Special Walls

Add Cradily, Empoleon, Lanturn, and possibly Mantine to your list. then there are also Dusknoir, Spiritomb, Cresselia, and Bronzong, who can take either special or physical attacks with ease. Umbreon is another option, but doesnt really work quite so well in the current metagame.
I've used Lanturn and I can say it isn't a good special wall. It's typing is good for it, but the SpDef isn't good enough, even with Calm/252 (which is what I used), unless you use a ton of HP, which you really can't with Lanturn because you need the EVs all over the place.

Bliss with full SAtk? I don't think you need that much since you'll be stat-upping with CM anyway.
To kill Raikou. Otherwise, CMBlissey loses to it. I run 20 HP (fro Lefties) / 252 Def / 236 SAtk Modest. It hits exactly enough SAtk (269) to break 4 HP Raikou's sub. Against any of them with more HP.....

Jibaku, I also run Heatran, so I have some leeway when dealing with SpecsMence. Of course, he's pretty much died on Shoddy... It's wierd. But Heatran still makes an amazing Specs user and is more common. That's probably the only reason I'm not using Cradily, it can't take Specs Fire Blasts repeatly. Snorlax can because of Thick Fat. I'm not sure who takes Spec Flash Fire Fire Blast better, but that's because no one besides me using SpecsTran or Snorlax.

Hm.... Cradily, BLissey, Snorlax, Regice, and Empoleon cannot take SpecsTran or NP PoryZ very well. In fact no one can take PZ very well.... Stupid Hidden Power.

Umbreon is a really good special sponge IMO. Max HP and Sp Def of 394. Problem is he can't do much else. I always end up getting Taunted and destroyed by Gyarados, Bellyzard, etc...

I think if someone came up with a decent attacking set on Umbreon he might be useful.

I wish he got Roar. :(

Ludicolo is awesome, but it's best used on a well rounded team with good switching options and wish support. It laughs at quite a few things, and leech seed is always cool, but also has some serious problems if you don't have anyone to handle Yanmega/Togekiss. I still wouldn't consider it a 'wall' by any means, though.

The biggest problem with threads like these is they attempt to fill the Blissey 'spot', when they really should be about discussing the various other special walls and their places on teams. It's been noted that while Blissey is incredibly powerful at what it does, it doesn't fit on every team. It should also be noted that it is so common that movesets and EV spreads are created just for pokemon to beat it. Other special walls (that aren't beat by the same things that beat Blissey) have some viability just for that fact alone.

About Blissey being boring: When using it, it is. Regardless of the moveset, it's the same old boring mostly predictable blob. Once the opponent figures out your set, they can run circles around you, and you can't tell me CM Blissey is doing much of anything before that time. However, I don't find it boring to play against, because most good teams have a way to exploit it's existance in the first place. Regarding stall wars, in my experience it's been that most of them end up being two water pokemon rather than Blissey vs something anyway.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hyra, I run SpecsTran alot and Snorlax occasionally and they both do really well for me. For those who said Snorlax isn't a thread this generation, I have to say you gotta be kidding yourselves. I was taken by suprise by a Curselax and that SOB was so close to sweeping my team, it wasnt funny. Also, without Stealth Rock up, Togekiss and Regice work well, and special defensive Milotic is actually the best Heatran counter in the game.

If you want to use a non-Blissey special wall then you need to plan for it. The biggest reason that Blissey is the only viable special wall is moves with 180 or more power coming from a high SAtk stat. This includes things like all the dragons and many grassers/fires. If you carried something like Starmie to Surf/Ice Beam the previously mentioned pokes before they can launch an attack (obviously you'd struggle to switch in, but still) you'd be able to stand down high powered special threats and leave the rest to your tier two special wall.

Not the best example, but my point is that there are better ways of beating a SpecsMence than by trying to wall it.

No, we don't. The reason people use Blisseys is because people play to win. Let's not try and pretend any of the Pokemon you listed can even come close to Blissey's special defensive prowess.
But thats all it does, Special Wall, status and cleric. As soon as you run into anything mixed (increacingly common) you become 2HKO fodder. An alternative to Blissey that can take physicial hits is invaluable, and obviously its not taking special hits as well, but looking at Cresselia/Dusknoir, the seem to be fitting the role quite well. Not only that but Dusknoir can actually hurt things too.

This post was awful. Blissey is only used on teams without strategy?
I think he meant Blissey is strategy neutral, not requiring your team to have any special qualities like Sandstream for it to be useful.

In fact no one can take PZ very well.... Stupid Hidden Power.
Well walling Porygon-Z is not really 'taking it on', just throw something fast and strong at it and PZ will either run or fold.

Well, you can't deny that Blissey is the best special wall out there, but like most people I like some variety.

Lately I've really been liking CurseLax. In fact I just bred one (lol, advertising).
But back on topic, there's definitely other options. Cresselia is a great one, as it can do some walling on both ends of the spectrum (as well as being a fighting resist). Also, for some reason people never seem to take advantage of Dusknoir's special defense stat which is quite good. In sandstorm, Cradily and Empoleon are awesome special walls, not to mention Bronzong. The point is that there are lots of other options if you're tired of Blissey. You can be sick of it, but you can't deny that it's the best special wall out there.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the empoleon/gliscor tech.

Gliscor is weak to water and quad weak to ice

Empoleon resists water and quad resists ice

empoleon is weak to fighting, electric, and ground

Gliscor is immune to two and resists one.

Doing this will give some seriously awesome synergy instead of not using blissey for the sake of not using blissey.

That combo of yours fears the ever common electric/ice combo. I'd think Empoleon/Cresselia is more effective than Empoleon/Gliscor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)