ORAS OU Spacebound: To Infinity And Beyond

styie

Formerly known as Freedom.

If any of you have actually known me, rather it be, you knowing me for being a ladder player, on the forums, or just on Pokemon showdown in general then you would know that throughout much of my time in competitive battling, I’ve built every type of team. hyper offense, bulky offense, balance, semi stall, full stall, you name it, I've built anything you can think of. I've built a successful team in any category of playstyle. I'm not very consistent with a playstyle I use. I can play every playstyle rather convincing. But I do like playing Balanced the most. So, It’s still true now, even if its not to as extreme of a degree as before. This team is likely one of the best, if not the best balanced team I’ve built as far as how far along my success on the ladder it has taken me, and I’m sure that it could go farther. I know peaking #1 on the ORAS OU ladder isn't really an accomplishment, considering I can get to #1 in 2/3 days. Now, This team, like many of my better ones, went through quite a few iterations. Originally, it was going to be a spiritual successor to my favorite balanced team I built in XY, but it deviated to the point I might as well as make its own team.
Originally, I knew I wanted to build around Suicune. Suicune is my favorite Pokemon, and I don't think a single person can say that it doesn't look majestic and sexy. Now, I picked suicune for obvious reasons so I won't explain too much. I wanted to make a team with Suicune and a team with Mega-Scizor so I said "why not both?" so I looked farther into both Pokemon and realized they made a decent core, good synergy, and amazing bulk, so I put them together on one team. Now, before you correct me and say "that's not even a core stupid" to an extent, you are right, but once you look at the whole team and examine the roles both play, then you'll understand. Now carrying on. Originally, this team was meant to be a VoltTurn team around Scizor + Mega-Manectric + Landorus-T the almighty VoltTurn team. I made this team during Aegislash suspect. After doing tests, I'm surprised because it took me one try, with no switches or changes to the team, it performed extraordinarily well, going 28-0 on Suspect ladder, before I lost to a Bisharp. Later on, it transformed into a Balanced Suicune team. I know what all of you are thinking, "how does a team make such big of a drastic change like this?" The answer still remains the same, I changed 2 Pokemon. I changed Landorus-Therian to Hippowdon to alleviate my Bisharp problem and I changed Manectric with Latios and made Scizor mega instead of choice band. Later on, the team shortly changed as a whole, after, due to issues with how effective the team was and vital aspects it lacked such as a Bisharp check and revenge killer. Afterwards, it began to take its current form, a Suicune Balance team with a revenge killer that my team desperately needed, but with a few role differences. Mega-Scizor was a SD +3 Attacks set that bounced back and forth between the Bulky Roost and SD +2 Attacks, and Talonflame was a Bulk Up set. After realizing a weakness to Bisharp, I tried to look for solutions. Hippowdon seemed like the first choice, changing it to bulky mixed set allowing it to take a +2 knock off from Bisharp, a nice stealth rocker and also tank hits from other physical attackers, and special attackers. But in the end, I opted for Hippowdown over Landorus, and switched to Stall Breaker Talonflame over Bulk Up.

Teambuilding Process:

First, we have Suicune. I knew I wanted to build around Suicune because honestly this thing is so hard to break after it sets up and it can wreck havok on teams that do not properly prepare for it.

next, I added Mega-Scizor because this thing has an amazing Physical bulk allowing me to beat fairies 1v1 thanks to SD. it also gives me a dragon and fairy resist and a Metagross check, and to an extreme degree, it can check Weavile.

Next, we have Latios. This thing is my defogger. It also provides me with Fire, Electric, and water resist. This thing is my alternative Water, Electric, and Water resist check which helps a lot more with roost, so it provides me with intense longevity. This mon is just a big help as it hurts other physical attackers, and it gives my whole team more opportunities to setup and win and gives my team more support and backbone to fall against.

Next, we have Talonflame. This thing acts as my special attacking sponge, revenge killer, Volcarona counter and a nice late game cleaner, also it completely annihilates stall thanks to taunt + Will-O-Wisp. It also sponges hits from other physical attackers and just great support.

Next, we have Hippowdown. This thing just helps against a lot of things. It's my dedicated Sand team check, completely stops Lando-T in his footsteps. It's my bird check, stealth rocker, and physical sponge.

Finally, we have Clefable. This thing acts as my dragon immunity, and a secondary win condition thanks to CM. It's also opts as my status absorber. Let's face it, this set is cancer, CM + Unaware.

In the end, I finally opted for Mew over Talonflame for a lot of reasons really. The main ones were; is that it beat most fighting types, psychic types, completely stops stall, stalls out unaware Pokemon that stop my sweepers from performing their rolls. Talonflame can't really do the same job as effective hence why I made such the switch but honestly I can say, my team is a little better than it was before.

The Team:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar

Now, as previously stated, this is the Pokemon I wanted to build around. Suicune is gaining a major increase of usage in ORAS OU. It's current form on where it stands in the metagame, I would say, a little above the middle. Suicune is a fun Pokemon to use at the moment and it's doesn't require too much team support as it basically can support itself due to it's large amount of bulk allowing it to take physical hits relatively well. Now onto the sets, I just went with the standard CroCune set as setting up allows me to beat a lot of unprepared teams in the current metagame. For the EV Spread, I went with the standard 252 / 252 but instead of throwing the 4 EVs in Special Attack, I threw it in my Speed, allowing me to speed creep 90 Speed mega Scizor by 1 point.

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Roost

Now, I needed a pokemon that could switch-in to Dragon Type attacks and take little damage, I also needed a fairy check and something that could beat fairies 1v1. I opted for Ferrothorn but I also needed a Mega-Metagross check and Ferrothorn wouldn't cut it due to the fact that Metagross gets Hammer Arm so I just went with Mega-Scizor as it scares out all of those mons easily. Now onto the sets. I needed something that would scare out those mons, so what no better to do then use Roost SD +2 Attacks. U-Turn lets me gain much needed momentum And bullet punch is for fairies and priority. The EVs are hypocritical because earlier I stated that 4 EV crocune outspeeds 90 speed mega-Scizor by 1 point, yet I chose not to use it. I have ways of beating crocune so I wasn't really worried about speed I just needed something bulky to take hits and retaliate back.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

- Roost

Draco Meteor is Latios's strongest move, dealing great damage to Pokemon that don't resist it such as Thundurus and Slowbro. Psyshock allows Latios to threaten special walls such as Chansey and Assault Vest users such as Raikou, Tornadus-T, and Conkeldurr. A Timid nature in tandem with maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs ensures that Latios Speed ties with opposing base 110s while hitting as hard as possible. Life Orb is the best item to use for this set, as it provides immediate power without locking Latios into a move. Using 29 HP IVs and 4 Defense EVs minimizes Life Orb recoil.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

- Taunt

Thanks to TDK for suggesting mew. I've played roughly 15 games with it and of course no team can beat everything but adding mew basically helps the team cover so much more threats as my team functions a lot more better. Knock Off is crucial for knocking off items and just a great coverage move to those who don't resist. Will-O-Wisp is also crucial as it allows me to cripple physical attackers and just stalling out Pokemon in general. Roost is needed on me was it allows me to stall out Pokemon and it increases mew's longevity. Taunt taunt taunt. This move is amazing, as it allows me to stop setup sweepers, hazard mons, and stall. Taunt just makes new a lot more stronger as it last longer by stopping mons in their footsteps making them useless at certain times. On to the EVs, I went with 252 HP / 148 SpDef to take special attack with relative ease and helping it last as long as possible. 108 speed was to hit a benchmark allowing me to outspeed Jolly Bisharp and burning it and other mons which can be game changing.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Leftovers increases Clefable's longevity and allows it to check many Pokemon much better. The given Special Defense and HP investment along with a Calm nature allow Clefable to, most of the time, avoid the 2HKO from Mild Life Orb Kyurem-B's Ice Beam, Thundurus's Thunderbolt, Mega Diancie's Moonblast, and Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt. The given Defense and HP investment allow Clefable to avoid the 2HKO from Jolly Mega Lopunny's Return, Latios's Psyshock, and Jolly Mega Gyarados's Waterfall, as well as the OHKO from Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Earthquake is a strong STAB attack that deters frail sweepers from setting up on Hippowdon. Stealth Rock is a great support move, and Hippowdon is very good at setting it up due to its great bulk. Slack Off provides reliable recovery, making it more difficult to wear Hippowdon down. Stone Edge is preferred in the last moveslot to heavily damage Thundurus, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard Y, and other Flying-types. The EV spread avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb Thundurus's and Mega Manectric's Hidden Power Ice, as well as the OHKO from +2 Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat. Leftovers is used to provide passive recovery that could mean the difference between getting OHKOed and getting 2HKOed. My spread also allows me to survive a +2 knock off from Bisharp and hit it back hard with EQ.

Conclusion:

If you're looking at this team and thinking "you have 2 mons that are pursuit bait" no, Hidden Power Fighting does a hefty chunk to ttar and Weavile, and for ttar, it weakens it to the point where Draco finishes it off in most cases. And altogether, I love seeing pursuit trappers, because for this team, they're only setup fotter for both Clefable and Suicune and that point in time could be game changing, but All around this team is really good to use in my opinion. It's really fun for ladder, if you know how to use it properly. I can get to number 1 easily in 2 days max with this team. I feel like this team has fair match-up against most teams in oras ou. Matchup isn't really a deciding factor for this team. I realized that I might as well as post this team before I have to make adjustments. As of now, its quite successful, making farther than any of my teams and also satisfying my brain’s desire to have solid synergy coupled with a Decent team core. If anyone has any changes to the team, feel free to tell me below.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

aim okay where do I start? First I would like to say thank you. Now, I know you get this a lot but I'm going to be 100% honest with you right now. I remember watching TheFlamingSpade's DS wifi battles back in the day and youtube recommended me a video of NotBlameTruth. Now, keep in mind I had no clue what Pokemon showdown was at the time and it just happened to be your Belly Jet + Mega Luke + DeoSharp team and I canceled out the video 45 seconds in the battle bc I hated how showdown looked. But something in my head told me to rewatch that and I did. I google searched "Pokemon Showdown" and I stole your team and tried it. I wasn't the best, I had no clue what mons I would see and their moves so I watched and watched until I finally got the hang of the team. And thanks to you, You're the only reason I'm actually here believe it or not, if I wouldve never re watched the video, I wouldn't be here. I would most likely be playing DS wifi battles or something lol idk. Over a course of time You've helped me get an understanding of the metagame. Like I previously stated, I'm going to 100% honest. I do not watch all your videos like I used to, I only watch the OU vids and the ones I think look interesting. Regardless, You've given me many ample opportunities to improve which I did take and thanks to you I'm at the skill level I'm at now, easily being able to peak #1 in a 1-2 days max. Next time around I hope to get out there more and join some real tournaments to improve more and get better. Again, thanks Joey

haunter: you'll forever be missed, by smogon and PS. You were an amazing leader and mentor, I'm sorry that they framed you, that's unbelievable, but you've taught me so much in life and how to prepare myself for success. Good luck in your life haunter.

Reverb you are an amazing battler and a great RO. You have an awesome personality that a lot of us love, you've taught me a lot rather it be battling or real life success, you have a special place in my heart <3.

Prankster. you're an amazing person and RO. Everyone loves your presence and you're just awesome to be around, thanks

Bluwing you're a real cool person and we've bonded since the last time. We did a ban battle a while back and I lost :[ and you banned me for like 2 weeks lol but I'm glad I've met you, you're an awesome person

fingerscrossed
you're an awesome person, we kinda clicked pretty fast, and I'm glad I met you. Really fun to be around and you're hilarious

Lil Manaphy
I think you were the first person I talked to, when I joined a while back. We've gained a huge trust in one another that will hopefully never be broken but you're one of my closest friends on here and the best Female battler I've ever met

Leftiez
we've only talked a little bit, considering you don't really talk much. But you're a strong opponent and you've helped me strive for my goals, just like joey youve helped me get better and i thank you for that. amazing friend and great presence. You're so cool and really funny. I believe in you this WCoP good luck bro

-Clone-
I really grew a bond with you. You're an awesome friend and great team builder. Keep up the good work bro

rob.
you're from bof aswell, I don't really talk to you but you're a cool person to be around and funny person in general.

-gizmo-
you're another close ass friend. You make really cool teams. Funny and cool. Keep up the good work man.

StarkGod
you're a true friend. When I was on the urge of quitting mons forever, you helped me a lot. You're a really great team builder and friend in general, love you bro.

xtra$hine
wow wut can I say skid? Jk you an awesome person, even though we beefed a lot we got over it. You're the king of innovation (Watch out CTC, xtra is out for blood) you're so cool and fun to be around. gl in WCOP, I'm rooting for you every step of the way.

Wond3rbread
You're an awesome fren, really funny and you're pretty bad and lucky but that's okay, I still love you :].

WECAMEASROMANS
My favorite Asian. You're really good at mons, and I think you're hilarious. Whatever WCOP team you decide to go with, I hope you do amazing. gl and always hf

scotti
my bro. I wish we could take a lil bit more but I think you're a real cool person

Zamrock
The god is here. You're my bro, you're good af and good luck in your wcop matches I have faith in you.

bludz
Ur an fgt. pls git gud. Jk ur really funny and cool to be around, keep doing ya thing.

KlefkiHolder
Do you really hold klefki's? jk we kinda clicked as soon as we talked and you're an awesome friend, love ya :).

Get Backer
You told me to not give you a shoutout, but hey guess what? I don't listen lol anyway welcome to bof.

Abra
Kadabra. You're an awesome mod, I hope you go far in life gl with everything friend. :].

iplaytennislol
Stop playing tennis and play mons u pleb. anyways, i think youre a great presence, youre awesome, a distinct personality which i believe is catchy. you're a funny person and a great battler and strong opponent, glad I've met you

TCMK s/o to this lord right here. apparently u don't use smogon but Idc I'm adding you cuz u real af and we bros

Invok3r you're really cool and a strong opponent. you've helped me with a lot a suit and I appreciate your presence, thanks bro.

ben gay we don't really talk much but I wish we did, I see you around on the ladder all the time and you're a very dedicated and tough opponent, and you're teams are amazing. glad I've met you

BlackBloodz lil bro. I have the deepest respect for you. You're very cool and awesome to be around. Happy I've met you

Crestfall bby :] you're very funny and have an amazing personality. Great user presence. Thanks for being a real friend :].

Ninety Nine ABOOSE ABOOSE. when you're not aboosing ppl you're actually a very dedicated users and a great presence that everyone loves including myself. Happy I've met you :].

Squirrel. hi squirrel :P you're really good at mons and a funny person in general with a bright personality, glad I've met you

Tom Bus the (in)famous bus himself. :]]] you're a real cool guy and funny. Love being around you broski, glad I've met you

Mob Barley you're areal friend. You're really good at mons and a great opponent. Not to mention tough opponent. very glad I've met you :].

m00ns you're cool af and you're my bro. thanks for linking me those sprites boa, ur real af :].

Tele
Best for last :] we kinda grew a bond, I mean were not like best best friends but were p cool. You're voice is awesome and you're the best battler ever :p gl with your yt channel bro

s/o to everyone in bof that I missed. If I missed you, please pm asap so I can edit you in

Mega Altaria: Cotton Guard DD sets are the cancerous, but the other sets are rather manageable by Scizor + Talonflame

Keldeo: Generally, I switch to Latios, and double to Clefable at the sight of a Pursuit trapper.

Landorus-Incarnate: Talonflame checks it. If that goes down, I revenge kill with Latios. However, Talonflame is the only pokemon it can switch-in, and Lando-I takes a hefty chunk from Brave Bird + Draco and gets worn down pretty easily after rocks. Rock Polish sets are extremely scary, requiring either Talonflame to be healthy, and Clefable can eat 1 sludge wave iirc but regardless, it takes them present to take it out together.

Mega Metagross: It's usage has declined, but it only gets a free switch-in to Clefable, so if my mons are healty enough to take a hit, I can just hard switch to Mega-Scizor, or Manectric. Regardless, Mega-Scizor is my usual answer to it.

A+ Rank

Azumarill: The team has about zero reliable switch-ins to the band set, depending on what moves it wants to go for but it's not hard to pressure out. Belly Drum variants don't scare me at all because I have Latios to revenge kill.

Bisharp: Hippowdon keeps it in check barring +2 LO Iron Head flinches.

Mega Charizard X: Uncommon as of now, but undoubtedly a huge threat. Hippowdon can reliably stop it, as well as Clefable and Clefable can T-Wave it and start firing moonblasts. But once they go down, it sweeps everything. If they don't have EQ, Clefable checks it. With the DD, Roost, DClaw, FBlitz. DD + Roost is my favorite variant to see since that widens my options to Hippowdon and Clefable.

Clefable: Calm Mind variants are usually stopped by brute force, as I have Talonflame to safely switch-in and taunt it allowing me to freely switch-in to my own clam-minder and start setting up. Unaware variants worn down, and it usually cannot find a free switch-in on anything but again, Hippowdon.

Mega Diancie: Scizor tends to keep it in check.

Garchomp: my team isn't threatened by this at all, I have a safe switch-in to Hippowdon to check it, and it doesn't like this thing at all. However, it's pretty easy to take advantage of if it's the bulky variant and is worn down quite quickly otherwise.

Gengar: Talonflame can take a hit, but again, almost nothing can grant a free-switch but Hippowdon which can still take a hit

Gliscor: Toxic Stall variants of the ladder don't last very long, and SD variants wish they were faster as they are easily threatened out.

Heatran: Not difficult to switch-into, although it doesn't get a free switch, unless it comes in on Latios.

Landorus-Therian: Hippowdon checks this with ease but it generally can't do anything on the offensive side as long as Hippowdon is alive.

Mega Lopunny: Hippowdon generally threatens it out and Clefable can check it well of some sort.

Latios: Roost variants are a pain to wear down but easy to switch-into, HP Fire / EQ variants are a pain to switch-into but easy to wear down aswell.

Mega Sableye: Although my team lacks surefire checks bar Suicune, because I can setup and scald burn and go for crits, it is generally too pressured I also have an Clefable to stop it, even though Burns do hurt, it still stops it from trying to sweep. If push comes to shove, I Spam brave bird after i get a burn. Regardless, it's not a problem for me.

Mega Scizor: Talonflame needs to be healthy vs. an SD one. But if they're not SD, Hippowdon keeps it in check.

Talonflame: Hippowdon shuts it down, so it must be kept alive as well, I have Suicune that can take a hit a spam scald but at least I can almost guarantee a safe switch-in to it.

Thundurus: Hippowdon checks it's seeing that HP Ice does roughly 50%, but if you play stupidly, NP 6-0's the team, and it puts a huge dent into the team regardless if they are gone.

Tornadus-Therian: Extremely threatening, it outspeeds everything and most run 216+ Speed because that Spread outspeed based 110s and up, such as Thundurus, Starmie, Choice Scarf Jolly Tyranitar and does massive damage to everything. Talonflame switch-in and threaten it out to an extreme degree, but it still often isn't sufficient.

A Rank

Mega Alakazam: Clefable usually can deal with it, and Talonflame can revenge kill it, but it overall is very threatening.

Celebi: Everything on my team bar Hippowdon deals with it and also the rare LO HP Fire variants, talonflame deals with.

Mega Charizard Y: Latios and Talonflame both can switch-in to the fire blast, and threaten it out but if they catch on to it, can be annoying. Regardless, Latios can revenge kill it.

Excadrill: Hippowdon laughs at it, not hard to force out.

Ferrothorn: Talonflame, Mega-Scizor and Hippowdon both deal with it, which one I choose depends on how quickly I want to eliminate it.

Mega Gardevoir: Mega-Scizor can switch-in, but if that goes down llwhich risks getting focus blasted and Clefable which risks getting 2HKO'd by double high rolls but it can protect to disregard that factor. Also Tornadus-T can take a hit if it needs too.

Mega Gyarados: Dragon Dance variants are really terrifying at times but Clefable switches in every time, and Thunder-Wave's it.

Hippowdon: This thing is stupidly fat, really. However, Clefable and Suicune can usually use it as set-up fodder, force it out, and stall breaker Talonflame and Latios are things it doesn't like facing but can wear down. Scizor also does a chunk to weakened ones.

Latias: Essentially Latios, but ignore the HP Fire/EQ section.

Mega Latias: Nightmare fuel if I don't SD right with it, or Draco it before it sets up.

Manaphy: At most it takes one pokemon out. No more, sometimes less.

Mega Manectric: While it gets few switch-in opportunities in practice - Hippowdon is a safe check to it.

Rotom-W: Annoying with or without the presence of Latios on my team, especially if paired with a pursuit trapper. Latios, and Clefable are soft checks but if push comes to shove, +1 Suicune is realistically often my last resort.

Slowbro: Can be finished off by Latios, Scizor, or forced out with Suicune.

Mega Slowbro: Extremely intimidating if it manages to set-up, usually all I can do is set up a some CM with on it and hope for some crits. CM + ID are my favorite sets, because it's setup fitter for Suicune because they only carry scald for an attacking move

Starmie: Defensive variants are easy to switch-into but difficult to wear down, and offensive variants are difficult to switch-into but easy to wear down - considering the only thing it can switch into does about 50% to offensive ones.

Tyranitar: Fortunately, Fire Blast is almost non-existent on it as of now, especially scarf sets. Both are good news for Suicune, and Scizor but how it kills Latios so effortlessly is annoying.

Mega Venusaur: Defensive ones are easy to switch-into, Offensive ones are walled by Talonflame, Latios can threaten it out - but it's a pain for Suicune.

A- Rank

Mega Aerodactyl: Very rare, but very threatening. Everything takes massive damage from the right move, but my priority can usually force it out.

Mega Gallade: I have never, ever been swept by one using any half-good team, although admittedly I've only faced it with offensive teams. Priority followed with Talonflame are enough to stop it.

Gyarados: Generally Sub DD is the only relevant variant, which can be stopped by Talonflame if it doesn't have much boosts. Suicune can also stall out all of its Bounces and waterfalls, and crunches thanks to pressure and do chip damage as well.

Jirachi: What a rage-inducing little wishmaker, especially Doom Desire + HP Ground variants. Otherwise, it's not too hard to deal with but extremely annoying.

Klefki: This little thing is a devil, Klefki takes the cake for being even more annyoing. Talonflame will be paralyzed if it tries to kill it, but Suicune and Clefable use it as setup fotter in most cases.

Kyurem-Black: How do you even switch-into this thing with this team? Scizor does the trick until you get HP Fire'd, and Latios hates coming in on a sub.

Mamoswine: Equally difficult to switch-into, but it can be revenge killed by Suicune, Talonflame, or Clefable.

Mew: Talonflame usually deals with it, nor can it switch-into anything not named Hippowdon which can EQ for a free switch on the roost turn.

Mega Pinsir: Almost non-existent nowadays, but a healthy Hippowdon or a healthy Latios generally can check it quite well.

Politoed: A fat little toad that doesn't like to die, especially since the opponent is likely to play it with caution. Suicune and Latios check different variants respectively, but the rain it brings is more of a concern to my team.

Raikou: Not hard to switch-into, not hard to wear down, but facing it can be rather awkward.

Serperior: Without a doubt, extremely threatening. However, Talonflame is the nice counter as it threatens it out and Scizor can deal with different variants respectively.

Skarmory: Custap lead sets are dealt with a combination of Talonflame taunt + will-o-wisp. Regardless, Talonflame gets a free switch-in to all variants.

Volcarona: Rare, and Talonflame counters it, easily

Playstyle Match-Ups

Rain
+
: Politoed itself is rather annoying, but the other members are another package. The swift swimmers are dealt with the combination of Latios or Suicune, but Tornadus-Therian isnt that scary one rain teams.

Sand
+
: Sand is quite the common and threatening playstyle, but Hippowdon stops the most common variants of it. Mega Garchomp is another package, one that happens to be impossible to switch-into.

Sun and Hail aren't common enough for me to bother listing them, although they are legitimate playstyles.

Hyper Offense
: The team has a relatively neutral match-up and is offensive enough to fight for momentum, but HO usually will take it from the start due to its nature. From, its the side that makes the best plays and whether it retains the momentum or if this team takes it. While this may not seem too good, keep in mind that HO while it starts out with the momentum, it technically also makes the field 5-6.

Bulky Offense
: The match-up is almost entirely neutral, it just depends on what the other team has and which side pulls the best plays that determines victory.

Balance
: Quite the pain to face since it's more than a little common, but as long as I have the momentum, BD Azumarill should be able to clean them up.

Stall
: At the end of the day, Talonflame shuts everything down depending on whether or not I manage to eliminate Suicune's counters and sufficiently weaken the opposing team through momentum from the Talonflame + Clefable core to win.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
K cool team slut here's how its gonna go

CM rain rest mana>>>crocune just try it and you'll know what i mean. this set is god, the only thing crocune has over it is some extra bulk and pressure; mana has much less RNG involved, more power, less prone to gknot, more speed, and weather to potentially help the team (like torn-t's hurricane).

Next off, i'd say fuck lati. If you want a fire/electric/grass/water resist or whatever (you don't need a fire resist, you have hippo/talon/mana but anyways) try out amoong or av tang.

Since that means we lose a defogger, move clefabel over and dump in a togekiss to defog instead. It'll still beat sab with plot+flinches, and u still have mzor as a check to mgyara. It eases up the pressure vs most chomp as well.
EDIT: right this kinda helps vs SD gliscor too :O

Also, ur mzor spread can be improved, try 248 HP / 44 Atk / 84 Def / 52 SpD / 80 Spe over ur current spread. It does something important but I forget what..

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Scald

(16 speed outpaces ada bisharp. I remember this one!)

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

(16 here is for azu)

Try these out, hope i helped :]

Last edited:

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hi grinding, nice team you got here, but i have a suggestions to make it even better!

i would recommend changing the ivs on latios so you don't miss the speed tie with other latios and gengar and diance and metagross.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30
Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

i would change this to

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

i hope that helped. cool team and have a nice day :D

Last edited:

Tele

a quality human being
Standard Gothitelle-Mega Eye Stall shuts this team down (takes out 4 out of 6 pokemons with relative ease). I dont know how you deal with opposing spedef Willowisp-Taunt Talonflames either, especially if your own Talonflame is weakened or if rocks are up, which is likely to happen as latios isn't that hard to wear down (still better than the hugo team with torn-t which straight loses to it l0l). You also lose to SD Gliscor since Ice Beam Clefable can't switch into it (although many people think it can l0o0l idk why) as you can clearly see here; from this point of view the hugo team is maybe better because HP Torn-t is a much better way to deal with SD Gliscor. I've also noticed a slight weakness to Spedef Heatran with Taunt+Toxic. Aside from that, it's a very good team (just not archive-worth in my honest opinion though).

Last edited:
Been trying this team out for a good 15 or so games, I really am fond it. One change I made though, was flame thrower clef, replacing t-wave. You said you could deal with ferro, but when I faced a ferro, I just didnt feel liek I could do too much to it. The FT clef really baits into the ferro, for a good 70% dmg, which I like

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man i think it is solid this team but as people said a few post b4 u have some weakness specially against oppsing stall like Taunt Tran, Stallbreaker Talon, Gothitelle etc, so i think u need another win con besides scizor, cune, clef to help with that i'd suggest this.
  • U need Unaware on that clef simply because u straigh loses to manaphy, Latios + scizor isnt enough for this monster, so made the standar cleric clef i think it is a nice glue for this team.
  • And another change is made Talon SD + Taunt which help u against Sableye, Oppsing Talon and even heatran that lack of magma storm.
  • Few minor changes is hit 210 speed on Suicune and replace Knock Off > Bug Bite on M-Scizor, is a better coverage and knocking off leftover is always fun.
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 92 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam / Heal Bell
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect / Calm Mind

Ice beam helps with gliscor but u have cune and Latios too, but u gotta play carefully around it, test this set and decide it if u need beam or not.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
Hope i help u and gl

Hey man, thanks for the shoutout and all n.n. I like the team. I had a version of p much the same Cune, Clef, Hippo, and Sciz sets along with Nasty Plot Thundurus and SubToxic Aegislash back in the Swagger XY Meta and it worked pretty well so I think some of the cores you have here work very nice.

However, I do think a few changes could be made. I agree with some others above me in that the Scizor EVs could be changed as right now they seem very basic and inefficient. As for a specific spread, I use 248 HP, 40+ Attack, 44 Defense, and 176 SDef. I forget exactly what thats optimized for but the EVs are very effective. If you want a more physically withstanding spread, which it seems you do, then you can always play around with it a little more. Finally, Bug Bite and Bullet Punch together are walled by quite a bit, so I would also like to recommend Knock Off over Bug Bite.

And I'm going to agree with Dennis (the man has good ideas haha) in that you should use SD Taunt Talon as it alleviates your weakness to Sab, Talon, and a few other mons greatly.

Also, the Suicune spread I have used for a while hits the 210 Dennis wants. Its pretty simple. Just 240 HP, 252+ Def, 16 speed. Hits a leftovers number and has a nice creep that beats 0 speed rotom.

Thats about it. My opinion seems to reflect a lot of others here. Good luck!

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
yo,

As Stathakis mentioned, I built a very similar team in both XY and ORAS, as did Hugo. After the changes Stathakis suggested, our teams don't differentiate too much, as I run the same moves on each 'Mon aside from Gothitelle, just different EV Spreads, which is a minor, personal preference.

I run Mew in the last slot, as it is a huge help in a lot of different aspects. Mew brings a lot to the table; it helps with stall to an extent, it cripples a lot of 'Mons with Knock Off + Wisp, and it is really only countered by Charizard / Talonflame. I feel like it is a lot more reliable vs common stall nowadays than Gothitelle. I know Gothitelle is the latest ladder trend, and it shuts down things like Chansey, Unaware Clefable, etc, and prevents them from switching out, but it is easily exploitable via Pursuit trapping, every Mega Evolution, and is also a complete deadweight vs offense. Mew, on the other hand, Wisps every viable Pursuit-trapper there is and shrugs off their attacks afterwards. Mew can Taunt and burn every mega evolution that would otherwise make Gothitelle set up bait. Mew also is valuable vs offense, as the only things that actually switch into are Talonflame, Charizard X, and Mega Diancie, the latter being a very shaky answer, as without Calm Mind, it gets Roost stalled via Synchronize burn. I'm also really not a fan of Gothitelle. I guess it's pretty valuable on the ladder, where Unaware Clefable is decently common, but in every Smog Tour and test game I've had with my variation of this team, I can't imagine Gothitelle being anymore helpful than Mew in the slightest. This team doesn't appreciate most set up 'Mons, as a lot of them pose as huge threats, namely Mega Gyarados, which just eats up Gothitelle for a free DD. Mew also posses as a last-ditch effort vs Mega Scizor, which otherwise 6-0s you if it avoids a Scald burn.

Your original team had Talonflame over Gothitelle, which I feel is more reliable and helpful to your team. I still don't think it's better than Mew, but I understand if you prefer to use Talonflame, it makes sense to use it. It is more reliable vs Mega Scizor, which is a huge plus, but it is far less reliable in the stallbreaking department and less reliable vs balance with a Bulky Water type. Mega Sableye hard walls Taunt Wisp Talon, which is extremely ironic, while Mew can at least burn it with Synchronize. The only reason why it matters you get walled by Sableye is because Hippo gets shut down by Sableye as well, so you'll have no way to wear down a team of Sableye + Unaware Clefable + Scizor Counter. If you opted for Bulk Up or SD over Taunt, you fail to stallbreak, and stall in general becomes practically unwinnable for you if they have a reliable Suicune answer. And if you drop Wisp it completely defeats the purpose of using Talonflame, which handles one of the biggest threats to your team. Talonflame is definitely a viable option, though, as it hard walls Serperior, which completely annihilates this team. Serperior was such a pain to face when I used my variant of this on the ladder, I had to go to Scizor -> Hippowdon -> Scizor, so it'd take LO recoil and sand damage and be finished off with a Bullet Punch + LO, which is pretty dumb, but Serperior isn't common enough for me to want to remodel a solid team.

Another reason I like to use Mew is because off Knock Off and Taunt. Things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory can be pretty annoying, as no matter what variant you use, Ferro and Skarm are going to get up Spikes pretty freely, while only fearing a burn from Suicune. Mew lets you at least prevent more Spikes from getting on the field, as this helps Latios a lot. Knock Off also helps you a lot with Taunt + Toxic Heatran, which is a major threat to the team. Heatran cripples everything on the team, even Suicune, which is supposed to be your most solid counter. Suicune gets taunted, preventing it from boosting or resting, and Toxiced which slowly whittles it away. Mew knocks Heatran's Leftovers, which makes it a lot easier to whittle down.

Anyway, really solid team. My variant is probably one of my favorite ORAS teams atm, as it handles a lot of the meta well. I got reqs with it pretty easily, and it's had good success in Smogtour. I haven't tested yours yet, but it looks pretty solid. Hugo's variant was used a lot in SmogTour and is obviously a solid team. Roar on Suicune helps so much vs Stall that it doesn't need a Mew, which opens up the option to run Tornadus-T, which covers Gengar, Serprior, and Landorus-I. I like all three variants, mainly because Suicune + Scizor is sick core.

Cool looking team! I plan on trying it out at some point but there is one thing that seems like a huge problem, which is your team's susceptibility to status. It seems like all of your team members with the exception of Suicune get worn down really easily with status, and this is especially detrimental to bulkier teams. I know you consider your team balance, but it does seem to lean heavily towards semi-stall with how many blanket checks you're using. While the current meta probably isn't too prepared for Suicune, I can't imagine that Suicune can freely switch into any Scald/status user without getting pressured too much. It also surprises me that your team doesn't crumble to hazards + bisharp, which I find really common on the ladder.

Some replays would help me get a better idea of how this team functions beyond just bulking and sweeping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)