Sonic 25th Anniversary : Sonic Mania (2D) and Sonic Project 2017 (3D)

What was the best part of the 25 Anniversary party?

• Sonic 2006 (still loading)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Sonic Mania (yay remasters!)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Sonic Project 2017 (if it ain't broke don't fix it)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Blind Sonic the hedgehog

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Sonic Kitty (Golden Kitty the Hedgehog?)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some were disappointed with "maybe later lulz SA3" but I think they hit the right spots with basically Sonic Generations 2 (they didn't call it that, said it wasn't a sequel) and Sonic Mania (remaster of first two titles in cooperation with indies and exactly same physics of the classics + new stages). What are your thoughts?

Update: The PlayStation Blog has a few additional details. Sonic Mania will "reimagine" zones from Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD and Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. It'll be digitally distributed and have new zones, acts and bosses.

Last edited:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sonic Mania looks really nice. People have been wanting a 2D Genesis Sonic forever & this will certainly make them complain a lot less. Having indie devs have a hand in this game for the extra content & such is a good step too. I don't really have much to say about Mania other than that it's a remaster of the games which people often say are the best in the franchise, with extra content & devs. However I do have quite a bit to say on the other title announced.

The big title was obviously Sonic 2017, the teaser is conveys that this is going to be a grand title with a large sense of mystery as for what happened & such. The announcement of the game is going to give people doubts about how good it will be as they've seen with Sonic 06 & Sonic Boom, included me at first. However, The trailer does show that its being created by the devs behind Colours & Generations, both of those are considered the best Sonic games of the past decade. The introduction of Classic Sonic along with Modern Sonic does give me a bit of hope as well, it's basically going to be a Generations 2 as op X5Dragon stated. The last thing that makes me think that Sonic Team will actually try to make it as great as possible is the release date. Sonic's 25th anniversary is this year yet they've decided to hold it for next year in the holidays. This most likely implies that Sonic Team is going to take their time with this one, try to polish it as much as possible to make it a damn good Sonic game. I know I shouldn't be too optimistic here considering its a modern Sonic game but all the points I brought up make it seem like they are going for a really ambitious title in the series.

Both these games look really nice. Personally, I'm looking more forward to Project 2017 Sonic title due to it (at least at this stage) looking very similar to sonic generations, which I feel had the best gameplay out of any sonic game. I'm still very excited for Sonic Mania however, as it has everything about Sonic 3 and Knuckles that I like (multiple playable characters w/ unique abilities, elemental shields, etc.).

Both of these look nice, especially Sonic Mania. Having been a longtime fan of S3&K, I hope it turns out just as good/better. As for the 2017 Sonic, I hope it has the Chao Garden ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ.

However, something's still bugging me about this event. Maybe it's this:

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sonic Mania is basically what Sonic 4 should've been. Or Adventure 2. Or first Adventure. In any case, about damn time and have all my money! Still not sold on 2017 until I play it though.

Sonic Mania looks like everything I could ever want it to be... until

Update: The PlayStation Blog has a few additional details. Sonic Mania will "reimagine" zones from Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD and Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. It'll be digitally distributed and have new zones, acts and bosses.
So basically we're getting hosed. Again. Why on earth aren't they remastering all of the classic games, putting them on a disc, and selling them ala Sonic Mega Collection at full price? These games aren't very long--you can beat the majority of them in a couple of hours flat-- so if they just toss in about 8-10 zones it won't be worth the money at all unless it's like $10-$15. Sigh.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
There are like 20 sonic collections out there dude. Not that I don't find the idea of retreading old ground as dumb as it was in Sonic 4...

This is the first time in my live to be hyped about the release of a Sonic game. Hopefully Sonic Mania doesn't disappoint me.

Sonic Mania to the old games is like what Earthworm Jim HD was to the original by the looks of it ...

... though that Sonic finger wag in the trailer was actually godlike

Personally, I'm excited for both of these. Sonic Mania seems to be incredibly promising especially with Christian Whitehead on it, and Project Sonic 2017's trailer is interesting although I'm a bit more hesitant because of a lack of any gameplay details.

Sonic Mania is such a refreshing change compared to the comparatively lackluster Sonic 4! I, among many others, find it funny how people complain about it just because it's not Sonic Adventure 3. Now Project 2017, I can see where the "no more Classic Sonic" complainers are coming from, since it seems to be taking the Generations style of gameplay to newer, possibly more original pastures. Still, I'm not complaining about either of them myself. Let Sonic and friends have their moment this year (And the next) - they deserve it!

I should also get to that second season of Boom, am I right?

Sonic Mania is such a refreshing change compared to the comparatively lackluster Sonic 4! I, among many others, find it funny how people complain about it just because it's not Sonic Adventure 3. Now Project 2017, I can see where the "no more Classic Sonic" complainers are coming from, since it seems to be taking the Generations style of gameplay to newer, possibly more original pastures. Still, I'm not complaining about either of them myself. Let Sonic and friends have their moment this year (And the next) - they deserve it!

I should also get to that second season of Boom, am I right?
Couldn't agree more! Honestly, I feel like many of the people complaining about a lack of SA3 have forgotten that while the Adventure games are perfectly fine games, they aren't exactly flawless and that Sonic Mania is supposed to bring back the series to its roots while Project 2017's (seems to be) about furthering the gameplay of the modern series. Also, I never got the chance to pick up Sonic 4, mostly because the game has a less than positive reputation but I know how some Sonic fans can be.

Hey, I should have gotten on this earlier, but breaking news for anybody who hasn't looked:
We just got another "original" zone from Mania! Oh, and I put "original" in quotes because it's more inspired by a lost level in the Sonic CD remake, Desert Dazzle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)