Special Sunday #smogonvgc Live Tournament: Win a Smash 3DS Mewtwo code!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, in an effort to promote activity here in the VGC subforum, we've been hosting a practice tournaments every week. This week however, were hosting a tournament with more to compete for with a special Sunday edition! The winner of this tournament will take home a free download code for the Super Smash Bros for 3DS Mewtwo DLC. All participants will receive a free Latios for entering, so be sure to at least join up and try!

This week, TheMantyke will be running the bracket. Our distributor is TBA

View the bracket and sign up for the tournament here.
Tournament begins 3pm EST

http://battlefy.com/smogonto/special-sunday-smogonvgc-live-tournament/5530637825ee6844003521a3/info
The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.

You will need to check in one hour before the tournament begins to participate.

Additionally, we're aiming to record the finals and put them up on the official Smogon Youtube Channel! This should go without saying, but please, if you make it to the finals, save your Battle Videos and post them here!

You can check out previous finals on the Smogon Youtube channel

The rules are simple:
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. Basic VGC rules here, folks. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Id' like to keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter.
  • The tournament will be Swiss, best of one with a top cut (with best of three matches) that will be determined by how many people enter (or depending on time constraints)
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate.

Latios
Nature: Timid - Ability: Levitate
IVs: 31/x/31/30/30/31
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpAtk / 252 Speed
All participants will be given an ORAS native Latios previously donated by P3DS. Latios lost its best pal in Dragon Gem this year, but it's still the fastest non-mega evolved Dragon-type out there and has monsterous Special Attack. This one even comes with Hidden Power Ground if you don't want to rely on a teammate to take out Heatran and company.

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember you're getting a free Latios. Stop by #smogonvgc this Sunday to show your support and try winning a Mewtwo code! I hope to see you then!

HOW TO RECEIVE LATIOS:
    1. Note: Latios will not begin distribution until some undecided time on Sunday. We will announce here when that time is decided. Please follow these instructions then.
    2. Catch a Cacnea
    3. Offer the Cacnea for a Latios on the GTS. If you haven't registered Latios in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
    4. Once the distribution has begun, we will enter a phrase here for you to add as a comment to your Cacnea. The phrase will be edited into these instructions when ready
    5. Once the distribution's begun, our distributor will check the GTS listing and give Latios to those who have entered the tournament
    6. Enjoy!

Hope you guys find the tournament a little more exciting this week!

Art done by KAIZA

Last edited:
What time is the tourney on sunday? The time depends on if I will participate or not
3 pm EST, as mentioned in the Battlefy link. Sorry, just now realized that I forgot to actually put that information in the thread.

Also, it just dawned on me, but I forgot to specify this is an NTSC Mewtwo code meaning I don't believe it'll work in europe... At the very least it does have the cash value of other mewtwo codes and I'm sure it'll be easy to trade for a PAL code.

Dammit, I'd love to participate, but I have a Skullgirls tournament that starts at the exact same time...

Two things, though:

1) How will we be notified of our matches and paired up with our opponents? The IRC chat, I assume?

2) "Latios...[is] the fastest non-mega evolved Dragon-type out there" - Noivern is faster (Noivern's 123 base Speed v. Latios's 110)

This is going on the same time as a nuggetbridge live. Most high level players will probably be playing in that one instead.
Whoops, didn't realize we were colliding with another tournament's schedule. At this point since we have a reasonably high number of participants and we've advertised it on social media, I'm going to keep it going at this current time. Sorry to anyone who's interested in playing in both tournaments and good luck in whichever you choose.

Edit: I actually just learned our normal tournament schedule collides with NB's too lol. We've accommodated for players playing in both before and I'm willing to accommodate reasonably with anyone playing in both so long as it doesn't drag the tourney. If you're in both, just message me on IRC once we've gone live and we'll work something out.

Last edited:
Would love to participate, but I'm currently soft resetting to get a TR Cress, so no tourney for me this week :(

Information on the Latios distribution:

• We will have two people distributing Latios. I will be distributing a small quantity and Esmeya will be helping with it from there on.
  • The distribution will begin at around 3:25pm EST
  • At about 3:10 EST, I will show what message you need to put in your GTS upload for us to give you Latios.
  • Once your round 1 match is done, upload you Cacnea to the GTS with the message and one of us will come around and give you the Latios
  • This may take a while to get all the Latios distributed. Don't worry, you'll get it eventually. If for some reason after the tournament's over you still don't have Latios, contact me by PM and we'll get it to you.

Check in is also now LIVE! If you're participating, check in on Battlefy now!

Congratulations to Sixonesix for taking the tournament! Also, thanks to everyone who participated, it's nice to see the tournament getting a little bigger every time.

<Kamaal> game 1: W7LW-WWWW-WWXT-2AHF
<Kamaal> GAME 2: HH9W-WWWW-WWXT-2AYF

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations Sixonesix!
Shoutouts TheMantyke for a flawless hosting, it was definitely a great tournament and I'm looking forward to play in another one

Also it's always nice to get two free Latios, since a spanish guy managed to accept the trade with his own Latios, thanks to him lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)