Gen 3 Somewhat Original Team

I haven't been playing very long, but this is my most successful team thus far. I made an attempt to avoid things that are currently ruling the metagame.

Flygon @ Choice Band
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly nature

Earthquake
Body Slam
Hidden Power Flying
Rock Slide

Earthquake and Rock Slide are obvious. HP Flying is because Hera beats a lot of my team, and it helps for the odd Breloom. Body Slam is for hax on Ninjask's baton pass, but as a filler move I thought it was better than slightly more damaging Return. I guess Double-Edge is an option.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
120 HP / 64 Atk / 4 Spe / 252 SpA / 68 SpD Quiet Nature

Substitute
Focus Punch
Ice Beam
Thuderbolt

Blah it's a standard, but as of the time I started Dragonite was virtually nonexistent :). Hes a good counter to Salamence, Gyrados, and Skarmory, and can punch a lot of stuff if he gets a sub up, which isn't hard to do.

Articuno @ Leftovers
249 HP / 12 Spe / 249 SpD Calm Nature

Ice Beam
Roar
Toxic
Heal Bell

I know Articuno is usually a shuffler, not a wall, but he can poison and outstall bulky waters with some Wish support, as well as phazing calm minders who aren't Raikou (hence the EV's). Heal Bell works well enough on him, considering this isn't a stall team.

Steelix @ Leftovers
252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD Impish Nature

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Roar
Screech

He helps Articuno with electric types and counters Ttar and Metagross. Attack Ev's give him a decent chance to OHKO Dugtrio. Most Curselax are walled by either him or Gengar. Screech has saved me several times against endgame Curselax.

Gengar @ Choice Band
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant Nature

Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Focus Punch
Will-o-Wisp

CB Gengar is fun. Shadow Ball is mostly for other Gengar, but hits a lot of things that might try to switch in on Sludge Bomb neutrally. Focus Punch is really useful with all of his resistances. Will-o-Wisp is good for Metagross switch-ins or coming against a Snorlax using curse or a normal attack and burning before he shadow balls.

Vaporeon @ leftovers
253 HP / 60 Def / 184 SpA / 31 SpD

Surf
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Electric
Wish

Offensive Vappy. Not as effective of a team healer as the standard, but with his awesome ability to switch in on bulky waters, its cool to let him do some damage as well. He is a great switch-in on Gyrados, who will usually taunt and get hit. Surf is pretty poweful, and Surf + HP electric KO's Starmie.

So thats the team, the things that make it the saddest are Starmie, Gengar, and sandstorm teams with like 6+ walls. 2/3 of it is immune to spikes, which helps in general. It's beaten a lot of teams that are loaded with standards though. The main point is it has a lot of ice and electric attacks, which beat a lot of the things that stop a late game Flygon sweep.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
In the team builder, you can just use File -> Export to Text.

I haven't been playing very long, but this is my most successful team thus far. I made an attempt to avoid things that are currently ruling the metagame.

Flygon @ Choice Band
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly nature

Earthquake
Fire Blast
Hidden Power Bug
Rock Slide

Earthquake and Rock Slide are obvious. HP Flying is because Hera beats a lot of my team, and it helps for the odd Breloom. Body Slam is for hax on Ninjask's baton pass, but as a filler move I thought it was better than slightly more damaging Return. I guess Double-Edge is an option.

Personally, I'd go Adamant. But Jolly should be fine.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
120 HP / 64 Atk / 4 Spe / 252 SpA / 68 SpD Quiet Nature

Substitute
Focus Punch
Ice Beam
Thuderbolt

Blah it's a standard, but as of the time I started Dragonite was virtually nonexistent :). Hes a good counter to Salamence, Gyrados, and Skarmory, and can punch a lot of stuff if he gets a sub up, which isn't hard to do.

Your speed looks oddly place. Try EVing so that its speed can outrun certain Pokemon at around the same speed that may hinder Dragonite's purpose. For example, maybe you want to get in a sub before someone like Weezing can burn you. In that case, make sure Draggy's speed is above Weezing's usual speed.

Articuno @ Leftovers
249 HP / 12 Spe / 249 SpD Calm Nature

Ice Beam
Roar
Rest
Heal Bell / Reflect

I know Articuno is usually a shuffler, not a wall, but he can poison and outstall bulky waters with some Wish support, as well as phazing calm minders who aren't Raikou (hence the EV's). Heal Bell works well enough on him, considering this isn't a stall team.

Use max HP. Same concept with speed applies, only this time, make sure you outrun Suicune and other phazers. Toxic is kinda dumb on Articuno.

Steelix @ Leftovers
252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD Impish Nature

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Roar
Screech

He helps Articuno with electric types and counters Ttar and Metagross. Attack Ev's give him a decent chance to OHKO Dugtrio. Most Curselax are walled by either him or Gengar. Screech has saved me several times against endgame Curselax.

Tbh, use either Roar OR Screech. Not both - they generally serve the same purposes. You can replace one with Explosion if you choose. You can probably drop Roar since you have no Spikes. Not to mention Screech + Explosion sounds interesting.

Gengar @ Choice Band
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant Nature

Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Focus Punch
Will-o-Wisp

CB Gengar is fun. Shadow Ball is mostly for other Gengar, but hits a lot of things that might try to switch in on Sludge Bomb neutrally. Focus Punch is really useful with all of his resistances. Will-o-Wisp is good for Metagross switch-ins or coming against a Snorlax using curse or a normal attack and burning before he shadow balls.

Doesn't serve a real purpose on this team, but ok. Wisp can chance to Explosion, just so you know.

Vaporeon @ leftovers
253 HP / 60 Def / 184 SpA / 31 SpD

Surf
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Electric
Wish

Offensive Vappy. Not as effective of a team healer as the standard, but with his awesome ability to switch in on bulky waters, its cool to let him do some damage as well. He is a great switch-in on Gyrados, who will usually taunt and get hit. Surf is pretty poweful, and Surf + HP electric KO's Starmie.

Use bold. You don't need SDef, so push all that to Defense. You don't need THAT much SAtk either, even if you are using 3 attacks, so I'd move some of those over to Def too. Might not survive that well without Protect, though.

So thats the team, the things that make it the saddest are Starmie, Gengar, and sandstorm teams with like 6+ walls. 2/3 of it is immune to spikes, which helps in general. It's beaten a lot of teams that are loaded with standards though. The main point is it has a lot of ice and electric attacks, which beat a lot of the things that stop a late game Flygon sweep.
Generally any special attacker that can throw out a Thunderbolt can wreck this team. You might want to go over basic team structure. It'd probably be a bit more solid if you added a special wall (Regice/Snorlax/Blissey) over Articuno or some Light Screen support.

Good point about Roar/ Screech. Draggy still outspeeds Weezing though, and I'm not sure if outspeeding Suicune would be worth the EV investment. HP flying on flygon is already explained - but maybe fire blast is a good idea. Toxic on articuno is for bulky waters. It would be dumb on a spikes shuffler, but he's not one. If you have any advice about said mixed special attackers let me know. I probably could replace Gengar with Blissey, and Articuno's heal bell with light screen. Just I sorta hate Blissey :/

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
About that speed explanation on Dragonite; it was just an example to get my point across about using speed EVs, considering that the 4 EVs you had there seemed out of place.

Very interesting team to say the least, and if you want to keep it that way its fine. A Defense ev'd Celebi, can wall this team pretty hard w/o HPbug on flygon or explosion on gengar. But the main aspect i think you could change is Put in Regice over articuno, that looks something like this:
Regice @ leftovers
Nature: Calm/bold
Evs:252 HP / 96 Def / 140 SpA / 20 Spe
-Thunderbolt/T-wave/counter
-Ice beam
-rest
-psych up

This is a solid special wall, while also dealing with calm minders and cursers as well. Can also pack paralyze support or counter, or just the standard boltbeam.

Hmmm, Regice seems like a good idea. Blowing up Gengar could be cool too. I recently put explosion on Steelix as per Umby's suggestion. Celebi almost always switches in on Steelix, so I've had some success with blowing up Celebis that way - though losing Steelix can suck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)