easier without the risk of being setup fodder
Just some stuff to think about.

excellent team, glad to know that im not the only person using the amazing sigilyph. i would enjoy battling u because the metagame seems kind of boring right now, too predictable. ur team is quite original. my only critique is that u dont have 1 fire move in a metagame dominated by steel. it doesnt matter too much since u can deal with it, but maybe u shud switch icefang with fire fang.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cool team man

you could replace gliscor for excadrill? i use a similar style in ttar & subchomp, both with lefties. and ive been tempted to try sigilyph myself because its really unique and its clear as to why your team has been successful on the ladder. balloon excadrill can revenge kill terrakion and/or pose a game breaking scenario; brick break will help with screens; it is "something" besides dealing with enemy exadrill that you can throw in to stand firm; and finally, more notably with ballon, excadrill can take advantage of enemy garchomp in more ways than one.

this team, without gliscor, still holds well together. i admit while its nice to have a second fighting resist (especially in gen 5), excadrill can do way more in any given match and still helps deal with what needs to be covered.

something id consider.

ever though about lum over lefty on tar, it makes it easyer to swich into scalds from politoad and wows from ninetails, the bro trio can be a bitch, also agility luke looks (like it will never be used), somewhat trouble some, same with any fast fighting pokemon especial if its partnered with rank to handle that cosmic power guy of yours, but im sure you could come up with a million scenarios of X +Y -your Z= a loss for you, so whatever, good team also look out for shaymin its a whore with its spe def drops, and if it gets one on your flying guy could make it hard to wall

Excellent team as always however when I vsd it, Jirachi always lets Omastar set up easily, and since you were unable to paralyze me on the second smash, it was over. I can't really suggest anything without changing Jirachi's whole moveset but perhaps using a more specially orientated variant might help. Other than your weakness to Omastar, Gorebyss and CM Jirachi, awesome team.

@Battler3797..I had reflect up.

Excellent team as always however when I vsd it, Jirachi always lets Omastar set up easily, and since you were unable to paralyze me on the second smash, it was over. I can't really suggest anything without changing Jirachi's whole moveset but perhaps using a more specially orientated variant might help. Other than your weakness to Omastar, Gorebyss and CM Jirachi, awesome team.

Well honestly if he wasnt able to set up it was only because body slam never paralyzed omaster. jirachi could easily handle omaster with ironhead. If you add ironheads super effective stabto the paraflinch then omastar wouldnt be able to do a thing

except that omastar isn't weak to iron head, and can take it with it's high defense, but that's neither hear nor there.

Just also wanted to ask what Gliscor's EVs do exactly?

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Thanks for the post, Taylor. Excadrill seems like a popular replacement on this team. I noticed requiem[9] also recommended it. I do see a problem with opposing Garchomp if it replaces Gliscor. Garchomp is already a threat that requires careful play. Based on my experience against Excadrill with my Garchomp, Earthquake will only do around half with Earthquake. If it were to replace any one member on its own, it might be better to have it replace Sigilyph because there are fewer things I rely on it for. Sigilyph is the glue of the team that makes a bunch of things easier for the entire team. The ideal scenario for using Excadrill would probably be to replace another member to offset the imbalance created by Excadrill.

Omastar is a threat to this team, but I think you are the only person I ever faced with one in at least a hundred games. If Garchomp can get in first or if Jirachi paralyzes the team is alright. Otherwise it has to brace itself. If it were more common I would need to do something about it. As for Gorebyss, you can beat one Shell Smash user with Garchomp by getting Substitute in after the opponent has a paralyzed Deoxys-S. The problem with those teams is that they have something else and it might be hard to get back into that kind of position again. Calm Mind Jirachi is only a pain with Substitute because then I can't rely on status to help the rest of the team out. I have to force Garchomp on it early before it can take it out.

I think this RMT simply justifies how diverse the metagame is nowadays, such a range of encounters covered by your team is incredible. I don't have much advice, Franky spoke for many i'm sure, but I do agree an excadrill switchout could prove useful. I guess you can test the team and get back to us with a consensus, but best of luck (:

Just posting to say that franky's EV spread is insufficient. His spred gives you 303 def and 282 spa, while a spread of 104 def and 152 spa EV's with a bold nature gives you 303 Def and 284 Spa.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i think you underestimate this team's issues with conkeldurr and physical virizion. both have no problem setting up on jirachi and proceeding to KO pretty much the whole team. conkeldurr's payback handles sigilyph with ease, and even at full HP, gliscor can't take on +1/+1 conkeldurr if it's first turn is spent Taunting and it doesn't have Protect to conserve HP. virizion's leaf blade has no trouble with gliscor, and stone edge takes care of sigilyph. combined with the terakion/landlos/volcarona issues highlighted elsewhere, i think it would be prudent to remove sigilyph and replace it with something more suited to taking care of these threats.

There goes KG, building another team sure to be copied and clones forever.

I've played against some clones, and few of my teams have a solid advantage right from the get go. There's always work to be done before I can guarantee a win, so you've obviously done a great job checking most everything in the metagame (And without Ferrothorn too! GASP!).

That said, I see your Mamoswine weakness, but barely anyone runs Mamoswine. Only Rotom-W can really stop it, and Stone Edge's nasty crit rate might be the end. I can't really recommend changing anything, though, since Mamoswine is rare and probably not worth mentioning. Also, I 6-0d this team with Heracross. The set was the basic Guts SD set with CC/MH/SE/SD. To stop it, you have to wear it down with Burn damage until Garchomp can switch in and finish the job with Dragon Claw. That's kind of risky, since Garchomp can't take a Close Combat or Megahorn. One miss-predict and you lose a team member, which is bad. That said, practically no one uses Heracross, so again it doesn't matter. I just had to find SOME flaw in this team haha.

Well done KG. The best 5th Gen OU team I've ever seen by far.

EDIT: Now where is that Luvdisc button :|

Mew still beats this team too easily. It still taunts everything and nothing can really do much damage to it.

EDIT: Pretty sure I actually played this team on ladder and beat it pretty easily with Mew as well.

Whats Mew gonna do to Garchomp?

Bulky versions get set up on; offensive versions get out-sped and wrecked.

Sub > will-o-wisp. I only mentioned the speed because I figured you must be confused about something if you thought Mew could beat Garchomp. Basically some version of Mew could threaten each member of this team, but no single Mew could threaten all of it.

Sub > will-o-wisp. I only mentioned the speed because I figured you must be confused about something if you thought Mew could beat Garchomp. Basically some version of Mew could threaten each member of this team, but no single Mew could threaten all of it.
no spa ev psychics break chomps subs
ice beam destroys him
chomp can't switch at all because 3/4 of mew's moves are gg for him unless its band chomp

I can see how this team has serious problems with mew, outside of rotom you're kinda screwed
it doesn't fear sigilyph/chomp/gliscor/rachi/ttar at all

Hi, I'm back after thinking on Siglyph for a while.

Monkfish definitely has a point. +1/+1 Roob can punch it's way through your current Gliscor and your second fighting check, Siglyph, can't immediately threaten it at all. I'm going to suggest you try Bulky CM Rank over Siglyph. CM Rank still gives you the dual role of status absorber and defensive boosting sweeper, but Rank also serves as a more reliable, immediate answer to Roob and SD Birijion/Terakion, responding with STAB Psychic. With max Def investment it should also be able to take a +2 Leaf Blade and Stone Edge respectively. Rank contributes a lot of useful bulk that can cushion the blow from the aforementioned physical threats and being neutral to rock also helps. The standard set should get the job done.

Rankurusu @ Leftovers
Bold l Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Like several other posters, I think Dory would be a great fit on this team to replace Garchomp. I realize Garchomp is the centerpiece and certainly puts the team on its back at times by capitalizing on Sand Veil, but I think with his speed, Dory would make a more effective cleaner while also giving you some important revenge kills, particularly on +1 Urugamosu. Dory can also pick off a weakened Birijion or Landlos if they break through your intial check. The Dory + Rank/Gli combo shuts down a major threat to the current team, Balloon Terakion, forcing it to choose between SD or Rock Polish before getting popped. Right now, if it gets past Gliscor you just lose to it regardless, barring a Stone Miss miss. Rapid Spin support could be useful, but I think you'd benefit more from straight up SD with Return as the coverage option.

Doryuzzu @ Balloon
Adamant (preference) l Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Return

Made him adamant because you don't really value the speed tie with opposing Jolly Dory considering you have Gliscor and Rotom. He could use the extra power for revenging Birijion and Rand.

The tweak on Rotom's spread should give some insurance against Landlos.

gl with the team son.

i have tested this team in battles and actually watched KG battle against conkeldurr. It went like this:

Conkeldurr already at +1,1 and just KOd a pokemon
KG sends in Gliscor

Opponent uses payback dealing 35 % health
Gliscor uses Swords Dance

Gliscors Toxic Orb Activates
Gliscor recovers some hp due to poison heal

Opponent uses payback dealing 35 % health
Gliscor uses Swords Dance

Gliscor Recovers some health due to poison heal

AT THIS POINT gliscor had about 50 % health left.

opponent uses payback gliscor loses 35 % health
Gliscor uses Earthquake
CONKELDURR loses however much hp it had left because it got worn down from sand storm, spikes, etc.

you can say this never would happen but i actually watched it happen so gliscor can in fact handle a +1,1 conkeldurr

Sub leftovers is alright on Garchomp, but most people don't try to status Garchomp due to status moves low accuracy. The main use of sub therefore is to obtain a free substitute, which is kinda unreliable imo.

Therefore I recomend using a salac berry over leftovers, a salac berry gives substitute a purpose, so subbing and getting unlucky now has a use. Sub salac Garchomp is also a total beast this gen.

Sub leftovers is alright on Garchomp, but most people don't try to status Garchomp due to status moves low accuracy. The main use of sub therefore is to obtain a free substitute, which is kinda unreliable imo.

Therefore I recomend using a salac berry over leftovers, a salac berry gives substitute a purpose, so subbing and getting unlucky now has a use. Sub salac Garchomp is also a total beast this gen.
The pinch berries haven't been released yet..., and honestly, if he drops the lefties/sub package, he is probably better off with a yache berry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)