Something Borrowed

So I was looking at Gengar and thinking of possible Toxic Spikes donors, for an offensive T-Spikes setter + STAB Hex.
Nidoking is really cool because in return Gengar can give it Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse, either of which giving perfect neutral coverage in combination with Nido's STABs. Either also kills Shedinja which given the recent discussion could be quite valuable.
Another cool donor of T-Spikes is Drapion because Gengar could give it a bunch of stuff like Sucker Punch, Will-O-Wisp, Curse, Drain Punch, Clear Smog/Haze, etc. Coupled with another move like Recover, Gunk Shot or Dragon Dance some of those might actually make Drapion pretty threatening.
So that's all fine and dandy having the T-Spikes + Hex combo along with decently powerful partners, but then I realised Gengar get Perish Song. Gengar, Perish Song, Mega Gengar, Perish Trapping, Wobbuffet?

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 52 HP / 232 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Perish Song
- Recover

Not sure if there are any more creative/effective alternatives for the last or first two slots but this basically allows Wobb to still do its signature punching bag thingy, while also being able to Perish Trap pretty darn effectively. It can also donate Encore and Destiny Bond which are actually really nice on offensive mons. I'm sure Gengar can give you Perish Song in return for some Sub-Encore shenanigans, and something like Latios can easily spare either Roost or Recover (possibly even keeping one for itself) and put in work with Destiny Bond.
Idk this kind of seems like it could be pretty cancerous imo, and possibly quick ban worthy, or at least suspect worthy. Thoughts?

I anticipated this issue arising, and I figure it's probably better to address sooner rather than later. Should Shadow Tag be banned?

Ah, trapping. Hello darkness, my old friend.

I'm honestly be inclined to say ban Shadow Tag because it's arguably uncompetitive already; now, between Wobbuffet+Recovery and Gothitelle+Perish Song, no team archetype can really function properly when it's present (even moreso than usual). It's like it is in Sketchmons, but worse, because now you get two moves to abuse; the team support needed to make these happen is not at all difficult to provide. Wobbuffet's Encore and Destiny Bond are very useful, while Gothitelle has a solid special movepool, Taunt, Thunder Wave, and Trick among other options.

If you like crazy setup sweepers, here's a list of the power setup moves and some viable users
What do you mean by viable here? Unless you want that team member to be dead weight, what you really want is someone who won't miss it, so for instance I can totally see Swoobat borrowing Shell Smash from Shuckle; 260 BP Stored Power coming up!

What do you mean by viable here? Unless you want that team member to be dead weight, what you really want is someone who won't miss it, so for instance I can totally see Swoobat borrowing Shell Smash from Shuckle; 260 BP Stored Power coming up!
You don't want to bring something terrible for this meta - for instance, Dustox is pretty much unusable, especially when you take its only useful move.

As far as that swoobat goes, make it's other received move Aura Sphere, and use Energy Ball as coverage. Because nothing will want to take a +4 neutral/SE hit.

As far as that swoobat goes, make it's other received move Aura Sphere, and use Energy Ball as coverage. Because nothing will want to take a +4 neutral/SE hit.
As for an Aura Sphere doner, how about Mega Blastoise? We can finally make it a good tank by giving it Roost. Either that or we can give Lucario Knock Off or something

-----

Actually, in terms of gimmicks that might work once or twice, how about Regigigas? It has nice 110/110/110 bulk so we can give it something like Recovery and make it a tank or even Protect (to kill Slow Start turns) or just say screw it and give it Skill Swap (along with Recovery). Like, we can give Gardevoir Earth Power (trading hitting Skarmory and Air Balloon Heatran for much better accuracy) and Talonflame Earthquake while getting Skill Swap and Roost in return.

Incomplete list of mons that would like reliable recovery:
  • Azumarill
  • Diancie
  • Ferrothorn
  • Garchomp
  • Heatran
  • Landorus-Therian
  • Rotom-Wash/Heat
  • Tyranitar
  • Victini
  • Zygarde
  • Mega Aggron
  • Mega Ampharos*
  • Mega Blastoise
  • Doublade*
  • Forretress
  • Goodra
  • Snorlax
  • Suicune
  • Tentacruel
  • Shuckle
  • Bronzong*
  • Cofagrigus*
  • Omastar
  • Registeel
  • Rhyperior
  • Furfrou
  • Lanturn*
  • Mantine
  • Poliwrath
  • Regirock
  • Regigigas
  • Stoutland
  • Throh*
  • Weezing*
  • Wobbuffet
Starred mons are ones that I think are particularly nifty, or are unusual in some respect but have potential.
Naturally, a few of these require more move-donation than they are able to provide their team in return (Registeel and Furfrou come to mind), and the extent to which their viability is impacted by lacking recovery varies, but I think all of them will have their place on particular teams. On the teams I've constructed thus far, I've added recovery to Ferrothorn, Victini, Cofagrigus, and Shuckle.

What are the rest of you slapping instant recovery on?

As for an Aura Sphere doner, how about Mega Blastoise? We can finally make it a good tank by giving it Roost. Either that or we can give Lucario Knock Off or something

-----

Actually, in terms of gimmicks that might work once or twice, how about Regigigas? It has nice 110/110/110 bulk so we can give it something like Recovery and make it a tank or even Protect (to kill Slow Start turns) or just say screw it and give it Skill Swap (along with Recovery). Like, we can give Gardevoir Earth Power (trading hitting Skarmory and Air Balloon Heatran for much better accuracy) and Talonflame Earthquake while getting Skill Swap and Roost in return.
Why not give Slaking Skill Swap? It's movepool has great things such as Encore, Yawn, Slack Off and such and it immediately provides a free turn when using Skill Swap.

Incomplete list of mons that would like reliable recovery:

Naturally, a few of these require more move-donation than they are able to provide their team in return (Registeel and Furfrou come to mind), and the extent to which their viability is impacted by lacking recovery varies, but I think all of them will have their place on particular teams. On the teams I've constructed thus far, I've added recovery to Ferrothorn, Victini, Cofagrigus, and Shuckle.
Actually, Furfrou hardly misses U-Turn and many Pokemon would appreciate it for themselves, as well as Thunder Wave, Dark Pulse, Endeavor, Grass Knot, Sucker Punch, Charge Beam... well, Furfrou might like to keep Thunder Wave for itself, but its movepool has a fair few things it won't miss that other Pokemon are liable to love.

Registeel's movepool is actually kind of ridiculous. It has Zap Cannon (Donate to Mega Pidgeot, get Roost in exchange), Gravity, Power Up Punch, Counter, Amnesia, Iron Defense, Hammer Arm, Focus Blast (Or donate this to Mega Pidgeot, but there's other things that can provide it), Charge Beam, Curse, Psych Up (Donate to Unaware?), Seismic Toss (Donate to stallmons like Shuckle), Focus Punch, Explosion...

I'm not sure why you didn't put an asterisk next to Wobbuffet, though. I'm also not clear why Omastar is in the list, when the main things it wants are coverage and tools for shunting aside checks/counters, preferably both in one go because its Shell Smash set has only really got room for one move that isn't a STAB or Shell Smash. Omastar is certainly glad to steal Power Gem off of Sableye or the like. (Sableye can in turn get use out of Haze, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and potentially Tickle)

... and now I'm wanting to make a team.

Last edited:
Actually, Furfrou hardly misses U-Turn and many Pokemon would appreciate it for themselves, as well as Thunder Wave, Dark Pulse, Endeavor, Grass Knot, Sucker Punch, Charge Beam... well, Furfrou might like to keep Thunder Wave for itself, but its movepool has a fair few things it won't miss that other Pokemon are liable to love.

Registeel's movepool is actually kind of ridiculous. It has Zap Cannon (Donate to Mega Pidgeot, get Roost in exchange), Gravity, Power Up Punch, Counter, Amnesia, Iron Defense, Hammer Arm, Focus Blast (Or donate this to Mega Pidgeot, but there's other things that can provide it), Explosion, Charge Beam, Curse, Psych Up (Donate to Unaware?), Seismic Toss (Donate to stallmons like Shuckle), Focus Punch, Explosion...
... admittedly, I didn't look into Registeel's movepool much, since the sets I saw for it on the dex were kind of, uh, anemic. I still feel that these options you listed all pretty niche, except possibly Curse (I've really wanted to try out Curse + Unburden, but never gotten the opportunity). Furfrou's options could certainly be useful, but none (save maybe T-Wave and U-Turn) would really count as "staple" options, unlike the Recovery and Taunt/Will-O-Wisp/Phazing that Furfrou really wants to be successful. You COULD make Furfrou work on a team, but it's nowhere near as viable a move donor as a lot of the other mons on the list. I don't see why you would run it on an offensive team (since it's such a momentum killer if it donates U-Turn, because it doesn't have room for hazards), and I don't see its moves helping defensive teammates that much. IDK, prove me wrong I guess.

I'm not sure why you didn't put an asterisk next to Wobbuffet, though. I'm also not clear why Omastar is in the list, when the main things it wants are coverage and tools for shunting aside checks/counters, preferably both in one go because its Shell Smash set has only really got room for one move that isn't a STAB or Shell Smash. Omastar is certainly glad to steal Power Gem off of Sableye or the like. (Sableye can in turn get use out of Haze, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and potentially Tickle)
I want and fully expect Shadow Tag to be banned, so I didn't bother to list Wobbuffet as having potential.

Omastar has 70/115/70 bulk and an interesting defensive typing, which could make it a niche defensive option. It can set/donate hazards and launch strong uninvested Scalds. Omastar has no business taking an offensive role on anything other than a Rain team (there are so many better Shell Smashers), so in that context, I agree with you that it doesn't need recovery, but that's not all Omastar is good for here.

Maleovex

Lt. Col. of The Kyergrzstan Killer Beez
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Def
Careful Nature
- Shell Smash
- Infestation
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

This thing can be cancerous, very cancerous. Shackles set in the end will have Will-O-Wisp and Roost, meaning that you can send it in on a physical attacker trap it, burn it, then setup while roosting. Toxic can hard stop this though, but overall, I think this can be very dangerous.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Iron Tail

Tough Claws Knock Off? Ouch. Tough Claws Extreme Speed? Double Ouch. This set is going to hit like an absolute truck, with tough claws boosting all his attacks, 2 of them probably being the best phys attacks in the game and the other a super strong stab, this thing hits very, very hard.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Vacuum Wave

This is a fairly standard lucario set, running dual steel stab, a fighting move, and Swords Dance to boost, mainly used for donating.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magical Leaf
- Sludge Bomb
- Swords Dance
- Pin Missile

I'm not too sure about Roserade here, but I have a feeling that it could be really strong with technician boosting three of his moves and the other being STAB, I think this could do really well in this meta.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Silver Wind
- U-turn

Scizor is well known for being very bulky and hitting very hard, with its bullet punches being well known for ripping through teams, this is just an improvement on the original set with better coverage and pin missile as bug STAB, hitting harder than the usual stab (Bug a bite or U-turn) almost always

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost

This is basically the exact same as the usual Flygon set, dual stab, U-turn for momentum, stone edge for coverage, also provides recovery for Shuckle.

My second attempt at a team, probably as bad as my first one.

Quick question. If I'm using a move on mon 1 can mon 2 also have the same move? E.g. if talonflame is using brave bird can it also "donate" brave bird to landorus?

Quick question. If I'm using a move on mon 1 can mon 2 also have the same move? E.g. if talonflame is using brave bird can it also "donate" brave bird to landorus?
No. This is because a set of, say, Brave Bird/Roost/Brave Bird/Flare Blitz is illegal under standard moveset restrictions, and would therefore be blocked before the "borrowing" occurs.

*Takes Sylveon*
*Puts some Nice Choice Specs*
*Gives him Boomburst*
GG

(Also, Focus Blast Pidgeot sounds awesome)

Maleovex

Lt. Col. of The Kyergrzstan Killer Beez
If anybody wants to battle Something Borrowed, message me on Smogon so we can organise a time

The core of Serptini is big in this one, Serp gets V-Create while V gets Giga Drain as a recovery option for an AV set.

The core of Serptini is big in this one, Serp gets V-Create while V gets Giga Drain as a recovery option for an AV set.
Victini can get way cooler things from Serperior. Knock Off, Mirror Coat, Aromatherapy, Calm Mind, Coil, Glare, Leech Seed, Screens, Swords Dance, and Synthesis could all see use. Serperior has a pretty sweet movepool, and Victini has the statline and typing to get away with offensive, bulky offensive, and defensive sets.

Victini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
- Blue Flare
- Energy Ball
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam or Earth Power or something idk

Victini @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- V-Create / Flare Blitz (Serperior also likes Overheat)
- Bolt Strike
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash, ideally

Victini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
- Blue Flare
- Taunt
- Synthesis
- something to hit Heatran

You get the picture. AVtini can't recover off Stealth Rock or Rocky Helmet/Rough Skin damage so its bulk is kinda wasted. That Swords Dance set I listed, if you can get it Icicle Crash, actually pairs spectacularly with Serperior -- precious little avoids the 2HKO from both (mostly things from lower tiers), and it just gets worse when both can boost.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)