Specially Defensive Phazing Scrafty

I realized that this differs from a set already on-site by only one move, but the purposes of the two sets are quite different, so it may be best just to slash the difference on the set already on-site? Anyway, the substitution is Dragon Tail over Crunch.

Specially Defensive Phazer Scrafty
Written: May 26, 2013
QC: 0/2
GC: 0/2

Name: Specially Defensive Phazer
Move 1: Dragon Tail
Move 2: Rest
Move 3: Bulk Up
Move 4: Drain Punch
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
Tanks pretty much any unboosted special hit without much trouble, and after a Bulk Up or two, most physical attackers will struggle to dent Scrafty.
Can wall continuously due to Shed Skin + Rest
Drain Punch is a secondary source of recovery.
Dragon Tail removes opponents' stat boosts and forces the next Pokemon to take entry hazard damage; can be done repeatedly with Scrafty's great bulk.

Additional Comments
252 HP/252 SpD with a Careful nature to maximize special bulk; physical bulk is covered up with Bulk Up.
Not designed to hit very hard until after 3 or so boosts; at first more damage will likely be from residual hazard damage
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD with an Impish nature and Amnesia over Bulk Up can also be done, but there are no boosts available to Scrafty's attack.

Teammates and Counters
Hazard setters are very important. Froslass is a particularly good partner since it is immune to Fighting-type moves, while Swampert can spread burns and use Roar, giving even more residual damage.
Machamp and Mienshao can break Scrafty before it Bulks Up 2 or 3 times with STAB Fighting-type moves. A Rapid Spinner, especially Blastoise or Hitmontop, can remove hazards that Scrafty relies on for residual damage to make it more manageable to wear down.
Forcing Scrafty out while it is asleep is a good idea. Then it will have to switch in again to try another setup, and this time you know what set it has.

tehy

Banned deucer.
You know, you need an AC, which explains some other moves or spreads you could try, as well as the purpose of the spread, and a few teammates, etc

Also, way too many paragraphs

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
I really don't think this set is necessary as it just a one move difference from the Bulk Up set, and Dragon Tail really isn't a great option on Scrafty. Using it as a specially defensive wall isn't a good idea either, as it doesn't have any useful resistances, as specially offensive Dark-types are seldom seen in UU, and all it can do to Ghost-types is force them out while taking a lot of damage from Focus Blast/HP Fighting/Fire Blast (Chandy). The Psychic-type immunity is really all it has going for it. This would've been a decent set in my eyes, but I don't know why I would use it over Bulk Up.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This plays too similarly to the standard Bulk Up set to warrant a separate analysis. I can add an AC mention of Dragon Tail into the existing set if QC wants, but other than that,

QC Rejected 1/3

In actuality, it may be best just to add Dragon Tail as part of the regular set's AC, rather than having a whole new analysis. I can provide replays of this set in action if you wish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)